Athabasca University

Athabasca University Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

I spent time at Athabasca University as a summer intern and I was then hired to cover a parental leave. The structure they provided allowed me to learn in an environment where my peers wanted to help me succeed. I would recommend working at this organization to anyone looking for structure and security.
It mostly depends on which Unit you are working in. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the students. The hardest part of the job was how much work to do. Most of the other staff are wonderful. I learned a lot from my coordinator.
Athabasca University, Canada's Open University, is dedicated to the removal of barriers that restrict access to and success in university-level study and to increasing equality of educational opportunity for adult learners worldwide.
Great place to work if you are looking for work/life balance and a relaxed environment. If you are a creative and show initiative you are more than welcomed.
Online working from home. Goes into the Edmonton campus for any exams. Can work from anywhere at anytime. Provide me with career services. Would recommend.
Athabasca University is quite safe place for working environment, I am doing independently and in collaboration with my guiding professor. Hopefully, if i get other opportunity i will cope up even in a difficult environment.
This was a contract with one major objective and several deliverables. Many very interesting people work there. I truly enjoyed the work and the people I worked with.
Pros
challenging work, great people
Cons
short term contract
I love working here, everyone is so friendly and training is so informative. I enjoy helping students every day and facing the many challenges this job entails. Theres so much professional support from colleges
AU's work environment is quite accommodating and flexible to the day to day needs its staff -- you can take time off when needed, there are programs in place to help you further your technical skills, people are friendly and helpful, and the benefits are good. But there's also a downside to this. People take a lot of time off -- too much time -- so projects linger, work never gets done, and you're always waiting for people to come back to work in order to get your own work done. Development processes are quite weak as well, so it can take days and even weeks to get access to the programs you need to do your job. AU has a new CIO, however, and things are turning around for the better. But it will take 3-5 years before any substantive changes in business culture and technical environment begin to bear fruit.
Pros
Good (maybe even too many) benefits, nice people
Cons
Immature processes, too much time off
1. Learn new technology 2. Excellent staff 3. Excellent salary 4. Flexible hours
Systems Analyst/Team lead/ Business Analyst/ ITM Control Framework and IT Audit/ ICT policies/procedures/standards/guidelines