Athabasca University

Athabasca University Employee Reviews in Athabasca, AB

Organization believes very strongly in work life balance. Somewhat slow to adapt to changes, but once embraced they are fully supported and adopted. Was an enjoyable place to work
It was an excellent place to work & most people were very friendly. We got lots of time off & when my son passed they were very helpful & even provided me with a counselor & gave me plenty of time off.
Unfortunately the many higher ups at AU have no idea what the regular workers do or are forced to do. Continually short staffed. But the workers are great, the pay is great and the benefits, if you can get a permanent job, are awesome. They don't like hiring for permanent positions, unfortunately.
Pros
Great staff, great pay, great benefits.
Cons
Too many higher ups who get paid way too much and do too little.
After working at Athabasca University for approx 15 yrs,i truly believed i had found my dream job!And it was for the first 10 yrs!The last 5 were terrible!The University is so broke that there whole thought process is how do we get and keep money!I have dealt with H.R,payroll,supervisors that should never have gotten that postion!and have no idea how to do the job!There is no empathy,respest of workers rights,and bulling is unbelivable!Work was great,supervisors lie and bully to get what they want,and H.R is of no use!To the point were i had to leave! Way to much favouring going on with supervisors and workers that were friends for yrs!Very sad!
Pros
loved the job
Cons
incompetency of supers and above!Nobody cares! Bulling is unbelivable
There is room for advancement at Athabasca University and management staff are very understanding and supportive. For permanent positions there is a great benefits package as well.
Pros
Free parking at Athabasca Campus
Cons
Athabasca location is 2 hours north of Edmonton
This is an area that was totally different from what I was used to, information technology but very promising, having worked in various areas in the past
Ask me face to face and I will share my experience, living in a small town, in northern AB and somewhat isolated area 90 minutes north of Edmonton. I loved my neighbours and people are very friendly. Many different points of view and opinions as to the operations of the University, staff, facility and how to operate a post secondary institute with multiple collective agreements. Challenging.
Pros
The Town
Cons
Long Hours, High Turner Over in Staff
This institution provides an excellent alternative to traditional post secondary education for student who require flexibility for their schedules. In addition, the work environment is beautiful and the people are kind, supportive, and energetic.
Pros
beautiful landscape, friendliness of staff
Cons
wait time for permanent positions
While the University had excellent staff, the management wasn't so hot. Departments were pressured to cut costs and services to students was compromised. Unsure the shape they're in now.
Athabasca University is a great place to work, however as of recent continuous change of management resulted in lack of direction, and leadership. Due to recent cuts atmosphere is pretty grim (unlike several years back when it was awesome).
Friendly staff and colleagues Good work life balance Great benefits Lots to learn and work on Good Job security Reasonably good management
I was an information center attendant. First point of contact between students, tutors, professors, and any department of the University. We tried to assist and accomplish any problems or questions at our level. Very fast paced environment, always changing. The most enjoyable part of the job was being thanked by the students for assisting them in a prompt, professional, friendly manner and hopefully finding a suitable solution.
Pros
Wonderful experience
Awesome Everything an employee would want. wonderful or perhaps best location.. and especially from my rural home.
Pros
too many to list
Cons
not many
Excellent employer. Worked for over ten years at AU. 8 years in Athabasca, Alberta and 2 years in the Edmonton office of Athabasca University.
Athabasca is a great place to work. Excellent oppertunities for anyone wishing for advancement. Leadership for the most part is a very good experience.