Athabasca University Employee Reviews

Productive Educational Institute
Student (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2019
Online working from home.
Goes into the Edmonton campus for any exams.
Can work from anywhere at anytime.
Provide me with career services.
Would recommend.
Na
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2019
Athabasca University is quite safe place for working environment, I am doing independently and in collaboration with my guiding professor. Hopefully, if i get other opportunity i will cope up even in a difficult environment.
Overall a good job
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB18 January 2019
Unfortunately the many higher ups at AU have no idea what the regular workers do or are forced to do. Continually short staffed. But the workers are great, the pay is great and the benefits, if you can get a permanent job, are awesome. They don't like hiring for permanent positions, unfortunately.
Pros
Great staff, great pay, great benefits.
Cons
Too many higher ups who get paid way too much and do too little.
Not a great place now!
Assitant building operator (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB7 January 2019
After working at Athabasca University for approx 15 yrs,i truly believed i had found my dream job!And it was for the first 10 yrs!The last 5 were terrible!The University is so broke that there whole thought process is how do we get and keep money!I have dealt with H.R,payroll,supervisors that should never have gotten that postion!and have no idea how to do the job!There is no empathy,respest of workers rights,and bulling is unbelivable!Work was great,supervisors lie and bully to get what they want,and H.R is of no use!To the point were i had to leave! Way to much favouring going on with supervisors and workers that were friends for yrs!Very sad!
Pros
loved the job
Cons
incompetency of supers and above!Nobody cares! Bulling is unbelivable
Great workplace environment
Administrative Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB21 December 2018
There is room for advancement at Athabasca University and management staff are very understanding and supportive. For permanent positions there is a great benefits package as well.
Pros
Free parking at Athabasca Campus
Cons
Athabasca location is 2 hours north of Edmonton
a great place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2018
This was a contract with one major objective and several deliverables. Many very interesting people work there. I truly enjoyed the work and the people I worked with.
Pros
challenging work, great people
Cons
short term contract
Fun work place
Student Support Centre Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 July 2018
I love working here, everyone is so friendly and training is so informative. I enjoy helping students every day and facing the many challenges this job entails. Theres so much professional support from colleges
Positive change is coming to AU, but problems remain
Senior Developer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2018
AU's work environment is quite accommodating and flexible to the day to day needs its staff -- you can take time off when needed, there are programs in place to help you further your technical skills, people are friendly and helpful, and the benefits are good.

But there's also a downside to this. People take a lot of time off -- too much time -- so projects linger, work never gets done, and you're always waiting for people to come back to work in order to get your own work done.

Development processes are quite weak as well, so it can take days and even weeks to get access to the programs you need to do your job.

AU has a new CIO, however, and things are turning around for the better. But it will take 3-5 years before any substantive changes in business culture and technical environment begin to bear fruit.
Pros
Good (maybe even too many) benefits, nice people
Cons
Immature processes, too much time off
Fun to work for certain people.. as AUPE
Web/Digital Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2018
This business would be running much better to be moved to Edmonton: but resisted by majority of local community

People who are working remotely -- very good environment
Pros
money in bank
Cons
local environment
Beautiful
Quality Assurance Technologist/Digitizer (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB19 August 2017
This is an area that was totally different from what I was used to, information technology but very promising, having worked in various areas in the past
Interesting
Labour Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB20 July 2017
Ask me face to face and I will share my experience, living in a small town, in northern AB and somewhat isolated area 90 minutes north of Edmonton. I loved my neighbours and people are very friendly. Many different points of view and opinions as to the operations of the University, staff, facility and how to operate a post secondary institute with multiple collective agreements. Challenging.
Pros
The Town
Cons
Long Hours, High Turner Over in Staff
excels in distance education
Information Centre Attendant (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB16 June 2017
This institution provides an excellent alternative to traditional post secondary education for student who require flexibility for their schedules. In addition, the work environment is beautiful and the people are kind, supportive, and energetic.
Pros
beautiful landscape, friendliness of staff
Cons
wait time for permanent positions
Financial Trouble!
Senior Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB10 June 2017
While the University had excellent staff, the management wasn't so hot. Departments were pressured to cut costs and services to students was compromised. Unsure the shape they're in now.
Productive and fun workplace
Student (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2016
As I contractor willing to be a permanent staff, I desire to work with a productive and fun workplace like this. My decision was based on the experience I had working with the staffs and management of the company. It was a great experience all together.
Love working here
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Graduate Studies17 February 2016
Working for AU has been the most enlightening and amazing experience. I love working for AU. Benefits, competitive wages and salary.. room for advancement and opportunities.
Senior Web Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB7 February 2016
Athabasca University is a great place to work, however as of recent continuous change of management resulted in lack of direction, and leadership. Due to recent cuts atmosphere is pretty grim (unlike several years back when it was awesome).
Amazing school, great support
Full-time Student (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 September 2015
I would highly recommend this institution to anyone who is looking for an alternative to traditional, face-to-face learning.
Nice and easy going place to work
Intermediate Web Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB11 March 2015
Friendly staff and colleagues
Good work life balance
Great benefits
Lots to learn and work on
Good Job security
Reasonably good management
I was the first line of contact between students and the University. We assisted students, tutors, professors, and tried to
Information Centre Attendant (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB3 September 2014
I was an information center attendant. First point of contact between students, tutors, professors, and any department of the University. We tried to assist and accomplish any problems or questions at our level.
Very fast paced environment, always changing.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being thanked by the students for assisting them in a prompt, professional, friendly manner and hopefully finding a suitable solution.
Pros
Wonderful experience
Productve, Learn new things