Athabasca University

Athabasca University Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
I spent time at Athabasca University as a summer intern and I was then hired to cover a parental leave. The structure they provided allowed me to learn in an environment where my peers wanted to help me succeed. I would recommend working at this organization to anyone looking for structure and security.
Staff are nice, but you aren't really able to move up. If you like to stay in your one position and not looking further this is the fit for you. Benefits are great and once you are in your job is fairly secure.
Organization believes very strongly in work life balance. Somewhat slow to adapt to changes, but once embraced they are fully supported and adopted. Was an enjoyable place to work
It mostly depends on which Unit you are working in.
The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the students.

The hardest part of the job was how much work to do.

Most of the other staff are wonderful.

I learned a lot from my coordinator.
I am very proud to have had the opportunity to do research under one of the professors at AU. I was supported and found much opportunity to grow.
It was an excellent place to work & most people were very friendly. We got lots of time off & when my son passed they were very helpful & even provided me with a counselor & gave me plenty of time off.
Athabasca University, Canada's Open University, is dedicated to the removal of barriers that restrict access to and success in university-level study and to increasing equality of educational opportunity for adult learners worldwide.
Great place to work if you are looking for work/life balance and a relaxed environment. If you are a creative and show initiative you are more than welcomed.
Online working from home.
Goes into the Edmonton campus for any exams.

Can work from anywhere at anytime.

Provide me with career services.

Would recommend.
Athabasca University is quite safe place for working environment, I am doing independently and in collaboration with my guiding professor. Hopefully, if i get other opportunity i will cope up even in a difficult environment.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Athabasca University?
Unfortunately the many higher ups at AU have no idea what the regular workers do or are forced to do. Continually short staffed. But the workers are great, the pay is great and the benefits, if you can get a permanent job, are awesome. They don't like hiring for permanent positions, unfortunately.
Pros
Great staff, great pay, great benefits.
Cons
Too many higher ups who get paid way too much and do too little.
After working at Athabasca University for approx 15 yrs,i truly believed i had found my dream job!And it was for the first 10 yrs!The last 5 were terrible!The University is so broke that there whole thought process is how do we get and keep money!I have dealt with H.R,payroll,supervisors that should never have gotten that postion!and have no idea how to do the job!There is no empathy,respest of workers rights,and bulling is unbelivable!Work was great,supervisors lie and bully to get what they want,and H.R is of no use!To the point were i had to leave! Way to much favouring going on with supervisors and workers that were friends for yrs!Very sad!
Pros
loved the job
Cons
incompetency of supers and above!Nobody cares! Bulling is unbelivable
There is room for advancement at Athabasca University and management staff are very understanding and supportive. For permanent positions there is a great benefits package as well.
Pros
Free parking at Athabasca Campus
Cons
Athabasca location is 2 hours north of Edmonton
This was a contract with one major objective and several deliverables. Many very interesting people work there. I truly enjoyed the work and the people I worked with.
Pros
challenging work, great people
Cons
short term contract
I love working here, everyone is so friendly and training is so informative. I enjoy helping students every day and facing the many challenges this job entails. Theres so much professional support from colleges
AU's work environment is quite accommodating and flexible to the day to day needs its staff -- you can take time off when needed, there are programs in place to help you further your technical skills, people are friendly and helpful, and the benefits are good.

But there's also a downside to this. People take a lot of time off -- too much time -- so projects linger, work never gets done, and you're always waiting for people to come back to work in order to get your own work done.

Development processes are quite weak as well, so it can take days and even weeks to get access to the programs you need to do your job.

AU has a new CIO, however, and things are turning around for the better. But it will take 3-5 years before any substantive changes in business culture and technical environment begin to bear fruit.
Pros
Good (maybe even too many) benefits, nice people
Cons
Immature processes, too much time off
This business would be running much better to be moved to Edmonton: but resisted by majority of local community

People who are working remotely -- very good environment
Pros
money in bank
Cons
local environment
This is an area that was totally different from what I was used to, information technology but very promising, having worked in various areas in the past
Ask me face to face and I will share my experience, living in a small town, in northern AB and somewhat isolated area 90 minutes north of Edmonton. I loved my neighbours and people are very friendly. Many different points of view and opinions as to the operations of the University, staff, facility and how to operate a post secondary institute with multiple collective agreements. Challenging.
Pros
The Town
Cons
Long Hours, High Turner Over in Staff
This institution provides an excellent alternative to traditional post secondary education for student who require flexibility for their schedules. In addition, the work environment is beautiful and the people are kind, supportive, and energetic.
Pros
beautiful landscape, friendliness of staff
Cons
wait time for permanent positions
While the University had excellent staff, the management wasn't so hot. Departments were pressured to cut costs and services to students was compromised. Unsure the shape they're in now.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Athabasca University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2