ATCO Ltd.

Canada33 reviews

Clear
3.6Pay & benefits

ATCO Group Job Evaluation

Very good company to work for. Great people and benefits. Company was more than willing to give employees training either internally or at an educational facility

OK for a paycheque but lots of room for improvement - keep looking if you have options

My experience with ATCO was mixed and as I progressed through the company it became clearer to me that this is truly a ship lost at sea.Morale is generally poor and the company constantly overhauls its strategy due to a lack of leadership and conviction. As a result, a huge amount of time and resources are spent chasing projects with little chance of success. The company has been selling the furniture to pay for the house - it sold a number of businesses over the last few years to maintain its dividend - leading to limited job security. Many employees in the head office are overworked and demoralized. The most successful people in the organization are those that toe the line and will simply agree or advocate for the CEO’s personal interests (“yes men”). My experience in dealing with her at the executive level suggests she has a limited understanding of the business and the company has consistently underperformed its peers over the last 5-10 years (but don’t expect any accountability at the top levels).ATCO is also quite old school and you should not expect a high degree of flexibility in terms of working (except to work longer hours).The company positions itself as a champion of integrity but senior management’s actions are consistently contrary. The ownership structure of ATCO/CU and the organizational structure (Nancy Southern as dual CEO/Chair and controlling shareholder of both companies) are ripe with conflicts of interest. The senior management ranks and Board are both old clubs with plenty of family and friends.On the positive side, the company’s pay and benefits -

Pros

Decent pay for the industry, worked with some great and very smart people, interesting projects

Cons

Poor morale, ineffective leadership group, long hours, limited job security or advancement opportunities

Poor Executive Leadership

Early in my career at ATCO advancement was based on merit and the Managers and VP's that I worked for were good leaders that obviously cared about their staff. As I became more senior and became exposed to the CEO, it became crystal clear that she was a very poor leader and that she simply did not understand most of the business. This would have been tolerable if she had been more honest and ethical and didn't punish employees for simply disagreeing with her. She surrounded herself with "yes-men" and fired those who showed actual business and leadership skill. ATCO used to have a strong external Board of Directors but lately, the roles have been increasingly filled with weak insiders who are beholding to the CEO. Ultimately, the company was very disappointing and I left it due to the poor morale, atrocious work life balance and clear lack of ethical leadership at the top.

Pros

I worked with some great people, Advancement opportunities below VP level

Cons

Poor C-Suite skill/leadership, atrocious work life balance, poor morale, out of market (low) compensation

Supportive and Respectful Work Environment

I have been with ATCO for 16 years and have had the opportunity to develop teams, departments, processes and myself over this time. Like any organization, you need to take initiative, and if you do, you are definitely rewarded. ATCO supports their teams through professional development opportunities and involvement with community initiatives. One aspect that I particularly respect is ATCO's commitment to supporting mental health / wellbeing of their employees.

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Development Opportunities

Cons

Employees success is limited to THEIR OWN initiative, you are not a self starter, you may not develop as quickly as you would where seniority trumps effort

It was a great place to work. I had lots of fun working for Atco

I had lots of overtime hours and made lots of money .. I had a good salary and a good supervisor which made the job a fun work site yet we accomplished a lot.

Good Work Place. Not much work life balance

The pay and benefits are decent. There is no job security. Old-school management practices ( 1980's ) Typical 8 am to 4 pm work in a cubicle. Overall I had a good experience with my manager.

Difficult environment

Old-school management practices that haven't changed since the 80's. Plenty of nepotism and favouritism. Lots of micromanagement. Very toxic work environment.

Pros

Good health/dental benefits

Cons

Poor change management, nepotism

Company is going downhill fast

The pay and benefits are decent. The work atmosphere can be quite toxic. Morale is low. Management is dishonest. There is no job security. Many employees hate working for the company and only stay for the pay. Most of them would leave ATCO in a heartbeat if they could earn the same money somewhere else. If you don't mind working for a shady company that doesn't care about its employees, this could be the place for you.

Great teams

Loved working in ATCO. People are fantastic and knowledgeable. Overtime can be excessive. Salaries and benefits are good. Overall, learned a lot while working there.

Poor senior management

I worked for two ATCO companies. My first was ATCO Itek. My immediate manager was fantastic and my co-workers were great. I had a wonderful experience with this particular ATCO company, which unfortunately no longer exists. After hoping to change my career path and moving to ATCO Pipelines in a different role I experienced a completely different environment. ATCO Pipelines management team simply do not empower the staff. There is a level of complacency that I've never experienced in a company before. The lack of leadership and guidance ultimately led to a miserable experience. That, along with a President who treats his staff like children and seems to be on a continual power trip, led to my eventual departure. To sum it up, each ATCO company is different, so do your research before accepting an offer.

Pros

Great benefits and solid pay

Cons

Poor senior management

Atco

It was a good working experience with that company I would work for them again my co-workers also enjoyed working there learning how to build the towers for the power lines was a good learning experience.

Pros

no free lunches

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ATCO Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement