ATCO Ltd.

ATCO Ltd. Employee Reviews

Canada44 reviews

opportunitybenefitcompanygoodemployeepaymanagementpeople

Decent place to work

Working here definitely has its perks. Benefits are reasonably good and the pay is about average for the industry. There could be more opportunities for advancement that are currently not present.

Disappointing

If you are apart of the union, they will not help and if you are out of scope, you'll have to be a yes man to be able to move up. ATCO doesn't like free thinkers. They'd rather have employees who will tow the company line.10 years ago they were an amazing company to work for, but since they've bid on federal contracts they've become extremely greedy and disappointing. The culture in the field is non existant but upper management refuses to believe this, nor will make an attempt to change.If you're ok with being a pawn and go through everyday like its ground hog day, then this is the company for you.

Insights into ATCO Ltd.

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Totally different company then what the public see

This is your typical knee jerk company. Nothing proactive, they just react to the situation. They preach this “Atco family” but at the end of the day you are just the number they give you. If you can think for yourself you won’t fit in here. They like to have employees that just do as there told and don’t ask questions. If you work hard all you get is more work. The culture here is messed up, lazy and incompetent workers thrive here.

Pros

Wage

Cons

Culture, Senior management, corporate out of touch

Safety first. Family oriented.

Safety is number 1 priority.People's development and training is ongoing. Family is priority when it come to emergencies. Professionalism is practiced at the work place. Great benefits and wages. Management are open and easy to talk with.

Very fulfilling workplace

Atco has treated me very well with very minor and few exceptions that were overcome.I would say Atco has great opportunities and offer financial stability.

It does not live up to public image presented.

A typical day at work I have almost always been busy. I learned that workload distribution and leveling is very poor depending on departments. Over the last 6 years many changes have occurred- downsizing etc at all levels. This has resulted in a stress and overwork for many who remain. All employees are not treated equal or fairly by supervisors/managers/ executive. The hardest part of the job is working hard and doing what is asked of you and not being appreciated. Instead you get asked for more and more beyond what a person can reasonably do. There is also blame being misdirected and accountability falls on those who have no ability to be heard. I hope ATCO improves. Growth

Wonderful company

Atco is a fabulous company to work for They have a variety of positions to suite people of all walks of life The rate of pay is fair as are the benefits etc as it’s a union company

Pros

Supportive, vast options weekly pay

A decent, stable career for someone if you can stomach the company.

Pros: Solid 40 Hr work week. Double OT. Pay is OK if your in the field.Decent work/life balance.Cons:Company is ran like a giant high-school with all the problems associated with it. Very corrupt. Currently under investigationMicromanaged in every way, shape and form.Toxic work culture in the offices and field.No advancement opportunities.Terrible management and leadership.Constant infighting between employees.Would not recommend working here unless you really need a job.

Good pay/poor culture

ATCO was a premier employer 5 years ago, but has turned into everything they boasted not being… a greedy shareholder driven corporation. They no longer care about employees instead only care about appeasing international organizations and looking good in front of their global elite friends.

Great place to learn with helpful coworkers

Lots of opportunities to learn when just starting out. Most coworkers (from other departments as well) were friendly and helpful.Workplace culture is quite positive; get your work done and if you can't, ask for help early.Systems in place to request work from other teams is a little messy.

Pros

Amply opportunities to gain skills and experience, Friendly coworkers, Good work/life balance for the most part

Cons

Slightly lower than average pay, Management decisions sometimes seem abrupt

Horrible Experience

Management is antiquated and even though, as I found out later, several employees had moved in and out of this position, they never looked at the inept manager as the cause. Promises by management were made but never kept. Human Resources department lacks experience and maturity.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Not enough money in the world to make me go through that nightmare.

Management is terrible, couldn’t fight their way out of a paper bag

I wouldn’t recommend working for this company site level management and senior management in Calgary is brutal. They dont listen to improvement ideas and bulldoze everyone . The staff change over has unheard of high numbers. Every shift, of a staff of 50-60 workers, had at least 9-11 new hires at the site I was at. ATCO couldn’t keep a safety advisor on the books, there were so many of them that came and left. It’s sad

ok work environment

Overall Great People, Good Company..Good wages, and job security. Adventurous and diverse work conditions.Great team for the most part. Very structured environment with clear processes.

Dishonest Management

First of all, some of those negative reviews were bang on.They told me that I would be working at RUMI, which is a division of Atco Energy.They lied.The management stated that they would work with you.... they lied.I was let go after only working 8 days, and that was in training. I wasn't late or disruptive. Dont know what happened.Even when they terminated me, no reason was given. ( I know that they don't have to) but would have liked to have known what I did.There were multiple quizzes daily. Abd they stated that it doesn't count, they just want to see where you are and how you are comprehending things. They fired me without a chance to complete the finals.The trainer is fine, but some of his actions are questionable.If you have any type of anxiety issues taking test, I wouldn't take this job.There is so much to say regarding this company that I learned.Biggest issue is that the managers have no integrity, and are not willing to work with you.

Pros

Good pay and benifets

Cons

Shady Management

OK for a paycheque but lots of room for improvement - keep looking if you have options

My experience with ATCO was mixed and as I progressed through the company it became clearer to me that this is truly a ship lost at sea.Morale is generally poor and the company constantly overhauls its strategy due to a lack of leadership and conviction. As a result, a huge amount of time and resources are spent chasing projects with little chance of success. The company has been selling the furniture to pay for the house - it sold a number of businesses over the last few years to maintain its dividend - leading to limited job security. Many employees in the head office are overworked and demoralized. The most successful people in the organization are those that toe the line and will simply agree or advocate for the CEO’s personal interests (“yes men”). My experience in dealing with her at the executive level suggests she has a limited understanding of the business and the company has consistently underperformed its peers over the last 5-10 years (but don’t expect any accountability at the top levels).ATCO is also quite old school and you should not expect a high degree of flexibility in terms of working (except to work longer hours).The company positions itself as a champion of integrity but senior management’s actions are consistently contrary. The ownership structure of ATCO/CU and the organizational structure (Nancy Southern as dual CEO/Chair and controlling shareholder of both companies) are ripe with conflicts of interest. The senior management ranks and Board are both old clubs with plenty of family and friends.On the positive side, the company’s pay and benefits -

Pros

Decent pay for the industry, worked with some great and very smart people, interesting projects

Cons

Poor morale, ineffective leadership group, long hours, limited job security or advancement opportunities

ATCO Group Job Evaluation

Very good company to work for. Great people and benefits. Company was more than willing to give employees training either internally or at an educational facility

Great

Environmental cleanup learned alot about the damage and care for wildlife. How to find oilpucks. How to clean and keep the cleanup area contamination free.

Pros

Learning about the oil industry and environment

Cons

Sometimes hot and strenuous but very worthwhile

Poor Executive Leadership

Early in my career at ATCO advancement was based on merit and the Managers and VP's that I worked for were good leaders that obviously cared about their staff. As I became more senior and became exposed to the CEO, it became crystal clear that she was a very poor leader and that she simply did not understand most of the business. This would have been tolerable if she had been more honest and ethical and didn't punish employees for simply disagreeing with her. She surrounded herself with "yes-men" and fired those who showed actual business and leadership skill. ATCO used to have a strong external Board of Directors but lately, the roles have been increasingly filled with weak insiders who are beholding to the CEO. Ultimately, the company was very disappointing and I left it due to the poor morale, atrocious work life balance and clear lack of ethical leadership at the top.

Pros

I worked with some great people, Advancement opportunities below VP level

Cons

Poor C-Suite skill/leadership, atrocious work life balance, poor morale, out of market (low) compensation

productive and fun workplace with a gym at certain locations/

I would highly recommend working at ATCO. Management was very professional and would make sure you were fit for the job before you start working. Proper training and monthly meetings to make sure everyone was on the same page.

Supportive and Respectful Work Environment

I have been with ATCO for 16 years and have had the opportunity to develop teams, departments, processes and myself over this time. Like any organization, you need to take initiative, and if you do, you are definitely rewarded. ATCO supports their teams through professional development opportunities and involvement with community initiatives. One aspect that I particularly respect is ATCO's commitment to supporting mental health / wellbeing of their employees.

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Development Opportunities

Cons

Employees success is limited to THEIR OWN initiative, you are not a self starter, you may not develop as quickly as you would where seniority trumps effort

Mostly Good

Was treated well at ATCO and enjoyed my role there. Things became uneasy during tough times and eventually I was laid off. Apart from that I enjoyed my 2.5 years with the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ATCO Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement