ATCO Ltd.

ATCO Ltd. Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
Was treated well at ATCO and enjoyed my role there. Things became uneasy during tough times and eventually I was laid off. Apart from that I enjoyed my 2.5 years with the company.
Early in my career at ATCO advancement was based on merit and the Managers and VP's that I worked for were good leaders that obviously cared about their staff.

As I became more senior and became exposed to the CEO, it became crystal clear that she was a very poor leader and that she simply did not understand most of the business. This would have been tolerable if she had been more honest and ethical and didn't punish employees for simply disagreeing with her. She surrounded herself with "yes-men" and fired those who showed actual business and leadership skill. ATCO used to have a strong external Board of Directors but lately, the roles have been increasingly filled with weak insiders who are beholding to the CEO.

Ultimately, the company was very disappointing and I left it due to the poor morale, atrocious work life balance and clear lack of ethical leadership at the top.
Pros
I worked with some great people, Advancement opportunities below VP level
Cons
Poor C-Suite skill/leadership, atrocious work life balance, poor morale, out of market (low) compensation
I would highly recommend working at ATCO. Management was very professional and would make sure you were fit for the job before you start working. Proper training and monthly meetings to make sure everyone was on the same page.
I have been with ATCO for 16 years and have had the opportunity to develop teams, departments, processes and myself over this time. Like any organization, you need to take initiative, and if you do, you are definitely rewarded. ATCO supports their teams through professional development opportunities and involvement with community initiatives. One aspect that I particularly respect is ATCO's commitment to supporting mental health / wellbeing of their employees.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Development Opportunities
Cons
Employees success is limited to THEIR OWN initiative, you are not a self starter, you may not develop as quickly as you would where seniority trumps effort
Very understanding Supervisors and job description are very clear. Safety is top notch and I would recommend ATCO anytime anyday.
If you ever want to get trained in any of the trade it's a great place to learn from the best in Calgary.

Production workers and first year apprentice gets really good pay compared to other places.
First off to work at atco you don’t have to set the bar very high . Management are not very supportive in providing the proper training or tools for you to carry out your day to day tasks are do not support field staff at all. You are just a number and a fall guy for the management when they fail as they always do, I would not recommend any one I know to apply with this company at all.
I had lots of overtime hours and made lots of money .. I had a good salary and a good supervisor which made the job a fun work site yet we accomplished a lot.
People are generally great to work with but the opportunities to advance are limited. Seems like the best opportunities go to those that are close friends or family of senior management / executives. Hiring is the same
Wish I could have been hired back - liked the work and my supervisor. Training could have been a bit better but overall good environment. The systems were easy to use.
Pros
Oracle and Inspyrus
Cons
A few bullies in the midst
I really enjoyed my time at Atco and would work there again. The company is well run and well organized in my opinion. If the right opportunity came up I would go back.
The pay and benefits are decent.
There is no job security.

Old-school management practices ( 1980's )

Typical 8 am to 4 pm work in a cubicle.

Overall I had a good experience with my manager.
the shift was long but you had a long time home. not for everyone, you much be a outside person to work here. must like cold weather and dont mind the all days i summer and all nights i winter
The Bonnyville office had best work schedule ever. Had issues with construction supervisor but the rest of the company was the best management system I have ever been part of.
Well planned training program. Opportunities in abundance.
Well experienced seniors, willing to transfer skills.

All supervisors and managers are well conversant . Ve
Old-school management practices that haven't changed since the 80's.
Plenty of nepotism and favouritism.

Lots of micromanagement.

Very toxic work environment.
Pros
Good health/dental benefits
Cons
Poor change management, nepotism
Typical 8am to 4pm work in a cubicle. The people that I worked with are exceptionally helpful in teaching what the company wants.

Overall I had a good experience with my employer and job life for the time I was there.
Pros
Good Staff
Cons
Cubicle Work
build towers for power lines we would piece and bolt them together i learned a great deal and different areas and aspects of the company in the years i worked for them the work was good i loved working for the company but the contract with them came to an end the hardest part of the job was the -45 weather we had that one year we had a hard time trying to burn material out it was great got a chance to experience many different areas of the field
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
i learned a lot from a camp job and developed my skills specially working with different kind of people,and i really enjoy my day working in the camp with the wonderful management and workers.
Pros
free acommodation including food.
Cons
nothing
ATCO has great people and if you are willing to learn the opportunities for personal development is limitless. However, there is no laid out policy/path for career advancement - be prepared for friends and family of the Family to get role you are deserving of.
was a good work experience coming out of high school, learned alot of things and became skilled at basic maintenance, learned how to work with any enviorment.
Pros
free food
Cons
very cold and isolated
The pay and benefits are decent. The work atmosphere can be quite toxic. Morale is low. Management is dishonest. There is no job security.

Many employees hate working for the company and only stay for the pay. Most of them would leave ATCO in a heartbeat if they could earn the same money somewhere else.

If you don't mind working for a shady company that doesn't care about its employees, this could be the place for you.