ATCO Ltd. Employee Reviews

Powerline Technician (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB31 August 2019
The Bonnyville office had best work schedule ever. Had issues with construction supervisor but the rest of the company was the best management system I have ever been part of.
Excellent company
Engineer, Field Engineering, T & D EGBU (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2019
Well planned training program. Opportunities in abundance.
Well experienced seniors, willing to transfer skills.
All supervisors and managers are well conversant . Ve
Difficult environment
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 August 2019
Old-school management practices that haven't changed since the 80's.
Plenty of nepotism and favouritism.
Lots of micromanagement.
Very toxic work environment.
Pros
Good health/dental benefits
Cons
Poor change management, nepotism
productive workplace
Sawhand/ Laborer (Former Employee) –  Atikameg, AB22 October 2018
build towers for power lines we would piece and bolt them together i learned a great deal and different areas and aspects of the company in the years i worked for them the work was good i loved working for the company but the contract with them came to an end the hardest part of the job was the -45 weather we had that one year we had a hard time trying to burn material out it was great got a chance to experience many different areas of the field
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
yes there's alot of fun like table tennis and gym also
Camp attendant (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan16 September 2018
i learned a lot from a camp job and developed my skills specially working with different kind of people,and i really enjoy my day working in the camp with the wonderful management and workers.
Pros
free acommodation including food.
Cons
nothing
Transitioning Company
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2018
ATCO has great people and if you are willing to learn the opportunities for personal development is limitless. However, there is no laid out policy/path for career advancement - be prepared for friends and family of the Family to get role you are deserving of.
good working enviorment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Resolute Bay, NU23 May 2018
was a good work experience coming out of high school, learned alot of things and became skilled at basic maintenance, learned how to work with any enviorment.
Pros
free food
Cons
very cold and isolated
Company is going downhill fast
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 May 2018
The pay and benefits are decent. The work atmosphere can be quite toxic. Morale is low. Management is dishonest. There is no job security.

Many employees hate working for the company and only stay for the pay. Most of them would leave ATCO in a heartbeat if they could earn the same money somewhere else.

If you don't mind working for a shady company that doesn't care about its employees, this could be the place for you.
Good Place To Stay Away From
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB21 March 2018
The CEO of ATCO is not to be trusted in my view. She has a hard time telling the truth because she spends a lot of time telling so many lies. One after the other. As a result of her lack of character, she controls the people below her to have the same unscrupulous - do anything to cover up and make a dollar approach.
Her workplace is conducive to harassment and bullying. You're just another number here and you might as well get to know your place.
Pros
Some Extrordinary Supervisors and Managers, Some great staff members, Some good safety policies
Cons
Harrasement, Black listing of some employee's, Nepotism, Workplace Bullying, Favortism
stressful
Journeyman Carpenter (Former Employee) –  British Columbia21 February 2018
Stressful to work for foreman, micro managed a lot got pulled of job tasks never got to finish tasks.foreman's always try to through you under the bus ,jepordize job position.
amazing company
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 February 2018
working 10;00 am - 10;00 pm
through the years of working at ATCO i learned how to work as a team player
excellent management, very skilled
hardest part of the job was challenging the other cooks to work up to high standards, and responsibility
i enjoyed working a manager position during night shift because i knew to make sure everyone was happy at work
Pros
good relationship with management and the chef
Cons
having to remind staff about safety
Nice place to work at but advancement limited
Lead Hand/ (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2017
Working as lead hand supervising about 6 to 8 women in the skinning dept. later and electricians . Making and installing wiring harnesses.
In the skinning department. The skin to the trailer or unit where installed
Pros
Great place to learn new things
Cons
Stifled avacementment
Great teams
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2017
Loved working in ATCO. People are fantastic and knowledgeable.
Overtime can be excessive.
Salaries and benefits are good.

Overall, learned a lot while working there.
Mean people, outdated, low morale
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2017
The management staff are mean, rude and backstabbing only looking out for themselves. They give no incentives to staff to encourage them to do better or grow within the company. Everything is outdated and sure they say things will get better but this has been the case for years, the small little improvements don't make up for a number of things wrong with working there. It is a toxic environment.
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2017
Provided hospitality reception services to the camp residents
- Compiled, copied, sorted, and filed records of office activities, reservations requests, weekly billings and corrections
- Accommodated for reservation requests
- Coordinated with other camp departments such as housekeeping and maintenance to ascertain all rooms are clean and well maintained
- Ensured data stored in the system with respect to resident information, resident requests, room availability, check in/ checkout information, as well as housekeeping/maintenance work orders are up to date
welcome back to Ft. Mac BBQ
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2016
we worked 10 days welcoming back the persons that had been evacuated during the fires, we fed over 50,000 residents and works over in 8 day period. it was a blast, great people. most fun I've had cooking in a long time
Poor senior management
BA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2015
I worked for two ATCO companies. My first was ATCO Itek. My immediate manager was fantastic and my co-workers were great. I had a wonderful experience with this particular ATCO company, which unfortunately no longer exists.

After hoping to change my career path and moving to ATCO Pipelines in a different role I experienced a completely different environment.

ATCO Pipelines management team simply do not empower the staff. There is a level of complacency that I've never experienced in a company before. The lack of leadership and guidance ultimately led to a miserable experience. That, along with a President who treats his staff like children and seems to be on a continual power trip, led to my eventual departure.

To sum it up, each ATCO company is different, so do your research before accepting an offer.
Pros
Great benefits and solid pay
Cons
Poor senior management
It was an okay company
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB8 April 2015
10 hours a day. I have learned a lot .Management was okay little unfair at times.My coworkers were great.The most enjoyable part of my job were the client.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
fun to play games with residents
extendicare nursing home (Current Employee) –  fort macleod1 April 2015
a typical day at work is makeing sure people are safe warm and feed and dry,i have learned to slow down in my work.the people i work with are good people i can ask questions.the hardest part of my job is not to get,too attached to the residents,the most enjoyable part of my job is the residents,and their stories.
Cons
haveing to get up early for work
Atco
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Atikameg, AB25 September 2013
It was a good working experience with that company I would work for them again my co-workers also enjoyed working there learning how to build the towers for the power lines was a good learning experience.
Pros
no free lunches
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ATCO Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.