ATCO Ltd.

ATCO Ltd. Employee Reviews

Great

Environmental cleanup learned alot about the damage and care for wildlife. How to find oilpucks. How to clean and keep the cleanup area contamination free.

Pros

Learning about the oil industry and environment

Cons

Sometimes hot and strenuous but very worthwhile

Poor Executive Leadership

Early in my career at ATCO advancement was based on merit and the Managers and VP's that I worked for were good leaders that obviously cared about their staff. As I became more senior and became exposed to the CEO, it became crystal clear that she was a very poor leader and that she simply did not understand most of the business. This would have been tolerable if she had been more honest and ethical and didn't punish employees for simply disagreeing with her. She surrounded herself with "yes-men" and fired those who showed actual business and leadership skill. ATCO used to have a strong external Board of Directors but lately, the roles have been increasingly filled with weak insiders who are beholding to the CEO. Ultimately, the company was very disappointing and I left it due to the poor morale, atrocious work life balance and clear lack of ethical leadership at the top.

Pros

I worked with some great people, Advancement opportunities below VP level

Cons

Poor C-Suite skill/leadership, atrocious work life balance, poor morale, out of market (low) compensation

productive and fun workplace with a gym at certain locations/

I would highly recommend working at ATCO. Management was very professional and would make sure you were fit for the job before you start working. Proper training and monthly meetings to make sure everyone was on the same page.

Supportive and Respectful Work Environment

I have been with ATCO for 16 years and have had the opportunity to develop teams, departments, processes and myself over this time. Like any organization, you need to take initiative, and if you do, you are definitely rewarded. ATCO supports their teams through professional development opportunities and involvement with community initiatives. One aspect that I particularly respect is ATCO's commitment to supporting mental health / wellbeing of their employees.

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Development Opportunities

Cons

Employees success is limited to THEIR OWN initiative, you are not a self starter, you may not develop as quickly as you would where seniority trumps effort

Mostly Good

Was treated well at ATCO and enjoyed my role there. Things became uneasy during tough times and eventually I was laid off. Apart from that I enjoyed my 2.5 years with the company.

Very understanding Supervisors and job description are very clear. Safety is top notch and I would recommend ATCO anytime anyday. If you ever want to get trained in any of the trade it's a great place to learn from the best in Calgary. Production workers and first year apprentice gets really good pay compared to other places.

Very poor management

First off to work at atco you don’t have to set the bar very high . Management are not very supportive in providing the proper training or tools for you to carry out your day to day tasks are do not support field staff at all. You are just a number and a fall guy for the management when they fail as they always do, I would not recommend any one I know to apply with this company at all.

It was a great place to work. I had lots of fun working for Atco

I had lots of overtime hours and made lots of money .. I had a good salary and a good supervisor which made the job a fun work site yet we accomplished a lot.

Limited Advancement Opportunities

People are generally great to work with but the opportunities to advance are limited. Seems like the best opportunities go to those that are close friends or family of senior management / executives. Hiring is the same

Liked how the management led

Wish I could have been hired back - liked the work and my supervisor. Training could have been a bit better but overall good environment. The systems were easy to use.

Pros

Oracle and Inspyrus

Cons

A few bullies in the midst

I really enjoyed my time at Atco and would work there again. The company is well run and well organized in my opinion. If the right opportunity came up I would go back.

Good Work Place. Not much work life balance

The pay and benefits are decent. There is no job security. Old-school management practices ( 1980's ) Typical 8 am to 4 pm work in a cubicle. Overall I had a good experience with my manager.

The Bonnyville office had best work schedule ever. Had issues with construction supervisor but the rest of the company was the best management system I have ever been part of.

Excellent company

Well planned training program. Opportunities in abundance. Well experienced seniors, willing to transfer skills. All supervisors and managers are well conversant . Ve

Difficult environment

Old-school management practices that haven't changed since the 80's. Plenty of nepotism and favouritism. Lots of micromanagement. Very toxic work environment.

Pros

Good health/dental benefits

Cons

Poor change management, nepotism

Office Work

Typical 8am to 4pm work in a cubicle. The people that I worked with are exceptionally helpful in teaching what the company wants. Overall I had a good experience with my employer and job life for the time I was there.

Pros

Good Staff

Cons

Cubicle Work

Transitioning Company

ATCO has great people and if you are willing to learn the opportunities for personal development is limitless. However, there is no laid out policy/path for career advancement - be prepared for friends and family of the Family to get role you are deserving of.

Company is going downhill fast

The pay and benefits are decent. The work atmosphere can be quite toxic. Morale is low. Management is dishonest. There is no job security. Many employees hate working for the company and only stay for the pay. Most of them would leave ATCO in a heartbeat if they could earn the same money somewhere else. If you don't mind working for a shady company that doesn't care about its employees, this could be the place for you.

Good Place To Stay Away From

The CEO of ATCO is not to be trusted in my view. She has a hard time telling the truth because she spends a lot of time telling so many lies. One after the other. As a result of her lack of character, she controls the people below her to have the same unscrupulous - do anything to cover up and make a dollar approach. Her workplace is conducive to harassment and bullying. You're just another number here and you might as well get to know your place.

Pros

Some Extrordinary Supervisors and Managers, Some great staff members, Some good safety policies

Cons

Harrasement, Black listing of some employee's, Nepotism, Workplace Bullying, Favortism

stressful

Stressful to work for foreman, micro managed a lot got pulled of job tasks never got to finish tasks.foreman's always try to through you under the bus ,jepordize job position.

Nice place to work at but advancement limited

Working as lead hand supervising about 6 to 8 women in the skinning dept. later and electricians . Making and installing wiring harnesses. In the skinning department. The skin to the trailer or unit where installed

Pros

Great place to learn new things

Cons

Stifled avacementment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ATCO Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement