ATCO Gas Employee Reviews

Great pay and benifits
ditch digger (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2019
Great people doing good work there. Lots of fun and variety if you want to try different things but horrible managers from an employees perspective. It's amazing how a single manager can ruin your career if they want to.
Pros
Great pay, benifits, coworkers
Cons
2 AM emergency calls, us(employees) vs them(managent) mentality
Large Organization - Layers of Management
Project Manager, Facilities Shared Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2019
Work life balance can be an issue.
Large Organization where change is very slow
Large Organization that is Silo within each group
Large Organization that has not yet looked at employees expectations seriously in a number of years
Authoritarian
Productive, lots of ways to grow, lots of different job opportunities.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2019
The work culture here was overall a fun and welcoming environment. There were lots of opportunities for employees to get together and help out and volunteer with the community. Lots of the members of management will be open to new growing and learning experiences within the company and they are supportive.
Cons
uncertainty with lots of changes within the company
Great Co.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2019
Best place i have worked,
The money is good
No Politics
Just a normal place to work ; the way it is supposed to be
My department had water dispenser
Morning briefs
always doing something different and new
Jr Distribution Operations (Field) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 November 2018
in the run of a day you could be installing new gas lines or off to a emergency to fix a broken gas line. On call kinda sucks but its only for a week every couple of months. lots of fun
Summary
Operational Trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
I enjoyed the first 10 years of my career with this company but towards the end there were many changes in management that caused uncertainty across the group.
Good Workplace
Contract Pipeline Inspector (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2018
Needed more work. Enjoyed my time with company. Positive work environment. Communication could be improved on. Would defintiely work with them again. Thanks
Engineer
Engineer - Distribution Design Engineering (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 August 2018
Great Benefits and work life balance.
Challenging work and great place to develop

Lack of vision from management along with making changes in a reactionary manner I would say are ATCO's weaknesses.
It is what you make of it
Distribution Operator - Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2018
ATCO is a very secure place to work, when they're not going through their re-vamping.. management was just dramatically changed and it seems to be making a positive impact on the politics and stress.
The pay and benefits are phenomenal. The option to buy into shares is excellent too. The culture is getting better as the people with the old mentalities retire. It's definitely an equal opportunity workforce and respect for everyone is high: just do your part and don't be lazy or take advantage of the trust given you, just like any other company would expect. The hardest parts of my job are having to shut people's gas off for collections and trying not to empathize with their sad or angry faces, as well as going into multiple people's dirty basements.. this is just part of the job. Working outside in all weather conditions is hard too but also part of the job.
The most enjoyable part is competently fixing someone's furnace and being able to walk away without charging the customer and seeing their SUPER grateful faces. So grateful they sometimes feed you. I'm going to miss the multicultural differences in my customer base.. definitely eye opening. The support given when needed is beyond anything I expected. ANYTIME of the day or night, if I was stuck and couldn't figure out a furnace, I could call ANYONE on my team and they were happy to help. I know that's rare and I always fully appreciated it.
Pros
my particular team felt like a family.
Cons
physically exhausting sometimes. politics.
Good wage, excellent benefits
Customer Service - District Operations (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 June 2018
The company pays well and there are excellent benefits and a pension. The work hours are from 7:30 am - 4:00 pm for a regular work day. There is also on call work and there may be shift hours.
Atco
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2018
Night shift 5:30pm-5:30am
Had to do patrols out side
Learning new skills, computer nightly procedure, taking course to protect you better in all situations
Pros
enjoyed
High on Customer Satisfaction
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2018
Extensive training before being put on the call center floor. High expectations on customer service and trouble shooting for the customer utility accounts. Customer compliment for a call center representative who provided above expectations, were rewarded very well, making the staff feel very appreciated.
great opportunities for volunteer work within the company
Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2018
I really enjoyed being involved in Corporate Challenge especially when I helped win the Blood donor challenge.
I worked independently most of the day and when I needed to talk to the engineers to clarify things they were happy to help out.
Supportive
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2018
I was only with this company for a short time I was in a seasonal position. I loved everyone I worked with and my managers were very supportive and encouraging.
Great People!
PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR/ PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2018
Hired as a term employee but thoroughly enjoyed working with Program Team until program was canceled and my contract was cut short. Ended up inheriting duties of receptionist as my desk was located at the main door to the floor. Would have liked to have used more of my project skills and knowledge.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No Program - no need for Program Administrator
Excellent Company, people and salary
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2018
ATCO Gas was a wonderful company to work for. I enjoyed my position and was given an opportunity to advance by skills, always encouraging professional growth. I worked with wonderful people and in the years I was there had interactions with people in various departments both office and field personnel and was always a pleasure.
great people to work with
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2017
We at Atco gas strive for safety and customer service. People here are great to work with and a fun environment. typical day at work is giving out orders to staff with a friendly smile.
Line Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2017
Atco Gas is friendly, reliable and a great company to work for. all the staff and easy to get along with, safety is their number 1 priority and customer service is ensured.
Good place to start professional career but toxic environment
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2017
Good place to start professional career but stay too long and you notice toxic environment. Everything has some politics involved so don't expect to advance anywhere unless you are sucking up to senior management.
Pros
Decent benefits and work hours.
Cons
Lots of entitlement in management. Politics play a role in your promotion.
Friendly atmosphere
Leak Survey (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2017
Great environment to work in, friendly and helpful co-workers, excellent management, helpful and in programs for employees, management is easily approachable with employees concerns/ideas.