ATB Financial
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

ATB Financial Employee Reviews

Canada305 reviews

Productive and engaging.

The Workplace culture is there and you see it everyday. The people are nice to work with. Management can improve in a lot of ways to interact with employees

Worst place ever worked- Stay away from the ORM team very toxic environment and favoritism is at its peak.

If you like your personal life, want a leader who has empathy, and where favoritism is not given value over hard work then this company is not for you. The leaders seem to have issues with every thing including the vacation, work style and never appreciate your hard work. They have no empathy when it comes to health issues, family tragedy or anything else. For them employees are transactional in nature. This is the most toxic place I have worked and will never be coming back.

Pros

None except DCPP pension plan

Cons

Toxic environment, treat employees as transaction, favoritism, Lack Empathy, No career growth, No motivation, and the list goes on

Insights into ATB Financial

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Great Co-workers, Depressing Management

As an entry level employee, you'll discover quickly that promotion is the name of the game. As a crown corporation, ATB has very limited ability to give raises. Therefore, they deal in promotions instead. As a result, you have a painfully bloated and cutthroat middle management and a pitiably pilfered and overworked front line. The middle management is always cooking up schemes to better train or direct the front line, but the front line is never given the time or resources to properly implement them. Their solution? Hire more managers! They are also very guilty of virtue signalling their "positive culture" without actually being virtuous. I liked the work, I loved the coworkers, I adored the clients, but the bloated, meddlesome and ineffectual glut of upper echelon staff (whose paychecks were made possible by gutting and overworking the front line) made it the most stressful job I've ever had.

Interesting management, great group of people.

While the people who work around you are intuitive and fun to be around, the work is stressfull and management could be a bit better. They did provide me with everything I needed while going through some personal issues so they do care about you in some ways.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Management could be better.

Big bank mentality but credt union budget

Bad leadership, bad training, upper leaderships got hired based on relationships, not qualifications. Highly micromanage, number pushing, toxic environment.

Really great place to work

This company is top notch. It is inclusive and supportive and really values it’s employees. I’d highly recommend working here. The management is very open.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Modest opportunity

Ok place

Good company Good job security Pay freeze Limited career development opportunitiesFriendly cultureLots of perks Vacation/parking is greatOffice cubes

Messy management, unsupportive.

Would be a much better place to work if they would figure out management, both branches have very poor leadership skills and give handouts to staff they favour. They do not do training regularly or allow you to progress if they do not like you. Management is also a revolving door, constantly being let go and new staff always coming in for all positions.

Pros

Work/life balance and benefits are really the only perk. Frontline staff are unionized, sales team is not.

Cons

Staff moral is unbelievably low, walk on egg shells and never advance, Morning meetings tell everyone how bad they are doing no positive reinforcement at all, Management again needs major work.

A large organization with caring people, being weighed down by both its own and provincial politics. Wants to be "agile" but isn't.

Great people and good work-life balance. Compensation is a little on low end for raw salary, but the company has good benefits and one of the best pension contribution plans I have ever seen, with the option of everything from very conservative investment strategies to aggressive high growth strategies (which performed very well for me).Used to be a better culture for software developers. One that embraced small agile teams and empowering engineers. But they let management consultants overhaul their processes and pull decision-making back up the hierarchy and away from teams doing the implementation. Unsurprisingly, backlog refinement became a far more painful process, Product and Infrastructure began planning changes out of sync with one another, and the organization doubled its use of the word "agile" while it was becoming decidedly un-agile (in terms of the original use of the word, as used in the Agile Manifesto, not the empty corporate buzzword it has become, when used in conjunction with frameworks like SAFe which is agile in name only). However, my summary above gives my feelings about the changes I've seen in the engineering side of the organization, from great to subpar. I personally feel so strongly about it because, when I started, I felt incredibly motivated by their culture and their openness to new project ideas, aided by Freedom Fridays (every other week) for working on self-directed projects. I developed a project which was eventually used by quite a few stakeholders, which was related to my team's main project. But getting the resources I needed to maintain -

Pros

Genuinely believe that many senior managers care about the people below them, Pension plans are nice and should be considered when looking at compensation, Recently added additional positions for top engineers, like staff/principal engineers

Cons

Politics, Bureaucracy, Fluffy corporate jargon and buzzwords abound, Important to make yourself visible and play politics to feel like you have a voice

Good place and good people but toxic sales culture

You will be asked to meet unreasonable sales goals, but if you can get past that the people you work with are great. The management is decent and you get pretty good perks in the form of good health coverage and bonuses and discounts.

Neutral

Depends where you work, some managers try to shake things up to boost their own egos. Pay and benefits decent, a bit bureaucratic at times. Culture was fun, a little over the top perhaps.

Pros

Pay and Benefits

Cons

Job Security, inefficiency, management

Too much red tape and favoritism

The worst place I ever worked at and this was confirmed by 3 other people who I had known from other companies. We all left within 2 years. If you are successful and have a go getter attitude, they will make your life a living misery. The whole company promotes people based on who drinks with who, if you get the jist. Avoid if you are efficient and perform well. They will kill your confidence and self esteem and force you to quit.

Pros

Cons

gossip and backstabbing

Manger's have their favorites to promote and help them out, specially young ones , hated Old Team members and abusive verbally

Management did not like Older Team members and was verbally abusive and had no respect for experienced Team members. A leader needs anger management training to lead a Team, talking louder and irritable to other Team members, workplace culture is acceptable. Diverse culture with Great team members.

Pros

Able to leave early when you needed for appointments

Cons

late hours, and weekend jobs

Management difficulties. Needs a cohesive capital markets strategy.

ATB Financial has deep roots in the local Alberta economy. This is a strong plus. Also, it offers an alternative to the larger banking platforms. However, its capital markets division has struggled. ATB Capital Markets can change the trajectory of the organization by addressing the following:- Set a direction. The strategic direction of the capital markets unit shifted often. Low probability mandates with large macro plays were pursued, while the capital markets unit failed to leverage its core competitive advantages – local presence. This hurt the corporate identity and made it difficult to gain traction or sector depth (knowledge).- Parent company coordination. There was too much distance between the rest of the bank and the capital markets division. More collaboration and coordination is definitely needed.- Capital markets expertise. Management at ATB Capital Markets did not make long-term investments in people and lacked specific experience in some areas. I would describe management’s style as tactically disconnected. This translated into poor morale and low employee confidence.- Focus and employee engagement. Leadership in the capital markets unit did not focus on a long-term course and employee engagement. The lack of focus on a cohesive capital markets strategy caused ATBCM to underperform compared to its peers. (See rankings.) The company's participation in equity/debt financings and advisory mandates were few and far between as a result. Employee turnover quickly followed.

Pros

Strong local presence. Good name.

Cons

Lack of cohesive capital markets strategy. Low employee morale. Too much cost cutting.

Excellent place to work

I worked for 7 month there have to leave to relocate to Ontario ... I would highly recommend ... Best place to work in Alberta. Best part to work in ATB you never feel like tired end of the day means easy people easy to work environment

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Remote work options

Stressful management

Management preferred to micro manage, making it stressful and unpleasant. Little collaboration went as planned, senior workers have no respect for students.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Under constant surveillance

No table tennis but gym. Yes fun place to work at.

Fun place to work at. nice colleagues and nice bosses. One of the best companies I will recommend ATB to my friends and family. Talking to clients helping them with their every day banking

Benefits

Cons

Weekend shifts sucks

Great place to work.

I really enjoyed my time working at ATB. They are very family oriented. Pay was better than any other bank. I loved working with the customers and they all really liked me too.

Pros

Good hours

My experience

Things have changed so much since I’ve started. It was great in the beginning. All the 6 stations were full. Now there is only 2.5 of us. Two full time and one part time. It can be stressful and overwhelming. Especially if someone is on holidays or leave. If you are not all in then get out the ceo said. I like the people I work with. ATB doesn’t give any motivation. There’s no recognition for a job well done.

Benefits

Cons

Stressful, overwhelming, lots of pressure

ATB Financial is a great place to work!

Working for ATB Financial for 2 years was an amazing experience. The culture is fantastic, and so are the people. Benefits, incentives, and wages are fair and exceeded my expectations during my employment.

good place to work

it is harder to move up and highly depends on your leader some people want to help you move forward some are just looking for excuses the job is very flexible even though it is fast paced and very stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ATB Financial. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement