ATB Financial Employee Reviews

Great place but is changing for the worst the past 2 years...
Coordinator - Innovation Department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 October 2018
It used to be a very positive and uplifting place years ago and the past two years they keep packaging out the people that have heart and drive which is what they say they want but lay them off first. Benefits are incredible but they are changing all the management with people who do not have work life balance which makes it hard when you need that.
An excellent organization --culturally very forward looking and focused on change.
Lead project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2018
As a contractor I found ATB to be a very fast paced and forward-looking organization. They move quickly and in a very direct way. A typical day is busy , but there culture does allow for fun also.

Management appears to be well ahead of the curve on IT, and copes well with resource constraints. It is also very good at thinking out of the box.

The hardest part of working at ATB is keeping pace with the every increasing demand during a large project as decisions often pile up.

The best part of working at ATB is the positive culture and attitude.
Pros
out of the box thinking.
Cons
workload can be heavy at times.
Change
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Provost, AB4 September 2018
Life is changing and there is little advancement in where i would like to be but love ATB and its values if there was a chance for advancement and the training where i am at perhaps it would be easier . My other half does not live close by and its time for change i would love to stay with ATB where i plan on going but i do not see opportunities yet where i am going . I am only looking at my options at this point unfortunately .
Benefits
Cons
Minimal advancement
Interesting, educational, active, professional, positive environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTITIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2018
- The job was simple because it was a school trip for a week that gave us a chance to see what it was for those who worked in a professional environment is like.
- We learned how money was taken in and out of the volt, how the customer service representatives helped and gave the customers a positive and helpful moment in the bank, and gave us an educational idea on if this is the type of career we would like for our future which is very considerate of them.
- Management was very eye opening because we found out how hard working they are and what they had to do in order for the work place to move swiftly.
- The work environment was very multicultural, and gave me an idea on how well other ethnicities can work together as a team. It is truly inspiring.
- The hardest part of the job was trying to memorize every part of the till and the computer work that allows them to gain access to a customers account or records.
- The enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning advance and complicated tasks that are challenging to anyone.
Pros
free access to an interesting career, people skills, gaining customer service skills
Cons
hard work, memorization, computer skills, mathamatical expertise
Was a great place to work.
Technical Assistant, Evaluations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta28 September 2018
I very much enjoyed working for ATB Financial and it was a very supportive atmosphere at one time.

It was a place that was positive and everyone got along.

I feel that recent changes in management, operating systems and new culture etc were not conducive to my continuing employment there.
Work
Personal Banking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2018
Stressful, so much emphasis on self management, yet training is not thorough enough to set you up for success from the beginning. The culture seems to be waning so not sure what the culture is now. hardest part of the job is sometimes it can be thankless and everyone develops think skin to empathy.
Amazing workplace! Highly recommend
AML Investigator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2018
ATB was one of the best employers I have worked with!
Very good opportunities for internal growth/advancement
Amazing work life balance, upper management was very supportive
Internal Assurance Partner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2018
ATB Financial is a fantastic place to work. The company offers tonnes of benefits/perks, and supports work-life balance. I would definitely recommend people to apply for jobs here.
Back stabbing culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2018
It's not uncommon to have someone swoop in to take credit for your work. If you like living in a culture of "you never know when you'll be fired without reason" then this is the place for you!
Senior CSR
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 August 2018
Great to company and Co-workers to work with. Great Benefits but Immediate Management is not that great. Repetitive tasks, within less time frame lots of work and catch up, short staff, lots of pressure to complete tasks and follow up.
Personally, The best Alberta employer
Service Advice Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2018
One of the best companies I have had the privilege and pride in working for!

The company strives to deliver a bold, iconic and world-class experience for each and every customer.
The company values you as an employee and you are always made to feel that you are a part of the wheels of structure and have the immediate support of your peers and management.

Wonderful work and life balance of which is of the utmost important to your well-being as an associate and team member coupled with a wonderful work diversity.

Great work benefits and perks coupled with insightful and helpful peers or associates makes your time at the workplace more interesting and progressive.

Your success is determined by your performance and there are plenty of opportunities to move around and all training and support is provided to lead on your road to success.

The best part about dealing with the customers is that you are empowered by your peers and team leaders to be as influential and as 'yourself' as possible. You will not be addressed to be a different person because who you are is why they would hire you in the first place. Your character/persona and charisma will be exploited which will make your job much easier.

The ethos, I believe can be surmised as, regarding customer service, is 'not by the book, but by the heart'.

Create lasting relationships and serve the customer's best interests and provide a suitable and tailored resolution so that each customer feels an “personal” experience.

I was laid- off with no regrets and still would highly recommend a career with ATB
  more... Financial.

I confidently foresee many successes with ATB Financial and am positive that they will exceed all your expectations of an employer.
Pros
Best employee assistance, support and training
Cons
Personal matter
Incredible value culture
Personal Banking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2018
My years spent with ATB Financial were life long experiences that can never be forgotten.
My roles within the company helped to mold me into the individual i am today. The values and the culture make ATB an amazing company.
Most recently, my position as a Personal Banking Specialist enabled me to assist my clients in both their present and future goal planning financially and build incredible relationships that will last a lifetime. I took pride in my job as a financial advisor.
Alongside my role, I was presented with the opportunity to both create and facilitate financial literacy seminars for individuals living in transition who were working on bettering themselves and that of of their children. Definitely the passion of my many experiences with ATB Financial
Pros
People and Culture
Cons
Changes in the workplace environment
poor
Workflow Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2018
No support from managers, little support or no resources to do your work. Work life balance was good and benefits where great other than that poor experience
Wasted 10 years working for this company
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Where did I start? If you want a job that has work-life balance this is not the place, work overload poor management, expected to work 12 hour shift, benefits are a joke, still dealing with system issues after 7 years, I use to love working for ATB but the workplace culture is in the ground with managers that are not capable of doing their duties and not caring enough for customers . TRUST ME this review comes from someone who was there for 10 years. ATB Doesn't Listen.
Team Bonding
Personal Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 November 2018
ATB takes the time to involve each and every team member on a day to day basis. This includes daily huddles and share time. This allows everyone to talk about the news of the day or maybe something closer to home; ie the birth of a new nephew. I feel this open experience allows our team to really bond, more like a family than co workers
Benefits
Cons
Micro-managing
ccc representative
Risk Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2018
Systems are poor, mission statement changes every two years. high turn over rate. Campus building located in NE Calgary. Have to pay for parking in NE Calgary. Has a gym which they charge the employees. The area is not safe at night. Only meal options in the area is the cafateria which is poor at best. After 2 pm no meal options for evening employees. Multiple waves of lay offs. Zero job security.
Pros
Possibility to work from home
Cons
No Job security
Atb
Small Business Banker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2018
Some positions can be flexible and some managers can be great, some are not--- I had a manager that was not. Lots of employees are let go without cause. It was a great company however there has been a recent shift and it is no longer about the employees.
Pros
Some postions you can work from home but it depends on your manager
Cons
Long Hours
Energetic and proactive office environment
Senior Vendor Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary Campus22 January 2018
I started with ATB just over a year ago, after a 20 year absence from the banking industry - one I vowed never to return to. But ATB is not like working for a bank. It is collaborative, enthusiastic, open and encouraging. Don't get me wrong, there are still procedures and the likes, necessary in the financial industry, but there is definitely a different culture here, than at the Big 5 from down east.
You are encouraged to think outside the box (5% of your day), and not to be afraid to share those ideas. Constant learning is also encouraged, with 10% of our day to be dedicated to that. If able, you can arrange to work from home, which makes it easy to work around appointments and the like. One of the ATBs ("rules to work by") is to Have Fun Everyday. Don't see that a lot in other industries, let alone banking!
Pros
Open, collaborative culture, free banking, ability to work from home
Cons
Salary can seem a little on the low side
Good work/life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2018
Great benefits. Encourage working from home and personal health. Company culture is better than big banks, however ATB has too many restructures and its confusing.
Pros
Workplace 2.0
Cons
Too many management levels
Banking
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Falher, AB22 October 2018
It was a great place to work. Pleasant customer interaction. Lots of support from management and other staff members. Plenty of information to get the job done right the first time. Great hours.
Pros
Great benefit package.
Cons
Had to move.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ATB Financial. Our community is ready to answer.