Assiniboine Park Conservancy

Assiniboine Park Conservancy Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews
ok
just alright,not the best job not the worst job. just depends who you work with on most days. Sometimes visitors become entitle and that can be kind of annoying.
worst place to work
The management is so SOOO poor. Favouritism is obvious, if they don't like you as much as the others they make it hard for you to do well because they'll pick apart everything you do. I was forced to work outside so many times when it was pouring rain for over 2 hours because the manager continued to say "just wait it will stop". You do one thing the manager doesn't like and your weekly hours are cut in half. The stress is not worth it for such little pay. There were at least a dozen times when I'd be getting into work 10-20mins before my shift started just to be told to go home because my shift was cut. I did like the people I worked with most of the time, but the team leaders are extremely controlling. One time I was at the ice cream shop and it was raining meaning there was no business for hours on end, so I proceeded to clean counters, ice cream machine, refill cups, straws, fold napkins until there was literally nothing left to do so I watched a video on YouTube and the team leader yelled at me and forced me to unfold and refold the napkins I had already folded 20 times. To conclude spare yourself the stress and DO NOT WORK HERE.
Great place to work at however they have poor management
It was nice working at the Zoo as they have a great atmosphere, the workload is manageable and it is easy to carry out the daily tasks. However, Assiniboine Park's management put them at the bottom. It is tough for new hires to adjust in the workplace as they all act based on seniority and the management is not doing anything about it.
Not Good For a First Job
Minimal training and expected me to know what I was doing. Booking days off was a struggle even when I gave a heads up I was going to be out of town for 1 weekend out of the whole summer. I hate being negative but I rather spare someone of the same experiences I had working here.
Horrible Place to Work
Assiniboine Park is horribly mismanaged, disrespects valued, long tenured employees, has shady managers, and refuses to acknowledge why they continually lose money. Middle and upper management continues to grow and front line staff is cut. In my two years there, 60 front line staff were laid off. For a non profit, it is one of the worst places to work. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Fun people to work with, but poor management
I loved coworkers. easy-going, laid back people. But the people I worked under were not the greatest to say the least. Loved seeing the animals during the shift, but long hours on your feet. Often exposed to weather
Fun summer job
If you’re a student looking for a summer job, it’s a great place to work. Food services or Retail you end up working at multiple locations throughout the zoo and park. Excellent experience for future roles. Friendly coworkers.

The managers are tougher due to past circumstances but still nice people.

The jobs are weather dependent. Meaning if it’s raining you may not get to work your shift.
Pros
50% off food. Free Zoo membership.
Cons
Long hours. Hot weather. Weather dependent
work outside, fun environment
Learn lots about plants and land scaling. Get to work outside which is a plus. Bosses are lenient and understanding. Can get boring at times but overall a good work place
Pros
working outside
Cons
communication between departments is lacking
Great place to work for a summer job
The management isn't great there, but it is a fun easy place to work. It's nice that you only work days so you will have evenings/nights off. All in all it was a great summer job, and I would recommend it.
Pros
Only work days
Cons
Bad management and you can be sent home early
Amazing first job!!
I worked at the zoo for one summer and I think it will always be one of the best jobs I've ever had. The staff are all amazing, I made so many new friends and even met my boyfriend there! They train you very well, they don't over load you with work and you get lots of free treats! They are flexible with hours as long as you give them notice and the pay is decent. Overall I have such fond memories of my summer working there and it will always hold a special place in my heart.
Pros
The work environment, being surrounded by nature.
Cons
You get sent home early in bad weather.
poorly managed
no real work place culture management is disorganized, people are good to work with public is fun to be around interesting work and seeing the improvements being done
Pros
working along with public
Cons
disorganized management
Fun environment, great people, productive team
Working here there was not only great people, but great concepts of food and it is overall one of the best places I've worked. The most enjoyable part was just getting to make food. I learned not only work experience, but life experience too. People were there to help when you needed and i never felt alone. It was a lot of work but worth it.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours, but it is worth the long hours.
Positive work environment with a beautiful view
Working here is great! Management is awesome and I never have issues getting time off or conflicts with my boss. The café closes at 4 so I never have to work evenings and the walls are all windows so it's a beautiful environment. Coworkers are easy to get along with and customers are typically nice.
Pros
Only work between the hours of 7:30am-4pm
Cons
Can be long periods between or without breaks
Soul-sucking organization
Toxic work environments, poorly trained and uncaring management, favouritism, executives seem to use corporate “team-building” to gloss over issues within the corporation’s internal structure and operational neglect. For a relatively small organization, communication, accountability and proactivity are severely lacking. Daily work life is mentally and physically draining. Benefits are okay if you’re lucky enough to qualify. Would love to have our CEO go undercover in the food services department and see how unprofessional and abusive mgmt and workers are towards each other. SOS
Pros
Free food, daytime hours
Cons
Lomg hours, lack of communication, corporate culture, work environment
Was not a terrible job but not ideal either
Shifts were long, about 12 hours and late, hard to keep up with school/sleep. Management was petty. Nice enough coworkers. Lots of overtime. Uncomfortable uniforms.
Pros
Free dinner, overtime pay
Cons
long shifts, petty managers, customers didn't treat us very well
Seemed too good to be true
Working here at APC was an ok experience for my short stint. The orientation made it seem like it was more extravagant than what it actually is. The manager of my department was extremely pushy as micromanaging everything, always calling to make sure you “do this and do that” not really giving you an opportunity to fulfill your job tasks on your own without being told. It got really frustrating to the point of finding other employment.
Pros
City Union
Cons
Boring night shifts, super unrealistic expectations for patrols
Great location, experienced staff
Working at The Park Cafe was a great first job for when I was 16, though it was only a summer job for me I found myself working long hours, 5 days per week which wasn't ideal for me. Overall my coworkers were people that I could learn a lot from because of their great experience. I did not get a chance to serve while I was working at The Park Cafe because I was underaged but I did have many responsibilities such as opening and closing the door of the restaurant, preparing table for guests, seating guests and delivering food to tables. My experience working at The Park cafe was good for a first job and definitely helped me learn about the work place and customer service .
Pros
Half hour paid breaks, friendly staff
Cons
Fun place with nice management
it was good work environment with good supervises. got to see animals and walk around the park while watching kids and gain work experience over the summer.
Great not-for-profit
Still a young organization in transition and growth but very exciting environment with a great cause. Wage is ok but benefits are great!

Beautiful setting with most people just trying to do their best to make the vision for the Park & Zoo come true.
Pros
Amazing working setting
Cons
Departments located all over the Park among communication sometimes difficult
Typical Fast Food Gig
I worked in the Food Service District at the zoo. The hours are good, the customers are average, but everyone's sorta distant. I'm not saying every fast food job needs to have friendly people, but it was clear that if you were there, you were there to work and nothing else.
Pros
Sweet discount on the food
Cons
long time on your feet, smiling all the time like you actually like working at this place
Assiniboine park zoo
I was a great summer job had fantastic staff but a little to far from my house especially because I had to take three buses to work and 2 home as I did not have my licence at the time.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
To far from my house