Aspen Family and Community Network Society Employee Reviews

Truly an Aspen 'Family'
Aspen Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2019
Aspen has an amazing work culture. Staff are encouraged and supported to bring forward their unique talents, passions and strengths to enhance the work they do, and to think outside the box to better support each other, and the individuals we serve. Communication, collaboration, feedback, and reflective practice are pillars of their work.
Pros
Empathy and support is major - staff wellness is valued and supported.
Cons
Nature of the work can be draining
Amazing Employee Support and supportive teams
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 February 2019
I have really appreciated Aspen's commitment to supporting their staff members and going above and beyond to accommodate requests. I've felt very supported and provided feedback that has helped my professional development. They are truly a learning based organization - far more so than other non-profits that I have worked for in the past. I found the hardest part of the role being limitations of the work that you can do within the various systems we work within, which I have found in other non-profits as well.
Pros
Supportive Leadership, Supportive team members, lots of opportunities for training
Cons
Challenges in working with larger systems
Excellent employee support
front-line worker (Former Employee) –  Family Portfolio27 February 2019
Aspen offers an EAP package and an additional list of vendors all staff members can use at no personal cost. Very supportive environment with lots of opportunity to become involved in a variety of specialized committees and extra-curricular activities that support agency culture and cross-department collaboration.
Pros
Agency Culture
Cons
At times a tough client demographic
Productive and supportive place to work in
Family Strategist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2019
I Love my job at Aspen. Every one is so kind and considerate and very suopportive. Hardest part of job is when client who you are supposed to be helping don't get back to you.
lacking supports, extremely high turn over, poor management
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 October 2018
Lacked genuine supports as HR's main focus was serving upper management. Very high turn over rate and frequently people were quietly fired and walked out the same day. Participation was mandatory in social events and fundraising drives. Very difficult place to work if you are an introvert.
Pros
professional development opportunities
Cons
Cult like atmosphere
Official response from Aspen Family and Community Network Society
10 December 2018

It is regrettable that you had such a poor experience at Aspen. We run our turnover figures on a quarterly basis and would not qualify our turnover rate as high. We are also not sure how you would define the word "frequently", but we differ with your position that we frequently fire employees.

Attendance at our social events is certainly not mandatory, and neither is it so at our fundraising events. As a matter of fact we make a point to explain to employees during our most important annual fund raising event that they do not have to contribute anything. As far as we know, most employees understand this position.

Aspen is proud to be home to a diverse group of employees, as we believe that the best teams are made up of varied talents, skills and experiences, leading to more innovation and creativity, and of course the organic improvement of all employees' performance. Indeed, diversity is one of our values. In the same vein, we certainly welcome all personality types, including introverted ones.

Finally, while we totally respect the fact that you are entitled to your own opinion, we would differ with your description of our environment as "cult-like". Our culture of openness does not enable a breeding ground for the latter.

Thank you.

Aspen

Supportive and Passionate Teams
Front-line staff. (Current Employee) –  Calgary and area11 October 2018
Working in the human services field for over 10 years I was pleasantly surprised when I started at Aspen to see how they genuinely care about and listen to their staff. There is a very open culture and my various supervisors have always listened to any feedback I've given and responded in a professional way. The work is still very challenging and fast paced however I have always had the support of my supervisor, team and management in giving me what I need to work well and grow in my role. The teams are also very knowledgeable and passionate about the work they do which is inspiring and gives me motivation on the tough days.
Pros
Team building and professional development is valued.
Cons
Lots of driving required for certain roles
Poor management skills and lack of support
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2018
Worked as a front line staff on a team with very high turn over rate. There was little to no on the job training with various employees pitching in to do sub par training. Management did not do any sort of training and seemed unfamiliar with the program and the job roles. Upper management and HR provide little support and seem to stick together. Tons of office politics that unfortunately gets in the way of doing the job. I would not refer any friends to the agency for employment.
Official response from Aspen Family and Community Network Society
11 July 2018

We are sorry that you had such a poor experience at Aspen. We do have program orientation for new front-line staff and maintain an open-door policy to ensure they can ask questions when they need to. Our agency is one of the few where everyone has access to the CEO at any time.

Regarding your comment about high turnover rate, we carry out exit interviews and are comfortable with the analysis of our turnover rate. One of the responses we get from exiting staff is that they enjoyed a lot of on-the-job and professional training while working with Aspen, contrary to your comment about management not giving any sort of training. I would note that our exit interviews are reported in complete confidentiality, giving the exiting employees the liberty to give honest reviews.

As well, contrary to your statement about upper management and HR providing little support, we actually spend a lot of time listening to employee complaints and ensuring we find sustainable solutions to them. A good example is the recent additions to our employee wellness initiatives – they were a direct response to the requests we had received from employees.

We wish you the best in your future endeavours.

A great, respectful place to work.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2016
Providing overall administrative support to the CEO and also providing assistance to senior management team on a daily basis and, in addition, to the Board of Directors as required in preparation and attendance for board meetings.
A typical day would include coordinating various Outlook calendars to schedule/update meetings on behalf of the CEO. Internal and external communications and preparation of various documentation and reports using the Microsoft suite of software products. Preparation and distribution via Dropbox the board package for board meetings and attendance at those meetings to take minutes.
My co-workers were respectful and I was happy to go to work and enjoyed the interaction with all levels of staff.
The job was not hard as I have good skills for the demands of that position. The hardest part could be landing on a time slot for some of the meetings I would be scheduling, which was mainly due to the busy schedules of the various attendees and could be a challenging task but not impossible.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I was able to support the CEO effectively.
Pros
fun, can-do culture
flexible community and team environment
FRONTLINE / OFFICE ADMINISTRATION (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta11 August 2014
provided information to community member about upcoming program. Also provide assistance to vulnerable member of the community. Managed the daily operation of the community space.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspen Family and Community Network Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Aspen Family and Community Network Society Reviews by Location