ASL Paving Ltd Employee Reviews

working for asl
Road construction (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 April 2019
great place to work. great people. learned a lot about road construction. enjoyed working outside. learned to operate all kinds of eqipment. always busy
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no work when it rains
sufficient work
Articulated rock truck operator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 February 2019
12 hour days of quick sufficient work. Respectable and knowledgeable team leaders. Room for advancement. An equal opportunity employer. Very safe work culture. loved working for the company!
Pros
good hours
Cons
Great company to work for overall
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 April 2018
one of the best companies to work for when it comes to the road construction industry.

you will work 6 days and then 5 days alternating, always having a Saturday off, and long weekends are guaranteed unless otherwise informed.

Competitive wages, and great benefits. Asl Paving Ltd. works in partnership with a union company.

Theres a career available for anyone at asl, and great opportunity for career advancement.

never had an issue with management, and the environment for the most part is positive and encouraging.
Preferred employees stay or get hand picked
Sweat and grunt specialist (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster21 February 2018
Lloydminster branch has tons of “family members “ working there. Brothers, girlfriends, wives, sons, etc. You can work as hard as you want, be a faithful and knowledgeable employee but will never be recognized as long as they have their family working there. Very dishonest management. Gave me a decent paycheque so I guess that’s a positive.
Pros
Decent paycheque
Cons
Extremely poor management, hand picked employees
Productive and fun place to work
Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 November 2017
Great place to work, amazing benefits and strong wages. Strong management, and great people to work for, extremely productive, but still fun. No shortage of hours, lots of room to grow within the company
God place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 July 2017
Asl is a good working place
Lots of support and hours of work are managable family is important to them
Advancement is available decent benefits and wages
Good Summer Work
Heavy Equipment Operator, Concrete Finisher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 May 2016
They typically have a lot of overtime throughout the summer, but it is weather dependent. Most crews are pretty easy to work with if you pull your weight. Most supervisors are good, leave you to your work, and get back to you if you have issues.
Great summer job, pleasant working environment.
Labourer & Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK11 March 2016
Long hours and a competitive wage to start. Ability to move up in the company is somewhat limited, but overall a great experience.
A good place to work most of the time
Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK3 March 2016
Safety meetings every day. Pre trip and post trips. report any problems Deliver material to job site. us a loader to load my truck when needed.
Pros
Free lunch every month
Great workers but alot of positions were given to workers who were the supervisors favorites
Labourer/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, Sk9 November 2014
Started at 6:30am and usually work 12 to 14 hours shifts. Learn how to operate some equipment such as skid steer, water truck, rollers. Did a lot of shovelling, labour tasks and driving crew trucks. My foreman was a great guy who would take the time to teach everyone but also put his foot down when we had to work to get the job done. Hardest part was seeing other workers get higher pay and better position just cause the head supervisors like them. Wasn't base on skills or work ethic, just if they like you. I really enjoy work outside and with my hands. Also like the laughing and joking around part of my crew.
Pros
i got to learn alot of new skills
Cons
just supervisors not caring about the people who have the skills or want to move up in the company
Long day in the sun
Skid steer operator, Operating the Scale head (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 October 2014
A typical work day would start at 6:30 in the morning. You would check the oil levels on the loaders and the skid steer. Upon completions of that you would start all the equipment and let them warm up. Around 7 o'clock was about the time we actually fired up the aggregate plant. We would usually run around 500 tons an hour depending on the weather and other factors. If an piece of equipment were to go down on the aggregate plant everyone was required to stop what they were doing and help out on repairing the plant as this would cost the company money not having the plant running. The repairs were always done in a timely fashion. They were sometimes when we didn't stop for breaks or lunches as we were busy working and you would just eat when you could get the chance. If they usual scale lady was not present at work I would hop into the scale head and organize and operate the scale for the time being. The work day would be done at 6:30 in the evening so working long hours in nothing new to me. I leaned that if working as a team most things can get dealt with in a timely manner and it just brings a sense of pride knowing that you're operating like a team and everyone is doing they're fair share of work. The hardest part of the job was balancing your life and work because you are constantly working long hours and spending time with friends is just as important as working. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you got the job done well and everybody was happy at the end of the day.
Pros
Salary was nice due to long hours.
Cons
Good company to work for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 January 2014
Hauled dirt, built new sub-divisions for the city of Saskatoon. Occasionally hauled hot pave and gravel for street building.
very productive workplace
Labor on the paving crew/ General Labor (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB27 September 2013
during the day my job is to help with basic tasks of paving, such as shoveling gravel, apply tar, apply and remove marking of caution and other materials and equipment for the job. All work is done in teams, is a job that takes many hours of work non-stop until the end completely, that is tired, but it is rewarding to see the finished work. working outdoors is nice. I get a bit of know-how in handling heavy machinery, I was trained in security measures and procedures of paving.
Pros
good salary
Cons
long hours, seasonal work
Great working outdoors.
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 July 2012
I am an outdoor person. Can do the job by yourself or work with other co workers.
Pros
outdoor work.
Cons
can be hard work and smelly.