Ashton College Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Not a good place to work
Curriculum Developer (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 March 2018
Management is very wishy washy at this place. Decisions get made randomly by management and there is no support for other staff. international students are what pay their bills and they are given preferred rights.
Cooperative management and fun environment
Digital Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2018
Great Boss, she gave me a lot of free hand in implementing my strategies and as a result I could make a positive difference.

Good team, generally the staff is cooperative and communicates well. Employees have a sense of camaraderie among them.
Pros
Lots of team lunches and skill development opportunities such as going to Ted-x, company sponsored online courses etc.
Cons
Nothing worth mentioning here
Top pay but no job security
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Inclass9 December 2017
Ashton pays instructors better than any other private college in lower mainland but offers no job security.

The instructors are required to prepare the course outlines and deliver it accordingly. This takes lot if time but no pay.

They'll hold the pay if you don't mark the exams in a 5 days which is unprofessional.

They micromanage every second as well.

The enrollment is always low.
Pros
Awesome pay
Cons
Long hours no job security and high expectations
A Great Place To Work With Lots of Learning Opportunities
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 June 2016
I love working for Ashton College! I started working as an Administrative Assistant for the Human Resources department and less than a year later, I was promoted to the Human Resources Coordinator and I run my own department which is rare for someone with a bit less than 2 years of industry experience. The management give a lot of autonomy and focus on empowering staff and letting you run your department. I have learned so much and Ashton has helped me grow on both a professional and personal level.

If you want to be in an environment where you have opportunities to learn, advance, take charge and grow without having a manager breathe down your neck, this is definitely the environment for you.

It can be challenging to run your own department and it is a lot of work but at the same time, you can go home each night feeling like you made a difference and are growing with the College.
Pros
Fun Coworkers, Professional Growth, Autonomy, Advancement Opportunities, Social Activities
A work environment where you can make an impact.
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 May 2016
I've worked at Ashton College for three years. I started as a junior marketing assistant, and now I manage a small team in charge of digital marketing.

The best thing for me working here is the ability to make creative decisions and lead a team. It is a small institution and the budgets that I have to work with are not large, but to me that makes the job even more interesting because you can't fall back and engage in standard marketing tactics, instead you have to get creative and think outside the box.

I feel like I've developed professionally over the last three years, which perhaps wouldn't have happened as quickly at a larger, more "corporate" organization. A small company is great because you know everyone in the office.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to make an impact and being able to see results of what your doing quickly.
Pros
Being able to make creative decisions and make an impact on marketing strategy
Cons
Smaller budgets
No job security; poor mannered management
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 February 2015
They keep the instructors on a course to course contract, which asks for a few hours work per week for a good payment. Once you start teaching, they expect you to work almost full time for a very low salary. They expect you to sacrifice your full time job and personal life. In new contracts they add to the number of teaching hours and responsibilities without discussing it. Very little support for the instructors and a lot of expectations. Don't expect to be treated well by your manager. The management could go as far as calling you day in and day out
Pros
Technology used for virtual teaching environment
Cons
Poorly mannered managers, no job security, low payment for a lot of work, no benefits
Ashton College Needs to Respect Employees
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 November 2014
A typical day at work is juggling multiple projects with no budget or real power to execute campaigns. The Director talked behind employee’s backs and had unrealistic expectations of staff. Staff that stayed were very unhappy and new hires had no idea what was expected of them because the job description and interview process was quite different once hired. The hardest part of the job was to figure out what the Director really wanted because he changed his mind so often. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home.
Pros
After 3 months there are some health benefits.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Great College
Manager, Enrolment Services; Registrar (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 May 2012
The staff were wonderful. I learned and grew as a professional in many ways, which has helped me in my career.