Ashley Furniture HomeStore Employee Reviews

Found 40 reviews matching the search See all 1,274 reviews
Working at Ashley's homestore
Warehouse assembler (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 December 2019
The staff are horrible they don't keep the place clean, they treat the warehouse Porter like he is a maid which is unacceptable & staff doesn't help out on sales
Competitive commission based position working evenings and weekends
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB3 December 2019
Ashley Furniture at first glance appears to be an organised relaxed atmosphere. But do not be fooled. Employees will talk about you behind your back and prejudge you. Sales personnel are not happy to have any new sales feet on the floor for fear of losing a potential customer. Commission rates are very low at only 5 percent.

Be prepared to work many nights and weekends with a convoluted up system that no one follows. Run don't walk from this job.
Enjoyed My Time There
Commissioned Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON20 November 2019
Really enjoyed my time there and working with my co-workers. Had fun selling furniture and mattresses to my customers as well as keeping up to date with the latest trends and designs.
can be stressful at times, but worth the paycheck
Warehouse Merchandise Handler (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 November 2019
i somewhat enjoyed working at Ashley's. the job itself wasn't something i was very excited about, but it was a good experience. My manager is what made me able to push forward to the next day. she was very supportive and understanding of the workload. however, the store manager kept giving me tasks in a timeline that not even a whole team could handle....and i was working alone! but at the end of the day it wasn't that bad overall.
I would have stayed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 November 2019
I would still be working there if it weren't for a workplace bullying issue that never got settled. I was bullied by one of my former coworkers there, but before an action could be taken, I could no longer work with this coworker, so I had to leave the job
Ashley HomeStore
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 October 2019
I enjoy working at Ashley HomeStore very much. It’s a great atmosphere, great staff, cooperative environment. Good salary, good management, great training.
Did not enjoy
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 October 2019
Management only communicated with us to give us discipline Never not once did they give us any credit for the great work we did. It’s the little things like that that helps the morale in the work place. I would not recommend this place at all!!!
High expectation, no support
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON10 September 2019
Started off ok, other than I had 4 days of training which was not even close to being enough. I was destined to fail from the get go. In the beginning, store I worked at had no store manager in place, the person I took over from left things an absolute mess, plus I had no senior manager in place for guidance. There was no immediate help within. I reached out multiple times for help which was unanswered. The expectations were extremely high, often left with multiple tasks to complete with not enough time to complete them. I was going in early and staying late just to attempt to get ahead. But often times you’re asked to stop what you’re doing to complete a task that seemed ridiculous for the amount of traffic the store got. Furniture is no emergency. Head office people were rude and when I encountered one in my early days, she blamed me for something I didn’t even do! Rather than welcome me to the company and explain the issue, she was accusatory and rude! I was firm in my response which I later found out I was considered “rude”. I refuse to be walked on regardless of who they are! When I finally got a senior manager, she did very little to support me, responding only with “we’ll help get you through it”. She was young and acted like she knew it all. Our personalities did not gel, that’s why I’m sure she treated me the way she did. I did not fit into her mould or the company’s for that matter. I have education, skills and talent and know how to put things together, but was told countless times to change this and change that, was never right. Store staff did support me and let  more... me know things looked great. She gave very little positive feedback, which made being there even worse. I’d get reprimanded for following the plan! The furniture is high priced and quite frankly, was garbage. Oftentimes receiving items damaged which you had to jump through hoops to get rectified. Overall, the experience was very deflating, stressful and not worth the time or the pay!  less
Pros
Discount, and that even was laughable
Cons
All the rest
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC29 August 2019
I really enjoyed my job here, management was wonderful and the environment was more like a little family than anything.
I would recommend this job to anyone looking to expand their retail/customer experience.
To demanding for rate of pay
Furniture delivery (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON28 August 2019
Job requires you to deliver furniture in areas that a delivery truck should not go. The sales people do not care about the delivery workers. Many times we have gotten stuck in snow on roads where there’s hardly anybody around. Wether it’s -30 or not your basically forced to go in fear of not having a job. Was not the job for me.
Don’t bother
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC9 August 2019
After being hired at Ashly’s in Abbotsford I was told and signed a contract stating I would be on training for 3 months well I had completed my on line training in the first 3 weeks which uotheemployees that already work there haven’t finished and after selling a 2000 dollar sofa of course I gave it to the salesman who was training me which is what I was supposed to do I was told today that I wasn’t working out no from what I’ve seen the owners are truly Homophobic that’s why I got let go i’ve been in the workforce for 40 years and I’m usually a good charge
Fun staff, good product and cosy atmosphere.
Salesman/General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS2 August 2019
The Good:
-The immediate management, that being the assistant manager and manager were both terrific.
-The staff is friendly and fun to spend 8 hours a day with.
-Ashley makes a good mid range product which you can easily be proud to sell.
- The pay structure is good, giving you a base salary of X dollars. Anything commissions you produce exceeding X dollars is paid to you. You are guaranteed X dollars so you will not starve during slow periods.

Things to Consider :
A - This is commission driven sales, and commissions arent given until your sale is shipped.
B- The management will have your back most of the time, but particularly troublesome customers will get what they want eventually (even if they're wrong), usually at the cost of your commission. This happens more often than not, but it's not a regular occurrence.
C- If you cost the company more than your commission covers, they will lay you off during the slow season. This is true even if you have a warehouse of stuff waiting to get delivered (see point A)
- additionally; if the products on back order (no fault of yours) it still could affect your employment.
D - In the Atrium (where this ashley is located) there are 2 other stores, all owned by the same people. Ashley only carries Ashley products, but World wide next door carries a diverse range, including Ashley. This makes competing with them difficult.
- additionally; Ashley does not carry appliances or electronics.

Dont consider working here if you are thin skinned. Ive worked a number of sales jobs and I will say customers are a bit
  more... more standoffish on average. Remember, furniture shoppers go to many stores and deal with many salespeople. It's never personal. You're just probably the 8th sales person today.

Summary-
You need to be passionate about the product you're selling and engage with the customers. The customers here are a particular breed, and demographic. I was successful in insurance sales, but not as much here.

If you have a passion for interior decorating, furniture and things like that, you can make good money here.

The customers are generally good people, but I found them more stand offish on average here. Again, this is usually the case with customers who've been shopping furniture all day. You're probably the 8th sales person and they're sick of seeing sales people.

If you're patient, thick skinned and have a passion for home decorating, or at the very least an interest. Ashley might be a good fit for you.

The Staff is terrific, and I cannot praise The management I had enough.
learn a lot about product knowledge, some downtime
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON30 July 2019
This company is great a training, some downtime and the pay isn't great. It's a fully commission job which makes it difficult to keep a positive outlook. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and designing their spaces.
Great for starting in sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON5 July 2019
A great start for any sales person to get their feet wet. Allows one to work with the public and be the start of their home decor adventure. Can be mentally tough at times
Good group of people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 June 2019
Good group of colleagues. Learned about the furniture business, manufacturing processes of furniture items, things that contribute to quality of product, and dealing with a multitude of diverse customers.
Great group of people for the most part
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2019
Management was the toughest to deal with. Always writing up the crew's.
Management just in the Warehouse was horrible more for the guy who sat in the office that overlooks everything and everyone, more considered a boss and not a leader. Supervisors not knowing their own jobs except for one that quit out of the blue which was a shock. Went from organized to chaos. Micro managing badly. No home/work life Balance.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours, not recognized for anything, no home/work life balance, bullied by mid upper management, forced to come in when sick.
Wage of fortune
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 May 2019
it starts good, as they need you for their store and chores. No matter how much you work , it won't be enough. They have targets which can only be achieved by flying donkeys. Even the upper management knows that it's unattainable but still they will push you and compare you with anyone who has done , and trust me not many people achieve it.
the co workers are fantastic people to work with , but they all are chained as they are too afraid to speak.
The micro management is of surreal level, they take notice how much you eat, how much your wealth is back home , how many times you go for smoke etc. There is also a wandering manager who have absolutely no clue what product is and what he is doing, he doesn't even know how to use computer provided by the company, he is always late staff stays out in cold but if table turns he would boast how he used to be punctual. You basically need at least an hour to close the sale even if it's just a chair. Nobody knows how the wage comes , it's like WAGE OF FORTUNE. even managers don't know how to calculate wage or product specs they consult sales reps and then diminish them.
Go for it , if you like unnecessary adventure.
Pros
co workers
Cons
everything else
Worst management I’ve ever seen
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 May 2019
They only care about landing their product, your run does not stop for anything. The product is cheaply made, the warehouse staff load damaged products on the truck for the drivers to constantly disappoint the customers with. Expected to land furniture in dangerous situations like lifting 300lb dressers overhead, and over banisters. Upper management across transportation, store and guest care belittles you to customers. The wage is lacklustre, not adequate for the physical and mental abuse you must endure to work here. No communication between guest care, transportation and store. Went a month without speaking to supervisors once. Guest care lets sales associates purposely mislead to sell product, making drivers have to go above and beyond call of duty. Often put in hostile situations because of sales people. A customer held my partner and I against our will for an hour and we were sent back multiple times after that. Toxic work environment.
Pros
No supervision
Cons
Store abuses their power
laid back, fun place to work
MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON10 May 2019
Lots of cleaning
Heavy lifting
Problem Solving
Inventory

Easy going sales staff and very knowledgeable on the products they sell. Warehouse manager and pretty easy going and able to work with your schedule.
Pros
lots of snacks
Cons
hard for advancement
Terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC8 May 2019
I worked at the Langley store and the manager was terrible. My co-workers were super nice to work with. I had more support from them, then the manager. You have to be on the ball with orders because if you make a mistake the manager will withhold your commission. Going to labor relations will not help either, as the documents signed at the beginning of employment state, management can withhold commissions for any reason. So, from day one you are hooped.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Manager is greedy and only cares about the bottom line.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ashley Furniture HomeStore. Our community is ready to answer.