Ashley Furniture HomeStore Employee Reviews

Worst management I’ve ever seen
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 May 2019
They only care about landing their product, your run does not stop for anything. The product is cheaply made, the warehouse staff load damaged products on the truck for the drivers to constantly disappoint the customers with. Expected to land furniture in dangerous situations like lifting 300lb dressers overhead, and over banisters. Upper management across transportation, store and guest care belittles you to customers. The wage is lacklustre, not adequate for the physical and mental abuse you must endure to work here. No communication between guest care, transportation and store. Went a month without speaking to supervisors once. Guest care lets sales associates purposely mislead to sell product, making drivers have to go above and beyond call of duty. Often put in hostile situations because of sales people. A customer held my partner and I against our will for an hour and we were sent back multiple times after that. Toxic work environment.
Pros
No supervision
Cons
Store abuses their power
Terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC8 May 2019
I worked at the Langley store and the manager was terrible. My co-workers were super nice to work with. I had more support from them, then the manager. You have to be on the ball with orders because if you make a mistake the manager will withhold your commission. Going to labor relations will not help either, as the documents signed at the beginning of employment state, management can withhold commissions for any reason. So, from day one you are hooped.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Manager is greedy and only cares about the bottom line.
productive and fun workplace
floor design (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON30 April 2019
Amazing co-workers who can be approachable, great environment to work, grow and develop as an employee. Management was very understanding with any issues I had. hardest part of the job at time the store would be empty for a few hours not leaving you much option for things to do beside clean but that wasn't much of problem.
Overpriced product, horrible support
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario4 April 2019
Not only are the same products found in nearby stores at much better prices, but most of the time the stock is delayed and the product doesn’t get to your customers on time. If you are a salesperson they bump the stock to a different pay period to avoid you getting paid on it. Managers have no idea about the product they are selling, and customer service doesn’t exist. For how long they have been in the business, by far the worst company to sell for
Pros
Come and go as you please. No leader
Official response from Ashley Furniture HomeStore
15 April 2019

Hello former TDG team member,

Thank you for your review of our company.

At TDG we are a proud licensee of the Ashley HomeStore brand, with 28 locations across Canada. Because of our licensee status we are able to offer our guests the best possible prices on Ashley HomeStore products.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest experience and minimize delays in the delivery of our product. A product may experience delays because of the logistics and variables involved in shipping, as the majority of our products are made in the United States and have to be shipped to our guests in Canada through one of our distribution centres.

We would love to have the opportunity to speak with you further to discuss your experience and learn how we can improve. Please call 1-877-834-6993 at your earliest convenience.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Trash management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2019
Very poor store management.nepotism,harassment very common practice.higher management don't have any control on store level, they rely on store management who people are dishonest & toxic.for any cost they want business but don't follow any work ethic.
unsafe place for the female worker. managers offered promotion to female worker for makes them happy personally.
Pros
Cons
Lowest income
Cut Throat business
Assitant Administration/Multi-Tasker (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC28 December 2018
Not a friendly environment to work in! It started off nice, but changed. I felt like it gets hostile to sell furniture and customers walks in and gets bombarded by sales people and gets apprehensive. The manager is nice, but all about the sales
horrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON29 October 2018
very high turnover rate all the way from upper management to sales associates. within the last year new VP, Director and couple of regionals if you wanna talk about culture.

expect to be forced to work long hours and extra days.
if you refuse they will present you with a admin job or warehouse work at a low pay so even if you fight for wrongful dismissal you can't get EI because it'll be refusal of work.

any customer can walk in any day and get better than employee discount.

as minimum wage went up they are reducing admin and warehouse staff hours and sales people are expected to do more admin and cleaning work!!!!!

free lunches when you are forced to work open to close twice a month are gone.

commission structure changed 3 times in the past couple of years and if you refuse to sign again you get presented with an offer for a different role so you don't get packaged out!!!!

if you don't hit your target for 2 month you are out of the door it's called MAS when you read your contract so be aware.

They expect you do go out and advertise ( NON PAID) on your days off!!!!

If you leave the company within 6 month you don't get paid for all of your sales that are not delivered, and if it's delivered they switch it under someone else's name so you still don't get paid.

Finally out of there :) with better pay and better environment with a better company
Pros
all gone with new upper management
Cons
please read the comments
Trash
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC3 October 2018
Worst company ive ever worked for
Women are crude and snyde. No team atmosphere and exhausting! No breaks while the whip is being cracked and barely makimg 11.50 an hour. Brutal. Thankffully i left.
Pros
Cons
All of it
what a joke
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 August 2018
I worked there for a few month , then decided to quit, the hardest part of the day is the morning meetings,stupid meeting everyday with silly jokes and acts from the management and you have to laugh at it otherwise you will considered not a team player, staff spy on each other, they preach that their company is very family oriented but it is far from it , everything looks clean and shiny from outside but it the other way around, most orders are on at least 4 to 6 weeks out to be delivered, i left the company and all the sales i had made went to the "House" and they did not give me my commission which was a few thousand dollars.I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Cambridge location aweful place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 July 2018
Location is not great=lots of lookers, management chooses favorites and helps those favorites close sales and gives them sales, environment is toxic/drama especially on the sales floor, very little training, there is no room to advance, low pay and good luck ever making what they say you will make. Dont waste your time... like any place there are good days and dont get me wrong there were some...but all in all this is not a good place to work...even the owners of this location arent good...they will walk in once in awhile and ho to the offices they never interact with you even if they walk past you, they are incredibly cheap so don't expect a Christmas party or bonus
Pros
Once your a favorite you will be ok
Cons
Management, pay/commission potential, environment
Good staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Enderby, BC8 January 2018
Good co workers, not great owners of company. Not very accomodating to family life, no weekends off ever. Commision rates not very good either but do have salary on top of it.
Good for someone starting in the workforce
5 ton truck driver (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 December 2017
Good for someone starting in the workforce, low pay and no benefits.
Hardest part is having items with missing parts when arriving to a customer. Overall an ok job but with minimal pay and not benefits which is not good when providing a family.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Skill building environment
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  11 William Kitchen Rd18 September 2017
Working at Ashley Homestore was a pleasure , in which I was able to cultivate my customer service skills and learn how to sell like a true salesman. The managers are great as are the fellow sales associates.
Pros
Money opportunities
Cons
Commission only
Leads by Example
Sales & Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 August 2017
Cutting Edge Retail Company, constantly changing product offering. Fun place to work. Very nice looking store with a professional interior designer onsite. Would highley recommend if your looking for well built furniture at a good price. Owner Manger onsite, great location in the south center of Ottawa just off HuntClub Road. Good hours of operation open 7 days a weeks. Brand new store plenty of parking.
Pros
New, Prices good.
Cons
Lots of competion close by for comparison shopping
Lion in Sheep's Clothing
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Multiple Locations17 August 2017
Excellent opportunity if they do what they say. High pressure sales are easy to deal with, but the political game played by upper management makes it a very difficult company to take seriously. Favouritism is rampant, so just be aware.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No work life balance, untrustworthy Management
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON23 July 2017
Fun place to work but no work/life balance. Some locations do really well traffic wise and you can earn a lot however many are mediocre. They like to hire a lot of staff which means it's harder to make a good income even if you're a top seller. Commission structure makes it difficult to obtain bonuses again, even if you're a top seller.
Pros
Love the people I work with
Cons
No work/life balance
Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC15 January 2017
fun place to work. love the accessorizing part of it. but the way they treat there employees isn't always fare but you make deal.
Free reins as for creativity.
visual presentation and marketing (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2016
After rigorous training it was gratifying to be able to let my talents go and do what I thought was good display and marketing work . Being given the trust that Koyman permitted me I was able to go to Toronto and Montreal to do their stores there . Christmas was the highlight as I could let my creativity go and was trusted to do aweome work. Trust was also a good issue with them.
Pros
Trust and beleif in my work
Cons
Money and chance of advancement
A competent retailer and a great employer.
Controller (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 January 2016
A very good retailer with strong systems and retail programs that is very well integrated into the successful retailing system of their corporate brand. They trust and empower their employees allowing them both to succeed in a very competitive industry.
Pros
Supportive and collaborative employer
Cons
Industry changes and corporate consolidation
fast paced and constant changes
Manager (Current Employee) –  alberta15 April 2015
Good place to work at if in retail. Mostly good management excdpt if you land up with a shrewed boss. Good team and good pay.
Pros
good income
Cons
not honest local regional management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ashley Furniture HomeStore. Our community is ready to answer.