Ashley Furniture HomeStore Employee Reviews

Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 November 2018
I worked at the Barrie location as a sale professional from June to August 2018. It was awful, the company swears by their no pressure approach to customers, meanwhile management will rip your head off behind closed doors for not trying to push people into buying. I always maintained in the top 3 for sales since the the day they opened and upon my termination I was told by management that it's because they "don't think I'll be able to support my family". I was in first for the month at $47,000, the person at the bottom was at $3,500.
Worst Management Team Ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK1 November 2018
I started working for the place a month ago, and the so called training was a joke. I was handed a book and told to read it. Yes I have sales experience but each place is different. The store manager is a complete joke, does not support all staff, just ones she likes. Sales Managers are also a joke, all the worry about is the numbers. Don't care if you need help or not. The whole management team needs to be replaced, They expect you to sell to every person who walks in the door.
Pros
Cons
Store Manager and her team
horrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON29 October 2018
very high turnover rate all the way from upper management to sales associates. within the last year new VP, Director and couple of regionals if you wanna talk about culture.

expect to be forced to work long hours and extra days.
if you refuse they will present you with a admin job or warehouse work at a low pay so even if you fight for wrongful dismissal you can't get EI because it'll be refusal of work.

any customer can walk in any day and get better than employee discount.

as minimum wage went up they are reducing admin and warehouse staff hours and sales people are expected to do more admin and cleaning work!!!!!

free lunches when you are forced to work open to close twice a month are gone.

commission structure changed 3 times in the past couple of years and if you refuse to sign again you get presented with an offer for a different role so you don't get packaged out!!!!

if you don't hit your target for 2 month you are out of the door it's called MAS when you read your contract so be aware.

They expect you do go out and advertise ( NON PAID) on your days off!!!!

If you leave the company within 6 month you don't get paid for all of your sales that are not delivered, and if it's delivered they switch it under someone else's name so you still don't get paid.

Finally out of there :) with better pay and better environment with a better company
Pros
all gone with new upper management
Cons
please read the comments
Good but slow
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON12 October 2018
A great place to work as far as the people and management. A lot of great products but serious buyers are few making it difficult to work on commission.
Trash
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC3 October 2018
Worst company ive ever worked for
Women are crude and snyde. No team atmosphere and exhausting! No breaks while the whip is being cracked and barely makimg 11.50 an hour. Brutal. Thankffully i left.
Pros
Cons
All of it
Dont waste your time!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 September 2018
Management is unfair. Coworkers steal customers and management will do nothimg about it. Very hard to make sales. I would not recommend this company to anyone, no matter how desperate you are. They even make you pay 3.00 every paycheck for any food treats that are brought in the store. You have to work every weekend.
Pros
Lots of coworkers
Cons
No weekends off
Productive and Helpfull
Customer Service( Product wrapping) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 September 2018
The overall working place is very good. All staff is very helpfull and incourageable...They provide all benifits to the worker . Safety is must in this working place ...
productive and fun workplace to advance work and grow.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 September 2018
great place to work grow and progress. awesome team work understanding towards emergent situations and highly cooperative team.great place to find a way to do an interactive job and learn to deal with the customers effectively.
Was only there for a short time but enjoyed it.
Customer Service Administration (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2018
This position was part time evening and weekends but eventually I had to leave due to family priorities. My manager was friendly, efficient and professional and I would love to work with her again.
Worst Place to work at
admin (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 August 2018
Management is terrible and rude. no work and life balance. just think about sales sales sales! and nothing else matters! some of the sales people bully you until you quit.
WORST place ever.
Pros
Nothing I can think of
what a joke
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 August 2018
I worked there for a few month , then decided to quit, the hardest part of the day is the morning meetings,stupid meeting everyday with silly jokes and acts from the management and you have to laugh at it otherwise you will considered not a team player, staff spy on each other, they preach that their company is very family oriented but it is far from it , everything looks clean and shiny from outside but it the other way around, most orders are on at least 4 to 6 weeks out to be delivered, i left the company and all the sales i had made went to the "House" and they did not give me my commission which was a few thousand dollars.I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Good job but poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 August 2018
Ashley is a great company to work for but unfortunately certain location are not. The Windsor location has very poor management that knows next to nothing about the products and procedures of Ashley. Customers are great and so were the other sales people.
Pros
Customers and coworkers
Cons
Poor management
Tough line of work, incredible pressure
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 August 2018
Typical day at work can be really boring, especially if overstaffed. Quickly run out of things to do in-between customers on most week days.

Loved the team but too much pressure and very uneven salary, which is common in commission based work.

Definitely not for everyone as management likes to add pressure and are often negative.
Pros
OK benefits, great team
Cons
Tough pay, negative management
Stupid meetings Every day, which are mandatory, so management can try to pump up sales staff!
Retail Sales Specialiast (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 July 2018
There is nothing great or good about about this job or management .The only support you get is when you are selling. And management will lie to staff about product and customer service.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
You have to laugh at bosses jokes !
Probably my favorite job.
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 July 2018
Worked warehouse, building furnature, moving stuff around, hanging wall art, loading and unloading furnature, and basic cleaning. all the associates there were super nice.
Cambridge location aweful place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 July 2018
Location is not great=lots of lookers, management chooses favorites and helps those favorites close sales and gives them sales, environment is toxic/drama especially on the sales floor, very little training, there is no room to advance, low pay and good luck ever making what they say you will make. Dont waste your time... like any place there are good days and dont get me wrong there were some...but all in all this is not a good place to work...even the owners of this location arent good...they will walk in once in awhile and ho to the offices they never interact with you even if they walk past you, they are incredibly cheap so don't expect a Christmas party or bonus
Pros
Once your a favorite you will be ok
Cons
Management, pay/commission potential, environment
Efficient but difficult management
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 May 2018
Amazing staff and fun work but managment has very unfair standards. Warehouse manager atleast in the Edmonton district has unfairly high standards and I was told multiple times but multiple people that alot of people get let go for being to slow.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Unfairly high standards from management
Nice place
Sales Professsional (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 May 2018
There were very good management with good benefits which they offer immediately after 3 months to all employees.
The only negative point is commission base salary for sales people which is a little hard to achieve in just 3 months.
people need more time to make some loyal customers and make money.
Enjoyable Workplace
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 May 2018
Ashley Furniture is a great place to work.If you're looking for competitive wages, this is not the place for you. Communication between Head Office and Store Level definitely needs improving, but hopefully one day it'll get there. Very little stress when communication occurs. No additional work opportunities, though, so job security isn't much of an issue so long as you work well. The most enjoyable part of the job is most of the team that we currently have, as it feels like family working here.
Pros
Enjoyable environment
Cons
Noncompetitive Wages
Not effiecient
Warehouse Merchandising Handler (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2018
The managers are lacking to say the least. Day by day it is chaotic, I don't honestly know why they are still in operation. I arrived there with little knowledge and was tasked to train the week after without having been trained myself.
Pros
They take suggestions seriously
Cons
Nothing gets done and the same problems persist/No Training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ashley Furniture HomeStore. Our community is ready to answer.