Art Is In Bakery Employee Review

View all Art Is In Bakery reviews

Please Take A Minute To Read This
Retail (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2019
Let me just make a list of some of the reasons why you shouldn't work here;

1.The owners, and unfortunately I can't use foul language, are disgusting people. All the stories I heard about people being fired without cause, I thought this couldn't possibly be true. It seems that they go through hiring sprees to get through the busiest season, which is alright. But they neglect to mention in the "job interview" that this may potentially be a temp job, as when January/February hits, they will be firing people, en masse, over email. Everything they do it legal, but it is shameful that a "family business" chooses to treat people who work hard and are committed 100%, like literal garbage.

2. Their idea of "being nice" is someone asking if you're ok once in a while and walking away before getting an answer from you, but God forbid if you need to step away for a glass of water, or to use the bathroom. That will put a wrench in this "well oiled machine" that seems to be missing way to many cogs.

3. The management, with the exception of 1 or 2 people, only because they haven't been working their long enough, are completely inept at showing any semblance of gratitude. They say to ask for help or to come to them with any problems you are having, and then throw it in your face at every opportunity.

4. Hard work is not appreciated. Past your first few days, you will not receive any positive feedback, and are expected to smile and be gleeful even though there is no air conditioning/heating, and you are being shouted at by customers because of the noise.

5. The other people
  more... there are usually just as miserable as you are, and are usually running on bits of pastry and free coffee. Is that really who you want to be standing beside all day?

6. The upper management has seen changes, and some of these people are inappropriate and disgusting to work with/for. Imagine being flirted with all day, told you are doing a great job and then being fired the next week without a reason.

7. As I mentioned earlier, climate control is virtually nonexistent, and the warehouse is usually hotter inside that outside in the summer months. Imagine that.

8. Older men flirting, and literally trying to spoon feed you soup. Disgusting.

9. Another point on management. Forget about training...if you don't know instantly what you are supposed to be doing, or if you look the tiniest bit confused, you bet your butt someone will come over, push you aside and do it for you with the most immature attitude that is absolutely unseemly in a work environment. Especially when it concerns a manager/ employee relationship. Oh, and you may be written up for it later, because you maybe didn't have a 100 watt smile on your face when the customer was yelling at you about whether they want their bread sliced or not.

10. Please don't work here. Final reason. Look at the Reddit/Ottawa thread for ArtIsIn. It is all true. And heck yes I'm a disgruntled former employee. But you can't make up THIS MUCH bad stuff about a business. With the best of my abilities, I will make this bakery known for how they treat their team.

*You are not special if they hire you after your" trial shift", they hire everyone
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Management, Hours, Prices

Other Art Is In Bakery Employee Reviews

I do not recommend
N/A (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2019
I would advise anyone who is thinking of working here to avoid it at all cost. Management only starts checking on employees when they notice that the company is starting to get internet hate. Nepotism is real in this company. The FOH manager has no clue what she's doing and lacks the skills for her job. Its honestly really sad to see them hire employees and get rid of them when they don't need them anymore.

The longer you stay you stay here the more you start to notice everything that is going wrong with the company. Its a game of favouritism here. Management might not want to admit but the company lacks diversity for a reason. They usually hire and decide to keep the same type of people.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
No breaks, management
Horrible Experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2019
Not worth the 30+ min wait, as well as the horror stories of the employees that work there. I feel genuinely terrible that a family run business treats their staff with little to no respect. Highly recommend anyone to go to Bread By Us. They dont have hiring sprees just to make it through the "tough seasons" then fire any employees that weren't good enough. Disgusting.
Pros
nothing.
Cons
long wait, The owners are rude to their staff, expensive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Art Is In Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8