Art Is In Bakery Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

I do not recommend
N/A (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2019
I would advise anyone who is thinking of working here to avoid it at all cost. Management only starts checking on employees when they notice that the company is starting to get internet hate. Nepotism is real in this company. The FOH manager has no clue what she's doing and lacks the skills for her job. Its honestly really sad to see them hire employees and get rid of them when they don't need them anymore.

The longer you stay you stay here the more you start to notice everything that is going wrong with the company. Its a game of favouritism here. Management might not want to admit but the company lacks diversity for a reason. They usually hire and decide to keep the same type of people.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
No breaks, management
Horrible Experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2019
Not worth the 30+ min wait, as well as the horror stories of the employees that work there. I feel genuinely terrible that a family run business treats their staff with little to no respect. Highly recommend anyone to go to Bread By Us. They dont have hiring sprees just to make it through the "tough seasons" then fire any employees that weren't good enough. Disgusting.
Pros
nothing.
Cons
long wait, The owners are rude to their staff, expensive
Please Take A Minute To Read This
Retail (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2019
Let me just make a list of some of the reasons why you shouldn't work here;

1.The owners, and unfortunately I can't use foul language, are disgusting people. All the stories I heard about people being fired without cause, I thought this couldn't possibly be true. It seems that they go through hiring sprees to get through the busiest season, which is alright. But they neglect to mention in the "job interview" that this may potentially be a temp job, as when January/February hits, they will be firing people, en masse, over email. Everything they do it legal, but it is shameful that a "family business" chooses to treat people who work hard and are committed 100%, like literal garbage.

2. Their idea of "being nice" is someone asking if you're ok once in a while and walking away before getting an answer from you, but God forbid if you need to step away for a glass of water, or to use the bathroom. That will put a wrench in this "well oiled machine" that seems to be missing way to many cogs.

3. The management, with the exception of 1 or 2 people, only because they haven't been working their long enough, are completely inept at showing any semblance of gratitude. They say to ask for help or to come to them with any problems you are having, and then throw it in your face at every opportunity.

4. Hard work is not appreciated. Past your first few days, you will not receive any positive feedback, and are expected to smile and be gleeful even though there is no air conditioning/heating, and you are being shouted at by customers because of the noise.

5. The other people
  more... there are usually just as miserable as you are, and are usually running on bits of pastry and free coffee. Is that really who you want to be standing beside all day?

6. The upper management has seen changes, and some of these people are inappropriate and disgusting to work with/for. Imagine being flirted with all day, told you are doing a great job and then being fired the next week without a reason.

7. As I mentioned earlier, climate control is virtually nonexistent, and the warehouse is usually hotter inside that outside in the summer months. Imagine that.

8. Older men flirting, and literally trying to spoon feed you soup. Disgusting.

9. Another point on management. Forget about training...if you don't know instantly what you are supposed to be doing, or if you look the tiniest bit confused, you bet your butt someone will come over, push you aside and do it for you with the most immature attitude that is absolutely unseemly in a work environment. Especially when it concerns a manager/ employee relationship. Oh, and you may be written up for it later, because you maybe didn't have a 100 watt smile on your face when the customer was yelling at you about whether they want their bread sliced or not.

10. Please don't work here. Final reason. Look at the Reddit/Ottawa thread for ArtIsIn. It is all true. And heck yes I'm a disgruntled former employee. But you can't make up THIS MUCH bad stuff about a business. With the best of my abilities, I will make this bakery known for how they treat their team.

*You are not special if they hire you after your" trial shift", they hire everyone
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Management, Hours, Prices
Such a great place to work
catering manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2019
I've had the pleasure of working here for the last 2 years. I've moved around in the company and got promoted after they saw my hard work. Because of the owners and management, I was able to balance my work life, family and my full time college program. They worked with me and the hours I needed and was available.
The owners are outstanding people,She is such a smart and passionate business woman, it's been truly remarkable working with her and to just continuously learn about the business side of the industry is really great and he is just a brilliant artist when it comes to creating food Working with someone that has that much passion and creativity is quite inspiring. The retail manager is very involved and passionate about every department and is really great to work with and so caring about the staff and customers. HR manager is someone that you can trust and just look up to for guidance, advice and everything else. Overall; we're a family here and we all help one another to grow and become the best version of ourselves in the work place. The owners always offer training and coaching if needed! Working here is truly great if you're passionate to learn and push forward, this is the perfect place to do so. You need to give 100% when you work here because it's such a fast faced and very busy bakery!!
Pros
great staff, passionate owners, benefits
Lots to Learn
Cook (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2019
Art Is In is a super intersting place to work. With 4 departments to work in, there is always something new to learn.
Everything is made from scratch with a very high standard of quality expected from every employee.
Kevin is so knowledgeable about bread and pastry and he does some killer specials.
There are a lot of people who have been there for a long time and it creates a nice environment to work in.
Staff parties are really good!
Pay is above average. Hours are usually flexible within reason.
One of the best places I’ve been
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 April 2019
I’ve worked in a few different restaurants and I have never seen more care be put in to making sure there is a good team here. I’m working the pizza nights and even when it’s super busy, I feel supported. I am never worried about coming in to work, and I always have a lot of fun and a lot of laughs while I’m there. The management goes the extra step to make sure I’m good, and helps me without question if I need it. I honestly have not been in a workplace with such a consistent amount of support, fun and security as this one!
Pros
Good tips, fun team, friendly customers
Working at Art-Is-In
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 March 2019
I have been working at Art-Is-In for a few years now and to this day I love coming to work. I was always recognized for my hard work and have moved up quite a bit with the company. The employee culture and work environment is actually fantastic contrary to what some people might say. The managers & owners care about you and they have high expectations.

It is hard work I'm not going to lie, and it is not for everyone but I learned so much in the last years and I was always supported. The bar is set high, you always have to give your 100% but you get recognition, a good pay, benefits & a family.

If you are debating about applying here because of some negative reviews you've seen I would suggest you see it for yourself and make your own opinion. There are LOTS of employees that have been here for years and LOVE their job, employees I see coming back. If you ask any of us we will tell you our honest opinion about why we love working here.
Pros
benefits, good tips, amazing co workers
Cons
hot in the summer
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 February 2019
Cook
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario4 February 2019
It is a very busy kitchen with food going to tables as well as being prepared for catering orders. I started work early -around 6am and was usually home be 3pm most days. Managers worked just as hard as staff and were fair. The kitchen has a good team.

they offer health benefits and that's not common for restaurant work.

All in all, I liked the job but had to leave because my family moved.
Pros
evenings free, health benefits, staff parties
Cons
very busy, short breaks
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 February 2019
N/A (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 November 2018
I love working at Art Is In
Retail server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa24 August 2018
I have been working at Art Is In for a couple of years and I love it. It get's very busy and can be hard work, but that's what you get in a restaurant. The business is great because the day goes by fast and I am always finished my shift before I know it.

The owners are demanding, but fair and have always treated me with respect. Servers start at 14$ per hour plus tips. The hours are good and I always have my evenings free. We all have to work weekends though, to make it fair to everyone.
Pros
fun staff parties, yummy food
Cons
Some customers are very rude
Extremely high paced with not much recognition
Second Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 August 2018
I have worked at Art-is-in for almost 2 years and it was the most challenging job I've ever had. I've learned a lot at this job, but it was extremely difficult and stressing and caused me to have to miss work due to health issues. I honestly wouldn't recommend this if you have a weak heart and are easily offended. You should also be prepared to be treated like a slave regardless of how much work you do.

All in all, if you really want to work here I don't want this review to stop you and things might have changed since I left. However, I'd say don't let it be a first option if it doesn't have to be.
Server/retail staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 August 2018