Art Gallery of Ontario

Art Gallery of Ontario Employee Reviews

Productive and fun environment

Great environment, i appreciate the time spent in AGO. Had to leave because of personal issue. If not that, i would be there till the retirement. Art plus, great gallery with lot of different sources to learn more about art too. Great people to work with.

Terrible

What is worse than terrible?? The morale here was horrible. Upper management was the worst, they care only about useless spending, not their front line staff.

Fantastic work experience. Highly recommended

I was hired with a temporary contract in the Food and Beverage Outlets. Since the day I started my contract to my last day I loved every second of it. There are days where it was massively busy but since there was more than enough staff members nothing felt stressful.

Official response from Art Gallery of Ontario

14 February 2020
We are so glad you enjoyed your time working at the AGO! We always aim to create a positive and collaborative workplace.

Not bad

Pretty good place to work. Gotta be aware of politics, same as any other non profit or govt org. They pay well, and if you do your job, you can stay forever. Not very mobile though- if you want to move up or over, you should go elsewhere.

Good

Good Place to learn, great work and life balance, management are reasonable to work for Great benefits, doesn’t have to work too late for a kitchen environment

Best place to work at

Management is friendly other departments respect and works together it's the place that you can be anything you want! A happy and cheerful environment.

A passionate workforce with a sometimes challenging lack of collaboration

The AGO has a great end product and while the staff and volunteers are passionate about the organization and the product, it can be difficult to get things done. There can be distinctive silos and a lack of understanding and collaboration between those silos.

A relaxed place to work

AGO is a place of business and fairness. Mornings were relaxed with very friendly employees. I learned a lot about paintings and other art exhibits. The hardest part of the job was standing for longs without saying too much to the fellow guards. Guards were not actually allowed to communicate with one another.

Physically Demanding

I would say it was physically Demanding, standing for the entire shifted a bit tiering, but overall okay. Management are flexible and understanding overall okay.

Pros

Fairly paid well

Cons

Too much standing

fun

enjoyed working with kids. learned a lot about the arts. would definitely recommend. great for high school students looking for a summer volunteer option.

Jobs at Art Gallery of Ontario

See more jobs

Stressful management environment

Most staffs are only interested in their own specialized area and don't care about other people's work and effort. Therefore, some people are feeling being disrespect at work, or their skills got disagreeing most of the time. But this is also can be a natural of beings, hard to change, hard to fix.

Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) offers opportunity for career growth and to learn about Art

The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) offers opportunity for career growth in finance, accounting, management and to learn about Art. While at the AGO, I learned the many aspects for the Gallery business including; budget preparation, fund accounting, month end reporting, investment portfolio management, Foundation financial statement preparation and coordination of the annual audit, donor management, charity tax returns and governance. The most enjoyable part of the job was to be able to experience great Art and Exhibitions.

supervising campers

the AGO is a very friendly work environment and accommodates to all needs . The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was to work and communicate with the campers.

Centre for arts and cultural education

The Art Gallery of Ontario is a dynamic centre for arts and cultural education. The immersive galleries offer an approachable experience to appreciate the works on display and learn at your own pace and interest. The methodology of cultural learning is supported by the knowledgeable staff and volunteers.

Professional, creative and fun working environment.

I have yet to work in a drama free working environment like AGO provides. From the management at the top down to the coordinators there is a unified approach and communication with all staff members. AGO is both a professional and personable workplace.

fun workplace

the supervisors were supporting and friendly. They guided us effectively. The hours of work were flexible. I really enjoyed working with my team and the visitors at the gallery.

Exciting and Great Place to Work At

I was a camp counsellor during the summer time. At the AGO we always keep it friendly and professional during our work hours, and during our breaks we are like a family always joking around and telling each other stories. Although we always stay alert - almost never have to worry about anything because as colleagues we always have each others backs. Management is amazing, always checking in to see how everyone is doing and always seeking for feedback for further improvements. Hardest part of the job was supervising the children since they are always full of energy, however, its always great working along their side and seeing the art work that they create in their studio.

Great place to work!

Within the Art Gallery of Ontario there is a great working environment supported by a great Union. It is a fun place to work with great patrons and coworkers.

Great experience

I learned about the various education programs and teaching methods in the context of a gallery and experienced learning how to teach various ages from early childhood up to university students. I was able to work along side other educators and assist in gallery tours and guide students through various exhibitions and engage them through discussions and art related activities. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students and seeing how they took what they learned and experienced through the exhibitions and seeing how they translated that in their own art making through the small workshops at the end of the tour. This job was not hard at all it was very enjoyable and the staff was great to work with.

Pros

great working environment

Amazing people and aura

World class staff and art collection. Only detraction for me was this was a year long maternity leave coverage, thus the low score on job security. However, the support, wonderful direction of the new CEO, and top notch, classy, educated staff, made this one of my favourite jobs ever. I would recommend anyone to work there if the stars align and you are able to achieve it. I felt blessed being a part of the AGO.

Pros

Setting and Beautiful staff

Cons

it was only a contract! Wish I was still there

Beautiful workplace and great staff

Creative and fun workplace. Great knowledgeable staff. Great work environment and very spacious. Diverse programming to attract diverse audience. Art display areas are beautifully laid out. Hardest part- can be repetitive at times Most enjoyable- Providing library books and researching

Pros

Socials for staff

Cons

not enough work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Art Gallery of Ontario. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4

3.7Job security/advancement

Compare Art Gallery of Ontario with

Art Gallery of Ontario Reviews by Location

• Art Gallery of Ontario
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?