Art Gallery of Ontario Employee Reviews

bullies and backstabbers including management
MAINTENANCE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 May 2019
so yea as the tittle said, i had a problem with my supervisor to the point to threaten me with false accusations, together with another coworkers but i didn't let myself get pushed around so i fought back and my supervisor didn't like it, she got coworker to start ignoring me and glare at me the days i used to go to work they used to disconnect the battery of the vacuum or take stuff away from my area of work, i went to HR and talk to them of what are they doing but at the end, not even HR helped me nor the UNION and cuz i was on my probation period they laid me off 1 hr before i passed my probation period, when i got laid off they got me into a room with union representative, a person from HR and the manager of the department i was and i could see how they were throwing the ball at each other and at the end nobody told me why i was getting laid off.
Pros
discount coupons i guess
Cons
bully coworkers poor management
fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2019
the supervisors were supporting and friendly. They guided us effectively. The hours of work were flexible. I really enjoyed working with my team and the visitors at the gallery.
Exciting and Great Place to Work At
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2018
I was a camp counsellor during the summer time. At the AGO we always keep it friendly and professional during our work hours, and during our breaks we are like a family always joking around and telling each other stories. Although we always stay alert - almost never have to worry about anything because as colleagues we always have each others backs. Management is amazing, always checking in to see how everyone is doing and always seeking for feedback for further improvements. Hardest part of the job was supervising the children since they are always full of energy, however, its always great working along their side and seeing the art work that they create in their studio.
Great place to work!
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2017
Within the Art Gallery of Ontario there is a great working environment supported by a great Union. It is a fun place to work with great patrons and coworkers.
Great experience
Education Intern/ AGO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2017
I learned about the various education programs and teaching methods in the context of a gallery and experienced learning how to teach various ages from early childhood up to university students. I was able to work along side other educators and assist in gallery tours and guide students through various exhibitions and engage them through discussions and art related activities.

the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students and seeing how they took what they learned and experienced through the exhibitions and seeing how they translated that in their own art making through the small workshops at the end of the tour.

This job was not hard at all it was very enjoyable and the staff was great to work with.
Pros
great working environment
Amazing people and aura
ASSISTANT MANAGER, FACILITIES SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
World class staff and art collection. Only detraction for me was this was a year long maternity leave coverage, thus the low score on job security. However, the support, wonderful direction of the new CEO, and top notch, classy, educated staff, made this one of my favourite jobs ever. I would recommend anyone to work there if the stars align and you are able to achieve it.
I felt blessed being a part of the AGO.
Pros
Setting and Beautiful staff
Cons
it was only a contract! Wish I was still there
Beautiful workplace and great staff
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
Creative and fun workplace. Great knowledgeable staff. Great work environment and very spacious. Diverse programming to attract diverse audience. Art display areas are beautifully laid out.

Hardest part- can be repetitive at times
Most enjoyable- Providing library books and researching
Pros
Socials for staff
Cons
not enough work
great work place
Protection Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2016
Art Gallery of Ontario is one of the best work places i have ever worked. Their Protection Services staff and all the other departments work as a team.
good people very helpful and fair
protection service officer (Former Employee) –  galleries19 August 2016
great experience with good people who have your back and go out of their way to make sure you are good and help where its needed.

always looked forward to going into work great atmosphere !
Fun and creative workplace
Counsellor in Training (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
Greeted and connected with children ·
·Assisted camp instructors with activities
Assisted in cultivating an artistic and imaginative environment
Organized and Enjoyable place to work at.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2016
Working at the AGO is a great and valuable experience. My favourite part of the job is the fact that I get to work in such a creative and exciting place. My co-workers and I make a great team.
Wonderful collection. Arrogant rude managers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2016
HR disaster!
Very disorganized. Lots of firing and quitting. This may have been due to the lack of a director for several years...?
Staff was extremely cliquish and non inclusive.
Micro management control styles.
Pros
Fantastic Art
Cons
Filthy staff room
Busy
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario19 October 2015
Writing reports, dealing with customer concerns. Long days and no weekends off with late starts. Great staff from all departments as well.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Poor treatment of security staff from customers and management
Professional and Productive
Emily Carr Live Comic Event (Former Employee) –  Art Gallery of Ontario5 June 2015
Live comic drawing event based on Emily Carr's painting and personal Life, in amazing place, AGO, with young and talented artists from Independent Illustration program from Seneca College.
The hardest part was the time management to finish the illustrations in the good level of skills.
The most enjoyable part of this project for me was illustrating some aspects and events of a real amazing artist with using references from her life and aboriginal arts.
Fun& Tiring AGO Volunteering
Vollunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2015
Volunteering at the AGO was a rewarding experience, where I was giving a good amount of responsibility, yet the management was very well structured and I never felt over whelmed. I came in for 7:45 am, set up for the children, and then entertained them at they arrived with card games and hand games. I assisted the art teacher in teaching the group, as well as with set up and clean up. I created games to do with the children during break periods, and I had my own private lunch break. My day ended at 5:30pm. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a very strong enthusiasm and optimism at all times when it was such a long day, and the best part was seeing a positive impact I made on the kids.
Pros
Well organized, working with children
Productive and fun workplace
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2015
Do activities with the kids for nearly an hour
take them to their art lessons
lunch/games
art lessons
free time where organized games/activities are played
home

it would change throughout the week such as theme days and camp wide activities pre planned.

I've learned a lot about art, new things to try, new games, new ways of handling situations.

management is very nice and understanding although will speak to you if you do mess up/step out of line.

co-workers are hard working and extremely fun

hardest job is thinking of activities or games when you've run out of ideas but volunteers with you and kids will always have games ready.

most enjoyable are the kids, the art lessons and the co workers
Pros
free pizza lunch on the friday on march break
Cons
early mornings = long hours
A great place to work and to be around famous artwork
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  toronto, on7 March 2014
Working in retail sales, excellent co-workers, workload was manageable. Customers were friendly
unionized, wonderful working environment
Barista and Café Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2013
• Knowledge of exhibits and artists currently being promoted at the gallery
• Knowledge of the gallery and its architectural history
Pros
part of a union
A small company with an owner and director who cares for her employees and her clients.
Marketing research Bilingual Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Montreal5 July 2013
The projects where I worked had deadlines and specific demographic criteria to be covered I learn to interview people of all ages and backgrounds with the help of the director of operations, the hardest part of the job was to complete the quotas and the most enjoyable to work in a safe and respectful environment with clear instructions that allowed me to complete the projects efficiently.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Work per project, sometimes there were no project to work in and have a steady income.
An overall great place to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  toronto7 September 2012
work is rather easy, but it is a great place to work and the patrons are different
Pros
the pay is exellent
Cons
it can be a little boring