Arrow Transportation Systems Inc. Employee Reviews

Very good
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC13 August 2018
Employees are good to work with.management could be more resably to the drivers.trucks are descent.trailers are not bad.good runs.wait times are sometimes long.
Pros
Good runs
Cons
Bad hrs8
Great Career Development & Even Better Co-Workers
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 May 2018
I have been with Arrow for close to 5 years. The number one thing that sticks out for me is the people that I work with. You are cared for as an employee and as an individual. As soon as I joined Arrow I felt like part of the family. Arrow has provided an environment where I can continue to grow in my career, and have the opportunity to try new ideas.

I enjoy working with each part of the business as it is very diverse and never standing still. Arrow is growing, and I'm excited to see what is next :)
Pros
I love the people I work with. Who doesn't like having fun at work?
Cons
Arrow is quite spread out geographically which can be a pro and a con.
An amazing place to come to work everyday!
Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 May 2018
From loader operators to our COO everyone truly cares about Arrow that works here and always has each other's back. The workplace culture is amazing at Arrow and people are rewarded for their hard work. A typical day at work can be 10-12 hours usually, but the culture and atmosphere at the office and division level is outstanding. The most enjoyable part of my job is coming to work every day for a great boss that truly cares about the company and every individual employee. Arrow is also the most ethical company I have ever worked for and they do things the right way. One last thing, at Arrow they are also open to new innovative ideas from any person in the company and take all recommendations seriously....which I love!!
Pros
Great boss, hardworking company, fair pay, high ethical standards, friendly people throughout the company
Cons
Long Hours (But it does not feel long when you enjoy every minute!)
World-class workplace
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 May 2018
A typical day at work involves creativity and collaboration with colleagues throughout the company on myriad projects. I've learned about how to conduct business with integrity while pushing hard for success and taking care of your team. Management put in long hours to keep the business operating smoothly. This is true throughout the rough patches, the dedication and focus doesn't let up when things are going well either, that's how to stay ahead.

Arrow has the most diverse workplace culture I've ever been a part of. It centers around honesty, respect and fairness with a clear vision for the company's future. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the high bar set by those around me. The most enjoyable part is celebrating success when we achieve those standards!
Pros
Positive work culture that encourages everyone to be their best selves.
Cons
None.
Great Company, Great People
Driver (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 May 2018
Arrow is an honest company who cares about their employees. New equipment, however the newer DEF trucks tend to break down more. Pay is above average for the work we do and we have pension and health benefits
Pros
New equipment, good pay
Cons
New equipment, long hours.
19 June 2018

Thank you so much for your comments! We're so glad to hear working at Arrow has been a good experience for you.

Great Place to Work!
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 May 2018
I have worked in a variety of positions in Arrow and have enjoyed every one of them. Management has always been respectful and flexible. I appreciate that they are interested in my personal development, and love the people here!
Inconsistent and Dangerous Mentors
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC30 April 2018
One mentor will tell you one way to do things and the other will tell you something else. Need a consistent mentor program and mentors that don't constantly tell you to not listen to the other mentor. Need mentors that know how to mentor. While driving they will often change gears and other controls on you which is unsafe and distracting.
Pros
Friendly co-workers willing to help a newby out, new equipment
Cons
Current mentor skills and attitude, inconsistent hours due to mentor fear of weather
9 May 2018

Hello and thanks for your comment. We investigated this issue with our Management staff in Chilliwack and we understand a meeting was held with you and the 2 Mentors in question and through improved communication and understanding this issue has been resolved. Please do not hesitate to further discuss this issue with your manager so that we can continuously work towards a constructive training and mentorship program.

Best job I've ever had
Director of People Systems (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 April 2018
I've had many incarnations of a career but none I've enjoyed as much as Arrow and have been here 10 years and counting!

This is a forward thinking company that puts relationships first. We have customers we've been with for decades; employees that have celebrated 20, 30 and 40 years with us and suppliers we consider a part of the Arrow family.

I'm excited to be a part of our 100 year celebrations in 2019!
Pros
The People are Great!
Cons
Transportation is a lifestyle and not for the faint of heart
Stay away
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC2 April 2018
Arrow has found a loophole to our overtime laws by paying a trip rate. Drivers work 12-13 hour days, and don't get overtime. This means you make the same money as someone making exactly $20/hr but getting paid LAWFULLY overtime. $20/hr is FAR below industry standards. Wake up Arrow and start paying your driver's like they're worth something. Not just a number.
Pros
Employment
Cons
NO OVERTIME pay!!!!!
6 April 2018

When new drivers start at Arrow, our management team discusses compensation to ensure our drivers understand the collective agreement and how drivers will be paid. I apologize if this was not your experience.

In BC, truck drivers that haul within an average radius of 160km's are entitled to overtime after working 60 hours in a week. I'm wondering if you assumed it was after 8 hours per day. There are different regulations for different occupations.

When Arrow moved from an hourly wage to trip rates, it had zero impact on what we paid in overtime. Drivers were not paid any less. Drivers often beat their trip time or flat rate and in the winter months, yes sometimes they drive longer than their trip time. However, we are able to review a report at anytime to ensure our drivers are always paid within the trip time on average.

We have to compete with other carriers that haul lumber, chips and ore and this is common practice in our industry.

In addition to trip rates in the Chilliwack area, we offer a $1.50/hr. pension which is conservatively equivalent to $3,660/year. All employees are entitled to their hourly pension earned while working at Arrow. Please contact your Union office and let them know what you would like to do with your Pension dollars that you've accumulated during your time with us.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact our HR group at 1-877-571-9777.

Enjoyable yet hardworking at times overall great company!
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Stewart, BC14 March 2018
I have been with Arrow only 3 mnths so far, I have done 3 different hauls, all mine related ore/con. It has been challenging and a great learning exp overall. The management team in Stewart is top notch, you do good by them and its appreciated. Glad I made the switch! Great mentors and co workers no man is left behind, they stay on top of equipment, things happen in this biz so is what it is sometimes w/e the wheels roll again. Looking forward to what ever comes next. The north is where to come work!
Pros
Co workers, management, new trucks and great exp on northern hwys!
Cons
Not a whole lot, always a bit of politics but not much in this division.
19 March 2018

Glad you're enjoying your time up North! Spring and summer are beautiful in Stewart. Then again, so are fall and winter:)

Not a bad place to work if you take adam out of the picture
Ex driver (Former Employee) –  Prince george10 March 2018
Co workers were awesome to work with...one of the best trainers i have ever had....but management is a joke adam thinks he owns the company and treats the drivers like dirt .get rid of adam and you will have a top noch company
Pros
Good pay. Good trainer
Cons
Management is a joke and stupid start times
You get what you put in.....
Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC23 February 2018
My time at Arrow has been 100%positive.... There is a willing to go the extra mile when management does the same. You are rewarded when a job is well done and given a chance to correct any ssues as they arise.....
Great and knowledgeable co-workers who share knowledge and work together for the most part to make sure you always get home safe...
Pros
Pay/ benefits
Cons
Night shift
26 February 2018

So glad to hear about your experience in Prince George! That means a lot to us as we are growing in Northern BC and it's good to know you think we've got a solid foundation. We've got some fantastic drivers and mentors in that area.

Out of touch company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Coast, BC11 February 2018
Management is so out of touch here they seem to have no knowledge or care of the physical and human aspects of this job.
They buy medium duty, short wheelbase P&D tractors and put them in the most demanding on road workload on the planet. Between the continuous breakdowns, drivers don't want to risk their necks in these undersized trucks in adverse weather, so bully tactics are used to force them out.
The workforce here is micro managed in every aspect imaginable to the point where even access to washer fluid is regulated.
Speeds are slower than industry standards, so getting scooped by competing companies and waiting for them without compensation because arrows wait time structure is a near daily occurance.

This company has become all about the almighty $, where even safety and compliance is taking a back seat more and more as time goes by and this has become a revolving door workplace as a result.
Pros
Drivers here climb the seniority ladder quickly. Benefit/retirement package
Cons
This is where ones dignity and individuality comes to die.
14 February 2018

You've brushed on many points, many of which we don't view as accurate but respect these are your perceptions. The best recommendation I would have is for you to meet with your Divisional Supervisor/Manager to discuss these issues to get a better understanding of why we do what we do.

We are speed restricted for safety reasons, the trucks we purchase are industry standard and have been for over 25 years. The length of our trucks have always been the same. We take Safety very seriously and would expect that if you deem anything to be unsafe that you bring it to our attention immediately.

In terms of tractor breakdowns, unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. Since 2008 (new emissions standards) tractor reliability has decreased, and that holds true for everyone. We agree that this is very disruptive and expensive and endeavor to work through it.

welcome to hellrrow
Driver (Former Employee) –  Stewart, BC7 February 2018
2 parts of management / and long time employees that like to trow under the bus so they can feel superior.Get blame for things you haven't done .ON REGULAR BASES!! Away from family is not worth it !! IN THE CAMP IS NO DAY OFF!!
Pros
Cons
say goodbye to your life
9 February 2018

We're sorry you had a bad experience in Stewart. We try to provide the best accommodations we can in the area. We do know that camp life, particularly in a remote location, isn't for everyone. We will take your comments into advisement and see if there are areas in which we can improve.

Good place to work good people most of them
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC26 January 2018
I find the most frustrating part of the job is the politics with cross shifts, you can let office and dispatch know that you are not happy and that the cross shifts are not leaving on there start times or not pulling there own wait and nothing is done it’s like there afraid to take action cause it’s so hard to find drivers that want to do this kind of work. I strongly agree that if you are a hard worker and pull your wait you should be rewarded for that you shouldn’t gave to deal with the politics of other employees. Other then that I love working for arrow
Pros
Great people mostly good co-workers
Cons
Dealing with lousy cross shifts no accountability
5 February 2018

Thank you for your honesty and feedback. If this has been your experience, it is something we definitely need to investigate. We have reached out to our Chilliwack Divisions to discuss this matter to ensure we are holding our drivers and other employees accountable.

Good place to get experience
9 Axle Ore and 8 Axle Super B Operator (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC6 November 2017
Challenges/Inconsistencies range from not enough hours, too many hours, equipment break downs. Frozen loads have to be cleaned so lots of shoveling and chipping. All trucks are shared and work 24/7. Some politics...
18 January 2018

Appreciate your comments and for taking the time to provide feedback. The challenges and inconsistencies are unfortunate but are a part of a bulk hauling career. We all do the best we can to accommodate both the customer and the drivers but our customers production, needs and expectations will fluctuate from time to time.

Regarding frozen loads, Arrow has spent an enormous amount of time and money researching safe and effective anti-freezing agents and non-sticking surfaces. Results have been mixed but we continue to explore other options. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

No overtime pay
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC20 October 2017
Low pay, no overtime pay. You would think being a union job you get overtime pay.

Never even got anything at Christmas time. No bonus , nothing.
....
Pros
Ok equipment
Cons
Low pay, no overtime pay.
19 January 2018

Arrow's pay structure is very similar to most trucking companies in our industry. We pay a "trip rate" which accounts for all hours it takes to haul in a particular corridor and includes overtime.

In addition to an hourly pay rate, Arrow pays an hourly amount into a pension plan and has a very competitive extended medical benefits program which pays 100% of your BC MSP and includes Dental, Pharmaceutical, Vision Care, Paramedical and much more for you and your dependents.

Give our HR team a call and we'd be happy to review this with you anytime.

long hours & lots of time waiting around to start shift due to your cross-shift running late without compensation.
Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC17 September 2017
underpaid as to the responsibility & dependability required to satisfy the expectations of company's schedules.If you are running late due to wait times or traffic & don't have the legal time left to complete your shift,you forfeit hourly pay without recourse.Arrow is Unionized,but my take-home pay is less than it was 6 years ago because of amends to the contract as well as increases of CPP & EI deductions.
Pros
full benefits &decent wage
Cons
irregular hours & hard to meet shift schedules.
19 January 2018

We understand it's frustrating when things out of our/your control (weather, traffic etc..) slow things down but we have to ensure we are compliant with Hours of Service legislation.

Our pay rates have consistently increased in Chilliwack for several years and not sure why your take home is less. Give me a call at 1-877-571-9777 and happy to look into this anytime.

ok place to work
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 February 2017
Hardest part of job is always working nights, not a lot of time with family, work from 5 pm to 3:30 am

Nice work atmosphere with fellow co/workers, when needed advice it was freely given.

Gained more experience operating front end loader when I needed to load myself.
Pros
stable year round work
Cons
always night shift
19 January 2018

Thank you for your feedback. It's always nice to hear about our employees and coworkers.

Our trucks are all double shifted and we have shifts that start at all hours of the day. Enjoying a shift is a very personal thing and sorry that nights have not worked for you.

Hard workers are rewarded well.
Class-1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Prosvita, AB2 May 2016
I learned quickly that the oil and gas industry is not the only place where people are well paid and rewarded for their accomplishments.
I can work all day easily and not be stressed out by my supervisors and not be ridiculed when problems occur.
Pros
Easy going atmosphere.
Cons
No cons.
22 January 2018

Thank you for your comments. Nice to hear you're enjoying working for us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arrow Transportation Systems Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Arrow Transportation Systems Inc. Reviews by Job Title