Aroma Espresso Bar Employee Reviews

Great and enthusiastic place to work at !
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2019
Aroma was a fun place to work at with very cultured and outgoing people. The energy was always bubbly with the employees and the customer relationships were up to par.
Pros
lunch
Cons
hours
Would not recommend
Cashier / Barista (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON16 June 2019
I worked as a cashier and barista. Had to deal with rude customers and no matter what I tried to do to please the customer, they somehow told my boss about me and I would get in trouble.
I worked so hard and my boss still likes the employees who do the minimum.
As for salaries, my boss always paid me 10% less from what I should get (aka I got paid 1 hour less) when I brought up this issue he said he will take care of it and its been several months now

I would only recommend this job for high school students who need experience (short term kind of employment)
Pros
free pastry + drinks
Cons
coworkers, management, cutting corners, rude customers, many more
Good place to work as a student
CASHIER & BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2019
From my experience, Aroma is super chill environment to work at, especially for students. The one thing I've ever had a problem with are the customers who are quite rude at times but I guess that's customer service for you! Management is amazing and super accommodating.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Rude customers
Decent job
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2019
Management was fine, manager can be accommodating if you speak to them. Colleagues made work a better place. Can get very hectic due to all Jewish customers but usually there is enough staff.
Pros
Enough hours made and lunch provided since you cannot bring outside non-kosher food inside
Cons
No outside food
Company doesn't care about you
Kitchen Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2019
I had lots of problems with the owner of 2 locations and the company didn't care. Overwork, more resposabilites than they ask at the interview, deorganized workplace and managment.
needs a lot of work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2019
There were lots of higher up positions being left and filled causing a lot of stress to the other employees. They just need more of an organized management team.
Pros
free coffee, good with scheduling days off, good people to work with
Cons
something was always broken and the grease trap needed to be cleaned a lot more frequently
I don't recommend you work here
line cook / Busser Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON10 February 2019
the management here is the absolute worst thing I've ever seen at a restaurant. there is no official manager and everything, including the scheduling, is dictated by a bunch of teenagers. the manager is only in the store for maybe 2-3 hours a day. And to top it all off he tried to pay me in cash instead of giving me a check.
Quite stressful but very opening as well.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 February 2019
Stress ful job wityh many long hours and not the greatest head office but the people that i met while working have opened up many possiblities for future projects. Thats includuing employees aswell as all of the different customers i met everyday. I gained multiple different skills that can now help me as i look to find a new job.
Pros
Free food, Flexible hours, great staff.
Cons
Stressful head office, long commute.
Think twice before get a job there. Is a local coffee shop that want to be as bigger than Starbucks , but they don't have any idea about how to do it.
Assistant Manager/Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2019
Is true that you can get experience, but the most of the time the owners or managers don't think to much about their employees so if are looking to grow inside a company this is not a good option.
Pros
Free coffee, learning about drinks
Cons
District managers are so unrespectful Whit their employee, dirty places, they don't pay on time and the paycheck always have missed hours
Great
Barista (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 January 2019
Great for coffee lovers who want a great environment with a great team. Learn how to make espresso based drinks at a great pace. great place to gain experience
Unorganized training process and poor management
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON25 November 2018
I worked here as a line cook for a couple weeks and initially had an okay experience, however it quickly became clear that they didn't have enough people working in order for the new employees to learn. The location I worked at seemed to also have an extremely high turn over rate for new line cooks as i was told by one of my coworkers that they hired 5 new line cooks within the span of 2 months.

I was usually paired up with one other person in the kitchen and didn't really have opportunity to learn as during busy hours there is really no chance for new employees to soak in all the new information.

Although the manager was nice, it was a very high pressure situation as I was expected to be alone in the kitchen only on my 3rd week, and was given a number of closing duties that I was not prepared for.

Overall, although it was quite fun working with my coworkers, the training process was not thorough as there was no training system in place. It was basically job shadowing the entire time which means I had to learn everything at once with no an unorganized training process.
Pros
Good for someone who wants to gain BOH experience
Cons
poor management, poor training
it was ok
Supervisor/Key holder Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2018
it was okay but it was very fast paced, breaks were super short and pay was minimum. management wasn't organized and lack of communication and i dealt with a lot of snobby customers.
Amazing workplace
Closing manager/ key holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 November 2018
There were never typical days at Aroma. Every day we faced either new challenges or difficult customers. However, cleaning, serving, and positivity was part of a daily routine.
I learned interpersonal skills and how to stay calm in a midst of an enormous rush, but still be able to get things done quickly and efficiently.
The hardest part of the job was facing very difficult customers.
The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to work in an amazing environment.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad customers
fun workplace.
SUPERVISOR/BARISTA (FULL TIME) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 October 2018
Depending on your coworkers this could be a great environment to practice and perfect your barista skills. They even offer a certification process as a barista. (written and practical exam)
Customer Service and Barista
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
My responsible at Aroma was customer service and cashier, making all kinds of coffee and baking the pastry, and all kinds of preparation and maintain cleaning.
My workplace has a nice environment with a nice employer and employees as well as customers.
The most challenge was waking up every early morning at 5 am. However, I haven't never late and call sick. I really love coffee and I really wanted to make nice coffee for every customer. Therefore, I really enjoyed my work as a barista.
Not too bad not good
Barista, Casher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2018
Working condition was okay however management was really bad.
I sometime had to work 7 or 8 days in a row.
My co-workers are the only reason i was working there for.
Fast-paced environment
Barista, Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
I appreciate being trained as a barista, where I learned to make different espresso-based drinks. The co-workers were friendly, and the store manager was professional. The coffeeshop would get very busy at lunch hours, however, and at times it felt like more staff were needed. But generally speaking, I enjoyed my experience working as a barista at Aroma.
Pros
50% discount on food while on shift
Cons
The store could benefit from more staff during rush hours
Great place to work at.
Busser/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
Working at Aroma was a good experience. Due to the fact that it is a corporation, the staff are treated well. The job was easy and involved a routine. The staff was respectful and the customers were great.
Pros
Great staff, close to home
Cons
The franchisee pulled out, therefore the store was left without proper management.
Friendly environment, friendly staff
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2018
I enjoyed the work, it was fun working the AM shifts. Was able to meet great people and gained useful skills along the way that I can now incorporate within my other careers in the future.
Aroma
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2018
A very good job.
pretty busy
I enjoy working with my co workers as well as meeting costumers
The culture is mixed with a bunch of different cultures which is great