Aroma Espresso Bar

Aroma Espresso Bar Employee Reviews

Canada96 reviews
When I worked at the Leaside village location, the manager was rarely on-site, and when they were, they were usually in the back-rooms.
The owner was very friendly and supportive, but the manager - who was the owner's daughter - was not as friendly and was irresponsible.

So irresponsible that they did not schedule an evening employee so I worked from 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM. THREE DAYS IN A ROW
Pros
Unlimited free beverages, half price food (3 orders max)
Cons
this is by far the most toxic and damaging work environment that I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing. My coworkers were great and most of the customers were very nice people but the abhorrent management, specifically the owner, have created such an unnecessarily stressful environment. The owner is belittling, rude, sexist, racist and above all else oblivious to the damage he is doing. Him and his parents are constantly hovering, micromanaging and gaslighting the employees. All while making ridiculous attempts to “save money” which ends up as just simply cutting corners at the risk of customer health. They run the business with complete disregard to employment standards and health and safety protocols. The list could go on and on...
Pros
the salads are good and so are the croissants
Cons
absolutely abysmal work environment, unfair treatment, unsolicited comments towards female employees, physical harassment, rampant racism sexism and homophobia, everything else about the job
Great location, smart coworkers and corporate support really made my time working there great! It is hard work being a store manager but with the right team anything is possible!
Pros
Happy staff
Cons
Locatiom was far from my home
The staff were amazing and helping and very supportive.
though the work was fast paced but if you were with the people who are really nice you would not even notice when your time on shift passed.
The workplace is great for a team player to work. It is a great place to explore your culinary skills as well as in leadership roles maintaining the customer experience such as supervisor, team leader, kitchen manager and store manager.
I have worked at Aroma for a year, and it has by far been the most stressful job I have ever had. I experienced a change in management, which resulted in 90% of staff being let go, and I was taken off the schedule indefinitely for calling in sick (I was in the hospital and provided appropriate documentation) was told “the business can’t have the risk.” Certain locations get extremely busy, are very understaffed and customers frequently complain about food accuracy and quality (FOH is often apologizing for BOH mistakes, with no attempt to rectify these mistakes from management.) I have also worked at two other locations, which were unexpectedly shut down, with little information from management and poor if any, severance. The amount of tasks that are expected of you, in addition to zero job security makes this a terrible place to work. Head office is rude and treats employees with zero respect. This is a good place to learn the absolute basics of coffee culture, but I would recommend planning to leave sooner rather than later.
Pros
50% discount on food and cold drinks
Cons
no job security, poor management, overwhelming lunch rushes, glorified fast food environment
At Aroma Espresso Bar, there are many opportunities for growth; you can learn and be trained in different positions, such as Bar, Cash, Dispatch, Kitchen and Catering. I find that very rewarding because you can move forward in the company and are not stuck in the same place you started.
The place was rather small and always crowed because there wasnt enough space to hold all the customers. The co-workers we're fun to talk to at slower times in the day which helped the work day not drag on.
Pros
Free Coffee
Dont listen if they say you'll get full time hours. Most of the time the longest shift you'll work is 6 hours. Not enough hours to survive and you'd be lucky to make more than $2 in tips a day. Also the manager at the location I worked at (queen and spadina) did not care about any of the employees. Also if you work at that specific location, expect to clean the most disgusting bathroom.
It is a fun place to work, but can be poorly managed at times. Complaints are heard but not always addressed. Other than than management is very nice and cares about us. Scheduling is also nice given that we got our schedule two days before the week and could book off.
high stress environment with nepotism and unreasonable requirements from both employers and patrons. no room for (paid) advancement in the company and an unhealthy culture of interpersonal interactions.
Aroma has an excellent work environment with good work life balance. the company allows for close relationships with owners which would allow a motivated individual to explore possible management positions and gain management experience.
Being a barista is a very fun job, but as it gets busy working can become stressful. Make sure everything you make is perfect and things must be in consistent.
The location I worked at was pretty chilled. There was always something interesting happening there.Customers and managers were pretty cool. Being a mom the hours worked really well for me
Said I would be training for two weeks two days after I got an email saying they don’t need me anymore they found someone that would make a good fit .
Pros
Team
Cons
Bad management
The management could be better. The team is amazing and everybody is really co-operative. A typical workday was not hectic at all and the environment was really chill.
Aroma was a fun place to work at with very cultured and outgoing people. The energy was always bubbly with the employees and the customer relationships were up to par.
Pros
lunch
Cons
hours
While working at Aroma Espresso Bar I found that i was able to be accommodated with my changing availability. I found the work to be easy to learn as long as you are dedicated.
Pros
coffee
Cons
bugs
I worked as a cashier and barista. Had to deal with rude customers and no matter what I tried to do to please the customer, they somehow told my boss about me and I would get in trouble.
I worked so hard and my boss still likes the employees who do the minimum.

As for salaries, my boss always paid me 10% less from what I should get (aka I got paid 1 hour less) when I brought up this issue he said he will take care of it and its been several months now

I would only recommend this job for high school students who need experience (short term kind of employment)
Pros
free pastry + drinks
Cons
coworkers, management, cutting corners, rude customers, many more
From my experience, Aroma is super chill environment to work at, especially for students. The one thing I've ever had a problem with are the customers who are quite rude at times but I guess that's customer service for you! Management is amazing and super accommodating.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Rude customers
Management was fine, manager can be accommodating if you speak to them. Colleagues made work a better place. Can get very hectic due to all Jewish customers but usually there is enough staff.
Pros
Enough hours made and lunch provided since you cannot bring outside non-kosher food inside
Cons
No outside food