Archdiocese of Toronto Employee Reviews

Average
Clergy (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
The people are great but the salary is terrible. Does NOT keep up with inflation and does NOT reward for service rendered. There is NO appropriate connection in regards to salary issues. The HR refers you to the CEO who refers you back to clergy personnel.
Nice, quite environment.
Donations Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2018
Processed donations, prepared monthly reports for parishes using Raiser's Edge.
I learned a great deal about the catholic religion and Raiser's Edge.
Most everyone working there was catholic and I felt like an outsider.
The hardest part of the job was watching people with a higher pay do less work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working quietly as my desk and performing above the norm.
Pros
Birthday Cakes on everyone's birthday and baked goods at Christmas
Cons
Everyone had to end up doing the job the designated "person" was supposed to do due to laziness, incompetence or entitlement.
Professional yet relaxed work environment
Mail Room assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2016
Very professional, diverse work place that has a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. Staff is upbeat, positive and always willing to lend a helping hand. Different departments vary as each has their own unique job. Many positives, including being easily TTC accessible.
A super place to work where I had autonomy, great benefits, and flexibility.
Secretary/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON, Canada11 March 2013
I was the supervisor/secretary/bookkeeper/human resources/technical support representative in the busy church office. I worked for the senior and associate priests, supervised a secretary/receptionist and several volunteers and support workers.

Each day I interacted with my co-workers, parishioners, service providers, members of the Archdiocese, and members of the public. I prepared salaries for the priests, the office staff, the support staff, and members of the various church groups; prepared the bulletin for weekly Mass; prepared several financial reports to the Archdiocese and the Church; prepared checks to service providers; prepared deposits for the banks; prepared reports to the government, among other functions.

Because I had transitioned from being a manager in telecommunications for several years to a job in administration, the process was seamless in many ways. However, I was trusted to take care of thousands of dollars in church collection which I had never done before. I also learned the bookkeeping and check preparation part of the job in manual form and with minimal training, but later I upgraded to an electronic accounting database.

I thoroughly enjoyed the job. My least favourite part of the job entailed taking minutes of very long meetings.

Even though I worked as part of a team, I was solely responsible for the day-to-day operations of the office.
Pros
4.5 workdays for two months during the summer; 7 hour workdays the rest of the year.
Cons
because it was a church office there was no opportunity for advancement.