ArcelorMittal Employee Reviews

Busy environment
Crane Operator/Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 May 2017
Working at Dofasco is a pretty fast paced environment, not a bad place to work if you are single, however if you are married with kids like myself you will find that your not home as much as you'd like to be. The divorce rate there is extremely high due to the hours you are forced to work. They pay you very well for this reason however its not a place for everyone, you stress a lot here with so many people on contract and competing to land a full time position. During my time here I have only witnessed one actual person get hired on, they rest were shown the door upon the end of their contract.
Pros
Money
Cons
Hours, Contract, working conditions
Wireline Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 May 2017
Steady work always moving. supervisors are good you do your job an they leave you alone an there very helpful if you need them. people are great to work with. lots of different areas to advance to.
Progressive company
Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 May 2017
ArcelorMittal offers many good training opportunities and career mobility. The organization is well staffed and it boasts a good work/life balance and good bonus programs.
A exciting work place.
Roll Grinder, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 April 2017
I learned a lot from this job not just work skills but life skills. I learned how to work closely with a team and excel in a high paced environment. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job was learning new skills, from going to mohawk and working In the shop ive learned a lot about myself.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
long hours, shift work
Millwright current employee
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 March 2017
A typical day would be get on the CTS bus and go to a shutdown to do preventative maintenance, easy boring hot and dirty work dished out by maintenance planners that don't have any idea how to plan jobs . A once proud Canadian company is just another steel mill in the Arcelor Chain. Could really use a union as the company has cut benifits and not up the pay in a few years to match the cost of living . Used to have one of the best pensions in Canada for manufacturing not anymore . Can't wait to retire!
Pros
Half decent pay
Cons
Long hours, hot, dirty unhealthy work environment
Okay Place, It is just a job, don'expect any kind of fulfillment
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 March 2017
Not a bad place to work if you want strict boundaries between work and home life

People generally don't get fired - job stability

Don't excel at your job if you want different work assignments - you will be stuck doing the same job forever and ever

Unprofessional co-workers are tolerated - Management has the approach - if you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away

Autocratic policies, too lazy and/or fearful to rock any boats and take appropriate business risks
Pros
Job protection
Cons
Career stagnation
Productive and fun Job
help operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 March 2017
I like the job and my coworker. I had a really great time there and I learn a lot from the years I've been there. A working day was 12 hours and it was really hot.
High paced environment, great if you like to constantly be challenged
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 January 2017
Employees are very happy working here. Lots of communication between management and staff. On site activities that encouraged being physically active when you sit at a desk all day.
Co-workers are friends and willing to help new employees.
Pros
Onsite physical activity programs, sport centre, great salary
Good Experience
Research & Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON29 December 2016
This was a good experience at the time. The people were great to work with but salary was low. The plant closed a number of years ago due to technology advancements.
Secure Workplace & Great People
Scheduling & Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 December 2016
Typical day at work is fun with cooperative co-workers. Hardest part of the job is selling an idea that could improve things.

most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers ability to find fun even in tough situations
Pros
Job Security, Profit Sharing, Team Work
Cons
Outdated Processes, Poor reception to new ideas
Not a Good Place to Work
Research & Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON22 December 2016
Industry was way to rocky during the recession and management made some poor decisions to get rid of business that could have helped the company maintain some profitability.
Great work enviorment
coke oven repair (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 December 2016
Love working with my crew great company I have a 2 year contract currently in my second year I have until October. every one at Dofasco shows respect to their employees I wish I could work here my whole life.
Fun workplace
Operator (Temporary Contract) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 December 2016
Not bad. Always something to do and always work available even during down time. Everyone worked well together. Would recommend all my friends to apply there
Pros
Team environment
Cons
Enjoyable part of the job
Summer Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 December 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was the never-ending learning experience at the job site. Each day would be a different day and always something new to learn
Worked with a great group of people
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 November 2016
Great place to work if you're not looking for long term employment. Co workers were a great group of guys and work is very doable. I enjoyed my time here.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Weather
great family atmosphere at this company from Canada Day celebrations to the christmas party
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 October 2016
Spent most of my adult life at Dofasco started right out of high school treated me like family from the get go great training in all jobs from team member to team leader.Made lots of friends that I keot in my life after retirement,benefits and profit sharing were one of the reasons i applied at dofasco in 1977 and made it possible for me to retire in 2011.
Pros
team atmosphere friends i made and keep in my life
Cons
did not always agree with management on some things but always did my job as required
Warehouse specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2016
Driving a staker crane is the best job I have ever had its like driving a roller coaster. The team building is second to none.
Excellent working conditions
Computer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 October 2016
Safety and team work are the two strong aspects of working for this company. They give you all the tools required for the job and give positive feedback on well performed tasks. Management is always positive and supportive of projects and accomplishments.
Pros
pays well
Good Place
Crane operator/Lab Operations (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 August 2016
Good place to work, long hours though. Found that working 12 hour shifts was hard when you lived quite a ways away, driving time, through rush hour traffic.
Not a enjoyable place to work.
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 August 2016
Work conditions very poor. Very dirty and dangerous work area, Fellow co-workers very helpful. Management do not help to make the job better. I have learned that there are better places to work and they pay better as well. Night shifts you are all alone and they are poor work conditions.
Pros
I get a pay cheque.
Cons
Poor work conditions.