Arbor Memorial

Arbor Memorial Employee Reviews

Canada63 reviews
Great Staff. Ok atmosphere.
Very nice place to work with caring staff. You have to have thick skin but everyone there is understanding. I enjoyed my time with this company. The job office was a bit smaller in size but the girls that I worked with made it fun. There is a uniform you have to wear which can be uncomfortable and itchy. You can't have creative hair or makeup. It can be sad at times but overall everyone's spirits are high to cheer everyone on through the day with cute music and fun stories.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Small office no windows. No fun hair, tattoos, piercings etc.
Terrible greedy company
Arbor does not pay a salary you are on 100% commission. If you do not make a sale within a week they will pay you minimum wage, however you now owe them that back and it comes off your next commission pay. Unless you are willing to lie to grieving families and steal leads from other co-workers you will not survive here.
Casual job, great flexibility
A typical day could include assisting at another location, driving families to the church, cemetery and where else you are instructed from the Funeral Director.

Helping to maintain the company vehicles is required - washing, interior detailing, fuelling, taking to local garage for service/maintenance.

It is a very good opportunity to learn how to better deal with unique and stressful situations, learn about other cultures, how they celebrate their deceased.
At the interview they ask you if you have saving
Because they want you too work for free. for a while...you have too work all day make call at night on the week end. work week end night with no paid...no leads, no paid, if you make commission they paid them self back on the 300 dollars a week they loan you...unreal.
Cons
no life no money and you have too paid for your uniform
Pay raise when min wage went up should have been considered and applied. Other than that every employee is great! Customers are generally easy to deal with considering their hardships :-(
Great company to work for
I worked for Arbor from 1987 to 2008. During that time the company was more than fair with salary, benefits, vacation, employee satisfaction, events (i.e. Christmas party, UW Campaign)...Not sure what it is like currently, but it is a for-profit company, and you are expected to be on time, do your work and be professional at all times. I would recommend it to anyone. Management at the time probably could have been better, but we are all learning as we go.
It's Not Worth It
First, I'll tell you that what they say during the interview is true: you can earn lots of money. If you're ready to deal with working super long weeks, phoning hundreds of people, and managers who care more about their own numbers than you learning, then this job is great. If you can shrug off the stuff and are an amazing salesperson, then this job would be great.

But if you're like me, enjoy the occasional weeknight to yourself, enjoy having weekends, and want to get paid for your time even when you don't get sales, then this job is not for you. They use a recoverable draw, so if you have a couple weeks without sales, then that draw eats up any commission you do make. And, while they tell you how terrible it is to start doing sales, they won't let that stop them from yelling at you for not making enough sales.

There's a super high turnover of people in their first year, and I can see why. It's a lot of work and the management gives a surprising little amount of thanks.
Pros
Money can be good.
Cons
Work environment is terrible.
It was difficult to make sales with all the pressure on numbers from managers. And working for free sucked
Not an easy job by any means. I had a few issues with the managers. They do care for their customers very much. I just wish the employees where treated the same
Fantastic place to work.
Arbor Memorial is an amazing place to work. I have been there official for 2 years now and love my job. It is a very proper place to work but I can tell you that they take care of their employees.
Dysfunctional at best
Prepare for gossip, backstabbing, two-faced, inconsistent days. Poor management. Not best managed company they paid off somebody to put up those stickers! There’s favoritism, incompetent managers who get admins to run their locations, narcissistic managers who talk about only themselves, office administrators who suffer from constant repression, sales reps who are repeatedly ridiculed for not making sales quotas, funeral directors who are told they’re the worst, and the list goes on.
Cons
Long hours, no overtime pay. Unreasonable expectations. Nepotism. Favoritism, poor management training
Start running & keep running from this Company
Can be lucrative for those who are self motivated & creative. Former top producing employee with over a decade at the Scarborough branch.

Zero leads, zero mail drops, zero support. Minimum wage forced upon the company as a result of a former employee complaint to the Labor Board. However, as soon as you make a sale, you have to pay back your minimum wage from your commission. Claw backs for every cancellation no matter how old the sale so, you have to be quite adept to cope with disappearing pay!

Manager at Scarborough branch is dishonest, deceitful and wouldn't know the meaning of "integrity" if you hit him over the head with it!

Watch out for what you enter in CRM because the Manager steals your appointments and re-routes them to other reps.

New reps are afraid to ask for the Manager's help because he ridicules and belittles them.

The fish is his pond get more attention than his reps.
Pros
Can be lucrative
Cons
More than I have time to type
Good Work life balance
Excellent company to work for when starting your career.
Family environment within the company.

Work life balance is excellent.

Good company to work for overall.
Fun loving workplace
Very helping and quite. suit and tie positions. Sales & people skills are a must to succeed. Arbor specilizes in helping families choose the best options for a final resting place.
Agressive sales culture with high expectations
This is a high paying commission based sales position. It is a difficult industry, and there is a high turnover of trainees. Once you get through your first year, there is less turnover.
You are expected to be "warm" calling families everyday, minimum of 25 per day, and expected to have a minimum of 10 appointments per week. You also have specific targets for various types of sales including new customers, and funeral insurance products. Hugely focused on CRM stats, which is used as a micromanagement tool, and given as reason for various disciplinary actions.

You are only as secure as your previous quarters sales. Very competitive environment.
Pros
high wage possibilities
Cons
extremely agressive environment
worst job i ever had
Corrupt sleazy and soul sucking.
I wanted to help the family but was always punished for putting there needs first . Goal only to lie and cheat and force families to spend as much money as possible.

Can't believe this company is allowed to operate at all!!

Management all white old school salesman who treated women like meat.

Wish I could give zero stars
Pros
worked 65 hrs per week but had good income for my efforts
Cons
commission/ horrible unethical company
Was a very well run company
Great place to work. Very well run and great people at sands. Had to leave for personal reason but would go back. Very good work environment. Helpful and training is proactive. Have to be comfortable dealing with grief.
Pros
The people
Cons
Death
My manager and coworkers make this a great work environment
an emotionally challenging job, with many expectations including being on-call. event planning to decedent care, cosmetics, working with other service providers including florists and caterers. Despite it's challenges, my manager and coworkers make this specific location a great work environment.
Pros
free lunches, community involvement events
Cons
on-call without pay, no benefits after retirement, low salary with not much room for advancement or raises
Like anything, you get what you put in. Wonderful lifestyle with a very good living.
This is not a job or a career. It is a lifestyle. I can talk to anyone who I meet at anytime, tell them I help families with final planning by providing them with a free planning kit. I can usually book appointments by offering the kit. Kit includes Will, POA, Estate Planner and Executor's handbook. Great training but you must follow the steps they give you. It is a lot of work however the rewards are very good. Can be difficult finding the right families, the commission is generous enough that you don't need to have 5 sales a week to make good money. They trained on asking for referrals. The people who say they did not make enough money or this is a toxic environment are toxic themselves and do not know the meaning of hard work and perseverance.
Pros
Managers always there to answer questions
Cons
Keep negative people too long. Fire them.
Best ever
I would just like to say this is the best company and sales culture that I have ever worked for.

I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to help families with their cemetery and now funeral preplanning. I LOVE helping families.
set up for failure
There is basically no interview. They sit you down and tell you how rich you are going to be and how you can make your own hours. They never once asked me a single question about myself.

They also fail to tell you that if a family cancels their deal within a year of making it, you must pay back your commission. It doesn't sit well with me knowing I work for a company that takes thousands of dollars out of their employees pockets.

Management is not good. They do not treat staff nicely, only the ones that have been there for years.

New people get no leads and are expected to find their own.

Lack of proper training, they send you out on your own and when you fail to sell they get mad but do not help you.

You are only allowed to claim 35 hours on your timesheet per week but they force you to stay in the office for at least 50-60 hours a week.

They teach you to up sell to grieving families.

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

THE REPORT THAT CBC MARKETPLACE DID ON THIS COMPANY IS VERY ACCURATE!
Pros
free lunches once a week
Cons
no money, long hours, poor treatment
Poorly run establishment. No leadership.
50 60 hrs weekly they expect you to work. Commission only...... Poor leads best leads are for management and then favorites..3 workers quit same time. Worked in cold basement.... No fire escape if fire. Very poor money
Pros
Free spin
Cons
Poor employee motivation and moral.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arbor Memorial. Our community is ready to answer.