ApplyBoard

ApplyBoard Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
I have really enjoyed working for ApplyBoard. The work we do is rewarding, as we get to interact with students and agents to work towards making education accessible for everyone. And my colleagues are passionate about this as well, which is motivating. Management is excellent. They care about you and want to see you succeed. My direct boss is very personable and encourages us to be innovative and use our unique abilities to contribute to the overall company. This is generally encouraged at ApplyBoard-- to be innovative and see what needs are not already being met.

The company culture is positive and motivating.

The work can be monotonous as times, but the motivation behind it keeps us going. You can often see the direct impact of your work which is encouraging.

There seem to be lots of opportunities to move up in the company, and to be supported in creating a new position if it fits within the company vision and mission and needs at the moment.

The wage is fair, and so are the benefits.
Pros
Free company lunches, flexibility in hours, inclusive and welcome culture, diverse coworkers, fun atmosphere, passionate about mission and vision, rewarding work
Cons
Overtime encouraged during busy seasons, can feel stressful as we are growing but still hiring more people accomplish workload
Management has no respect for your profession; your work is open to critique by unqualified peers, which muddies creative work and causes self-doubt.

Management argues openly in front employees in other languages. Bullies fellow team members (like "oh that's less cra**y than last time", screamed at a co-worker that she can never post on social media again because he thought a previous social post was "too unprofessional" even though it drove more engagement than any recent post). creates cliques.

Marketing Manager, is extremely toxic and plays childish games. When she didn't "like my work" even though she gave no indication / real world examples of what she liked, other than passive-aggressiveness. Gave design feedback like "this is too heavy" aka a small flood of our brand colours. Won't elaborate on feedback as to what comments like "too heavy" means. Marketing manager will do shoddy design work herself and try to play designer without asking trained professionals for their feedback.

Marketing manager pulled me into a tiny, windowless "meeting room" with no warning. Accused me of being late every day, saying the co-founders also backed her up (they didn't, by the way) screaming in my face. She was frothing and red in the face. I've never in my professional career, even at McDonalds, been treated like such trash. She is unfit to work in a public company. I warned HR this would happen again – it did.

Shortly after I left, she fired an amazing co-worker / copywriter. This man gave everything to this company, was pumping out quality writing and content, had energy
 - more...
Pros
Lunch Wednesday
Cons
Long hours, little pay, demanding work load and managers.
Team works hard and has admirable goals.
But management doesn't trust or listen to their team, has no desire to fix issues that.come up until it's almost too late. High expectations without reward.
Pros
Fantastic people, energetic and enthusiastic
Cons
High stress, Management says they care but it has no substance, Will grind you down and keep pushing for more
They compare themselves to other tech companies in this area but if they want to be competitive with them they have to pay their hard working employees more. That’s not being entitled, that’s being fair. Pay is not competitive and when something big happens with the company which has happened quite a few times, the employees see no benefits from it at all. No bonus, no raise, no nothing. This makes employees feel under appreciated. There is also barely any room for growth.
At ApplyBoard, you are surrounded by extremely friendly, creative, hard-working people who genuinely care for your well-being. It is motivating to work with such an incredible group of people. Everyone wants to help you succeed. A lot of work to do, and longer than usual work hours, however, the workplace culture and ever-changing day-to-day makes up for the extra hours. Infinite room for professional development and growth. At the end of the day, you are doing meaningful work that will make you feel accomplished and good about yourself and your career. You won’t ever get bored here!
Pros
Free Wednesday lunches, unlimited snacks, relaxed work environment
Cons
It is a very friendly environment, we are not only co-workers but friends who care about each other. We have outing once in a while where everyone brings their family members to spend time with each other outside of work.
There is a lot of space to grow and they motivate you to speak up and to be creative. If you are looking for a job where you can challenge yourself, this is it. But if you are someone just tries to get a 9-5 job, maybe not.

Management is not the best, but they are trying hard and improving everyday. The company is still young so it is understandable.
Cons
Workload
This is a young, diverse, and motivating environment to work! The average age of employees is quite young (in the mid-20s), but they are mature and driven to achieve results! There is a positive and supportive company culture! People care about you and want to include you. The work is interesting and rewarding - we are making a difference in the lives of many people and the fabric of our country!
Pros
Lunches on Wednesdays and amazing company culture
Low pay, selfish bosses who do not care about their workers or helping them improve. Lots of unprofessionalism, speaking in different languages and openly arguing in front of all employees.

If you're looking for a career that challenges your thinking and teaches you new skills, this is not the place for you. Tedious repetitive tasks, no room for growth.

Do not recommend working here if you're looking to gain experience or want to grow professionally.
As mentioned in other reviews, this company is not just doing good but reaching great heights.

Everyone is very friendly. They make sure to understand your work pattern and give you enough space to perform your task.
I love working here, average age of the employees is early 20s and they all are focused to achieve good for the company. My team specially has diversified background people with different skill set. We are flexible with our working hours and the company cares for the hard work anyone put in. It is easy to meet with the CEO directly and he is very friendly and open minded person. On the same hand if you part of Sales, then you will be working with CMO who is also a very awesome person and supports you well.
Pros
Youngsters Team
The company is growing extremely fast and has amazing opportunities for everyone.

The people here are awesome and treat you like family.

I love this job more than anything right now the people treat each other like family we motivate each other we help each other and the money you make is what you make it.
Pros
Loveley & friendley team, Cozy place
ApplyBoard is a wonderful place to work where each person's job is recognized as an important piece of a whole. We are a growing team of dedicated, and friendly people working towards a great cause. The founders are very passionate about what they do and truly care about each of their employees. I am excited to continue learning and growing with this company. I am grateful to be a part of the ApplyBoard family!
Pros
Free Wednesday lunches, work environment, opportunities, health benefits
Everyone in the company love snacks. And the company's snack shelf is always loaded with goodies.

Everyone is friendly. Whatever you need to know to get your job done or get around the city, everyone will help you with that.

You're free to do your work on your hours. Get the job done and you're good.
Pros
Company provided lunch once a week, flexible hours, young environment
ApplyBoard is a creative space that gives me the opportunity to grow my professional skills and the freedom to cultivate new skills.

My responsibilities are not confined to my specific role. If anyone in the workplace has experience or a knack for something, our employers seek to use it in the most efficient way.

My fellow colleagues are always friendly and they make the office space inclusive, relaxed and enjoyable. Everyone is hard-working and pulls their weight.

At ApplyBoard I am encouraged to be the best version of myself, in and out of the workplace.
Everyone here is so friendly and open with each other, and I am constantly learning new things each day.
If I'm ever unsure about anything, there is always someone there to help.

There is no shortage of work to be done, and there may be times when extra hours are needed to complete tasks, but there is always a satisfaction that comes from knowing how much we are accomplishing.

We are a diverse group of people learning from each other; come join the ApplyBoard family!
ApplyBoard is a fantastic company to work with. There is an amazing team of individuals who are kind, respectful, and eager to learn and help. Everyone here is like family and looks out for one another.

We are constantly improving and problem solving is a huge part of our every day work. There are times of the year where we experience a very high volume of applications and we do work more hours than usual. But since the company is relatively young, it does leave tons of room for advancements if you are willing to learn and put in the work.

Overall, working here is great! There is support and lots of friendly people who will take the time to teach you exactly what you need to know.
Pros
Room for advancements, health benefits
Cons
vacation days
ApplyBoard is an excellent place to work, learn, and grow. The work can be challenging and there are many long days but the work atmosphere and the impact you are making is so worth it. Everyone at ApplyBoard is so friendly and are always able to help when you have questions. The management at ApplyBoard are all very approachable, knowledgeable, and dedicated making ApplyBoard truly one of the best places to work. ApplyBoard is growing fast and I am so happy to be a part of it.
Pros
Free Wednesday lunches, great work environment
Applyboard is a great place to work! The founders are young, helpful and supportive. They believe that in order for their company to strive, they require happy informed employees. They treat their employees like family, they share the excitement of success & they are always willing to listen to your ideas. This company is in a constant state of self-improvement and are always looking for ways the to make the company better now rather than later. I can honestly say that I am proud to be apart of the applyboard family!
Pros
Amazing team - Great management!
The environment is very friendly and causal. You are surrounded with smart, talented, and young co-workers that are always willing to help.
Since the growth is rapid, there is so much opportunity to contribute. And, the potential for growth within a company that cares for its employees make ApplyBoard a great tech startup place to work.

* always snacks and free lunch on Wednesdays.
Pros
Amazing culture and colleagues, talented people, tons of projects
Cons
Nothing much; you don't get bored at work
I was over the moon when I got the job. From interviews and previous contacts I knew that those were good people and people that I want to work with and learn from.

Which turns out to be exactly the case! The dev team is super nice, and they are a bunch of talented people. All of our inputs are valued and we teach each other new things. I'm learning cool tricks and growing everyday.

They also respect my interests and help me develop in that direction.

Also free lunch Wednesday.
Pros
We're happy. We're young. We're growing. We're talented.
When you come into work you do your own tasks but the management is here to support you if you need assistance. The hardest part of the job is that when it gets busy, it gets very busy and you need to be able to keep up with your tasks. ApplyBoard has a great culture, it is like a family. The most enjoyable part of coming into the office everyday is the people, everyone is so friendly!
Pros
Free lunch Wednesdays and the people.
Cons
Long hours and busy times.