Appletree Medical Group Employee Reviews

Horrible experience! Look elsewhere!!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 February 2019
I should’ve listened to the reviews. Every single word people write is correct. I’m so surprised that in a place like Canada, work environments like this is acceptable? It’s honeslty inhumane. You work crazy random hours (one day you could be working 10 hours and the next day you’re working 4). You really don’t get lunch breaks unless another MA is there to cover you (and usually they’re too stressed out with their own doctor and workload). You literally work 4-5 jobs, from scrubbing toilets to giving injections, faxing, cleaning, taking hearing and breathing tests. They want you to be everywhere at once... Most doctors are crazy and treat you like a slave, like you’re not even human (the amount of times I broke down crying while working here). They do not train you well for the job. Everyone you work with is extremely unhappy, the “team lead” could be someone your age and inexperienced on a power trip. I have PTSD from my experience here. Honestly, you can get medical experience in a better place, if you look hard enough! Please stay away, I don’t want anyone else going what I went through...
Little pay, lots of responsibilities
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON, CAN11 January 2019
For the amount of work we had to do, we were paid very little. We were trained to give injections and triage patients (a little like nurses), but were paid minimum wage. Would not work there for more than a year.
entry level experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2018
This position will exhaust you to your limits. So much to do in one work day, however the experience may be worth it (?) Questionable, if you ask me. Stick it out for as long as you can to build up your resume, but if the opportunity comes, get out of there asap.

You clean/scrub public toilets, vacuum, sweep, mop, do a ton of administrative tasks...but you're listed as a "medical assistant" when that's probably the least that you're doing. Triaging patients takes like max 2 mins/person. The cleaning routine and opening/closing routine can take up to an hour every shift.

Expect to have unsteady hours, though you're fulltime, and expect to stay later than when scheduled due to the busyness of the clinic and all the duties that need to be done.
Pros
doctors are nice, staff are great, good clinical experience
Cons
everything else.
Good opportunity for IMGs
Telemedicine Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2018
Good opportunity for IMGs to gain clinical experience and clinical knowledge. Good opportunity to network with Canadian physicians. Very flexible hours. Unfortunately, the pay is very low.
Terrible place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa11 June 2018
Toxic work environment. The company is completely profit drive, they do not care about their employees in the slightest. I’m surprised they have not been on the news for workplace abuse and harassment from management and doctors. HR is completely useless and does not have any processes for filing complaints. They pay recent grads and qualified workers from other countries minimum wage to triage patients, take care of clinic admin, clean the clinic (including be toilets, floors, exam rooms etc.) act as a receptionist, and a nurse. Little to say workers are extremely stressed and heavily under compensated. There is no reason to work for this company. You’d make more money working at a restaurant while looking for a legitimate job in your field. It is NOT worth it. NEVER WORK HERE, let alone go here for health care.
Terrible
MEDICAL ASSISTANT/RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 May 2018
Appletree did not value their employees at all. There was never any support from the company and head office. MAs and Team Leaders would be overworked and underpaid. The respect was never there.
Only good thing is some of the doctors
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2018
Management literally couldn't care less about you as a medical assistant, HR is not on your side. Not worth the abuse+under payment from this company.
Pros
Building relationship with great doctors
Cons
Long hours, unsteady schedules, drs cancelling all the time, cold and unfriendly management, low pay, expected to fill all available shifts, no room for growth, crazy patients, poor work-life balance
expect way to much for minimum salary
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2018
Through my years the responsibilities increased without advancement or pay increase. They offer minimal performance bonuses based on additional training for programs they run.
Appletree
Medical Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2017
This job has provided me with good working experience after my undergraduate studies. I feel like I have gained knowledge and experience that I am able to use in my future careers.
horrible work environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2017
extremely stressful, disrespectful management. Doctors are really horrible, don't spend any time with patients and it's just a money grabbing business to only benefit the management, not anyone else.
Pros
Cons
horrible environment
I enjoyed my experience with Appletree Medical Group
Medical transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON20 September 2017
After applying for a clinic assistant, I was offered the position of medical transcriptionist. Although I did not have experience or training in this field, the Manager suggested I slowly learn the position with the help of other transcritptionists in the office. The staff were extremely helpful and I learned the position in minimal time. Within 3 months, I was transcribing doctor notes at 80 medical terms per minute accurately and efficiently for GP's, OBGYN, internal med., ENT, and sports medicine. I enjoyed this work tremendously however; due to changes in my family, it was no longer suitable for my situation. The office space provided for this position could have been more favorable.
Work at another clinic for experience in health care/admin, not Appletree
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 July 2017
The only good thing about this place is the decent experience you can put on your resume. Other than that they expect you to do everything under the sun , fulfill doctor requests, deal with patients at reception, keep exam rooms full, fix IT issues, restocking etc. all while being paid minimum wage. The doctors are great and really nice, its the management that is the issue. They are rude and expect everyone to be perfect robots 100% of the time, and will not tell you you are doing something wrong until weeks/months after the fact. I think this would be a better place to work if they treated their staff more respectfully and without the "everybody is replaceable" mentality. The only way you could advance here is if you become a "Team Leader" in which you basically become a senior glorified MA with an ~$2 raise. Other than that there's no room to grow. They really only care about the money, yet can't even pay staff a decent wage, and does not really care about the patients, but rather make the doctors happy. I would not recommend this job to anyone, you could get the same experience at any other clinic and work in a better environment and get paid a fair wage.
worst place to work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 July 2017
management sucks they don't care about their employees. they make you do three jobs at once, housekeeping, reception, and triage. the pay is garbage...
Great team work and easy accessable manager and supervisor
Consult & Doctor Referrals Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 July 2017
It has been a pleasure to work with Appletree Medical Group as I have learned allot and it added up so much into my work experience particularly in Medical field.
I have learned a great amount of medical terminology, work ethic timely fashioned priorities and team work.
I have learned a great way of management specially time management skill and prioritizing task and managing to complete work on time and be supper productive.
The work place culture is great at AMG as they treat each and everyone equal in a positive way and promote and advance individual based on their abilities and outcomes. It is in general very positive growing environment.
The hardest part of my job is lack of proper training for weaker people.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the great helpful team work environment.
In general appreciate this company and have learned enormous amount of work experience and multi tasking.
Pros
fexilble shifts and hours
Cons
No benefits or sick day pay
Great Experience for an entry-level job!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 April 2017
Great Experience for an entry-level job! People are friendly. However, they do not pay you for the services that you provide. They want you to sell medical services, however they do not train in with information about the services that they want you to sell/
Overworked and unpaid
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2017
If you are looking for a great life work balance look elsewhere. You will gain lots of knowledge, but there is a high turn over rate, and most of the individuals are not happy
Lots of work with very little pay
Team Leader/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2016
It was a great place to learn. I definitely learned a lot from my time at Appletree. I started as a Medical Assistant and eventually became a Team Leader. I suggest working at the job for year to gain the experience and then find a job which will pay you way more for less work. It can be extremely busy with very rude patients. The doctors can also be extremely demanding and sometimes downright mean. There were a select few doctors who were wonderful and very appreciative of our work but this is rarely the case. Management doesn't care about the staff and will try to get you to work as much as possible without actually paying a decent wage. Essentially, treat this job as a learning experience for awhile and then leave.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
They do not value or respect Medical Assistants
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 July 2016
Appletree is a horrible place to work at, the management does not respect or value you at all. There is really no one to help you when working here as an MA, they don't ever have your side (as they say). Any concerns you have quickly get disregarded from head office, HR and Director of Operations. They pay minimum wage when the average medical assistant job is $18-$20 dollars. Don't be fooled by their 'bonuses', you don't make that much. They are cheap and turn healthcare into a corrupted business by charging extra to patients and making them pay more when they don't need too. They won't pay for a receptionist so you are stuck triaging and doing the reception. The clinics are dirty and are not kept clean and should be cleaned professionally. The CEO is horrible and does not value his employees and is all about making money. There is no room for growth and I highly recommend going elsewhere unless you want experience for med school. As well, the whole system makes patients frustrated and you don't have the time to really help and be there for patients, job satisfaction is not there. They make you work extra hours, not flexible and does whatever they can to stop you for getting over-time even when deserved. So if you do decide to work here, remember you can say NO to some shifts!
Pros
Some doctors and staff are amazing to work with, experience
Cons
Appletree itself
Good medical experience, but no room for growth
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2016
You get paid minimum wage for working as a nurse, receptionist, and housekeeping all at once. Without a guaranteed break. You also receive terrible treatment from some management (after the resignation of a few of them one after another, management has not been the same), some doctors, and patients. It is life sucking because of the negative company morale. You can be promoted to Team Leader (which is basically a "sugar coated" name for "Senior Medical Assistant). You get paid a couple $ more than an MA but you deal with a lot more things, stress level is extremely high and you are expected to be ON CALL at ALL times even weekends (especially if the clinic you are leading is open). You cannot support a family or a comfortable future while working here because of the constant changing hours or last minute cancellations. You are not guaranteed 40 hours/week unless you are willing to travel to different clinics around the GTA IF there are any shifts available.
Pros
Good learning experience on the medical side, work with nice doctors
Cons
some doctors are rude, no room for growth, No work/life balance.
Worst company
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2016
Good experience working with doctors. A handful of them actually treat you like a human.

Bad pay, management, lifestyle. No sick days. Corrupted company.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Everything else