Appletree Medical Group

Appletree Medical Group Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
This was by far the worst place I have ever worked. I don't even know where to start...
First of all, you are essentially the doctor's problem fixer...for absolutely everything. My duties have ranges from unclogging toilets, to fixing internet connection issues to fixing printers..the list goes on and on. You are doing this all the while you are expected to triage the patients and also be a receptionist. Take into account, you are doing this for MINIMUM WAGE. You can easily find another job that pays you a couple dollars more at a local clinic or even at a hospital. You are working by yourself with the doctor most times, especially in the GTA locations and the only way you can look to others for help is through a WhatsApp group chat, in which you may not even get a response right away. You have no job security here and no certainty for the amount of hours you can get in a work week. In addition to this, if the doctor doesn't want to work one day and they decide super last minute, your shift can be cancelled the day of, or even a couple hours before. It's as if you're 'on-call' the entire time because shifts are not necessarily guaranteed. If working in the GTA locations, I would highly advise not to as well, because you will eventually have to work with the doctor who mainly works at the Grange. He is by far the worst individual to work with. He will yell at you (quite actually raise his voice), be extremely unprofessional towards you, and make you deal with the patients he refuses to see immediately while he plays candy crush in his office (sounds funny now but wait until
 - more...
Pros
nice medical assistants
Cons
long hours, uncertain hours, rude doctors, lack of job security, underpaid
Working as a central booking representative for a group of medical clinics is essentially you and your team working as a central medical receptionist.

This meant that you would deal with patients every day, all day however they would typically not have the courtesy they might usually have if they were speaking to you in person. A generally high stress job, not due to the work, but due to the abuse you receive from callers on a regular basis. That is nothing special but just a disclaimer for any call center employee.

The work itself was easy enough but you were always busy and often behind.

Unfortunately the team was a bit inconsistent. Often times resources would be spread too thin and the pay was quite low so many employees tended to care little about the job. The manager had a dual role, so they had a completely separate job they had to do on top of managing the call center.

This is not condemnation of the individual people but of the top-down how things were run. The team being overworked and underpaid.
Good experience and gained many new skills. The doctor was very kind and always looked out for the medical assistants and staff. Good place to work if you want to get an experience in the medical field.
Work load is not justified by pay/benefits. Very little room for advancement. Company keeps cutting hours and costs. Some opportunity to advance but pay is still very low.
I was desperate for a job within my field and settled for this job. I worked at the Beaches location. The posting for the Medical Assistant at this location is EXTREMELY misleading. It is a franchised location so not as strict as the corporate locations. However, the HR manager uses the job posting under Athletes Care when posting for Medical Assistant at this Appletree location. The job posting fails to mention that this is more of a hands on job or you will be coming into contact with bodily fluids. You don't find this out until your interview. This is basically an underpaid nurse job, as you will be triaging patients and setting them ready before they see the doctor. You will be injection trained, which is supposed to happen after your 3 month probation period. Their bonus structure is total BS. You don't get paid for giving injections unless it's the flu shot, which is 50 cents a shot. Physicals are $2 a patient or $3 if it's a third party. On top of that, the contract will state that this is a full-time job but the doctor constantly has frequent closures. Some weeks you'll get 40 hrs, some weeks 20 hrs. Unless you are looking to study medicine, or wanting to become a nurse, this is probably the perfect job. The doctor I worked for was rather nice but the patient demographic, being over worked and put in extremely stressful situations ran me for minimum wage, ran me dry on this job. Towards the end, it became a toxic work environment as the OM went on a bit of a power trip. Glad I left. Good Riddance.
I spent six unhappy months as a Telemedicine assistant and I'd like to warn other aspiring IMGs as well as hopeful medical assistants about the toxic culture at this company from the top down. The only decent folks were the fellow workers.

I had been about two weeks from having my benefits kick in. Full disclosure, I had started a WhatsApp group trying to organize fellow workers to unionize. Management caught wind of it and terminated me 'without cause'. Six months of loyal work. I had never been late. I had received a rating saying I was performing better than seventy percent of other workers at my three month evaluation. And then because I felt the workers and I deserved better, they dismissed me without batting an eye. No warning. No discussion. Nothing g.

This organization is as incompetent as it is oppressive. . You get underpaid, overworked, undertraimed, and used as a dispensable functionary unit. Nothing more. Steer clear
I would only recommend this job if you want clinical experience and aren't concerned about the pay. You learn a lot but are underpaid for the work you do. Hours are not guaranteed and you can have long shifts (10-11 hours) sometimes. If you are looking for a stable job I would suggest looking elsewhere. The one star is for the other medical assistants that made work more fun.
Please only consider this position (Medical Assistant) If your looking for experience in the health care sector field and nothing else. You are expected to perform a wide range of duties for very little pay. You are essentially an underpaid nurse. Would not recommend.
Pros
Gain some experience in health field
Cons
Everything else
Huge employee turnover. It's a spiders web you get sucked into. Its ok if you are looking to start a career in Health Care but do not stay here too long. Not the best management nor any organizational culture.
I was desperate for experience in this field and it wasn't even worth it. For the short time I was there, I was stressed to the point of tears almost everyday. I was run ragged by almost every doctor there and yelled at by patients for things I had no control over. I was given VERY little training for the job itself and even less training for injections. Honestly, injections takes more than one quick practice session and self study before being cleared to work with needles. There's very little support and not enough staffing to keep up with the workload. The other assistants were really nice, but everyone was tired and stressed. They pay you peanuts to be basically a nurse and a receptionist. You're given half an hour to close the clinics, including: the paperwork, billings, faxes, and deep cleaning the exam rooms. There is very little benefit to working here and I would try your luck elsewhere. Anywhere but here is good.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Appletree Medical Group?
I should’ve listened to the reviews. Every single word people write is correct. I’m so surprised that in a place like Canada, work environments like this is acceptable? It’s honeslty inhumane. You work crazy random hours (one day you could be working 10 hours and the next day you’re working 4). You really don’t get lunch breaks unless another MA is there to cover you (and usually they’re too stressed out with their own doctor and workload). You literally work 4-5 jobs, from scrubbing toilets to giving injections, faxing, cleaning, taking hearing and breathing tests. They want you to be everywhere at once... Most doctors are crazy and treat you like a slave, like you’re not even human (the amount of times I broke down crying while working here). They do not train you well for the job. Everyone you work with is extremely unhappy, the “team lead” could be someone your age and inexperienced on a power trip. I have PTSD from my experience here. Honestly, you can get medical experience in a better place, if you look hard enough! Please stay away, I don’t want anyone else going what I went through...
For the amount of work we had to do, we were paid very little. We were trained to give injections and triage patients (a little like nurses), but were paid minimum wage. Would not work there for more than a year.
This position will exhaust you to your limits. So much to do in one work day, however the experience may be worth it (?) Questionable, if you ask me. Stick it out for as long as you can to build up your resume, but if the opportunity comes, get out of there asap.

You clean/scrub public toilets, vacuum, sweep, mop, do a ton of administrative tasks...but you're listed as a "medical assistant" when that's probably the least that you're doing. Triaging patients takes like max 2 mins/person. The cleaning routine and opening/closing routine can take up to an hour every shift.

Expect to have unsteady hours, though you're fulltime, and expect to stay later than when scheduled due to the busyness of the clinic and all the duties that need to be done.
Pros
doctors are nice, staff are great, good clinical experience
Cons
everything else.
Good opportunity for IMGs to gain clinical experience and clinical knowledge. Good opportunity to network with Canadian physicians. Very flexible hours. Unfortunately, the pay is very low.
Toxic work environment. The company is completely profit drive, they do not care about their employees in the slightest. I’m surprised they have not been on the news for workplace abuse and harassment from management and doctors. HR is completely useless and does not have any processes for filing complaints. They pay recent grads and qualified workers from other countries minimum wage to triage patients, take care of clinic admin, clean the clinic (including be toilets, floors, exam rooms etc.) act as a receptionist, and a nurse. Little to say workers are extremely stressed and heavily under compensated. There is no reason to work for this company. You’d make more money working at a restaurant while looking for a legitimate job in your field. It is NOT worth it. NEVER WORK HERE, let alone go here for health care.
Appletree did not value their employees at all. There was never any support from the company and head office. MAs and Team Leaders would be overworked and underpaid. The respect was never there.
Management literally couldn't care less about you as a medical assistant, HR is not on your side. Not worth the abuse+under payment from this company.
Pros
Building relationship with great doctors
Cons
Long hours, unsteady schedules, drs cancelling all the time, cold and unfriendly management, low pay, expected to fill all available shifts, no room for growth, crazy patients, poor work-life balance
Through my years the responsibilities increased without advancement or pay increase. They offer minimal performance bonuses based on additional training for programs they run.
This job has provided me with good working experience after my undergraduate studies. I feel like I have gained knowledge and experience that I am able to use in my future careers.
extremely stressful, disrespectful management. Doctors are really horrible, don't spend any time with patients and it's just a money grabbing business to only benefit the management, not anyone else.
Pros
Cons
horrible environment
After applying for a clinic assistant, I was offered the position of medical transcriptionist. Although I did not have experience or training in this field, the Manager suggested I slowly learn the position with the help of other transcritptionists in the office. The staff were extremely helpful and I learned the position in minimal time. Within 3 months, I was transcribing doctor notes at 80 medical terms per minute accurately and efficiently for GP's, OBGYN, internal med., ENT, and sports medicine. I enjoyed this work tremendously however; due to changes in my family, it was no longer suitable for my situation. The office space provided for this position could have been more favorable.