Appen Employee Reviews

Horario flexible y cero estabilidad
Especialista de idiomas (Current Employee) –  Madrid17 April 2018
Si buscas una empresa en la que puedas hacer un par de trabajos al mes, y sacarte un dinero EXTRA para complementar otro, esta empresa está muy bien.
Si buscas progresar dentro de la empresa y ascender, en un puesto de trabajo estable, este no es tu sitio.
Fun workplace
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Sao Paulo4 April 2018
You have to spend a lot of time working hard to make some money. Acctually, they say they pay hourly but that´s not true. They pay for your production time.
Pros
No one
Cons
No one
Decent job for what you're doing
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Home28 March 2018
This is a decent means of making some extra cash. The work is redundant and, quite honestly, boring. However, the pay is better than minimum wage and you get to work from home, which is wonderful. Only complaint is subjectivity of feedback and vagueness related to making decisions during your work. Additionally, some agreements only allow a certain amount of hours a day, which is limiting and makes scheduling difficult when you have other responsibilities.
Pros
Great pay for position, work from home
Cons
Boring work, lack of helpful feedback, limitations on hours
Relaxed , easy work
Social Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA23 March 2018
Working contractually at Appen is an easy side job for someone who wants to work from home, the pay is not something you can make a living off of though.
Pros
work from home, free hours
Not a bad side gig
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Work at Home23 March 2018
The social media evaluation is a pretty easy way of earning a little extra income as long as you remember to follow the guidelines. I wish there were more hours available to work. Their platform tends to have regular errors, but they're very understanding as long as you report them as soon as possible.
Pros
Work from home, flexible work, pays on time
Cons
Not enough hours, glitchy platform
Good Side Job
Social Media Evaluator (Independent Contractor) (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJ22 March 2018
Tedious work done daily that doesn't take much time to do overall. Becomes routine and boring quickly. Isn't something you should rely on since you can get dropped at any time.
Pros
Flexibility, easy
Cons
Not enough hours, Not good if you can't handle being paid once a month
Job security
Social Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  High Point, NC20 March 2018
I have not had any problems with working for Appen. My direct deposit is on time, responsive to my emails and we get reminders with examples when needed.
Pros
Flexible, I’m able to finish my hours on the weekends
Cons
I wish we received feedback on disputes so I know don’t repeat the same mistake.
Fun place to work for mothers on the go
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, AL15 March 2018
I really enjoyed working for the company online. They offer myriad of positions for busy work at home moms. Will always look for more opportunities with the as long as my availability is valid on their website.
Pros
mobility
Cons
temporary
working with computer at home and researching
Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 March 2018
a typical day at work is typing and researching.i learned that you can find alot of interesting things on the web.didnt have any management you set your own hours.i enjoy researching and looking for answers.the work place culture is quite .hardest part of the job can sometimes be trying to find the best answers to a questions in the rite way.researching and doing something that interest you is the most enjoyable.
Don't waste your time with this company.
Facebook Ads Rater (Former Employee) –  Home10 March 2018
It started out good enough, but eventually there was almost daily glitches and had to constantly submit tickets to cover myself. I received constant good feedback through weekly audits, but for whatever reason, which they wouldn't tell me, they terminated my contract. As far as I know I was in good standing and I was going a good job. This is very consistent with many other negative reviews I read and I should have known better. Don't waste your time with this company. In my opinion, although they are not a total scam, it is close. Beware.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
No guarantee that you will remain employed.
No security even if doing a good job
Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CA10 March 2018
They terminated my contract before the project finish despite my great audits and said it had nothing to do with my performance but something to do with client metrics which they could not or would not elaborate on. There was no way for me to know why I was terminated nor any opportunity to figure out what it was that got me terminated or to correct anything (they said it could not be corrected as it was internal metrics they couldn't tell me about).
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay for what you have to do
Cons
They will dump your contract with no explanation. There are no benefits at all.
Flexible hours
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA8 March 2018
I felt that Appen offered a good work environment at a pace anyone could handle. I also felt that the pay was reasonable for the work. It was very hard to get questions answered, they did not respond in a timely manner.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
no communication
No Job Security
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Portland, TN7 March 2018
There is no guarantee that you will get a project, or that you will stay on a project. Even if our work is up to interpretation and there is no real answer to what they want us to do they still do audits and if the work is not the way they want it to be, they will fire you.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Job security
Growing business
VP of Business Development (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA5 March 2018
Prefer not to answer. Very poor management run by Operations team. VP constantly OCD on email, skype and working all hours of the day, weekend 100 hour weeks at times.
This is a scam
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee) –  North Carolina4 March 2018
I waited very patiently for MONTHS and absolutely no pay. They try to get you to work for free. And theyll have your project "pending" then they send you things you need to do then youll do them and your project will dissapear.
Cons
Scam
Great for temporary employment or resume building
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Virtual24 February 2018
Thumbs up. Great opportunities for current employees but hard to become one after being an independent contractor. There's always someone available to answer any questions you have.
Work on your own time, advance if you put in the effort
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA16 February 2018
I had a good experience working for Appen. I was forced to leave abruptly due to relocation, unrelated to the job itself. While working for Appen, I was able to work whenever I had the time during the day, which was relieving. I received 3 promotions in less than a year, and ended up in a senior role very quickly. I was trusted to take care of important matters in the project, and I appreciated this.
Pros
Work on your own time, work from home, very good coworkers and management
Cons
Low pay, low hours
Great for extra money or if you are a student
Work from Home- Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  virtual13 February 2018
I'm a college student who was just looking for a part time, flexible job. The job is easy enough and they offer a lot of flexibility, since you get to choose your own hours. I find it easy to travel without having to take time off and if I am having a a bad day, I just don't work! You do have a set amount of hours you have to work every week, which depends on the project you are assigned to. A lot of people complain about the lack of guidance, but honestly, I think they offer so much feedback and study material to help you improve. The pay is a little less than most work from home jobs i've had though, but it is sufficient and exactly right for me. I do not like that you are only allowed to work a certain amount of hours a day, though, because I'd rather complete my hours as I see fit.
Pros
Work from home, set your own hours, no phone work
Cons
pay rate, can only work a certain amount of hours per day
Poor managment
An online media evaluator (Former Employee) –  Online6 February 2018
They were hard to get in touch with when my check did not come on time. They allowed clients to harass me by constantly flagging my work, while my manager sent me emails praising my work. The support center would get short with me when I would ask questions about payment. I would never do this again.
Pros
easy money
Cons
not worth it
Appen was very flexible
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Work at Home3 February 2018
At Appen, you set your own schedule for most of their projects. No Management, no schedules, just work as you can. It was very flexible, and fun to do. Unfortunately my project ended, and there weren't any good ones to switch to when I left.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.