Appen Employee Reviews

Ambiente de trabajo normal
Analista de contenido en redes sociales (Former Employee) –  Valencia, Valencia provincia21 August 2019
El trabajo se realiza en el domicilio particular por lo que el ambiente es ideal.
Good pay / horrible communication
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Remote19 August 2019
Be prepared to be frustrated. I knew that going in, the only communication is through email. Too many hands in the pot. Rules and expectations change frequently. I was out of work for weeks at a time because of bugs in the system they couldn't figure out. Or I just wasn't that important to fix it quicker.
NO COMMUNICATION.
BUT this pays good for what your doing and it's super flexible.
Productive and hard
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Transcriber15 August 2019
this job was so easy and fun but i had to study hard the languages and the grammars , also i learned so many things from this job such as typing fast on the keyboard
Flexible hours
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Remote15 August 2019
Pros: Flexible hours, which suits my lifestyle. No boss to answer to.
Work between 4-6hrs a day depending on work load. 4hrs a day is too little. Especially since the pay is low and there's no benefits. You are also treated like an employee but get none of the benefits, so calling it an independent contractor is a far stretch.
Appen doesn't invest in their contrators
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  WAH12 August 2019
I pass all the assessments and they only let me do one project so far, not steady, cannot rely on.No security because you are a contractor. Could be amazing, but it's not.
Not a happy employee
Social Media Evaluator / Virtual Worker (Current Employee) –  from home Rome, NY9 August 2019
Worked for them for a few weeks valuating Facebook ads for Falcon. Abruptley let me go saying I was not evaluating properly. They gave me a test to try to correct any issues I was having. I followed their instructions and examples to the letter and they still said I could no longer work for Falcon. From other reviews I read this is a common practice for them. Anything offered to me by Appen since has involved children and I do not have children so I do not qualify. Made a bit more than $200 dollars then they let me go. I still get offers for tasks from them but noting I qualify for.
Pros
working from home
Cons
only able to work for 2 weeks before ending my position as social media evaluator
A Good Side Hustle
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Work at Home7 August 2019
I've been doing projects with Appen for over 3 years now. The company is definitely going places and developing rapidly. I only wish that FT benefits were available and I could make it my full time job. Working flexible hours from my own home makes this a perfect job.
Pros
Flexible hours, working from home
Cons
No healthcare or PTO benefits.
Great Company especially for Stay at Home Parents
Freelance Social Media Research Consultant (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport6 August 2019
Great Company especially for a Stay-At-Home parent who could do with some extra income. Unfortunately all jobs are temporary but every little helps and there are many many opportunities
Trabajo desde casa, bien remunerado
category rater (Former Employee) –  Aguascalientes, Ags.5 August 2019
Dado que es un trabajo desde casa, con posibilidad de establecer horario propio, además de que sólo exige pocas horas a la semana, es una oportunidad de trabajo excelente para estudiantes o personas que buscan un ingreso extra.
Pros
Horario flexible, desde casa.
Cons
Los proyectos pueden terminar de forma súbita.
Good to get by
Search Engine Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA5 August 2019
The only problem with this company is that they do not pay enough. However they are a good company to help get you by. The information constantly changes so you must stay up-to-date.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay
Online part time job to generate pocket money easily.
Social network evaluator (Former Employee) –  home4 August 2019
Able to work anytime in anywhere as a freelancer and have a reasonable income which helps to increase my pocket money during my university life. It also provided some training before the work start and it is easy to learn and able to start working after a quick test.
Not high paying, but payment is punctual monthly.
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  London South East, Greater London3 August 2019
The money that's paid won't pay all your bills lets be honest, but they pay punctually every month. It's good to at least some change in your pocket at the ending of every month.
Pros
punctual payments
Cons
low pay for hours of long tasks
Modern company
Freelancer Translator (Current Employee) –  Remote1 August 2019
Modern company. The platform is complex to work with and support for workers takes too long to return and does not always contain the information you need. When they return with an answer. Payment is very low for the job, which makes the service delivery frustrating. Also, the demand for work is low, almost nonexistent. It is temporary work for sure.
Very Detailed Oriented
REMOTE WEB SEARCH EVALUATOR (Former Employee) –  Remote1 August 2019
This is a great temporary job however, you must pay close attention to details. This is not a bad thing but went I started there was no real help with the training material. After I was there for a year and the new company took over, the information and support became better.
Nice work platform.
Search Engine Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PA30 July 2019
I am doing job with Appen is feeling very great for me.Appen searches talents.Appen is very trustworthy and reliable organisation.Appen gives decent benefits to her clients.Appen always care about there client and agents.Appen work platform is very flexible.Appen representatives always ready for help. Representatives make satisfy to there clients.
Perfecto
Consultor independiente Online (Former Employee) –  Bogotá, Cundinamarca29 July 2019
trabajo desde casa remunerado en dolares, se trabaja como contratista independiente mu buenos proyectos
Pros
horarios muy flexibles se tiene todo el dia para cumplir las horas
Fairly easy job
Social Media Ad Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Remote27 July 2019
You choose what hour you want to work for the day and take the time to finish your task. Pretty simple but needs a bit of effort. The best part is working from home when you have the time. 5-7 days a week required.
Pros
Choose your own hours, work from home, can apply to other projects
Cons
Low pay, monthly pay, low hours allowed
I love it
Research Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Online26 July 2019
Appen allows you to work when you want and it's simple. It keeps the balance of being able to have a life and doing simple tasks to keep the currency flowing
Total Rip off
mobile recordings (Former Employee) –  Remote25 July 2019
I was contacted by this company on July 2nd for a project that involved recording voice and vocal recordings. I started the project and completed it a few days later on July 8th.
Appen then proceeded to send me emails addressed two other users on the 9th after I sent my completed project under my user ID. I made multiple contacts on the 9th and a few days later with supporting documentation and information requesting confirmation of my project recordings receipt for my user number.
My requests for contact were never acknowledged, yet I kept receiving requests to finish the project under the details of those other user numbers.
Yesterday, again I received an email again addressed about the same different user which isn't me stating that I needed to complete the project for that user number.
I emailed the company again today July 25th stating my project details had been sent weeks ago until my user number. I just now received a sharky email from someone on Appen's staff demanding that in order to receive payment for the project that I have to complete it per their request, even though I have done the task
They will not listen to anything I've said nor will they request the evidence I have showing that I completed it and the support ticket information was sent on their servers for my user I.D.
I can only figure it is because they've made an error but as usual the person doing the gig is to pay for or in this case not be paid for it.
You have been warned.
Low-ball Buyout
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Remote24 July 2019
I originally started with Appen doing app work. They paid via Paypal I then per task at about $2-10 each. Then they brought out Leapforce & ruin the pay by ending contracts and cutting the pay by over $ 4 for the same tasks. They did change payout method to allow bank deposits.

It was okay for extra cash, but not the best platform for mobile phone work. As other reviewers said, instructions are unclear and often time, a headache trying to figure things out. Expectations & pay do not line up so you'll soon go with the motions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.