Aphria Inc. Employee Reviews

Inventory Control
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON22 April 2019
All aboard the slave ship to nowhere. Ask yourself why are these positions continually available. New hires quit or are fired after unwillinging to accept the 55+ hour week expected environment.
Pros
Inexperienced management
Cons
Inexperienced management
Notorious but not Bad
Greenhouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON4 April 2019
Smells strongly of cannabis. It will stick to your clothes, along with the hundreds of ladybugs. It is honest work, however, and satisfying returning home at 5 pm when you know you have done your job and can rest for the evening. Workplace culture is rather kind, it seems working so hard together bonds you. The hardest part is the heat, but the best part is the relief you feel knowing you worked hard and your day is done.
Pros
Easy to bond with other workers
Cons
Long hours, strong smell, management is poor
Management is poor. Long hours. Not good for your health.
Cannabis processor (Former Employee) –  Leamington Ontario2 April 2019
I worked in cannabis processing for 5 months, in the beginning I thought it was terrible along with the last day that I worked. I find that there is a lot of nepotism in the workplace. Supervisors and managers are all bunch of buddies and mostly men. Overall, people were nice that worked on my shift in vault 2. The long hours of sitting and looking through these lights with magnifying glasses are bad for your eyes when we're doing inspection and trimming. I noticed a big difference with my vision and I started having headaches and my back became sore because of the long hours of sitting. Therefore I had to end this type of job There is a high turnover at aphria and I don't think it's going to stop. Maybe they would have better luck with migrant workers.
Pros
Average paying
Cons
Lack of training and long hours
Fear Based Work Culture
Senior Management (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON26 March 2019
Trust and fear cannot co-exist in the same place. People who pretend they can co-exist are afraid to admit what their body knows: managerial fear overpowers trust every time.

Either the leaders in an organization trust their employees, or they don't. They only hire yes-men and yes-women to work for them. Anyone with a backbone will not last working for the fearful.

Confident leaders trust themselves enough to hire people they can trust.

They don't watch their employees like hawks. They don't enact rules and policies to cover every situation, because they know their employees will rise to every challenge.

They don't set up control mechanisms to keep people from using their native smarts and ingenuity. They don't measure every keystroke and every minute spent on any activity.

Managers talk about collaboration and out-of-the-box thinking but no one takes them seriously. You cannot get collaboration or new ideas from beaten-down employees.

The HR people specialize in assigning work, measuring results, punishing infractions and maintaining order. What ever happened to listening to employees, problem-solving with them, celebrating successes and envisioning even greater successes?
Pros
Cons
everything
Ask yourself why they keep posting jobs here?
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON24 February 2019
I was here for 2 months. All was good for a bit until a job came up for grabs. Deliberate bullying, having people brought into the maintenance room to see the 'joke' was beyond childish. There were no suspensions or anyone losing their job over it. Then I was pulled aside a day or so later and told I was saying things about the main supervisor of our department. Which I did not!! Being told I would never be in packaging because I did not have a college education is what did it for me. I was also told to cheer up. With my illness, I was killing myself for a job. With the backstabbing and no advancement, 10 hour days and no family life. Exhausted all the time, the stress of having to work with someone that clearly had anger issues. I proved my integrity and tried to get my daughter in....but after her interview, they told her to come back in January after family vacation. But yet, others were hired and got time off for vacation before their 90 days. The only good thing about here, I was allowed to bring home the coolers the bugs came in. They were used for feral cat shelters. At least they weren't put in the landfill. I offered to keep picking them up, only once did I ever get a message to come on by.

If you like being stressed and pushed to work harder everyday, then this is your place! I do miss a few people, but hey, its not like we talk outside of work. Don't trust anyone!! Keep to yourself!!
Pros
Very few nice people
Cons
Minium wage, long hours, some pretty rude people
Management is filled with terrible people
Production associate (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON24 February 2019
I was released from the company 3 times all within a month. Me and a co-worker were reprimanded and let go, they rehired my co-worker because the HR rep liked his physique. HR went out of there way to fire me from agencies and affiliated companies on another 2 different occasion, while emailing me that they did not want to hinder my job searching. HR is now trying to drag out my labor claim for stolen wages for as long as humanly possible despite an order of compliance being given and are now looking to appeal with their legal team. They’re absolutely horrible people.
Do not work here
Inventory Controller (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON4 February 2019
As an example of this places culture they just fired someone in our department because they have a sick wife at home and are unable to work the forced swing shift. He had just gotten back from his honeymoon and this was his first shift back.

No professional will ever want to work for tomato growers who treat their employees like 3rd world citizens while actually hiring 3rd world citizens to take our jobs. How does Aphria even qualify for LMAI. It is not a farm or a green house it is a medical manufacturer.
Pros
There is nothing positive even your resume is ruined since you worked in pot
Cons
incompetence at all levels, lack of empathy, long hours for nothing
Horrible place to work
Senior Management (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON29 January 2019
Whatever you do, don't apply there for a job

-Extremely toxic social environment
-The worst management
-Unqualified doing the job of the qualified and vice versa
Pros
Cons
everything
Read all reviews- avoid greenhouse/production
Greenhouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON20 January 2019
Along with you get paid not the greatest in greenhouse and are just expected to give your life to the job, 6 days a week 10hr shifts. Mandatory overtime i dont mind but there's no overtime pay to help justifiy being away from family. On top in certain areas if your behind or not making the numbers they will just expect you to stay till after 5.

Their are some great people there but theough all the chaos its hard to enjoy the work.it could be sucha great place but it needs alittle tlc from management, supervisors, and team leads.
Pros
great people, can be fun
Heed others reviews.
Iventory control (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON9 January 2019
Told m-f 8-5, 4 months later swing shift which I cannot work.
Management who outwardly say they don't know what they are doing.
Poor Human Resource Management
Poor work place culture
Mandatory Saturdays
Miss represent employment opportunities
You will not know what you will work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor management, long hours, no structure, low pay with forced overtime
Be Very Careful!
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON28 November 2018
I have two months of experience at Aphria in the manufacturing department.

This place has its moments of greatness, but overall the facility is a nightmare to work in. If you find yourself working in packaging/manufacturing (they changed the name a couple months ago), be prepared to work multiple jobs, in multiple locations across the facility, without any sort of structure.

You will never get comfortable here. In my first month, I was switched shifts in the middle of the week (and had to acclimate to a whole new squad), switched jobs (to a different machine, whole new squad again), written up ON MY FIRST DAY as an operator of said machine, and before long moved (with half of my NEW new squad) to an entirely different vault, learning another new job, with - you guessed it - another new squad.

On any given day, you don't know where you'll be working, who you'll be working with, or even if you know how to do the job they'll be asking of you. If you don't, they'll give you about fifteen seconds of training, then you're on your own. To make matters worse, disciplinary action happens quite often, and appears to depend NOT on how fresh/inexperienced you are, but simply on the severity of the mistake.

Pros
- Excellent coworkers, immediate friendships (even if you're socially awkward as I am)
- Decent pay, especially after 3 months
- Working with weed, the feel of a new industry

Cons
- Callous, and sometimes rude, management
- No chance to settle, or get comfortable with one job
- Long hours of standing, or sitting, in one place
- No access to bathrooms during
  more... work hours
- Increasing security measures, no electronics of any kind (unless you're in management)
- Completely unrealistic (in some cases, outright impossible) production goals
- Lots of down time; machines down for maintenance, or simple miscommunication across departments

Most jobs are confusing, awkward, and turbulent as you eventually find your place and settle down. Not this job. After two months, I was just as confused and nervous walking into work as I was on my first day.
Was a great place to work extremely nice people
Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON17 November 2018
I worked here for about a week loved the job and the people unfortunately the hours and standing all day could no longer take it with a disability ...
The managment were very understandable when i left and offered me a returne if thing got better but at the time there was no jobs available to accommodate me ...
If you likenthe tropics and scorching heat to the point of burni g your skin off than this is the place to be ..
Ohh and being surround with WEED all day was like heaven ...
All in all i can say was a great place and staff were excellent people just not a job for people who are old...lol
Thanks to the Aphria staff for the opportunity to give it a shot..
Pros
Managment and staff were excellent
Cons
Some ignorant offshore workers, supervisors position make up lies about hard workers, lots of inner racisim
Glass Half Empty
Packaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON14 November 2018
A typical day at work consisted of long arduous hours, complaining, scheming and gossiping.

What I learned is that you can't trust everyone

Management = abysmal

Workplace culture - Most of the people are great human beings

The hardest part of the job was maintaining a positive vibe in the face of so much negativity

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting some new folk
Pros
A lot of genuinely nice people
Cons
Corruption, callous management, disinformation, informants
Yikes
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON23 October 2018
Typical day here consisted of drama, lack of communication, not a lot of training, you are tossed out to a job you might of been hired for or a totally different one if they need your help. You make a lot of good friends here. Hardest part about the job was standing all day in the same spot. The most enjoyable part was being able to move around. I learned a lot from the assistant growers/growers, whom are all amazing at their work.
Pros
By yourself most of the time
Cons
Long hours, low wages, long wait for benefits, no communication, management
Do not apply there for a job.
Janitorial Staff (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON19 October 2018
If you do not fit in with the crowd your are out. Gossip drama. Management with huge egos push you around. Not worth the wages. Employees will get your fired if they don't like you.
Pros
Cons
everything about the company
Packaging Operator (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON14 October 2018
Hello every one,
I worked with people store with metro green to Aphria packaging facility. I worked with great hope to work at least three months. I am hard working doing every part as required also worked 7 days a week to meet there demand also helped others to get there in time from Windsor.
Suddenly after work on Sunday I received message from people store lack of work in metro green so they donot want me there. Although I donot understand why I am targeted such . I have no fault at all . I am responsible to take care of family so I am very sad.Due to high qualification may be reason. Or due to old age.
I tried with different agency but failed. This is my luck in Aphria.
Even I applied several position but never get call for interview.
In fact the higher management does not know what's going on . On typical Sunday I worked with operation manager he is satisfied only 4 people meet the target!!!!
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
They donot know too much delay time down time what to do next
PAYROLL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON6 October 2018
great place to work
lots to learn
growing fast
cutting edge
new people to meet from all over the world
team building atmosphere
good people
great owners
Pros
cutting edge
Cons
far if you live out of area
Fantastic place to work
Greenhouse (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON5 October 2018
Imagine being excited to go to work everyday?
That's what it is like to work at Aphria.

The moment you walk in the door you are greeted and acknowledged by fellow co-workers with "good mornings" and casual conversation. For it being such a large company you normally would never except such positive consistent vibes from everyone. The management is very helpful and friendly, with a complete open door policy to assist you with any concerns or needs. The company offers high wages and good benefits to all full-time employees. As far as advancing in the company they post all jobs internally and speaking from personal experience I advanced with 6 months!!

My favorite part of work is definitely the people I am surrounded by. It truly makes for an enjoyable day. As I mentioned early - I get excited for Mondays to come !! (Who would have ever thought)

Just commenting on other reviews:
I started off in the greenhouse and I've noticed everyone is in good spirits and work hard. Obviously within any company if you have a sour attitude and bad work ethic than that is why problems concern.

Overall I would highly recommend working at Aphria, I will say that it will forever higher your expectations though.

Best of luck !!

I hope this review has helped!!
Pros
Growth within company
Cons
Gets warm, but its expected
read the reviews
Greenhouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON26 September 2018
got the job lasted 3 weeks. management has no idea how to run a crew. people boss others around and drama lots of drama.
for me that is not worth 14 dollars an hour plus 2 hours of drive time to be made fun of and deal with drama because people don't know how to just do there job.
don't get me wrong i enjoyed the job but when you make complains to hr and the brush you off. for me that's not how you run a crew or a company
apply for patient care, not production or greenhouse
Production (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON3 September 2018
Someone i worked with at Aphria once said "Miscommunication is another word for Aphria" and he was too right.
A year and a half ago this company was fun to work for. It was small more tight knit, regular hours.
Now the growing pains are becoming more pervasive. They are biting off more than they can handle with rec coming up, poor management and miscommunication in every department.
People are overworked, unhappy, and looking for a way out. People are not getting paid appropriately for the extra work they do, a lot of time you feel used.
Overtime became mandatory, swing shifts and mandatory weekends will become the norm in production. No one can do this type of work forever, especially greenhouse and production work.
Hardest part is the repetition and monotony of the work, and the hours.
Most enjoyable part is the people.
Pros
the people
Cons
poor management, disorganized, mandatory overtime poor work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aphria Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5