Anytime Fitness

Anytime Fitness Employee Reviews

Typical day at work: member conversations, data entry, phone screenings, emails, new member sign upsWhat you learned: how not to run a businessManagement: manager was great to work for but she had minimal opportunity to do anything because owner's prioritized personal finances over that of the facilities workplace culture: despite the lack of owner involvement, manager made workplace fun and was creative with member retention initiatives hardest part of the job: lack of owner investment most enjoyable part of job: working with coworkers and manager
Pros
Great manager (she has now left though)
Cons
owners, long hours, terrible pay, lack of investment in employees
Terrible place to work ! Do not get sucked in - very high turnover, management does not care about its employees, no work life balance , talk of benefits etc but either doesn't happen or let go beforehand , high expectations , little training , micromanaging , poor communication, company doesn't value employees , stay away !!
Pros
Free gym pass
Cons
No breaks, no job security, no value
Over all not a terrible place to work as a sales/gym manager. You are pressured to make sales and push sales on all potential members. When you do not meet the expectations then you would have a private meeting with your regional managers or they will call you out on the spot on your poor performance. A lot of sugarcoating and blanket type descriptions on promotions and membership agreements. Also pushing to upsell menberships with coaching and other additional features, that are expensive. You are basically on call 24/7 your phone is constantly going off, definitely a job where you take it home with you. If you are passionate about sales and the fitness industry and don't have much of a life outside work and the gym, youll love it.
Pros
Free gym membership, discounted coaching, family/spousal membership discount, sale bonuses
Cons
Long hours, pressure sales, potential commute, poor work-home lifestyle balance, drama within staff members
Great place. Even better gym just a tough time when management doesn’t listen or even attempt to fix anything your fired on the spot, without another word. Just removed from group work chats and told not to show up and if you do your key fob will have been disabled.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Short shifts
This was a terrible experience all they did was make promises and not keep them Just to tell me that I should be in the gym For 14 hours and day and they will only pay me minimum wage for 3 hours MAX. They basically take advantage of your excitement to be a personal trainer. I was also threatened to be fired for missing a meeting to meet with a client. Mean while my manager missed 5 meetings in 3 weeks.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
The club I worked at the owner was a disgusting gawking pig who made clients uncomfortable when they were in the club. The pay was stupid low for the hours worked the expectation of working hours is often 20 hours a day availability. The club is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I would not recommend working for the anytime fitness in Brampton near Williams parkway and Mississauga road. Horrid place to work.
Pros
Free gym access
Cons
The owner Lonnie and his wife Brenda seem like a nice people at first, but their true nature comes out after you've worked there a few weeks. I've encountered sociopaths before, but Lonnie is by far the worst. He plays mind games with his staff and gas lights them all the time, making them feel worthless, stupid, and wrong. He pretends to be highly empathetic but in reality, he has no remorse or empathy for his actions. He's verbally abusive, dictatorial, and obsessive-compulsive about how you perform your job. Actually, every day he watches you on the cameras from his home and calls you when he sees anything he doesn't like, including taking a bathroom break. There is literally no room to breathe there! Lonnie is notorious for yelling at his employees, even for little things. Ask anyone who's ever worked there and they'll all tell you they are traumatized. In fact, many former members are traumatized too. Lonnie and Brenda have kicked out so many ladies for wearing crop tops or skin-tight clothing. He's even kicked out guys who simply looked "too buff" (probably because it bruises his ego). How they've never been sued yet for sexist discrimination is mind-boggling! During COVID-19, Lonnie and Brenda defied public health orders to shut the gym down and forced their employees to show up to work even though their lives were being put in danger. They are both virus deniers who believe a vegan diet is all that is required to survive COVID-19. It took multiple calls from the community to the by-law officer to finally shut the place down. Finally, if you're a personal - more...
Pros
Cons
Abusive owners
Love working at Anytime Fitness. My dream job. Only reasoning I am not working there is because of co-vid. The boss and owner has been wonderful to me.
The company makes you follow up with delinquent accounts and you get yelled alot at. This shouldn't be the fitness manager job but someone in the head office like a collection specialist.
literally didn't even get paid out my vacation. got shorted hours every check. the owner is literally a crook and getting sued by the city of calgary. Please don't work here. You are the cleaner, the sales person, gym guide, maid, admin. You literally run the gym for min wage and commission which is hard and not worth it. I was asked to repair things around the gym including the tanning bed like i am at all qualified for that.
Pros
commission on membership sales - flat, free membership
Cons
no breaks, horrible bosses, expected to work 6 days a week, won't give you time off you'll just get fired
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Anytime Fitness?
Fun place to work as a personal trainer. Great staff. You are provided with leads, which is useful. Great hours as well. You are still able to have a life while working there.
Having worked for a owner of 3 locations in Victoria I don’t recommend, at all Terrible employer Constantly underpays staff And when you quit finds ways to short your last cheque and even screws your ei status Shameful cause the rest of the ATF a in Vic are great to work for
Have to be on top of your emails to ensure the business is running with clients. Cleaning the gym to make sure all clients are in a neat space to workout.
Pros
Commission
Cons
No cons
I loved going to work each day because I knew with the positive atmosphere I was able to help others work towards their goals. Working one on one with an individual to tailor a specific plan for their goals was empowering for me and the client.
lots of fun people to meet every day it was a fun environment to be in. job duties were easy and not stressful at all. pay was good for the duties of the job
One of the best companies to work at. Great owner, management, staff and work facility. I am still working with the company as a different structure, and I would never want to leave - such great culture with customers and staff.
Pros
Casual and relaxing
Cons
Limited hours
Friendly and supportive staff. Members are very respectful and cooperative most of the time. Except for a few cases. Overall a delightful experience. I loved sharing the love for the gym with other staff and members.
It was a fairly stressful work environment probably in most part to the competitiveness and the profuse pressure to sign new members. It's not the typical job where you go in and do you work and leave, you need to put time and energy into it that some may just not have.
The job itself was very rewarding, but the ownership at the franchise I worked at was completely unacceptable. Borderline mentally abusive to all staff members. Do not apply for any job at the Campbell River location. You will be made to do way more work than described, and not compensated for it. The owner makes you feel awesome at first and seems very nice, but later talks down to you and expects the world from you. Many staff members took quite a while to recover after working at this location.
Upper management is professional and gives props when deserved.Encouraging upper management. Owner really cares about his clubs and his staff.Great place to work.
I recommend this place to beginners and advanced gym go- ers. Staff is friendly and will help with questions anytime one asks. Please don't hesitate to pop in and check it out.
  1. Employee reviews