Andrew Peller Limited

Andrew Peller Limited Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews
I worked there for 1 1/2 months
They didn't pay enough on how hard you have to work for only $14.00 an hour. Always having to move quickly. It is a fast pacing job you have to be on your toes watching for continues situations.
Andrew Peller
I absolutely loved working for APL. It was a pleasure learning about wines and working with customers. I worked at their 5 Points Mall location in Oshawa and got to know our clientele very well. The management of the store was excellent and the experience together as a team was exceptional.
Avoid If you are into good wine
I worked at their Grimsby facility. What a gong show! Had no life during harvest,which I was able manage while working other wineries over the years... Avoid this company!
Toxic work environment in Bottle shop
Even though I was warned in 4 interviews that it would be difficult to work with the Bottle Shop Manager, I was extremely excited to work here. I learned quickly that the warnings were justified. She treated me like she did not want me there from day one. Never helpful in training, answered questions very brief, very defensive if you made any suggestions, was never open to any changes or improvements. If it wasn't her idea it was a bad idea. I learnt every thing I knew from the employees on the floor. Employees were scared of her, always looking over my shoulder to see if she was around when they talked to me on the floor. I reported to her indirectly and also to her boss that I was lucky to see once every 2 weeks. I raised my concerns to our boss on numerous occasions and was always told to be patient. I would not recommend a position in the bottle shop until she retires. The rest of the staff in the other departments were amazing and great to work with. The work environment outside the bottle shop was very good. Very disappointed that I could not perform to my high standards and that this position did not work out because of one person. The culture is changing in the right direction but not quick enough in the bottle shop.
Family Company Gone Corporate
The life and energy have been sucked out of what was a thriving Canadian Family owned company. New leadership changes over recent years is directing the company to a corporate mentality where employees are stomped on and kicked to the curb. Ignorance is not bliss and when the Owners ignore what is happening right in front of their eyes they are condoning what is happening. If you think there is truth in what you are being told think again.
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Management isn't great by any means. Employees are typically fine to work with but the pay is terrible for the amount you need to know and do. Employee discount and gift card program is a nice perk but doesn't quite make up for the minimum wage salary. Lots of lifting, (understandable) but constantly carrying boxes of whisky and wine up and down stairs isn't very safe. Overall, an OK place to work. Management needs to be heavily improved.

3-4 xH
Manage with Fear
Bottle shop work environment toxic. Manager is miserable, old school, manages with fear, reluctant to make improvements and does not entertain any of the employees ideas. Long hours due to poor management
Lots of Change. Every day changing
Multiple resources for comunication and it is not used well.

The staff are supportive and so kind.

Hardest part of the job is trying understand the job tasks , due to lack of communication from management.

Work Place culture is changing as the staff long term staff leave moving from Family to Coorporate .
Pros
Shares and Pension
Cons
Lack of direction and guidance
Terrible Training System & No one cares
I worked at an APL property for only a number of shifts. Training was NON existent and continuously put me in situations that I should not have been in. They basically threw me into everything and made it feel like I should already have the knowledge to succeed. I felt extremely uncomfortable and I felt embarrassed for the company because they were just leaving me to apologize to everybody that I was so new and alone. I would not recommend for anybody to work at the newer APL properties.
Toxic male dominated environment
During my time at Peller I reported to a VP who lacked professionalism, leadership and was a bully. (Hes still there) The salary they pay their employees is unjustified considering the workload. They do not promote work life balance, career development or mentorship programs. Their HR team is toxic. Lastly, do you see a female on the exec team? Enough said.
It is a fun work place with great employees
A typical day would be 6 to 8 hour shifts. To work as a team player. The management was great to work with.The hardest part of the job was keeping up with an extremely face paced enviroment.Working with the best people.
Pros
Free extravagant meals
Cons
No 20 minute breaks
no job guarantee
no job guarantee. i feel they prefer some whites only
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not much shifts for casual employees
too many drunks
Unless you drink alot dont go there' all they do is break the rules the LCBO sets for company's that have their own place.
Pros
nothing
Cons
no lunch breaks or 15 min
Fun workplace
Sales team was the best part of the work.
Trips to the winery in Niagara were very informative.

Very few difficult customers.

SMART Serve Certification.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Working weekends
Nice people
Fun but difficult environment. Wet and cold some days and hot and dry others. Frustrating some days as no one listens to suggestions for improvement. Great people, horrible GM.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
Horrible GM
Divided union
Very abusive atmosphere with little to no advancement opportunities unless you have been here for ten years. Company is constantly downsizing staff replacing them with machines. Management has hands tied as they have to answer to the union. Lots of empty promises handed out. Good faith has no meaning here. Union members have many sharp knifes waiting for new hires. Be prepared to be a pin cushion.
Cons
Forced overtime even if you have plans Friday night.
Good place to work and then come home
Was a union position. Paid well, work was easy,but not for someone who wants to be more involved or move up in the company. Management treats union staff poorly, and won't get opportunities to move in a management position even if you are qualified.
Pros
good pay, 8 hour shifts
Cons
shift work, poor work comradery
Old school management. Rule with an iron fist type.
Managers appear to be new. They can't answer your questions. Leadership is clearly missing. It's like the movie Groundhog Day, everyday. The culture is not built on respect. They talk about how it's a "family" but when it comes down to it, they really don't seem to care at all.
Pros
Union
Cons
Favouritism- the evil practice of store manager
if you do not suck up to the store manager, then you definitely will not get more hours and more perks.if store is not busy,manager texts you not to come in.new job applicants resumes are openly distributed by store manager to the favored store employees for their opinions and approval before any applicant is shortlisted.Appraisal sheets of some staff are discussed with favoured employees and increments are arbitrarily decided by Manager not according to merit at all.
Friendly enviroment
Management and staff are very inviting. A lot of staff think they can get away with showing up late or not at all. Very pleasant staff when there. Lots of customer service experience gained.
Great people
Great people to work with. Best employee culture I have seen.

Management has undergone a lot of restructuring as of late so job security is to be desired.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Terminates employees without process for very little superficial reasons.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Andrew Peller Limited. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7