ANDREW PELLER LIMITED Employee Reviews

Great people
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ON8 February 2018
Great people to work with. Best employee culture I have seen.

Management has undergone a lot of restructuring as of late so job security is to be desired.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Terminates employees without process for very little superficial reasons.
About workplace
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON18 December 2017
While Peller Estates winery is a beautiful place to visit, it has proven to not be an ideal workplace. From my experience working in the kitchen, I have found that the hours are very long with no breaks and that it can be an incredibly stressful and unhealthy work environment. While I’ve found most of the kitchen staff friendly and accommodating, the department heads have repeatedly proven themselves not to be accommodating to the needs of the employees and have proven to be highly difficult to interact with.
Pros
Good Benefit package
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, no job security
Wine Advisor - Retail Sales
Wine Advisor - Sales (Former Employee) –  Okanagan, BC20 November 2017
Part time work for minimum wage is a mediocre way to operate a company. Hire staff full time and provide basic benefits. People need a living wage in order to work. This corporation takes all that they can get and give nothing back.

It's all by the clock - to the penny. Anyone working here is being taken advantage of - no matter how hard they work for the "corporate bottom line".
Pros
APL produces nice wines.
Cons
Most staff are kept on slave wages on a part time basis; it's just 3rd world employment.
bad place to work
Seasonal Forklift Operator/Packaging assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 June 2017
They hired multiple seasonal workers, then at the end they cut all but 2 people. The pay is terrible for the work demand. It is an absolutely miserable place to work. The moral is low, everyone was just so negative.
Fun work environment with nice perks.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 April 2017
Overall a great company to work for. Only complaints are the scheduling, it wasn't always accurate. Management would sometimes change it at the last minute. As well, it the available shifts were not always the greatest, a lot of nights and weekends. Hourly wage was a little low for someone with experience in the industry and I found that advancement was very limited.
The employee discount and training was great.
Pros
Employee discount and allotment
Cons
Hourly wage and scheduling
Wonderful place to work
Guest Relations Administration (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON5 March 2017
Exceptional place to work. Fast paced work environment. Diversity of jobs offered. Exceptional staff. Great management who teach you so much.
Pros
Training, management
Cons
Low pay
Minimum wage, lots of studying to sell winw, targets that have to be met and NO commission!
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON2 November 2016
Day consists of stocking wine, cleaning, selling, opening and closing store. Lousy money and you are expected to know everything about the wines.
You have a daily target that you are expected to make but there is no bonus or commission!!
Might as well ring in groceries as they get paid more!!
Boring job!!
Pros
Cons
nights, weekends, sales targets without commission, minimum wage
Great part time job
Acting Manager/ Customer Service/ Wine Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 June 2016
A 100% Canadian owned and operated company. Great part time job with great hours. A very social job working with the public daily to introduce and promote Canadian wine to Canadians! All training for wine knowledge provided.
excellent
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  NOTL21 May 2016
responsible for managing a large group of staff, analyzing and conductions daily sales and revenue reports, closing up the estate overnight
Unprofessional and Unaccomodating
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON3 August 2015
When I started at Andrew Peller Limited, I was hired by a great guy who was understanding of the fact I am also in school part-time.

I was hired for a part-time job and it was clear to my employer that I had other matters of importance. This was fine for months. Seven months after I'd gotten the job, my direct supervisor was forced to retire. I say forced because he did not want to - they forced him out. I then stuck with this job for another three months under a new boss who managed two locations - in other words, she worked part-time at each store. This meant that our store had four part-timers plus a part-time manager. One part-timer left for a better job opportunity toward the end of the first month. My new boss didn't even put up a hiring sign for applicants until my coworker had finished working her two weeks. Naturally, the our team was spread pretty thin.

Given that I was in school part-time - a fact I explained to my boss when she first took over the location, and which she expressed no issue with - the overabundance of hours grew to be an issue. I regularly worked 24-32 hours, which ranged anywhere from 5 to even 6 days a week due to some of the shifts being less than 8 hours. When I was first hired, it was on the terms that I would not be needed to work any more than 24 hours, a fact that was also explained to my new manager. Nevertheless, what was meant to be a maximum became the minimum. Furthermore, while working only 3 shifts a week at 8 hours each is quite manageable, working 6 days a week for 4 hours each is extremely stifling on life outside the workplace.
  more...

I stayed with the job, expecting the situation surely would improve once we got a replacement - after all, my boss assured all of us that this would be the case. We didn't get a replacement until a full month later, and even after three weeks of training, the new hire was having no effect whatsoever on hours. Furthermore, despite having never once requested time off, never having missed a shift, and never even so much as trading a shift with anyone else, my boss began to give me a hard time about requesting a bit of time off - not vacation time, but simply days that I had exams to write. I've since resigned from Andrew Peller Limited, unfortunately, as it was because of the poor personal and management skills of my boss that I lacked the time to complete my schooling - I'm continuing the same course in September, so no lasting harm save for my time, if you don't consider that lasting harm. Three days after leaving the job I've heard from my coworkers that my manager has been slandering me after my departure, claiming I sat around and read magazines every day (I've never even touched a magazine in my entire life, and I don't bring novels to work; it's impossible to focus long enough when working in retail)

Now, I realize this is hardly a fair representation of the company as a whole, but rather an individual, but I believe it to be rather telling about the company that they should employ such a person for a management position. All efforts to contact my district manager were rebuffed, met with disinterest and utter disregard for my opinion. I'm a polite person. I never once spoke ill of my manager, either to herself or to the district manager. I was simply requesting that the conditions of my employment as well as basic necessities be met. After all, it was a part-time position.

I still keep in touch with my coworkers, though another one has since left (she left a week after I did, in fact). Evidently, the manager has elected not to hire any new hands, but instead rely on two part-timers to run the store for her, as that's all that remain of our staff. Absolutely ridiculous.
Pros
A selection of inexpensive wines determined by the company each month.
Cons
Complete disregard for the well-being of its employees, unprofessional practices, uninformative, sales focused; abysmal customer service

Want to know more about ANDREW PELLER LIMITED?

Ask a question
Productive and Fun work place
Financial Accountant - Capital Assets (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ON9 February 2015
Started work at 8.00am and sometimes we had wine testing, learnt a lot about wines. Management was very good , they always involved us in the growth of the company and we worked closely as a team with other departments. The hardest part of the job was to make sure my schedules are ready for the board pack every 3rd day of the month and the enjoyable part is that i made my deadlines all the time
Pros
Free wines
Cons
Pressure at month end
Excellent Customer service skills provided with delightful coworkers
Sales Representive (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 May 2014
Andrew Peller Limited was a great company to work with, very educational and enlightening.
Pros
wine knowledge
Cons
not enough hours
Very good company to work for, always a new learning experience
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton14 January 2014
Customer service in this wine retail outlet is generally a faced steady pace.
We continue to learn about new products and how to pair them to the customers needs.
A.P.L. (Andrew Peller Ltd.) has a strong supportive management team.
We have a strong team of sales reps at our location and have worked together for many years.
For the most part this a very enjoyable job that I continue to enjoy after many years.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
No full time positions below Managers
to learn much about wine
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 June 2013
If you love wine, it was a good job to take.
opening and closing business; operate POS system;
have chance to learn much about wine
Interesting and challenging environment just not confident it will remain in the Okanagan
Wine Cellar manager (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 April 2013
I work with the wine making team and manage the 20 unionized employees in the wine cellars. I issue the work orders and ensure the work is completed correctly and on time. I am responsible for the 3.5M budget that it requires to successfully run the wine cellars. I work closely with planning, production, quality and logistics to deliver the schedule. I enjoy working with the wine making team and continually learning. Although the job has challenges, it is equally rewarding. The most enjoyable part working with my co-workers, finding solutions to problems that arise and receiving awards for our wines knowing I had a part in it.
Pros
great team
Cons
no room to move up and job security
Productive and fun workpace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, Ont13 March 2013
Meeting and educating customers to improve overall experience for the customer,

Management on a scale from 1 - 10 ... were a 4

Co workers were great, learned from them, could share easily with them

clashing with co workers

Dealing with the public. It is nice to hear the good but also the not so good. Challenges you to do better and upgrade knowledge
Pros
tasting of new wines to further expand the selling experience
Cons
loosing keys when you are supposed to open
Great place to work, excellent benifits
Cellerman (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 January 2013
This was a great job and I learned many new things. I received lots of training and certificates. It was an 8-4 job with weekends off which was very nice.
My co-workers were excellent to work with, supervisors were great. The physical part was hard at times but I also really enjoyed doing it and keeping fit.
Pros
excellent benifits
Cons
job security
Great atmosphere to work in
Shipper/Reciever/ Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON1 August 2012
Very flexible as I am a single mother with 2 young kids. Great place to work and enjoyed what I did.