Amity Corporation Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Love This Job
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tsuchiura, Ibaraki, Japan2 May 2018
I loved working for Amity, sure the hours can be grueling and sometimes you may not get placed where you dreamed of, but I enjoyed every moment of it. Training is tough, be prepared to work through any jet lag or fatigue upon arrival. I can definitively say even if you just stay a year it's worth everyday.
Pros
Cons
Long work hours
Not for the Faint at Heart
English teacher (full-time) (Former Employee) –  Japan13 April 2018
The job requires a lot of you, physically and mentally. It requires a lot of people interaction, fast-paced teaching, high energy in the classroom and doesn't allow for proper time to plan lessons you need to teach. Requires you to sell to people who don't speak your language well, as well as requires you to live in company housing so you can't quit unless you wish to be homeless. They try to cheat you out of everything they promise, benefits wise. Additionally, taking paid days off only means rescheduling the day to work for another day, not actually getting time off. Often my time off requests were denied and I had to reschedule important events or plans. When sick, you are required to make up your classes and reschedule them yourself. No sick days are allowed, you have to use your vacation days.
Pros
Good salary
English Teacher
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Japan9 June 2017
They provide enough training to get you started and everything else you learn on the job. Typically you work 9 hours with an hour lunch break. Depending on which school you are at and how busy it is you would usually have about 4 to 8 classes a day. The students make the job enjoyable.
Energetic and educational place to work in
Teacher of English (Former Employee) –  Shizuoka, Japan8 March 2017
A typical day of work included teaching 6 to 8 classes a day. I learned how to manage a classroom of students from all ages (elementary, high school and adults). The workplace culture in Japan is very different than here because business and personal life are completely separated. I truly enjoyed working at this company because I really enjoy teaching and learning as I work.
Pros
Close to home
Taihen
FOREIGN TEACHER TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Okayama, Japan24 September 2015
The work office is small and strict. The training staff receives little direction. Mistakes are punished very severely.
A great yet exhausting experience
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  JPF21 January 2013
I loved teaching in Japan, especially since it had been a dream of mine for a few years. I enjoyed my students, co-workers, and the Japanese parents I met, and I loved watching my students become more confident in their English abilities. The Japanese work ethic, however, is very rigorous and can create a bit of a problem for people interested in a decent work/life balance. I worked from noon to past 9 at night, and I often went into work an hour earlier and stayed almost an hour later.

This company has great benefits (health insurance and annual health exams), and I had a nice manager who took care of me. She was not professional with the Japanese staff, though, and sometimes grew terribly impatient and difficult to work with. Some managers are not like that, but having one as your boss can make the whole job rather dismal.
Pros
insurance, respect, good pay
Cons
long hours, weekend time, cultural differences

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amity Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9