Amity Corporation Employee Reviews

Unnecessary tasks
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  宮城県10 June 2019
We're required to offer a lot of additional contracts to students and parents, and it's so much stress, because the number of contracts you sell really affects ur salary. Also, it's super hard to get a day offs even you're sick.
Pros
Long vacations (8〜10days per a vacation)
Cons
Low salary, stressing work environment
Good place to work if you are flexible with tasks
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Japan19 March 2019
Working with Amity was great. It was tough in the beginning as some managers expect a lot from you but it gets easier over time. The daily tasks were manageable and simple. The toughest part was trying to help sell extra lessons and seminars to non-english speaking parents. The work isn't stressful and the work environment is great. There is a lot of team work and help from the Japanese teachers. It was a great place to work with a great training program.
Pros
Health benefits, many vacation days
Cons
not being allowed to speak Japanese to parents who don't understand English
High stress high demand low reward
English teacher (Former Employee) –  Fukuoka, Japan27 November 2018
This job expects a lot from you. They claim you as a part time employee based on your teaching hours, not the hours they expect you to work, so you will be responsible for paying for your own benefits. Very high stress level and poor work life balance.
Pros
Good wage, good abroad experience
Cons
Not good for long term employment
Amazing experience
Native English Teacher Area Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kasugai, Japan9 August 2018
I absolutely loved my job and living in Japan has been one of the best experiences of my life. If you work hard, you will do well. It can be very stressful at times but you always have a good support system.
So fun
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tokyo. Japan9 August 2018
Great school to work for. Competitive pay and the students and families are amazing. The business pressures can be real at times but overall a great place to work.
The black company
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nagoya, Aichi2 August 2018
They never pay for overtime
I had to work even I was off
I had to everything to sell my lessons to my students, make contracts and so on. There were too many things to do by my self. It was stressful.
The only benefit was that I could study English properly there. And kids are awesome. I love them.
Pros
Studying English
Cons
Too much overtime, no break time, low salary
High Paced, Great Pay, Fun
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Japan15 June 2018
Though working at Amity required a lot of time and effort, it was a great experience! We received a week of intensive training before being sent to our schools. We continued to receive teacher training throughout our time as teachers. Teachers who do well can fill their schedules and receive bonus pay. It's a challenging job, but with the correct work-life balance it's manageable. The income was higher than other Native English teaching jobs in Japan.
Pros
Good pay with potential for monthly bonuses; good support network
Cons
Long hours, a lot of work
Love This Job
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tsuchiura, Ibaraki, Japan2 May 2018
I loved working for Amity, sure the hours can be grueling and sometimes you may not get placed where you dreamed of, but I enjoyed every moment of it. Training is tough, be prepared to work through any jet lag or fatigue upon arrival. I can definitively say even if you just stay a year it's worth everyday.
Pros
Cons
Long work hours
Not for the Faint at Heart
English teacher (full-time) (Former Employee) –  Japan13 April 2018
The job requires a lot of you, physically and mentally. It requires a lot of people interaction, fast-paced teaching, high energy in the classroom and doesn't allow for proper time to plan lessons you need to teach. Requires you to sell to people who don't speak your language well, as well as requires you to live in company housing so you can't quit unless you wish to be homeless. They try to cheat you out of everything they promise, benefits wise. Additionally, taking paid days off only means rescheduling the day to work for another day, not actually getting time off. Often my time off requests were denied and I had to reschedule important events or plans. When sick, you are required to make up your classes and reschedule them yourself. No sick days are allowed, you have to use your vacation days.
Pros
Good salary
Could be so much better.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Japan13 March 2018
The other teachers are paid so much less than what you are. That's kind of sad.
The culture of the company isn't cutthroat, but it's very toxic. You aren't paid for overtime, if you have a loved one die you aren't given time off.
Make sure you read through your contract, you'll save yourself a lot of grief if you do.
Pros
Pay was good all things considered, you get to live in Japan, the kids were pretty good
Cons
didn't pay overtime, toxic culture.
English Teacher
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Japan9 June 2017
They provide enough training to get you started and everything else you learn on the job. Typically you work 9 hours with an hour lunch break. Depending on which school you are at and how busy it is you would usually have about 4 to 8 classes a day. The students make the job enjoyable.
Energetic and educational place to work in
Teacher of English (Former Employee) –  Shizuoka, Japan8 March 2017
A typical day of work included teaching 6 to 8 classes a day. I learned how to manage a classroom of students from all ages (elementary, high school and adults). The workplace culture in Japan is very different than here because business and personal life are completely separated. I truly enjoyed working at this company because I really enjoy teaching and learning as I work.
Pros
Close to home
Well organized company
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Yokkaichi, Japan14 April 2016
A typical day at work consisted of planning lessons and preparing for the classes of the day. I learned a lot of organizational, time management, computer and leadership skills. The hardest part of the job was having to teach forty lessons a week. The most enjoyable part was helping clientele establish basic English conversation skills.
Pros
Easy work hours
Cons
Amount of responsibilities with limited time to do them
Teaching children who are 6 months to 18 years old - registering their information, counseling the students and parents
Teaching Staff (Former Employee) –  Fukushima, Japan5 April 2016
I had 8 lessons 5 days a week - teaching approximately 100 students through a week.

Not only teaching English, but counseling the students and parents was a big part of the job since we had to know the reason why they would quit learning English with us.

I used to help my manager get more students by visiting local kindergartens and elementary schools to explain about who we are and what we offer.

The hardest part of the job was when getting complains about how we teach, which is already programmed and cannot be changed, but we have to follow the company's policy no matter how many students quit because of not being able to adjusting themselves to what we teach.

Overall, I really enjoyed being with children and seeing how they've grown up - language-wise and just as humans.
Pros
Being able to acquire high communication skills
Taihen
FOREIGN TEACHER TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Okayama, Japan24 September 2015
The work office is small and strict. The training staff receives little direction. Mistakes are punished very severely.
Life changing opportunity
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toyama City, Japan4 October 2013
As a Native English Teacher I coordinated the activities of all 32 classes depending on level and student requirements which was very demanding. Because each student was different, I had to use the MAT teaching methodology in all classes differently. Managing classroom behavior and pace based on age, level and abilities was one of the hardest aspects of the job. Because the children were usually young, trying to get everyone to focus was the biggest challenge. Some of the most enjoyable parts were my private and semi-private lessons because I was able to interact more closely and privately with my students. I trained in new English and Japanese teachers and this was also a great part of the job. It allowed me to develop close friendships with my co-workers because I quickly found out their likes/dislikes, strengths and weaknesses so I was able to help when needed. By participating in monthly Japanese meetings about finances and new company initiatives, I was able to show my manager that could contribute not only on the English side, but on the Japanese side as well.
decent pay, great benefits, good cultural experience
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Japan13 May 2013
decent pay, great benefits, good cultural experience
long hours, large class load,
Pros
decent pay, great benefits, great cultural experience
Cons
long hours and large workload
A great yet exhausting experience
Native English Teacher (Former Employee) –  JPF21 January 2013
I loved teaching in Japan, especially since it had been a dream of mine for a few years. I enjoyed my students, co-workers, and the Japanese parents I met, and I loved watching my students become more confident in their English abilities. The Japanese work ethic, however, is very rigorous and can create a bit of a problem for people interested in a decent work/life balance. I worked from noon to past 9 at night, and I often went into work an hour earlier and stayed almost an hour later.

This company has great benefits (health insurance and annual health exams), and I had a nice manager who took care of me. She was not professional with the Japanese staff, though, and sometimes grew terribly impatient and difficult to work with. Some managers are not like that, but having one as your boss can make the whole job rather dismal.
Pros
insurance, respect, good pay
Cons
long hours, weekend time, cultural differences

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amity Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Amity Corporation Reviews by Job Title