Amica Senior Lifestyles Management reviews

Favouritism and absent/uncaring management.
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 April 2019
There's a handful of problematic people in an otherwise lovely bunch. Unfortunately a few bad attitudes can completely drag down a department and make work unbearable. It doesn't help if we're consistently short staffed and management won't deal with their core problems (cattiness among employees, inability to find new staff at the hiring rate, high turnover).
I experienced a personal issue and I was met with nothing with grief. I asked for access to our EAP and was told I would be given the information on my next shift. I was unable to attend work due to a personal issue, I was going through a mental health crisis. I was given nothing but grief and punishment.
I can say I'm happy to be free of Amica, but it did teach me alot, and I do miss a lot of my co-workers and most residents, but my mental health was more important.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
managment, pay
Unfair treatment of the management to the staff members. Unsafe to work.
Dining Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 February 2019
It's not a good company to work with if you are looking for stable and permanent employment with a descent income. You need to bring your own working tools to be able to work properly. The management didn't care to the team member's complaints and grievances unless you are a friend of the managers. Lots of the employees are not happy, low morale and they are coming only because they need to earn money to bring foods for the family table.
Pros
Nothing is good
Cons
Working long hours without break time and no overtime pay
Amica deals with Seniors Lifestyle Living
Senior Executive Assistant to CEO/CIO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2019
This was a contract position. Everything about the company was fantastic, from management to switchboard. Very professional and helpful. Great atmosphere for employees. Fun!
Pros
Events
former employee
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON12 February 2019
I worked at Amica for a year as a concierge and the first thing I can say is the pay is terrible!!!, that is one reason why I left Amica. The management does not care about you at all especially if you do something wrong. The residents are lovely that was the only part of Amica I liked. My advice to you is look else where!
Pros
Residents
Cons
terrible play, terrible hours, terrible management
staff & residents Great !
Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 January 2019
good company, poor on-boarding ( assumed that YOU know every aspect of the position. ) management team very knowledgeable, help each other achieve goals. upper management too absorbed in their positions, not helpful. BEST ADVICE.....do NOT assume anything !!!
Pros
good staff
Cons
general manager
Not a great atmosphere..
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek16 January 2019
There is no such thing as confidentiality there.
Staff is constantly belittled by management, and everyone gossips non stop.
Management has no problems singling out a certain person in front of a crowd.
Servers are the worst treated staff body. They are always told to help out other departments but as soon as they are short staffed, no one is ever available to help.
The overall atmosphere is negative and anxiety-provoking.
Pros
Sometimes we get fed
Cons
Expected to work whenever asked.
Great place to work!
Administrative Concierge (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 November 2018
I enjoyed working with the management and team at Amica. Very professional and personable.
The residents were the highlight of my day.
I would recommend anyone wanting to work at Amica to be prepared to work hard, be professional and know the meaning of confidentiality.
good environment
Assist residents (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 August 2018
i work at amica for almost 4 years , management is okay sometimes favouritism is displayed and you cant call in sick without been questioned alot and sometimes they will call you and ask you to come back to work because they couldnt find a replacement..There were no benefits for part timers
Pros
work load is not super heavy
Cons
low hourly rate
Fun, great atmosphere
Placement Student (Life Enrichment) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON1 August 2018
This is a 5 star retirement home. Residents pay a lot and will expect a lot! As long as you hear them out and make things happen, its fantastic. They are flexible on budget, open to ideas. The departments are not that cohesive though but the recreation department is phenomenal! Upper management from corporate seem hoity toity though.
Pros
Super duper recreation team
Cons
Driving a bus
Working with Seniors changes your life for the better
Concierge / Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 May 2018
The seniors help me see life in a different way and they are very hard to walk away from, every day feels like a new opportunity to learn more and improve. Unfortunately the company uses this to keep its employees, although very poorly paid, and a typical work day feels like performing under a microscope.
Pros
the seniors
Cons
the management
fun workplace
Part-Time Permanent (Dinning Room Server) (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 May 2018
great management at newmarket amica
i like how everybody work as a team
the most enjoyable part of the job is serving the elderly
everybody is very professional specially my managers and supervisor
Productive fun work place
Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 February 2018
I am currently working for amica and it’s the best company I have ever worked for. The staff are incredible and supportive and the management is really hands on and deeply respects their staff members. Overall, fantastic workplace
Soul sucking.
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 December 2017
If you like working in a toxic work environment where you are belittled and treated like a child. Amica has got it! Backstabbing ? Amica has got it! Non recognition? The blame game? If you prefer incompetence over experience and common sense All to save a buck. Apply here.

Side effects are burn out. Loss of precious time with your loved ones , damage to your self esteem, and PTSD from constant bullying from management.
Pros
1 Residents, 2 Some staff
Cons
You are just a number nothing more!
until they show their true colours (management that is)
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC28 November 2017
i was there for a few years found the seniority in h/keeping a joke, the back stabbers push you out if your not like THEM. They definitely are not easy to get along with. Do you think they remember what it was like when they started working there! Do not like people who cant take blame for their own actions.
Pros
loved the residence - they cared more for some house keepers and knew the hard-er workers
Cons
This seniority garb....we are all human beings - stop the bullying
Unprofessional Environment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON17 October 2017
Horrible management. If you truly care about the elderly this is not a place for you to work at. Consistent concern about employees not doing their job was always brought to the attention of management but nothing was ever done. The pay is not worth the constant hassle and lies of better shifts and advancement.
Grew too fast
Junior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2017
Grew too fast...high work demand, unreasonable expectation and inexperienced management, culture is good thoigh have many company events but no work life balance
Pros
Company events
High stress environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 September 2017
The managers lack any of the required personal skills which is very important for the morale of the employees and residents.No matter how hard you work to bring stuff up to standard that was not there before, one is not acknowledged or appreciated for it.
The only good thing I have gotten from working for this organization are the work relationships I have built.A typical day at work can be quite stressful and extremely busy.
Pros
Amazing residents, Great location, Im not there anymore
Cons
short staffed, poor management, low moral, over worked, no growth
Personal support worker,
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON27 July 2017
Typical day at work: went to work for 7:00 a.M. Continue working until 3;00 pm. Attending to the resident, bathing, assistant in dressing and undressing resdient. Listening to the comlaints, if any.

Through the years I learned to step out of myself and listen to the resident, I showed them love and compassion.

Management: thought I was one of the best psw, they knew. They trusted me with the resident, if there was a problelm I would try and solve the problem or bring to management.
The hardest part was lifting the resdient if they fell.
I love listening to the resident telling me stories of their past, who they were and what they learned
Pros
Good team
Cons
Sometimes double shifts
Garbage place, full of fake people and poor management
Junior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2017
Turnover is really high, only promote employees that suck up, very poor management, Crazy high volume with OT every single day, no work life balance. No training, yet there is full accountability from day one. They say that they support CPAs, but there is no time to study to become one. Management forces a culture of fear on employees.Stay away from this company. It is poison dipped in honey.
Loved working at Somerset Dallas Rd Victoria BC
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 May 2017
In the Years of working as a server for Somerset I grew to love my Co Workers as well as Management. I couldn't have asked for a better lot of people to work with and work for. The residence were also amazing. If you love Seniors and love Hospitality Amica Life Styles is definitely for you.
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
I never had any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amica Senior Lifestyles. Our community is ready to answer.