Amica Senior Lifestyles
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Amica Senior Lifestyles Employee Reviews

Okay work place better for people looking for a place to start

Level of care is very high considering it's a retirement home.Pay is very low for the expectations.My peers were excellent and mostly worked as a team.Management didn't seem to understand the job or have proper training.Staff is stressed and overworkedHigh turnover rate

Pros

$4 lunches

Cons

Low pay; no work life balance; managers don't understand the job they're supervising;

Favouritism and absent/uncaring management

Favouritism and absent/uncaring managementLack of advancement opportunitiesGeneral manager does not interact with residents or staff.Lack of dietary needs for seniors who have restrictionsNo appreciation

Pros

Elders

Cons

Management who sits in the office all day

terrible

you will regret working here. no doubt about it. incompetence from management. favoritism in hiring process for senior roles. absolutely useless HR. does not get any worse than this

Amazing coworkers but terrible management

Amazing coworkers, the RCP’s are always willing to lend a helping hand, and always go above and beyond to ensure I have support while working in the kitchen. However management is terrible. We’re always short staff, and management doesn’t care about your well-being at all. They’re only nice when they need a favour or need someone to cover a shift. As well as basic hygienic items aren’t available in my department. There’s no hand soap or dish soap in the kitchen. I went out and spent my own money and bought stuff for everyone to use.

Pros

Amazing staff and residents

Cons

Terrible management, always understaffed

Was a productive fun workplace

The positives to working at Amica is the Care Aide to resident ratio is low, but you are still worked off your feet being expected to work 4 roles in 1 which the pay rate doesn't match the expectations, the group benefits are great. Unfortunately management is no longer supportive and the treatment of employees if they have their own mind and thoughts are frowned upon and the employee is often black listed. Oh and don't dare be happy. A happy personality is not appreciated.

Pros

Benefits package

Cons

unrealistic expectations, poor management, overworked staff

If you want your life to be miserable apply here

Staff here have attitude I remember one of the concierge acts like they own the place or act like a manager. Lack of Customer service, no place for improvement, Saw someone hiding and texting, some of the management here have a BIG ego! always think they're in the top LMAO! also low salary rate lol, oh yea they gossip a lot and make fake stories. the only good thing about this place are the residents but it's so FUNNY how some of the residents don't like some of the staff and that staff still works there.

Pros

Residents are so kind

Cons

Low pay, No place to advance, fake co workers.

Worst place to trust and unqualified management

I worked 7 months full time as cook at Georgetown Amica and according to my contract I need to get a medical coverage which I never got.I was promised for raise but never got.Working with unprofessional and unqualified staffs were a quite challenging and stressful.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Unqualified staff

Great working experience

In my opinion, this is the best Retirement company to work for. I regret leaving Amica for a different opportunity as I quickly realized I had a far better setup here. Corporate management support and job advancement opportunities everywhere within the company. The philosophy is to promote leaders from within. Plenty of budget to give the residents exactly the experience they are looking for.(Food and beverage)

Amazing management but low pay

Night shift nurse - you're the only nurse on duty for the duration of 12 hr shift. This can be good , but sometimes stressful. Pay is low comparable to other companies for the amount of work being done. Only 4 full time positions available, so expect to only be casual until those positions are empty. The residents are amazing, and Amica always finds a way to keep them happy.

Pros

Cons

Low pay

Decent Job Poor Working Environment

Decent Job for those wanting a start in the health care industry. Employees often delegated jobs to others instead of doing it themselves. Patients affected dramatically, negative atmosphere surrounding care and assistance. Excellent management team flexible and are able to accommodate individual needs but unfortunately are unaware of the problems persistent within their home. Overall not a healthy working environment.

Pros

Good Introduction Into healthcare industry

Cons

Negative atmosphere, horrible working environment

Its an excellent starting point

I enjoyed my time working here and I thank each and everyone. Its an excellent care home. All staff I worked with are all very supportive . We worked as a team and each member is responsible of the other.

Pros

Very beautiful building

Cons

Too much perfectionism, faultfinding

Stressful, under paid, pad corporates pockets

Experienced being under valued. Residents pay way to much and staff under paid. your integrity gets tested daily by companies operational requirements

Pros

Residents

Cons

Corporate favoritism, residents and staff undervalued.

Decent place to work until a new building manger ruined the experience.

Uniforms are used so no need to worry about dress code. Most staff members were friendly and helpful. A great direct supervising manager, and a horrible building manager who did not keep in line with the company practices.

Pros

Free parking, benefits

Cons

Odd hours

It's a company that plays favourites

The workplace environment was toxic. It wasn't what you knew, it was who you knew. General Manager was good at sitting in his office looking at social media all day. Not very many coworkers would give anyone outside their department any "hello" or "hey", It felt like there was always a tension there.It was hard to see a more qualified, hard working, respected team member overlooked for a younger naive employee who got their job by batting their eyelashes. The residents were the ones who were the most effected - they could see the foundation crumbling under their once stable foundation. If the team members and managers could get rid of the gossip and favourtism, it could be a tolerable place to work. But it would take a much stronger manager and team for this to happen.I was thankful for a job during the pandemic.

Pros

Close to bus stop

Cons

Always added extra work to do to an already busy day

Great environment for nursing students

Amica is one of the healthiest working environments i've been able to work in. All health care team members get along, and theres a diversity of people at Amica. Since there's only one nurse in the building at a time, it helps nursing students gain confidence for time management skills and leadership skills. That being said because theres only one nurse, sometimes it can be hectic.

Pros

Work environment, management

Cons

Only one nurse

Dont work here

Don't work here unless you want to be unappreciated, taken advantage of and underpaid. Worst company ever. There is a huge staff turnover for a reason

Satisfying Place to Work

I worked at Amica Riverside in Windsor for a short time and I learned alot and liked it. In-house training was a bonus.At the time 2017/18 the workload increased quite rapidly and more nursing care residents were being admitted, took some adjusting, eventually ok.Work culture: some favouritism, (you get that anywhere though), some accepted bullying (was reported) by specific staff (that was a bit tough to deal with, at times)....most employees in all departments were team oriented and got alongManagement: nursing dept- fair and approachableDOC: at that time, a bit temperamentalGM: above average, down to earth and hands onPay: reasonable Facility: well maintained I enjoyed my time there, I should have stayed longer, I resigned for personal reasons🙂

Pros

Constant communication, staff meetings

Cons

Not enough to complain about

Productive and good place to work

One of the best place to start your career. Great colleagues, nice management. You should be passionate of caring elderly. Unionized workplace. $1/hr extra for night shift.

Zero star

Lies by supervisor on 2nd floor at unionville. Filipino trainer lie and gossip about you .Poor training .Low pay .Bad place for non Filipinos! !Toxic.

Pros

Residents are good

Cons

Lies, gossip, favouritism, fake smiles .Poor pay!

Meh

Fairly good pay since you can’t get tipped. Not terrible hours, latest I worked was 8:30-9. However management is terrible. Wouldn’t listen to staff when we voiced issues. Constantly understaffed and overworked. I know many people who worked 12hr shifts when they only agreed to 8. Went home crying a bunch lol

Pros

Fair pay, decent hours

Cons

Horrible management, constantly understaffed

Rpn

According to senior nurses new management took over in the Wellness Department, last year, and they were as confused as I was with some of the things happening. I didn't stick around long enough to become senior staff. Demands to accomplish multiple tasks in a shift but not given the resources to complete them. Lots of lip service saying that they support you but no follow through. New staff are are told to do things different ways creating confusion. The needs to the clients increase but the staffing has stayed the same. Many residents are admitted with little to no history, care plans or in some cases even knowledge that there is a new resident arriving causing chaos for the staff. You are begging for basic supplies (cups, applesauce, spoons, wound supplies, a working BP or thermometer, etc.) on every shift. Training and staff meetings are practically non existent. I never went to a fire drill or had a checklist for my training shifts. You need to clean up after yourself (cleaners are left for you to use) in the staff bathroom/lounge because housekeeping does not clean that area which leaves the bathroom disgusting because no one cleans up after themselves. Schedules are all over the place and not posted the required two weeks in advance causing stress to casual staff and work-life balance. Nursing staff is afraid to document truthfully (especially with injuries that are caused by residents ie: bites or scratches) because they get pulled in to managers office saying not to document and then when something happens they ask why behaviors are not documented or managers -

Pros

Fairly clean environment, Memory Care staff is the best!, Memory Care Activities are awesome!, Memory Care residents are well cared for.

Cons

No specific training or orientation model to follow causing confusion, High demands with low pay and support staff leaving residents to wait for care, High turnover rate and sick calls are not replaced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amica Senior Lifestyles. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement