Amica Senior Lifestyles Employee Reviews for Support Staff

Poorly Managed
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON20 March 2019
Residential Care Partners (PSWS) are expected to do hospice/palliative care, long term care, and memory care and a bunch of extras like dietary aide, housekeeping and pretty much anything else thrown onto our already hectic plate without so much as a thank you. Departments are over worked and under paid. No team moral. poorly managed.
Official response from Amica Senior Lifestyles
29 March 2019

I apologize that you feel unappreciated and would value the opportunity to hear from you directly to better understand your experience. I can be reached at v.owen@amica.ca.
-Valerie Owen, Chief People Officer, Amica Seniors Lifestyles

Unprofessional Environment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON17 October 2017
Horrible management. If you truly care about the elderly this is not a place for you to work at. Consistent concern about employees not doing their job was always brought to the attention of management but nothing was ever done. The pay is not worth the constant hassle and lies of better shifts and advancement.
Personal support worker,
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON27 July 2017
Typical day at work: went to work for 7:00 a.M. Continue working until 3;00 pm. Attending to the resident, bathing, assistant in dressing and undressing resdient. Listening to the comlaints, if any.

Through the years I learned to step out of myself and listen to the resident, I showed them love and compassion.

Management: thought I was one of the best psw, they knew. They trusted me with the resident, if there was a problelm I would try and solve the problem or bring to management.
The hardest part was lifting the resdient if they fell.
I love listening to the resident telling me stories of their past, who they were and what they learned
Pros
Good team
Cons
Sometimes double shifts
A typical night at work.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Markham28 July 2015
A typical night at work is coming on the floor to hear the report before starting my rounds to make sure all residents are in bed/their rooms and no immediate concerns are present. I then proceed to work on any paper work left and fill out the daily records. I go on my rounds three times a night and answer any call bells and attend to any emergency that happens during my shift. Around 6am i start to wake up, wash and dress a few residents to help the morning staff.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
working midnights, long travel time