Amica Senior Lifestyles logo
Amica Senior Lifestyles

Amica Senior Lifestyles Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Amazing management but low pay

Night shift nurse - you're the only nurse on duty for the duration of 12 hr shift. This can be good , but sometimes stressful. Pay is low comparable to other companies for the amount of work being done. Only 4 full time positions available, so expect to only be casual until those positions are empty. The residents are amazing, and Amica always finds a way to keep them happy.

Pros

Cons

Low pay

Great working experience

In my opinion, this is the best Retirement company to work for. I regret leaving Amica for a different opportunity as I quickly realized I had a far better setup here. Corporate management support and job advancement opportunities everywhere within the company. The philosophy is to promote leaders from within. Plenty of budget to give the residents exactly the experience they are looking for.(Food and beverage)

Decent Job Poor Working Environment

Decent Job for those wanting a start in the health care industry. Employees often delegated jobs to others instead of doing it themselves. Patients affected dramatically, negative atmosphere surrounding care and assistance. Excellent management team flexible and are able to accommodate individual needs but unfortunately are unaware of the problems persistent within their home. Overall not a healthy working environment.

Pros

Good Introduction Into healthcare industry

Cons

Negative atmosphere, horrible working environment

Its an excellent starting point

I enjoyed my time working here and I thank each and everyone. Its an excellent care home. All staff I worked with are all very supportive . We worked as a team and each member is responsible of the other.

Pros

Very beautiful building

Cons

Too much perfectionism, faultfinding

Stressful, under paid, pad corporates pockets

Experienced being under valued. Residents pay way to much and staff under paid. your integrity gets tested daily by companies operational requirements

Pros

Residents

Cons

Corporate favoritism, residents and staff undervalued.

Decent place to work until a new building manger ruined the experience.

Uniforms are used so no need to worry about dress code. Most staff members were friendly and helpful. A great direct supervising manager, and a horrible building manager who did not keep in line with the company practices.

Pros

Free parking, benefits

Cons

Odd hours

It's a company that plays favourites

The workplace environment was toxic. It wasn't what you knew, it was who you knew. General Manager was good at sitting in his office looking at social media all day. Not very many coworkers would give anyone outside their department any "hello" or "hey", It felt like there was always a tension there.It was hard to see a more qualified, hard working, respected team member overlooked for a younger naive employee who got their job by batting their eyelashes. The residents were the ones who were the most effected - they could see the foundation crumbling under their once stable foundation. If the team members and managers could get rid of the gossip and favourtism, it could be a tolerable place to work. But it would take a much stronger manager and team for this to happen.I was thankful for a job during the pandemic.

Pros

Close to bus stop

Cons

Always added extra work to do to an already busy day

Great environment for nursing students

Amica is one of the healthiest working environments i've been able to work in. All health care team members get along, and theres a diversity of people at Amica. Since there's only one nurse in the building at a time, it helps nursing students gain confidence for time management skills and leadership skills. That being said because theres only one nurse, sometimes it can be hectic.

Pros

Work environment, management

Cons

Only one nurse

Dont work here

Don't work here unless you want to be unappreciated, taken advantage of and underpaid. Worst company ever. There is a huge staff turnover for a reason

Satisfying Place to Work

I worked at Amica Riverside in Windsor for a short time and I learned alot and liked it. In-house training was a bonus.At the time 2017/18 the workload increased quite rapidly and more nursing care residents were being admitted, took some adjusting, eventually ok.Work culture: some favouritism, (you get that anywhere though), some accepted bullying (was reported) by specific staff (that was a bit tough to deal with, at times)....most employees in all departments were team oriented and got alongManagement: nursing dept- fair and approachableDOC: at that time, a bit temperamentalGM: above average, down to earth and hands onPay: reasonable Facility: well maintained I enjoyed my time there, I should have stayed longer, I resigned for personal reasons🙂

Pros

Constant communication, staff meetings

Cons

Not enough to complain about

Jobs at Amica Senior Lifestyles

See more jobs

Productive and good place to work

One of the best place to start your career. Great colleagues, nice management. You should be passionate of caring elderly. Unionized workplace. $1/hr extra for night shift.

Zero star

Lies by supervisor on 2nd floor at unionville. Filipino trainer lie and gossip about you .Poor training .Low pay .Bad place for non Filipinos! !Toxic.

Pros

Residents are good

Cons

Lies, gossip, favouritism, fake smiles .Poor pay!

Meh

Fairly good pay since you can’t get tipped. Not terrible hours, latest I worked was 8:30-9. However management is terrible. Wouldn’t listen to staff when we voiced issues. Constantly understaffed and overworked. I know many people who worked 12hr shifts when they only agreed to 8. Went home crying a bunch lol

Pros

Fair pay, decent hours

Cons

Horrible management, constantly understaffed

Rpn

According to senior nurses new management took over in the Wellness Department, last year, and they were as confused as I was with some of the things happening. I didn't stick around long enough to become senior staff. Demands to accomplish multiple tasks in a shift but not given the resources to complete them. Lots of lip service saying that they support you but no follow through. New staff are are told to do things different ways creating confusion. The needs to the clients increase but the staffing has stayed the same. Many residents are admitted with little to no history, care plans or in some cases even knowledge that there is a new resident arriving causing chaos for the staff. You are begging for basic supplies (cups, applesauce, spoons, wound supplies, a working BP or thermometer, etc.) on every shift. Training and staff meetings are practically non existent. I never went to a fire drill or had a checklist for my training shifts. You need to clean up after yourself (cleaners are left for you to use) in the staff bathroom/lounge because housekeeping does not clean that area which leaves the bathroom disgusting because no one cleans up after themselves. Schedules are all over the place and not posted the required two weeks in advance causing stress to casual staff and work-life balance. Nursing staff is afraid to document truthfully (especially with injuries that are caused by residents ie: bites or scratches) because they get pulled in to managers office saying not to document and then when something happens they ask why behaviors are not documented or managers -

Pros

Fairly clean environment, Memory Care staff is the best!, Memory Care Activities are awesome!, Memory Care residents are well cared for.

Cons

No specific training or orientation model to follow causing confusion, High demands with low pay and support staff leaving residents to wait for care, High turnover rate and sick calls are not replaced.

Satisfaction

Love the folks and the respect from coworkers.Having fun at work is beautiful!Can't wait to get back and see everyone.Always new opportunities arise.

Could be a great place with better dinig room staff and management

I looked forward to this job and was disappointed when I found out the dining room was a joke,nothing but middle aged,micro managing gossipy women and a few younger girls with cell phones attached to their heads Virtually no clue how to deal with an aging clientele. Talked to them as if they were children and just barged into their rooms without knocking when doing meal service. Thank you to the 3 decent people, though ,with whom I worked.And praise for the steps in protecting all who entered there with strict covid 19 procedures

Horrific management and unexperienced workers

Management bullies staff, staff can be manipulating if you aren’t part of the group and the staff often ignore the residents pleas for assistance. Under paid, over worked and staff are required to work in the dining room daily even though they are psws. All in all, until the manager is replaced, it isn’t the most ideal place to work.

Excellent management

Fast paced environment. Critical decision making while working with a great team. Management is so supportive and they are approachable when you need them.

21 May 2020
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review Amica. We appreciate your feedback!

Very professional and supportive working environment

Amica Senior Lifestyles is a really great place for anyone in Health Care to work. Staff at the location I am employed at are friendly, knowledgeable, supportive and collaborative. Management are eager to help you succeed, patient, kind, understanding, encouraging and overall very positive to be around. Endless opportunities for continued education throughout the year.

21 April 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Amica Senior Lifestyles. We are thrilled that you've had a positive experience.

No position advancement available

Amica is a wonderful place to work. I enjoy my team, we always pull together and get the all tasks done safely, efficiently . Managers are down to earth. However there is NO OPPORTUNITY for advancement, growth...Which is very unfortunate as you lose very hard working, reliable, passionate, honest employees. As they seek advancement elsewhere

6 April 2020
Hello, thank you for reviewing Amica. We are glad to hear that the dynamics of your team are strong.Our company prides itself on promoting 6 of 10 department leaders from within the company, and we have active programs including Emerging Leaders to assist our team members in growing.-Valerie Owen, Chief People Officer, Amica Seniors Lifestyles

All in all...no good place to work

They will require a ( trial shift) 4-6 hours and not pay you for it....this is against b.c.labor law. WARNING do not accept a trial shift here unless you ask is if it is a paid shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amica Senior Lifestyles. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement