Amica Senior Lifestyles Employee Reviews

Poorly Managed
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON20 March 2019
Residential Care Partners (PSWS) are expected to do hospice/palliative care, long term care, and memory care and a bunch of extras like dietary aide, housekeeping and pretty much anything else thrown onto our already hectic plate without so much as a thank you. Departments are over worked and under paid. No team moral. poorly managed.
Unfair treatment of the management to the staff members. Unsafe to work.
Dining Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 February 2019
It's not a good company to work with if you are looking for stable and permanent employment with a descent income. You need to bring your own working tools to be able to work properly. The management didn't care to the team member's complaints and grievances unless you are a friend of the managers. Lots of the employees are not happy, low morale and they are coming only because they need to earn money to bring foods for the family table.
Pros
Nothing is good
Cons
Working long hours without break time and no overtime pay
Amica deals with Seniors Lifestyle Living
Senior Executive Assistant to CEO/CIO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2019
This was a contract position. Everything about the company was fantastic, from management to switchboard. Very professional and helpful. Great atmosphere for employees. Fun!
Pros
Events
former employee
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON12 February 2019
I worked at Amica for a year as a concierge and the first thing I can say is the pay is terrible!!!, that is one reason why I left Amica. The management does not care about you at all especially if you do something wrong. The residents are lovely that was the only part of Amica I liked. My advice to you is look else where!
Pros
Residents
Cons
terrible play, terrible hours, terrible management
staff & residents Great !
Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 January 2019
good company, poor on-boarding ( assumed that YOU know every aspect of the position. ) management team very knowledgeable, help each other achieve goals. upper management too absorbed in their positions, not helpful. BEST ADVICE.....do NOT assume anything !!!
Pros
good staff
Cons
general manager
Not a great atmosphere..
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek16 January 2019
There is no such thing as confidentiality there.
Staff is constantly belittled by management, and everyone gossips non stop.
Management has no problems singling out a certain person in front of a crowd.
Servers are the worst treated staff body. They are always told to help out other departments but as soon as they are short staffed, no one is ever available to help.
The overall atmosphere is negative and anxiety-provoking.
Pros
Sometimes we get fed
Cons
Expected to work whenever asked.
Good Organization
Director of Care and Wellness (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2018
Good Support from Support/Head Office. Good Team overall. Culture is positive with very good Culinary Services and good Housekeeping Services.
Concierge Service are adequate however unavailable overnight.
Amica is a great place to work!
Life Enrichment Aide (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 November 2018
I have worked at Amica for several years and I have nothing but positive things to say. The residents truly make it an absolute delight. All the workers and the residents make the work place like home.
Great place to work!
Administrative Concierge (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 November 2018
I enjoyed working with the management and team at Amica. Very professional and personable.
The residents were the highlight of my day.
I would recommend anyone wanting to work at Amica to be prepared to work hard, be professional and know the meaning of confidentiality.
Excellent team work for a newly opened retirement community.
Resident Care Partner (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 October 2018
It is normal to have growing pains especially when a company just opened its retirement community- Amica at the Gorge. I commend all the team work of every department. We help each other and we go out of our way to not only help the residents but each other as well. We build each other's morale and support each other day by day.
Pros
Great Food! Did I mention great food? The company listens to their staff.
Cons
A lot of walking. The place is humongous!
I have a work life balance
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON17 September 2018
So helpful with my character improvement about the job. Wonderful location and bright interiors are nice to have, but in the end, your main concern will be the care you get and the attitude of staff. That's what puts Amica over the top. They make you feel special, significant. You know you are their first concern and they are eager to include you in their community.
Pros
Provide food
Cons
Flexible work hours
good environment
Assist residents (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 August 2018
i work at amica for almost 4 years , management is okay sometimes favouritism is displayed and you cant call in sick without been questioned alot and sometimes they will call you and ask you to come back to work because they couldnt find a replacement..There were no benefits for part timers
Pros
work load is not super heavy
Cons
low hourly rate
Fun, great atmosphere
Placement Student (Life Enrichment) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON1 August 2018
This is a 5 star retirement home. Residents pay a lot and will expect a lot! As long as you hear them out and make things happen, its fantastic. They are flexible on budget, open to ideas. The departments are not that cohesive though but the recreation department is phenomenal! Upper management from corporate seem hoity toity though.
Pros
Super duper recreation team
Cons
Driving a bus
over all good
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2018
no room for advancement. been there for 4. 25 years
a lot of work must be compassionate and willing to do a good job, respectful and kind. treat others with the same kindness you want to be treated.
not everyone pulls their weight yet get paid the same.
LOVE the residents.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
not everyone pulls their weight ( does their job)
Working with Seniors changes your life for the better
Concierge / Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 May 2018
The seniors help me see life in a different way and they are very hard to walk away from, every day feels like a new opportunity to learn more and improve. Unfortunately the company uses this to keep its employees, although very poorly paid, and a typical work day feels like performing under a microscope.
Pros
the seniors
Cons
the management
fun workplace
Part-Time Permanent (Dinning Room Server) (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 May 2018
great management at newmarket amica
i like how everybody work as a team
the most enjoyable part of the job is serving the elderly
everybody is very professional specially my managers and supervisor
friendly environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Erin Mills, ON1 May 2018
this is a good place to work at if you like to spend time with seniors. Amica, in my opinion, is a good company overall. the workplace is fun and people are always friendly
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
Great place to work for hands down
RPN (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON23 April 2018
Amica is a family environment. We all look out for each other. We all have such great appreciation for each other and our roles. The PSWs are wonderful and they take such pride to make sure the residents are cared for. I personally love working at Amica. Everyone including the residents are just so wonderful.
Concierge
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 April 2018
I love working at Amica. It can get really busy at times, but I can handle it.
One of the most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with the residents, and help them in anything they need.
I'm a casual employee, and I don't qualified for benefits.
Workplace culture is great, everyone is very friendly and helpful.
Great workplace great environment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON15 March 2018
Great place to work, very fulfilling job with the elderly. Amica maintains a very clean work environment especially in the kitchen and dining room. Like the uniforms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amica Senior Lifestyles. Our community is ready to answer.