Amica Senior Lifestyles

Working at Amica Senior Lifestyles: Latest Amica Senior Lifestyles Reviews

Canada192 reviews

residentseniorelderlystaffcareamazingteamnurse

okay

okay decent place. its health care so it is what it is morning shift is the best there's lots of Amin stafff at that time, the pay s fair for an entirety level job

Great place to work and grow your career

If you are passionate about the industry, this place has a lot of potential and learning to offer. Supporting staff and management is always there to help you during your ups and downs.

Insights into Amica Senior Lifestyles

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

All they care about is making money.

Worked here for just over a year, going to be leaving soon because hours are being cut. (I have less than 2-3 4h shifts biweekly). I am not a high school student, I cannot afford to be working so little, I have rent and groceries to pay for. They know the majority of us are high school students and likely wont form a union so are using that against those of us with higher wages, and forcing us to quit/find second employment. Dont get me wrong, I used to absolutely adore working here. I loved the residents and the staff, everyone was wonderful, but management cares only about money. I will truly miss the residents as you see them so often they become family, they deserve better treatment too, theyre getting robbed and mistreated. Im in school for nursing to help people from their homes. Amica is just another money hungry, soul-eating corporation and i am done with them. Thank you.

Pros

Free Food, Sweet Residents

Cons

Cheap Employers, No warnings about assault

Runs like long term with low pay

It is a retirement home and the pay is next to minimum while they work you harder than long term care home. The staff and residents are lovely but the pay just isn't worth it.

Not what it used to be

Great company when I started but a lot changed since the new ownership things are not the same. Lack of appreciation for hard work. Very fast pace and stressful place to work.

It changed a lot

The culture has not been the same as it was.And while I appreciate, anticipate, and expect that changes were going to happen, I noticed that the focus of the company shifted from caring about people to their Support Office team caring about their own metrics and KPIs, always at the expense of the employees that they should have been valuing. I noticed that the new regional leaders have poor people skills and many don't even understand the scope of our responsibilities in our residences. When you ask them a question, they won't help but send the question back to you because they want you to be more independent. However, this is problematic because in working in such a demanding and stressful industry, a leader ought to help despite how silly our request may seem.The recent choices the company has made in terms of promoting people are also concerning because capable and long-standing leaders in the residences are disregarded and told they "do not have enough experience" and the hiring manager would then pick someone who has only been in the organization for 2 months because they've known them outside of work or from a previous job. It really sends the wrong message to the rest of us who have given up so much of our time working for the company.

Beautiful facility bad place to work

The facility I worked at was great. I like my leaders and the people I worked with. But their head office will give you a headache.Lots of really good leaders quit recently.Headoffice management hires their friends over tenured internal candidate so lots of favoritism.So if you want to work frontlines, this is a good company. But if you want a higher position, go somewhere else because if you're not a friend of the directors, you won't get a promotion.

Sad to see them waste so much potential

Management just cares about the paychecks and filling up the waitlist to refill rooms that become unoccupied.If it were even decently staffed of qualified staff that want to be there it would be a great job to have. Unprofessional/uncaring management leads to all of the good staff leaving for better opportunities with higher pay and less stress.Fake chances of promotion keep some people there working hard, only to be disregarded in the end. This happens in EVERY department.This all takes its toll on the wellbeing of the residents living here, with numerous cases of their health being overlooked/skipped.All in all, it's a very disgusting establishment.

Pros

Some residents are lovely

Cons

You will be taken advantage of

Great experience

Love the environment and the people we have in the building Talking to people about their past and how they decided to come toAmica. For most it was tough to make the choice

Rcp (psw)

It is a good place to get your foot in the door as a start but as a long term career your better going somewhere else. Not enough staff and too many residents that need long term care to be in a retirement facility.

Benefits

Cons

Heavy work load, Understaffed

i was part time

no technical skills required juts basic handy man repair .It is better the person start there and move somewhere els to advance in their career but it is good to start

Poor management including head office

The GM in this building has changed over many times over the past 9 years (14 GMS). The management team is not supportive to its employees.It is sad that a place like this where kindness should prevail... That it does not.

Stressful and exhausting

No time breaks not enough staff! The staff is very friendly and it is a very clean building. The management is not very organized and staff are definitely under paid.

Pros

Awesome staff

Cons

Not recognized enough

poor management

Most days feel chaotic,& no one seems to care. Management doesn’t seem to value the culinary department. There is no positive outlook from food service staff. Very WRONG leaders in place!

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Everything else imaginable

Pressure all the way

Toxic environment to work especially if you are not a Phillipines because 95 percent of workers are the same language and country people.if you can't beat them you have to join them or become oppressed forever. Management don't care all they care about is to impress the families of their residents in order to keep them at the retirement home. Eye service is all they do once a resident family is around they put on fake smiles, character etc.

Concierge Role

They don't tell you how stressful this job is, if a resident goes down your fully responsible for their life - you at times have two calls at once from two residents and have to decide who is more critically hurt. They do not care about your outside life and will work you until your unable too anymore. The management is just poor, there is always a blame game going on. You get written up for calling in even with notice and having a valid reason.

Team work makes the dream work!

I liked it!! It was very friendly and kind and the residents were so kind and sweet! The food And activity’s were so fun and kept everyone entertained all day long!

Friendly atmosphere

All staff worked well together. Schedule changes were done relatively easy with staff and managers. Scheduling was flexible and days off were easily accommodated.

Challenging yet rewarding experience

Environment has changed dramatically in the last few years for the better. More collaboration through the multidisciplinary team. The task load can be challenging but overall great place to work. The company is very supportive of growth and development and encourages personal and professional goals. The front line team is amazing and it shows through their passion for caring.

Pros

Parking, Lunch, Yearly bonus

Cons

Long hours, large teams, heavy workloads

It's just ok

Working at Amica Riverside can be both rewarding and frustrating. The company expects you to give your all and go above and beyond but isn't willing to do the same for it's emoyees. Increases in job duties and responsibilities do not receive an increase in compensation. Pay increases are not given based on merit. Management on site, at the regional level and the corporate level do not understand the day to day challenges of front line staff. Their budgets are outdated and unrealistic for the times we live in.

Very political

Don't take it from me, ask a friend who has worked for this company before. Amica is full of politics. Management and Head Office only cares about what they believe is best for the company, even at the expense of the employees who make the company millions of dollars each year. They try there best to act progressively when it comes to modern social issues such as inclusiveness but don't actually follow though with it because of the "what's best for the company" mentality. Whenever someone in a position of power is let go because of inappropriate conduct, the employees get blamed for not coming forward with information sooner, but they don't put the onus on themselves to make better decisions at the top so that the employees are not faced with difficult situations. There are too many people in positions of power within the company that know how to tread the line of what's appropriate and what's inappropriate so that when they are caught, they have an explanation or they aren't held accountable for their actions.

Pros

Hard working employees

Cons

Shady people in positions of power

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amica Senior Lifestyles. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement