American Sugar Refining, Inc.

American Sugar Refining, Inc. Employee Reviews

Relaxing job hardly stressful

The company is really good at providing training for each individual machine. Daily job includes running your machine with maximum production. Pay is bomb!

Potential for Growth

A lot of opportunity for growth within this company. If your not ok with working long hours though this job is probably not the best fit for you. Union operation.

Insights into American Sugar Refining, Inc.

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Good entry level position

Good company, pays well and has decent benefits. Be prepared for 19-2 shifts. Pay scale between employees is kind of messed up. Have store room and forklift drivers making about the same as operators. The union is terrible.

A productive great place to work

This was a wonderful place to work. It was great working with management, production, and temporary employees. I am honored to have worked 16 years with such awesome people.

Pros

Small and family like, good pay and benefits.

Cons

Too much management recycling

Comfort of working with others

It's a nice place to work and a nice group of people to be a part of. The work force is helping along with the management staff. Also good job benefits

Pros

Free lunches and take outs

Cons

Good health care

Unsupported management team.

What is the culture of this company was one of collaborative support that allowed management Staff to thrive and succeed. However It is very clearly a culture of Me me me. The General worker also believes the management is not there for their support but rather Their reprimanding

Pros

Free samples

Cons

The boss

The wirse work place ever

I hope now one have to work at that place, out of 20 people u have one great person. When one person messes up all in that area have to pay, cause he didnt know how to do his job. Even if it is a different shift the job would be on hold until people that work hard come on shift to do the job cause they didnt want to.

Cons

Worse place i have ever worked

Great learning place

You will make good money, but you will pay the cost. They DON’T care about you or your family issues, they just want you to be at work 13 days straight or maybe 28 days 8-16 hours a day to get 24 hours off.

No free time

You work enough to never really see your family and never get more than 6 hours of sleep. Also they will schedule you to work on a weekend after working the whole week, but they won’t let you book a vacation on the weekend. There will be penalties for missing weekend shifts, so you can count on never having time to yourself without fear of losing your job pretty much.

Pros

Free sugar-loaded iced tea, The hot chocolate is actually decent though, Oh and you get a box of chocolates as a “Christmas” bonus.

Cons

Some shifts will be busy from start to end, and very stressful; other shifts everything will be down and you’re expected to deep clean, which can sometime go on for weeks at a time.

Productive and helpful work place.

I worked at corporate and free coffee and tea was nice. Hours were flexible. My boss was very supportive and understanding, they pushed me to learn a lot and gave me the tools to perform exceptionally.

Pros

Supportive learning environment.

Cons

Shared workspace.

Over worked mandatory overtime every weekend

If you have no life this place is for you messed up schedules that will leave you tired all the time , mandatory overtime even when theres no work just so the company can look good

Cons

No time off

Proceed with caution

I worked at ASR for 6 years before I decided to move on. I did not get fired; I decided to leave after being offered a better/safer position elsewhere with much better pay. Over time, the company has hired newer management and had a turnaround for the worst. The company prioritizes production above all else. They claim their number 1 focus is health and safety, but there is nothing healthy or safe about working mandatory 12 hours a day for 12 days straight while rotating between 3 different shifts every two weeks. All money, is not good money. Say goodbye to having any type of life while working here. Oh and Union?? Pssh, a joke. You are your own union. At the end of the day, if you kiss up to management, you’ll do fine and get away with a ton. If you speak up for yourself, be prepared to get the short end of the stick.

Benefits

Cons

Management, cleanliness, work culture, union, schedule

Stable company

They offer good compensation but they do not provide training for union workers which makes it difficult for them to advance in their careers. The company is stable.

The people you work with makes it fun to come to work, the job itself isn’t hard at all it’s the long hours that may be hard.

Good place to work! The money is there to make if you really want it and a very lucrative company. Nothing more or less to say basically if u like to make money and you like working with alot of people then Domino Sugar is the place for you!

Pros

making money

Cons

It's better than nothing. And fellow employees are great people

Bad working environment, No coulture of respect, even though we have a union it's almost like they don't exist. No pension, starting wage is only a little better than minimum wage. Management is always confused. 401k is horrible. Safety is horrible. If a brick fell from the roof and hit u in the helmet first thing is they want to drug test u even though it isn't your fault. Bottom line is if you're down on your luck and need something quick it's better than nothing. but this ain't the sugar house your father's, and grandparents worked at sad but true

Pros

Fellow employees were great

Cons

No pension, horrible wages, horrible union

It's a job

The payscale for millwrights is sub par.All they care about is the melt, 6 million pounds a day.Understaffed due to pay scale. It isn't like anything you would imagine.

Pros

Great medical benefits

Cons

Hotter than he!! Everything is sticky.

Good people to work with, high turnover rate this opportunities to advance

Good work is recognized, opportunities to learn new skills and build on experience , plenty of overtime. Management is overstretched due to high turnover .

Great place to learn

I worked for CnH sugar refinery. They gave me a chance to work hands on as an electrician and allowed me to continue my college education with flexible scheduling. It was a great stepping stone in my career to learn about 3 phase ac motors and control.

Pros

Shift flexibility, track for promotion

Lots of hours

Lots of hours. No time of. Supervisors is clueless. People come to work smelling like booze Some folks are lazy. Some sleep at work. Some people do work hard.

Pros

Pay check

Cons

To many hours

Management is terrible most are engineers with zero management skills

Management is a joke the hire from within managers . People who are engineers with zero management skills totally unprofessional. HR they're an even bigger joke . If you’re an AK or a rat you will probably love the place if you are a serious worker with getting your job done and supporting your family there are better places to work

Pros

Free parking and some good people you work with

Cons

A lot of rats and Ak management is a complete joke

Great group of people

I've never experienced such a great group of people. Everyone is so supportive of each other, supervisors, managers, directors and above all want to see you succeed and be happy with your job. Truly an exceptional place to work!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Sugar Refining, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare American Sugar Refining, Inc. with

Learn about American Sugar Refining, Inc. in popular locations

• American Sugar Refining, Inc.