American Iron & Metal Employee Reviews

Tres bien
mecanicien industriel (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 March 2019
Je pense que ce serait bien d'avoir un cheff mecano par quard de travail pour aider le superviseur de la maintenance
Cons
Les mecanos d'agence ( ils sont pas compétant )
Bonne compagnie
Journalier de production (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC18 February 2019
Ces vraiment une bonne compagnie beaucoup d'avantages et bon salaire.
Aim
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 February 2019
AIM is a growing scrap metal recycling yard. Working on the maintenance team was great. I gained numerous skills and abilities to build my confidence.
Pros
Lunch program
Cons
Health and safety
Co workers and management are unwilling to train newer people on anything other than general work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 January 2019
The management team claims to have your back until something comes up that requires them to actually do something. I was there for 1 year and within that time, despite staying late almost everyday and coming in on weekends no one was willing to teach me anything past the basic points and even just learning them was hard with the lack of leadership. Brought this up to my supervisor who told me that hed get me trained on the forklift, 4 months later still not a single word of training. The employees who have been there for years basically refuse to teach you anything because they’d rather have you do the hard work while they sit in the machines and drive around. When I tried asking my coworker what I should be doing during a maintenance on the machine I was working on he told me to go hide somewhere or something. Completely unprofessional company. The lunch program was the only decent part but even that was pretty much always chicken and salad. Forget about having juice with your lunch though because your coworkers take them from the fridge and bring them home and out in the factory with them. Also don’t leave anything in the fridge or in the change room that isn’t locked up, it’ll be gone by time you go back for it.
Pros
Lunch program
Cons
Lack of leadership and overall professionalism
Happiest I have ever been in 30+ years trucking
Lugger driver (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 December 2018
For the last 6 months since starting here I daily have to pinch myself that working as a lugger driver for american iron and metal isn't a dream. If you are a truck driver that enjoys a wee bit of physical work(chains/binders/tarping)combined with working with what has to be the friendliest and supportive of work mates/dispatchers then a.i.m. is the place for you!! Benefits after 90 days I believe are top notch. After 6 months their rrsp matching formulae is favourable. At 24$ an hour and overtime after 44 hours it is easy to see that a decent income can be had here. Regularly working 60 hours a week is easy when you love your job... 4$ a day for lunch prepared by an onsite chef is a wonderful added perk. Their onsite maintenance shop is staffed with talented friendly mechanics eagar to keep the equipment in good working order. Trucking for 30+ years I needed a change and I am so glad I did..
Pros
Numerous
Cons
Unprofessional attitudes from manager and foreman
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 December 2018
Not a bad place to work if you just want a paycheque but don’t expect to be treated with respect,you will know if you do something wrong because management and the foreman will definitely single you out over the radio.the manager and foreman both have very unprofessional attitudes and only care for making the company money.if you don’t play their game you won’t last long in this company,work ethic at aim means nothing unless your a brown noser.the pay is not good and the lunch program sounds great for 4 dollars a day as long as you don’t mind eating chicken everyday.i would not recommend working at this revolving door company,they just don’t care about people
Pros
Guaranteed pay
Cons
Revolving door company
High Expectations with little to no recongition.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON31 October 2018
Managment has no leadership skills, very unorganized and forgetful. Zero regard for public and worker safety as well disregard for environmental regulations. I have seen illegal activity authorized from upper managment as well as accepting stolen materials. This company is not a good place to be employed as the only good thing I can say is I never had a issue with being paid. They do provide a lunch at a cost of $3.00 a day however the cook has bad hygene and the food improperly handled.
Pros
They do insist on taking your vacation time every year but not together so like 2 weeks together.
Cons
Too many to list.
Over worked and under paid!
Logistics Coordinator/Dispatch (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 July 2018
They made it sound like a great place to work, until you get there and find out the dynamic.
Low end salary, horrible health benefits, poor attitude with co-workers.
Negative workers, bitter, and two faced. Drama and backstabbing evident across the board.

I lasted almost 3 weeks.... Dont waste your time!!!
Pros
Lunch program
Cons
People, benefits, salary
If they had more hours available to me I'd still be there
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 July 2018
It was a lot of hard work, but the people were fun, both customer and employees. Sadly my position didn't have any more hours available and I have a family to take care of, so I left to find a place that could offer more.
Pros
Cheap lunch program, fun enrivoment
Cons
over staffed so no extra hours available.
superb office for a metal recycling company, great experienced professionals and decent salary/bonuses
Senior Logistics (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 July 2018
I have been with AIM (headquarters) Montreal for more than 7 years, in Logistics Dept. I have to say this is the best metal recycling scrap company I have ever worked for. Office is superb considering we are in the metal industry. Great people to work with, Logistics Dept is a melting pot of races, it encompasses of more than 10 people from different countries under the wing of humorous, hard-working VP logistics. Such a great team. You will learn a lot and gain rich experience in terms of global/international trade and logistics (by truck, rail and sea/container). Decent salary, good seasonal bonuses and of course, fancy (restaurant-like) served lunches at the cafeteria subsidized by the company. People from different departments are also very helpful and cooperative.
Pros
too many to mention
Cons
a little far from my house (west to east end) but not a hinder
Comme en 1960
Électricien compagnon (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC10 June 2018
J'ai travaillé 3 mois pour cette entreprise au département électrique. Je ne suggère à PERSONNE de prendre un emplois pour cette compagnie. Le chef des électriciens fonctionne encore comme en 1960 soit à coup d'engueulade et de coups de pieds au c... Aucun principes de base de respect des employés... Et aucune esprit d'équipe... Bref ne perdez pas votre temps avec cet entreprise. Bonne chance!
Pros
Aucun!
Cons
Tout!
Pour débutant
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC24 April 2018
Excellent endroit pour débuter. Autre que cela, la charge de travail est normal, quoique des fois....
Pros
Assurance travail
Cons
Compagnie en évolution (J'espère)
Finance (Current Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC22 February 2018
Compagnie qui mériterais une mise au point. Les employés ont droit à des horaires variables tout dépendant du superviseur qu'ils ont. Aucune journée de maladie. Ce qu'y n'est pas pratique quand on sait que les médecins ne travaillent pas le soir.
Pros
Super bonne cafétéria à bon prix
Cons
Aucune journée de maladie
Bon endroit pour finir sa carriere de facon gratifiante
Magasinier/acheteur division garage (Former Employee) –  Montréal-est26 January 2018
Le genre d emploi qui te permet d utiliser les connaissances accumulées au cours des années.
Pros
Beaucoup d autonomie
A joy to work at
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 December 2017
I have been here for a short while. So far it has been a great place to work at. Pay is decent work hours are good overtime is there for the taking. Lunch at the yard for our chef during the week and pizza on the weekends.
Dispatch is easy to work with. Management is very accessible.
Work with them and they work with you.
Best place I have been at in my 30+ years or truck driving
Pros
Good equipment, lunch program, good management
Cons
Not enough bling in our trucks lol
Usine poussièreux et bypass des lois en santé et sécurité
Trieur (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC18 September 2017
Je n'ais jamais été aussi salle après mes quart de travail . Les douche étaient condamnés par manque de place. Pas de test de gaz pour les entré en espace clos et souvent les autres travailleur exécutait des travaux en hauteur sans harnais. Je ne recommande pas l'usine de Montréal Est ,
Pros
Rien
Cons
Poussière partout
Friendly Team Atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2017
American Iron and Metal LP is generous company with many perks, such as a meal plan and seasonal bonuses. There are many experienced workers from which to learn.
Pros
Lunch Program
Cons
Dusty
Fast paced, great co workers, 24/7
AIM (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 May 2017
Very fast paced work environment. Takes a special individual to keep up to the pace.

Management wasn't team focused.

Employees you work directly with are fantastic people.

Hardest part of the job was not being involved in major changes that reflected your job requirements. More often then not you were the last person to find out that you would be taking on a new task.

Management thought they could bounce people around by changing shifts, or positions without notice.
Pros
Lunch program, benefits
Cons
24/7 work, expected to answer calls & emails
interessant gsgrxch
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval-des-Rapides, QC19 April 2017
Une job très intéressante je trouve que sa ma l'air bien organisé
Pros
bonne embisnce
Cons
des long shift
Bonne esprit d'équipe
Journalier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 February 2017
Tres bonne esprit d'équipe jai apris a faire le melange de produit pour créer de la patte a soudure
Pros
Le travail d'équipe
Cons
Manque de travaille

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Iron & Metal. Our community is ready to answer.