American Income Life Employee Reviews

Found 165 reviews matching the search See all 2,814 reviews
excellent place to work
Benefits Specialist/ Insurance Broker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2019
coming from a sales background i would say this job is challenging but worth it. training is provided and you can learn how to make $1000 in a day. you make your own schedules and get to work with like minded people.
Pros
great incentives
Cons
gotta use your own car
Terrible
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 March 2019
If you're looking for a family friendly job, this IS NOT IT.

You are required to do hours and hours of training with no pay and then they just toss you out there in the world on your own with minimal practical skills
good product, poor work environment
Agent in training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2019
Long long days 10 am till 10 pm minimum. 6 days/week.
Learned that making money is not as important as my integrity.
Leaders here have zero people skills.
Good at first. Then honestly found most were bullies.
Hardest part of the job- beginning learning curve.
Most enjoyable part- talking to people and getting them what they need.
I was humiliated in front of the entire office and told by management I was making a 'bad life choice' (asked to not go to training as I had been crying- training was 1hr and repeatable)
Pros
possibility of good money
Cons
long hours- no integrity
ambiente seguro y comodo
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  toronto canada11 February 2019
en esta empresa cada agente trabaja sobre las horas que el o ella deciden, se trabaja por comisión
Pros
seguro medico
good job. bad management
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC11 February 2019
you are promised the world during hiring. Management is typical salesmen who can't tell the truth to save their lives. Advancement is not based on performance. It is based on kissing butts.
Pros
salary
Cons
management
Great Culture
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 February 2019
It really is an amazing place to develop sales skills and make a good living if you have time to grind and master your craft. If you are only in it half way... This wont be the place for you. Overall, a great place to work!
Pros
If you work hard you can make really good money
Cons
If you dont have a strong work ethic... This is not a good job
An overall helpful environment, with a cooperative and competitive energy.
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON4 February 2019
A typical day could mean coming in at 9AM, or after lunch depending on if you had appointments with union members or not. There were agency meetings and training sessions that we were recommended to attend. The management were helpful and generally cooperative. The culture was vivacious and sales driven. The hardest part of the job was booking enough appointments in a week to keep yourself busy. The most enjoyable part was not having to clock in and out, and deciding when you were going to head home for the day.
Pros
Some free food and prizes
Cons
A lot of extra work required to feel comfortable with the whole job.
Hard work will pay off
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 January 2019
not what I expected, after paying for courses and license I saw what the job actually entails. lots of "cold-calling", independent, long hours, commission based.
Pros
supportive
Not a preferred place if you are family oriented
Benefit Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2019
no work and family life balance. Need to work late hours to meet families and if lucky would end up with a sale. if not the workday is not fruitful.
Unlimited Opportunity
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS, Canada15 January 2019
I left an 18 year career in retail management and in 7 months with AIL I’ve received more praise, recognition and encouragement than I did in all 18 years put together. My new career has afforded me more time with the people that are most important in my life. I love to travel and when I was in my old job I was held back in the area of time and money to achieve that dream. By the time I reach 1 year with the company in May, I will have had 3 paid trips from the company and I personally get to choose my own pay checks here, so money is no longer an issue. I highly recommend working for this incredible company.
Pros
Travel. Money. Helping people.
Cons
Hard work, but nothing worth it is ever easy.
Would not recommend unless you are well prepared to make no money for many months
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 January 2019
I started at this company when one of the managers told me about how much money i would be making and ended up making next to nothing. My manager would sleep in and miss appointments which didn't allow me to advance at all. After i got a new manager they acted as if this wasn't the companies responsibility and it was my fault somehow. Very risky career choice in my opinion. Management doesn't care if you don't make money since they aren't paying you a wage unless you make a sale
Pros
Flexibly schedule
Cons
bad management, all commission, poor training
Good stepping stone
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2019
Good stepping stone. Managers are very helpful in teaching you the little tricks in sales. Great place to learn and develop your own businesss. Lots of leads just have to make the sales.
Dont do it
Licenced Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 December 2018
You are responsible for getting your own clients through referrals etc.

You have to follow a script that you are required to memorize and you take your laptop to all appointments to do a presentation.

You will get calls from your team leader to check up on you.

Commission pay

I spent more money on expenses such as food and gas than I made, and I was doing pretty well so...basically it is not worth it.
Pros
Get to know about life insurance
Cons
Spend more money on expenses than you make in commission
Fast Paced
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 December 2018
Need to be a self starter and good at sales. Management will provide training, but all expenses incurred on your credit card. Very process driven but can be difficult to maintain
If you dont have 10 years to commit and the leisure of not needing an income for sometimes months at a time, believe me don't waste your time.
Agent and Hiring Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia26 November 2018
Worked for AIL for almost 2 years as a field agent and hiring manager. Don't be fooled by the interview, this is a 100% commission sales position from the minute you sign on the dotted line to be a captive agent with them.

If you're alright with a commission only position, it's good in the sense that management trains you very thoroughly and will help you move through the ranks as quickly as they can. It starts to seem disingenuous as you realize that management can only keep their given titles if they enlist and are able to promote a certain amount of agents within a set amount of time.. provided their agents write the amount of production necessary to recieve a promotion. Your manager will either push you as hard as possible to reach those numbers or simply give you pieces of their business to submit so they can hit their quota.

Pros:
-Potential to make alot of money if you have time to invest and are great at faking concern for people.
- Once past a certain point in training there is lots of flexibility with when you want to work. You're making your own schedule.

Cons:
- Learning the logistics of why the company operates the way it does leaves you morally divided. The hiring team and senior agents do whatever they can to meet their code requirements and production levels, and I mean whatever. Watching people who have no business being hired into such a ruthless sales position is disheartening when it puts most if its hires in a compromising financial state for the first year, if they even make it to that. Single mothers, non English speaking, anyone who has
  more... a pulse, they don't care. They will hire you as you're just their next code, bonus and agent to "promote". If you can accept all of this then it may work for you.  less
Pressure to Upsell!
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2018
You are pressured to upsell all the time and have to give an account of your time by entering your activity in their computer app. You are a captive agent so you don't get to keep your clients and you can only sell their products. There is a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle. There is an opportunity to earn a lot of money however you will be on the road a lot. When they have their meetings with agents, it is usually finished in the middle of the afternoon so when you have to go and see clients you're hustling through traffic! By the time you're done, you are coming home late at night. If you complain, they say you're not working hard enough.
Pros
Great Training
Cons
Long Hours, Micro management of your time, Commission Sales Only.
Not Fantastic - Sales
Licensed Life Insurance Sales Agent (Sales) (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 November 2018
Long hours 6-7 days a week, traveled 2 hours each way to location given to cover. leads generated by company were lacking as we were trying to sell funeral benefits to people who already had adequate coverage being retired GM employees
Huge amounts of opportunity for growth and advancement!
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 November 2018
Work with American income for over 7 years out of Halifax NS at the SK agencies office.

I left a teaching position to join the company in hopes of a better life and haven't regretted it once! Its challenging, its rewarding both financially and intrinsically! The skills and relationships I've developed are invaluable.

If you have the work ethic and desire to succeed its a great place!
Pros
Income, Freedom, Schedule, Growth
If you want opportunity over security
Sales agent (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS1 November 2018
I have been working here a few months. I had a few friends who were enjoying their jobs and enjoying the work and making good money so I spoke to some of the managers and was hired. Its full commission and I am fine with that, I was looking for something that I could work hard and move ahead. I was sick of not advancing at my last place of work. If you do the work and follow the training you will succeed. Its perfect for me because I'm ambitious and want to make a lot of money, this for sure wouldn't be for everyone.
The management are very good at what they do. The top salesman in the whole company works at the same location. The work culture is fun and progressive.
Pros
great training and management
Cons
Not for everyone, gotta be ready to work
Life Insurance Agent
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON22 October 2018
Contact client referrals and book appointment to discuss products, meet with the clients and go over health issues and what they are looking for in a policy.
Cons
Cold Calling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Income Life. Our community is ready to answer.