American Income Life Employee Reviews

Found 155 reviews matching the search See all 2,662 reviews
Unlimited Opportunity
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS, Canada15 January 2019
I left an 18 year career in retail management and in 7 months with AIL I’ve received more praise, recognition and encouragement than I did in all 18 years put together. My new career has afforded me more time with the people that are most important in my life. I love to travel and when I was in my old job I was held back in the area of time and money to achieve that dream. By the time I reach 1 year with the company in May, I will have had 3 paid trips from the company and I personally get to choose my own pay checks here, so money is no longer an issue. I highly recommend working for this incredible company.
Pros
Travel. Money. Helping people.
Cons
Hard work, but nothing worth it is ever easy.
Would not recommend unless you are well prepared to make no money for many months
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 January 2019
I started at this company when one of the managers told me about how much money i would be making and ended up making next to nothing. My manager would sleep in and miss appointments which didn't allow me to advance at all. After i got a new manager they acted as if this wasn't the companies responsibility and it was my fault somehow. Very risky career choice in my opinion. Management doesn't care if you don't make money since they aren't paying you a wage unless you make a sale
Pros
Flexibly schedule
Cons
bad management, all commission, poor training
Good stepping stone
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2019
Good stepping stone. Managers are very helpful in teaching you the little tricks in sales. Great place to learn and develop your own businesss. Lots of leads just have to make the sales.
Dont do it
Licenced Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 December 2018
You are responsible for getting your own clients through referrals etc.

You have to follow a script that you are required to memorize and you take your laptop to all appointments to do a presentation.

You will get calls from your team leader to check up on you.

Commission pay

I spent more money on expenses such as food and gas than I made, and I was doing pretty well so...basically it is not worth it.
Pros
Get to know about life insurance
Cons
Spend more money on expenses than you make in commission
Fast Paced
Supervising Agent (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 December 2018
Need to be a self starter and good at sales. Management will provide training, but all expenses incurred on your credit card. Very process driven but can be difficult to maintain
If you dont have 10 years to commit and the leisure of not needing an income for sometimes months at a time, believe me don't waste your time.
Agent and Hiring Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia26 November 2018
Worked for AIL for almost 2 years as a field agent and hiring manager. Don't be fooled by the interview, this is a 100% commission sales position from the minute you sign on the dotted line to be a captive agent with them.

If you're alright with a commission only position, it's good in the sense that management trains you very thoroughly and will help you move through the ranks as quickly as they can. It starts to seem disingenuous as you realize that management can only keep their given titles if they enlist and are able to promote a certain amount of agents within a set amount of time.. provided their agents write the amount of production necessary to recieve a promotion. Your manager will either push you as hard as possible to reach those numbers or simply give you pieces of their business to submit so they can hit their quota.

Pros:
-Potential to make alot of money if you have time to invest and are great at faking concern for people.
- Once past a certain point in training there is lots of flexibility with when you want to work. You're making your own schedule.

Cons:
- Learning the logistics of why the company operates the way it does leaves you morally divided. The hiring team and senior agents do whatever they can to meet their code requirements and production levels, and I mean whatever. Watching people who have no business being hired into such a ruthless sales position is disheartening when it puts most if its hires in a compromising financial state for the first year, if they even make it to that. Single mothers, non English speaking, anyone who has
  more... a pulse, they don't care. They will hire you as you're just their next code, bonus and agent to "promote". If you can accept all of this then it may work for you.  less
Pressure to Upsell!
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2018
You are pressured to upsell all the time and have to give an account of your time by entering your activity in their computer app. You are a captive agent so you don't get to keep your clients and you can only sell their products. There is a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle. There is an opportunity to earn a lot of money however you will be on the road a lot. When they have their meetings with agents, it is usually finished in the middle of the afternoon so when you have to go and see clients you're hustling through traffic! By the time you're done, you are coming home late at night. If you complain, they say you're not working hard enough.
Pros
Great Training
Cons
Long Hours, Micro management of your time, Commission Sales Only.
Not Fantastic - Sales
Licensed Life Insurance Sales Agent (Sales) (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 November 2018
Long hours 6-7 days a week, traveled 2 hours each way to location given to cover. leads generated by company were lacking as we were trying to sell funeral benefits to people who already had adequate coverage being retired GM employees
Huge amounts of opportunity for growth and advancement!
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 November 2018
Work with American income for over 7 years out of Halifax NS at the SK agencies office.

I left a teaching position to join the company in hopes of a better life and haven't regretted it once! Its challenging, its rewarding both financially and intrinsically! The skills and relationships I've developed are invaluable.

If you have the work ethic and desire to succeed its a great place!
Pros
Income, Freedom, Schedule, Growth
If you want opportunity over security
Sales agent (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS1 November 2018
I have been working here a few months. I had a few friends who were enjoying their jobs and enjoying the work and making good money so I spoke to some of the managers and was hired. Its full commission and I am fine with that, I was looking for something that I could work hard and move ahead. I was sick of not advancing at my last place of work. If you do the work and follow the training you will succeed. Its perfect for me because I'm ambitious and want to make a lot of money, this for sure wouldn't be for everyone.
The management are very good at what they do. The top salesman in the whole company works at the same location. The work culture is fun and progressive.
Pros
great training and management
Cons
Not for everyone, gotta be ready to work

Want to know more about American Income Life?

Ask a question
Life Insurance Agent
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON22 October 2018
Contact client referrals and book appointment to discuss products, meet with the clients and go over health issues and what they are looking for in a policy.
Cons
Cold Calling
work ethic and a grinders mentality is required
Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 October 2018
AIL was a great learning experience for me. If you want to learn what the harsh reality of sales is, and test your grit, you will be able to do both of those here.
Pros
opportunity to make lots of money
Cons
it takes a certain type of person to fully subscribe to their ways.
it was OK
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 October 2018
Up in the air mostly, some very nice people just not what I had expected or hoped for. If you are a very independent go getter this would be for you, however it was just not a good fit for me. They do provide you with the guiltiness for and the coursed to complete the training.
This company is not what they say it is.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Niagara region16 October 2018
This company promises things to its employees and people who buy the policies but do not provide what is promised. Trying to get in contact with someone about a concern is impossible.
The phone people are rude and evasive. The supervisors never return calls or emails.
This company is a scam.
Do not walk, RUN from AIL!!!
Pros
Cons
Total scam
Good company to learn but no base salary
Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Waco, TX1 October 2018
This company provides good benefits to clients but is all "lead" based. No base salary to keep employees engaged.
This company requires agents to be very aggressive and persuasive. This is very hard to do in this days economic climate. A typical day would be seeing 3-5 clients with perhaps one actually purchasing and/or providing new leads. A good opportunity to learn the importance and value of life and income replacement plans and the benefits to the client.
Pros
workplace culture collegial, good benfit plans for clients
Cons
long hours, difficult to obtain leads
not a great place to work
Benefits specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 September 2018
cold calling people sucked and they often wouldn't show up for appointments booked with the company. The training time is exceedingly long where another co-worker drives around with you watching you sell insurance.
Invent your own future
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 September 2018
This company taught me so many lessons in leadership, management, and sales. The culture was incredibly competitive, intense, but at the same time everyone helped each other. Family oriented is the best way to describe it. Your pay is a direct reflection of your efforts. Most enjoyable part was getting to surround myself with amazing driven people.
Pros
Pay, Travel, People
Great experience
Licensed Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 September 2018
This company is a really incredible opportunity for the right person. If you are dedicated and personable and willing to really put yourself out there, there's potential for a lot of money. I unfortunately wasn't one of those people, but the atmosphere and work ethic is unlike any other. 10/10 would recommend to the right personality.
Insurance agenrt
life and accidental insurance agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 September 2018
100 % commission based operation.
very high turn over rate as for employment (usually less then 3 months with no income )
Very poor management support and training
Long Schooling and testing process with very little result ! this is definitely not a career by any means.
great people to work with
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2018
need to be high self motivated,
able to handle precise information correctly,
ability to keep calm in high pressure situations
always keeping a positive attitude

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Income Life. Our community is ready to answer.