American Financial Network Employee Reviews

Great Place for a Self Starter
Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CA25 March 2019
AFN is a company that truly promotes an independent work environment. While employed as an L.O. I did not hear or see any negative or racial slurs of any such. The branch manager was Asian at the time and the sales manager was Hispanic as well. I would never tolerate bigotry of any kind from anyone, after all it is wrong and hurtful. I am Hispanic, a minority as well. I have managed to stay in touch through out the years with AFN employees from my tenure there and they are fun, helpful and kind group of people. Moving on, the Chino Hills branch provided me the support I needed to perform and produce a solid income.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Great company
Sr. Mortgage Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CA28 February 2019
Our team was like family. I appreciated our branch. Our Branch stayed together close knit since 2009 when I started with them and were employed by various companies at different times. So we were Home lending, VIP Mortg, AFM, Trust One. Ect, But always the same branch.
Pros
Strong Corp team
Good Company bad Boss
Assistant Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD6 February 2019
I worked for a family friend as his LOA. Great company, shady person. He worked out of his home and I'm sure broke plenty of laws. But the company itself, loved them!
Pros
Love the company and employees, management, etc
Cons
My Boss
Excellent Job
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CA5 February 2019
The staff was amazing. Everybody from the owner on down through management t and leadership was positive, helpful, and encouraging. Telephone based sales is a specific skill. I prefer in person interactions.
Pros
Compensation, Bonuses
Cons
Phone sales
Varies greatly depending on which branch you are in
Mortgage Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX30 January 2019
The company really preaches culture but when it comes down to it, management continually disappoints in the sense that they tell you what you want to hear but they don't walk the walk,
Pros
Lots of different loan products available
Cons
Poor management and unrealistic expectations
Jr Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Downey, CA21 January 2019
On a typical day i will call employers to follow up on verification of employments. Verification of employments are used to determine if borrower qualifies and if so for how much. Updating extension and contact list, as well as assisting the Loan Processor.
Pros
Lunch on your birthday
Nice work environment
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CA10 January 2019
The management at this company was very hands on and made themselves available to the employees. Great benefits including medical, vacation and sick time.
Still employed
Sr. DE Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Brea, CA19 November 2018
Management is great, understanding and knowledgeable. Everyone treats the others like family and with respect. The team is a true team environment willing to help each other.
American Financial Services
Senior Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CA5 November 2018
American Financial Services was a great company to work for. American Financial Services were always updating the loan processing system to stay on top of customer service. American Financial Services was also dedicated to their employees work enviroment
Pros
great people
Cons
not enough work
Fast-paced work environment
Client Services Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CA24 October 2018
Gave me the opportunity to learn about finance; however, it is a very fast paced work environment. There is constant change in management and staff. There's no stability
Pros
Continuous learning opportunities
Cons
No room to grow
Great environment but underwriters need more training
Loan Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH15 October 2018
Great management, great pay. The only issue is that the underwriters were not set up to be successful in the purchase market. They were a refinance trained team, and were completely out of the loop when it came to updates that had taken place over the past few years. Also, they were defensive instead of working as a team to understand these changes and to get down the basics down for day 1 certainty and account verifications conventional guidelines for gift funds and net proceeds. This is a disservice to all employees but also to any customer that would put trust in this company. These updates save time for not only the processors, but the underwriters. Not paying attention to updates in the industry is no way to do business, but it looks like they have hired someone to catch them up to date. Hopefully this gets better for future employees.
Pros
Supportive management, flexible hours
Cons
Not current with industry updates
Poor upper management
Sales (Current Employee) –  Florida7 October 2018
Team culture is all a façade. Upper senior management has no clue on day-to-day operations they were more concerned with how they Look to the outside. Very phony not sincere and do not care what they need to do to get the outcome that they’re looking for they only want to recruit at any cost there is nepotism for family and friends rest of the staff is just there to work.They say they care promote team building but in the end it really is about their bottom line don’t let anybody fool you.
Pros
Cons
Insincere
Great benefits
SENIOR LOAN PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA1 October 2018
The company offered wonderful benefits but the company did not have good branch manager. Management would not keep conversations private and if you went to management with concerns you were immediately reprimanded. Loan officers were allowed to bully the support staff without any repercussion.
Good company but poor management
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Florida27 September 2018
Poor management team that doesn't keep the promises they make during the hiring process and even after. There is not a good onboarding program for new employees, give you one day of training on different sites used and then expect you to do everything else on your own. Leads given are only those with poor credit.
Productive and flexible
Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CA18 September 2018
My office was relaxed and casual. Very high stress and busy. I learned that no two files are the same. Every situation is different. Hardest part of the job is getting the borrowers to provide items needed. Most enjoyable part of the job is funding the loan and knowing the excitement and or relief from the borrowers.
Consistently Inconsistent - SkySong Branch
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ4 September 2018
Constant changes to the comp plan, inconsistent marketing which was not structured in accordance to the branch manager's plans to create healthy profit margins. Attempted forcing loan officers to suggest specific loan programs which were better for the branch but completely disregarded the best interests of the customers.

During my time of employment we had reached almost 40 loan officers, a few weeks later there were less than 15, which should provide a good indication of how poorly planned and executed this branch was from the beginning. (they'd set daily goals, then give excuses as to why the phones weren't ringing, why we didn't have leads)

The production managers, processors and loan set up people worked with what they could which wasn't much but they were all helpful and kind.

I believe these branches are run like a franchise so this review is specific to my experience at the SkySong location.
Pros
Ping pong and a putting green, great for the majority of time without leads.
Cons
Poor branch management, lack of leads, bi-polar meetings
Great Culture and Workplace
Post Closer (Former Employee) –  Brea, CA2 September 2018
Highly recommended. The owners of the company are hands on with the employees. Great Benefits as well as work culture. When business was in high demand, the work environment was fast paced but was still in relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
Work Culture
Snacks
Post closer liaison between investor (Former Employee) –  Brea, CA13 August 2018
They would have a fridge full of snacks and we have had larger snacks provided throughout the day. Work environment was very pleasant, our team worked very well with each other.
Nice company atmosphere
LOAN ORIGINATOR/OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CO29 July 2018
Good management platforms in place around the country, with strong structured teamwork. All processes in place for quality loan closings. Excellent human resources, with the applicable tools for success.
Pros
Benefits package
good company
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH17 July 2018
strong balance between work and personal life. honest , fair company. strong leadership from CEO, honest in dealings with customers. opportunity for unlimited earnings. very tough cold calling sales

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Financial Network. Our community is ready to answer.