American Express

Clear
4.0Pay & benefits

Found 102 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,709 reviews
expressamericancanadacentrebalancecardcultureglobal

I really enjoyed working here. Management is very helpful. Hours are flexible. The pay could be better. But the commission is pretty fair. Awesome colleagues.

I am a contractor

As a contractor a lot of benefits do not apply to me.I have been working at AMEX for a long time because of the people (i.e. my co-workers, and management).

Insights into American Express

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment

Bonne boîte si vous un poste qui n'est pas en lien direct avec le client

les postes en contact direct sont très mal payé et on attend beaucoup de vous.. on attends que voua vous exécutez comme un petit robots tout sage..je pense que ai vous avez un autre poste ds les bureaux a dicter les lois.. sa peut etre une bonne boite...

Felt like I was thrown to the wolves

Not for me. Trainers were good. But after that it felt like you were on your own. Too many cranky people and not enough support. Benefits were good but you had to pay…..works for some people. Just not for me!

AMEX review

Working at AMEX is an overall ok experience, it seems that your growth within the company is very limited. It frustrates me that we are constantly pushed to go above and beyond for clients when the salaries they are paying out are incredibly low!! the bare minimum salary should be 47,000 plus shift premiums on top as well.. The bonus structure is also terrible! You are always being pushed to sell more and more and getting crumbs back in commission.. However, there are some good benefits at AMEX such as the free food credit everyday, Nice colleagues to work with, discounts on travel, and good. benefits.. Overall AMEX is a good stepping stone into the industry..

Best work culture in North America

Best place to work! I am always excited to go into the office and work and meet everyone! People are very nice, the company comes up with exciting events and employee engagement programs

Pros

Free lunches and best management

Cons

Base salary can improve

Great

Great place to work. fair pay and excellent benefits. New Amex flex gives employees the freedom to work from anywhere. Need more employee perks in Canada.

It was very mid.

My overall experience was okay. I learned a new skill. The organization as a whole was why this workplace rates so low in my opinion. The travel program is brand new and due to this, the managers are incredibly unprepared and there arent enough direct policies and procedures in place to protect employees. I basically sat their all day and advised customers that they could not get a refund on their overly expensive airfare. Not a good job for anyone who doesnt have shoulders made of stone. The GDS system used to book airfare hotel and car services, are AWFUL. they are incredibly prone to freezing, glitching through literally every process, and isnt used entirely streamlined. Its just a very mid workplace... My colleagues were the best part of working there. Compensation is also disappointing for the scope of the job. You are basically expected to do a billion things. The bonus structure is incredibly unobtainable, even if they say it isnt and even if you reach the highest tier by some miracle, you wont even be getting that much of a bonus. An incredible program, that could be so much better if AMEX had given it more time to brew before launching. Simply, unorganized.

Pros

Colleagues, work from home

Cons

Organizational skills, Software programs glitch and freeze, bonus structure

Overworked and underpaid

Overworked underpaid. On call during some weekends and you only find out the day of if you are needed to work. Salary is almost poverty level. Always pushed to sell sell sell with no commision.

Good learning experience but lacks work-life balance

The pros include the work-from-home environment and the workplace culture. The trainers are all amazing too! However, the training was extensive but I would have liked to do more calls for practice rather than classroom work. You don't get to choose your shifts which is a problem if you are looking for flexibility with your schedule. The hardest part of the job is not knowing where to find the information for cardmembers. Overall, the job is just okay but doesn't pay enough money for the high expectations.

Pros

Work from home, friendly trainers, and leave work (for the most part) on time every day.

Cons

Low salary and high expectations and goals to meet

Not recommend

Very busy and stressful. Worked with team, but not friendly at all. Working weekdays, weekends and holidays like Christmas, New year’s day. Working schedule was very awful.

Don't work at Amex Canada if you're ambitious

Amex Canada is mostly mid-management (i.e. Manager/Sr Manager) with very limited upward movement. Most people stay at their level all their careers or 10-15 years minimum. Management love to promote the "linear" career model as it's the only one they offer. Not that I'm opposed but it does lead to churn. It also leads to disenfranchised among the ambitious. Tenure is very high (a positive sign) but I found this was actually a disadvantage that contributed to the lack of breadth in leadership. They don't understand the world outside their walls - just ask most people that work in business. Women are vigorously promoted and championed and depending on which team you're with, outnumber the men by a wide margin. Culturally a very competitive work environment and annual raises are discussed amongst the people-leaders with each having to out-compete others for raises. While the company believes this encourages collaboration - this is counterintuitive and results in the opposite happening. I tend to lead with a servant style and want to support others but this was frowned up by my management ..."you share too much" was a frequent refrain. I didn't choose to leave when I did but it was in the cards. If they weren't one of few companies that offered remote work I would have been gone long before.

Pros

Optics - strong international brand

Cons

Very limited career opportunities, relatively low pay compared to the banks and other card network or payment companies.

A lot to do with less pay

CFE pressure, thousands things to remember and be updated every single day. Pay just 15$/hr can pay rent with that.. growth is very limited...Schedule given as they want.. hours as bussiness needs! Ppl come and go! Zero job security! In Simple words "low paid call centre with high pressure" They use people and throw them a bunch of crazy women's working as team coaches!

Pros

Work from home and they refund for internet!

Family oriented

Very good place, friendly helpful and good work life balance. Shift are though off. Management care about their employees. Good work benefits and fair pay

Awesome benefits, great coaches and support

I would go back in a heartbeat, although very fasted paced you get great support from experienced agents and coches. You feel like being part of a big family.

Pros

Benefits, corporate environment, rotation scheduling, performance bonuses

Cons

Long commute (downtown Montreal)

Great place to work. Not a growth company

Canada is a satellite office for technology. Investment has been limited in the last five years. Great salary and benefits. Colleagues are supportive.

Pros

Fairness and collaboration

Good Work life Balance

Good Work Life Balance. Compensation is lacking, despite extremely aggressive targets. Need to significantly over achieve in order to have a decent take home.

You have to be a self motivator

Very competitive, fun meeting merchant. Work life balance. You have to be a self starter. Enjoyable staff, very independent. Great compensation program.

Pros

Work life balance very independent

Cons

If you don’t go out you will not make money

Ambiance de travail formidable

Ambiance amusante tout en restant sérieux. Horaires flexibles. Compréhensifs.

Your first objective must be adapt to change

Their unique priority is customers, so quality is what you offer them. Not quite sure how they evaluate you, since goals and standards are not rated with you when they give it to you.

benefits

Cons

really stressful and demanding

Great team culture

Good work-life balance Competitive base salary Good potential to earn high commission Leadership needs to invest in more support and promote empowerment for employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement