American Express

American Express Employee Reviews

Found 365 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,251 reviews

Insights into American Express

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose

Strong Senior Leadership & Overall Culture

Good culture overall with plenty of social groups to join based on your interests/lifestyle.You stay busy, there's no job that's easy, but you are made to feel appreciated for the most part and can be frequently rewarded with perks. Just never forget you are working for a truly international company with an eye on the bottom line.

Pros

Good culture, Strong senior management, typically rewarded for a job well don

Cons

When the 'world' gets tough, so do certain jobs which can turn a typically nice environment upside down

Not recommend

Very busy and stressful. Worked with team, but not friendly at all. Working weekdays, weekends and holidays like Christmas, New year’s day. Working schedule was very awful.

IT is run by an organized group actively pushing out legacy managers

IT is being overrun by an obvious group of managers who refuse to collaborate with anyone outside their group. Processes suffer and the culture is mired in back-stabbing, mistrust. Managers who are outside this circle have a target on their back, there is a concerted effort to ruin them politically, and replace them with cronies of the 'insiders'. However, the insiders are extremely competitive amongst themselves, also do not collaborate and their teams only react to crisis. Management has created such a pervasive culture of mistrust and heavy handed/ top down rule - that individual employees are not empowered to collaborate or take initiative to solve problems. Everyone waits for a crisis, for management to swoop in and lead the firefighting.

Pros

Outside of IT, the company culture seems positive, fun, collaborative and VERY CREATIVE.

Cons

political back-stabbing, no empowerment, no collaboration, mistrust between IT teams

Don't work at Amex Canada if you're ambitious

Amex Canada is mostly mid-management (i.e. Manager/Sr Manager) with very limited upward movement. Most people stay at their level all their careers or 10-15 years minimum. Management love to promote the "linear" career model as it's the only one they offer. Not that I'm opposed but it does lead to churn. It also leads to disenfranchised among the ambitious. Tenure is very high (a positive sign) but I found this was actually a disadvantage that contributed to the lack of breadth in leadership. They don't understand the world outside their walls - just ask most people that work in business. Women are vigorously promoted and championed and depending on which team you're with, outnumber the men by a wide margin. Culturally a very competitive work environment and annual raises are discussed amongst the people-leaders with each having to out-compete others for raises. While the company believes this encourages collaboration - this is counterintuitive and results in the opposite happening. I tend to lead with a servant style and want to support others but this was frowned up by my management ..."you share too much" was a frequent refrain. I didn't choose to leave when I did but it was in the cards. If they weren't one of few companies that offered remote work I would have been gone long before.

Pros

Optics - strong international brand

Cons

Very limited career opportunities, relatively low pay compared to the banks and other card network or payment companies.

A lot to do with less pay

CFE pressure, thousands things to remember and be updated every single day. Pay just 15$/hr can pay rent with that.. growth is very limited...Schedule given as they want.. hours as bussiness needs! Ppl come and go! Zero job security! In Simple words "low paid call centre with high pressure" They use people and throw them a bunch of crazy women's working as team coaches!

Pros

Work from home and they refund for internet!

Best Place to work as IT professionals

I worked here twice about 7 + year. I really enjoyed working. I was par of Global team. Team was Nice, Trusted environment which encouraged all of us. It is one the best company I worked so far.

Family oriented

Very good place, friendly helpful and good work life balance. Shift are though off. Management care about their employees. Good work benefits and fair pay

Bonne opportunité

Très bon endroit à travailler. Ils savent faire plaisir à leur employé. Lieu interessent

Awesome benefits, great coaches and support

I would go back in a heartbeat, although very fasted paced you get great support from experienced agents and coches. You feel like being part of a big family.

Pros

Benefits, corporate environment, rotation scheduling, performance bonuses

Cons

Long commute (downtown Montreal)

Great Place

I really enjoyed working for this company, the staff were extremely supportive and helpful. I had a great team working with amazing people and was fortunate to have the leaders that recognized my service.

Productive and fun place to work

A good opportunity for those interested in Travel Great travel perks, good training on Sabre could be challenging at times due to lack of professional support of the immediate supervisors

Work Life Balance

balanced work life with freedom to prioritize your work. You are able to leverage your experience and provide suggestions and recommendations. Collaborative environment

A good place to work

I think Amex has one of the best work & life balance environment. personal growth is supported by the senior management. In may 25 plus of working experience I have always noticed the best team work environment which is encouraged and supported by all aspects. if I get another chance I will certainly work for American Express again.

Great place to work. Not a growth company

Canada is a satellite office for technology. Investment has been limited in the last five years. Great salary and benefits. Colleagues are supportive.

Pros

Fairness and collaboration

A good place to work

A good place to work. Try to complete the company paid courses offered to improve your skills. The work culture is enjoyable and the hours are reasonable.

Good Work life Balance

Good Work Life Balance. Compensation is lacking, despite extremely aggressive targets. Need to significantly over achieve in order to have a decent take home.

Excellent culture

American Express is a company that strives for excellence in every facet of the business. Quality is everything, and this culture is full of collaboration, efficiency, and challenging employees to develop a holistic understanding of the business. One specific area that is important: is the valuable resources, and the importance that they put on personal development.

Best company ever to work for - amazing work culture; advanced technology; collaborative, friendly and supportive

This is the best company you can ever work for - culture is great, it's like a family - there is support, truly, not just on paper; there is collaboration, respect, advancement; pay could be better but that depends where you are.

Great environment to shape skills

despite paying good time off, and high level of professionalism, i want to mention how they taking care of their employees to train them and how they invest in their talents so no wonder highly expected outcomes

Horrible place to work

You will have no life. You can't move from your chair. Lack of floor help. High stress. They tried to make you happy by bringing in pizza and donuts for everyone.you're constantly scared of losing your job because of not making requirements. But it's not your fault you can't help if people do not want to buy credit cards or upgrade.

You have to be a self motivator

Very competitive, fun meeting merchant. Work life balance. You have to be a self starter. Enjoyable staff, very independent. Great compensation program.

Pros

Work life balance very independent

Cons

If you don’t go out you will not make money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8K