American Express

Canada380 reviews

Found 380 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,577 reviews
expressamericancanadacentrebalancecardcultureglobal

Productive and fun workplace

It feels just like yesterday I was starting out at American Express and it has been a joy the last 40 years. I have made countless memories and friends over the years through my service. Work doesn’t feel like work when you love what you do and I was fortunate our team became a close knit family. Each one of my team mates have made my time there enjoyable and left me with memories I will remember forever.

Felt like I was thrown to the wolves

Not for me. Trainers were good. But after that it felt like you were on your own. Too many cranky people and not enough support. Benefits were good but you had to pay…..works for some people. Just not for me!

Insights into American Express

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment

Productive and loving place to work

Amex Canada, I strongly recommend for job opportunity in the most desireable work environment, where every one happy to help and support each other. I left Amex for personal reason and will come back again....very soon

AMEX review

Working at AMEX is an overall ok experience, it seems that your growth within the company is very limited. It frustrates me that we are constantly pushed to go above and beyond for clients when the salaries they are paying out are incredibly low!! the bare minimum salary should be 47,000 plus shift premiums on top as well.. The bonus structure is also terrible! You are always being pushed to sell more and more and getting crumbs back in commission.. However, there are some good benefits at AMEX such as the free food credit everyday, Nice colleagues to work with, discounts on travel, and good. benefits.. Overall AMEX is a good stepping stone into the industry..

Best work culture in North America

Best place to work! I am always excited to go into the office and work and meet everyone! People are very nice, the company comes up with exciting events and employee engagement programs

Pros

Free lunches and best management

Cons

Base salary can improve

Great

Great place to work. fair pay and excellent benefits. New Amex flex gives employees the freedom to work from anywhere. Need more employee perks in Canada.

Great Entry Level

Great Entry Level Option! AMEX is one of prestigious brands, so very useful to work there. However, not as many as opportunities in Canada vs in the States

Great opportunity to learn more about the dining world!

You work with great people, who are very knowledgeable and supportive! Lots of incentivized overtime once you're out of training. Most of the cardmembers you talk to are an absolute pleasure to converse with. Work culture encourages making a connection during every call as opposed to treating every call like an obligation. Only downside I can think of is if you're living on the east coast, you'll likely be working until midnight or so, since most cardmembers frequent the west coast.

It was very mid.

My overall experience was okay. I learned a new skill. The organization as a whole was why this workplace rates so low in my opinion. The travel program is brand new and due to this, the managers are incredibly unprepared and there arent enough direct policies and procedures in place to protect employees. I basically sat their all day and advised customers that they could not get a refund on their overly expensive airfare. Not a good job for anyone who doesnt have shoulders made of stone. The GDS system used to book airfare hotel and car services, are AWFUL. they are incredibly prone to freezing, glitching through literally every process, and isnt used entirely streamlined. Its just a very mid workplace... My colleagues were the best part of working there. Compensation is also disappointing for the scope of the job. You are basically expected to do a billion things. The bonus structure is incredibly unobtainable, even if they say it isnt and even if you reach the highest tier by some miracle, you wont even be getting that much of a bonus. An incredible program, that could be so much better if AMEX had given it more time to brew before launching. Simply, unorganized.

Pros

Colleagues, work from home

Cons

Organizational skills, Software programs glitch and freeze, bonus structure

Specialized Corporate Travel Counsellor

Absolute mess. I have been working with AMEX GBT for 4 years and it just continues to go from bad to worse. Terrible management. Terrible training. Terrible technology. Can’t wait to find a new job and never have to go back. Absolute worst company I’ve ever worked for

Great culture and values

Amex is a great company with wonderful, hardworking, and passionate people who care about what they do. The company speaks out on issues that matter and you really feel like part of a team.

Overworked and underpaid

Overworked underpaid. On call during some weekends and you only find out the day of if you are needed to work. Salary is almost poverty level. Always pushed to sell sell sell with no commision.

Good learning experience but lacks work-life balance

The pros include the work-from-home environment and the workplace culture. The trainers are all amazing too! However, the training was extensive but I would have liked to do more calls for practice rather than classroom work. You don't get to choose your shifts which is a problem if you are looking for flexibility with your schedule. The hardest part of the job is not knowing where to find the information for cardmembers. Overall, the job is just okay but doesn't pay enough money for the high expectations.

Pros

Work from home, friendly trainers, and leave work (for the most part) on time every day.

Cons

Low salary and high expectations and goals to meet

Profits over people

Terrible company to work for! Underpaid and over stressed. Mgmt is absolutely out of touch with what employees want and just disregard their concerns. Pay based on today's market conditions is so outdated. No work/life balance with all the shifts they offer. You work every single Saturday or Sunday. Overall 1/10.

Learning

New hire and still in training.So far it's great. If you are someone who like to try new jobs and learn something new the job is for you.Be ready, there is Alot of informations and systems to learn.I Never realize that the financial industry had so many rules. If this type of customer service is new for you the learning curve might be a little difficult. They have Great teachers they know their stuff and are there to help

Pros

Opportunity, good training, full time, stocks, insensitive

Cons

A Lots of informations to learn and systems

Not recommend

Very busy and stressful. Worked with team, but not friendly at all. Working weekdays, weekends and holidays like Christmas, New year’s day. Working schedule was very awful.

IT is run by an organized group actively pushing out legacy managers

IT is being overrun by an obvious group of managers who refuse to collaborate with anyone outside their group. Processes suffer and the culture is mired in back-stabbing, mistrust. Managers who are outside this circle have a target on their back, there is a concerted effort to ruin them politically, and replace them with cronies of the 'insiders'. However, the insiders are extremely competitive amongst themselves, also do not collaborate and their teams only react to crisis. Management has created such a pervasive culture of mistrust and heavy handed/ top down rule - that individual employees are not empowered to collaborate or take initiative to solve problems. Everyone waits for a crisis, for management to swoop in and lead the firefighting.

Pros

Outside of IT, the company culture seems positive, fun, collaborative and VERY CREATIVE.

Cons

political back-stabbing, no empowerment, no collaboration, mistrust between IT teams

Don't work at Amex Canada if you're ambitious

Amex Canada is mostly mid-management (i.e. Manager/Sr Manager) with very limited upward movement. Most people stay at their level all their careers or 10-15 years minimum. Management love to promote the "linear" career model as it's the only one they offer. Not that I'm opposed but it does lead to churn. It also leads to disenfranchised among the ambitious. Tenure is very high (a positive sign) but I found this was actually a disadvantage that contributed to the lack of breadth in leadership. They don't understand the world outside their walls - just ask most people that work in business. Women are vigorously promoted and championed and depending on which team you're with, outnumber the men by a wide margin. Culturally a very competitive work environment and annual raises are discussed amongst the people-leaders with each having to out-compete others for raises. While the company believes this encourages collaboration - this is counterintuitive and results in the opposite happening. I tend to lead with a servant style and want to support others but this was frowned up by my management ..."you share too much" was a frequent refrain. I didn't choose to leave when I did but it was in the cards. If they weren't one of few companies that offered remote work I would have been gone long before.

Pros

Optics - strong international brand

Cons

Very limited career opportunities, relatively low pay compared to the banks and other card network or payment companies.

A lot to do with less pay

CFE pressure, thousands things to remember and be updated every single day. Pay just 15$/hr can pay rent with that.. growth is very limited...Schedule given as they want.. hours as bussiness needs! Ppl come and go! Zero job security! In Simple words "low paid call centre with high pressure" They use people and throw them a bunch of crazy women's working as team coaches!

Pros

Work from home and they refund for internet!

Strong Senior Leadership & Overall Culture

Good culture overall with plenty of social groups to join based on your interests/lifestyle.You stay busy, there's no job that's easy, but you are made to feel appreciated for the most part and can be frequently rewarded with perks. Just never forget you are working for a truly international company with an eye on the bottom line.

Pros

Good culture, Strong senior management, typically rewarded for a job well don

Cons

When the 'world' gets tough, so do certain jobs which can turn a typically nice environment upside down

Best Place to work as IT professionals

I worked here twice about 7 + year. I really enjoyed working. I was par of Global team. Team was Nice, Trusted environment which encouraged all of us. It is one the best company I worked so far.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement