American Eagle Outfitters Employee Reviews

values???
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 October 2018
The overall job was a basic management position. The values however were words on a wall. The upper management did not live by the value system. The over night shifts were excessive. The expectations were unrealistic. There was no positive recognition from the upper management. Overall, I do not recommend working here.
Pros
salary and discounts
Cons
long hours, unrealistic expectations, values were words on a wall, overnight shifts
Productive and amazing place to work at!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2018
Amazing people to work with! Fun and joyful atmosphere.
You go in as a usual shift and watch a weekly video and punch in.
Get ready to work on floor and ask manager where you will be placed for you shift. You either have some fun things do accomplish while on shift or you just help costumers out!
If you don't understand something or need clarification just use your ear set and ask anyone! Someone is always there to help you out :)
Not the greatest
Sales Associate & Stylist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 September 2018
Management is not good. No hours guaranteed. Very unrewarding environment.

The best was the team of other sales associate I was with. young and fun people working with you.

No commissions
Pros
If you're a stylist, very good discounts
Cons
shitty management
Misleading
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON11 September 2018
This company is leaning towards to the ‘top corporate for its own good’ level. They used to be a leader in retail. Now their brand has diminished into a sad shell of what it used to be. Would not recommend if you’re looking for work/life balance and decent pay. Management turnover is high.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low wages, no work/life balance, gossip culture
Retail position
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2018
Experience at this job largely depended on the management. I had a ton of positive learning experiences here and the discounts were a huge benefit. There was not a ton of room for progression within the company at an associate level, but I value my time here.
Pros
Discounts.
Cons
Short shifts, fast turn over in management
By far the most amazing opportunity I've had.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2018
this was one of the best jobs that I ever had. Management was the most amazing group of people. They really built connections and friendships with associates. I had started off an a sales associate and since I had full availability I made it known that I wanted to grow with the company. I was then moved up to be an opener and this job would require me to clean the store, set up, pick and package online orders etc. This also allowed them to let me pick items that would go onto the sales floor and arrange it. I then became a rock associate and started doing shipments for them and putting them away into the stock room and moving some of those items onto the floor an taking other things down. They gave me so many opportunities and they saw potential in me as an associate that I didn't see.
Friendly co-workers
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 September 2018
It was very healthy and friendly working environment . I really enjoyed working with a diversity of people it let me understand other individuals culture and behaviour.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Very Tasking
unprofessional and unwelcoming
Cashier, customer service and floor (Former Employee) –  London ON Masonville mall26 August 2018
Managers and employees would have no problem swearing in front of customers which I believe is very unproffesional. Staff was not welcoming and very secretive. There were cliques among staff, and the managers were somewhat unorganized.
Pros
discounts
Cons
the staff was somewhat rude
Fun laid back workplace with clear achievable goals
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB23 August 2018
I've enjoyed working at this store as it has afforded me great work experience and taught me to work hard and create a friendly environment for my coworkers. However, the management staff were not very efficient and unpredictable, thus making working at this store difficult.
Pros
Good discount & a lunch break
Cons
Short, inconsistent shifts & poor management
Good stepping stone!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 August 2018
I worked here in high school. It was my first retail position! It was amazing! I had a great group of people that I worked with. My store manager was amazing.. however the hours in retail part-time aren't always the most reliable. But, I picked up a lot of shifts when I could, and interacted with many types of customers and overcame a lot of my anxiety from that!
Pros
Great discount, great staff
Cons
Sales target, constantly changing management
I quit my first day!!
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, Alberta20 August 2018
I applied for a FULL TIME sales associate position. I was called for an interview. I, along with 6 other girls showed up for the interview. We were all a interviewed at the same time, which I thought was very weird. I was hired, but so were ALL the other girls, which I found out when I went for my first day orientation when all of us were there. Then I found out that this would be part time for now and may the best girl win for the full time position.

All the communication during New Hire was through email. No rapport building with staff or management.

I am sure this would be a great place to work, but for me it felt like a competition!!
Productive and fun place to work when you are young.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB15 August 2018
If you are a late teenager or younger adult and love clothes it is a great place to work. If you are looking to provide for others or have desires in life I wouldn't take this job.
Pros
Cloths discounts
Cons
not enough hours to work.
Enjoyable staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 August 2018
Overall, not a bad place to work for a part time job. Management was not the greatest, no raises, etc. At times, only getting 3 hours a week - hard to survive on that.
Pros
discount on clothing
Cons
horrible management, odd shifts
Good atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
As a retail job there are some things to be expected. AE certainly does all it can to ensure that their employees feel appreciated, with rewards given after years of service and a solid discount plan.
Really fun and chill environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 August 2018
It is a really good first job. The environment is great and it really makes you learn to be out there.

The managers will push you to talk to customers and sell but overall there pretty chill for the most part.
The employees are also all really nice and chill.

I really like talking to customers and engaging as it helped me learn life skills that I will use in the future.
I didn't like however all the cleaning of the store as it gets very hectic and messy.

There's also lots of multitasking in a quick fast pace environment which isn't for everyone. For example, you'll be putting clothes away but during that a customer may ask for help and you need to do both tasks quick.
Productive and fun workplace with very inclusive culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 July 2018
Whether it is your first job, part-time job or even full-time job, you will always enjoy working in the store with many other employees. It's a great community to be a part of.
Goal driven workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2018
Every day started with a briefing on the promotions and the goals for the day. I learned how to sell to a variety of people, and work with a variety of people. My managers were all very goal driven, yet laid back. The hardest part of the job was to try and sell the customer more than they wanted, but it's a skill I managed to pick up. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people around my own age, so it was very easy to relate to them and build relationships.
it was okay
Sales Associate, West Edmonton Mall (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2018
A fun place to work and great people to be around. Working at la senza provided me with the advancement in my skills of working with and helping everyone I come into contact with
Uorganized and careless store/managers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 July 2018
I worked for this company a few years ago and was excited to start because it would be my first job. Little did I know how unprofessional and awful the job would be.

So many red flags
- Four hour shifts (1 every two or three weeks)
- Very little training and yet expected too much from you
- Managers were biased towards more experienced employees and hardly talked to new staff (more experienced employees were very nice and helpful though)
Pros
Huge employee discount - 60% off regular priced items
Cons
Very little shifts
Great Job for Students, Not so much for Management
Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2018
Great work life balance if your a student, Negative and competitive if you're in management. Would not recommend as a long life career but great to start off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Eagle Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K