American Eagle Outfitters Employee Reviews

Found 408 reviews matching the search See all 5,080 reviews
Everything is great, except entire upper mgmt
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada15 November 2018
Unless you are one of the big popular stores, nobody cared or supported you. DMs were absent, or aggressively on you after being so absent. DMs and head office created toxic environments with "cliques" and favourites. I have seen so many amazing, hard-working managers, of all levels, passed for a promotion simply because someone else was a better PR move, they did/didn't like them or just ungrateful. They asked you to swoop in and fix other stores' problems but don't actually give you the job of fixing other people's problems. How hard you worked almost never had anything to do with it, unless you had friends at head office and you all went shopping together. They pushed for sales but wouldn't allow SMs to make decisions that were different or did not "fit the standard", but actually made you more money. Constant praise and recognition to same stores. Conference calls are a JOKE. Not all stores are the same, or even have the same demographic or FUNDING and it is ridiculous to run every store the same way. There are standards, and then there are old ideas that do not want to die. Company is constantly changing processes and creating and removing things meant to help; success rate is 50/50, they change to often to make anything stick, some things do work. The job itself is not hard, the problem is that it's not worth it. Internal hires are constantly low balled, which is ridiculous for the amount of loyal employees they have and HAD, before half the company quit. I'm sure things are different now. The best part really is your own store; the employees and the customers. If you  more... had a great culture in your store, work never felt like work. Discount is amazing, and consistent contests keep associate staff motivated. Associate staff. You can never escape teenage drama, but it's probably one of the best jobs I have ever had solely based on the staff who worked within my store. Everything above was a hot mess, and I'm glad everything has changed and I hope it saves the company. There have been so many talented and amazing people that have worked for this company, I would hate to see them suffer the ultimate demise. Despite everything, I have truly made some lifelong friends. I will say that everyone truly has a different experience with this company.  less
values???
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 October 2018
The overall job was a basic management position. The values however were words on a wall. The upper management did not live by the value system. The over night shifts were excessive. The expectations were unrealistic. There was no positive recognition from the upper management. Overall, I do not recommend working here.
Pros
salary and discounts
Cons
long hours, unrealistic expectations, values were words on a wall, overnight shifts
Misleading
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON11 September 2018
This company is leaning towards to the ‘top corporate for its own good’ level. They used to be a leader in retail. Now their brand has diminished into a sad shell of what it used to be. Would not recommend if you’re looking for work/life balance and decent pay. Management turnover is high.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low wages, no work/life balance, gossip culture
Amazing workplace
Sales Associate/ Cash Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2019
It is a job that you'll actually want to go to every day. The management is very supportive and work-life balance is good. They give good and flexible hours too.
Good - make sure you have a steady income
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2018
I started out as part time In the beginning, I got only one 4hr shift in 2 weeks - until the holidays came around and I got two 8hr shifts per week. Then they would send you home if it wasn’t busy. It wasn’t worth it for me. The culture and the vision were good, the environment and management weren’t. They want you to wear their clothes but you could barely afford it with the pay you receive - unless you are a favourite and get more shifts.
Pros
Discount
Cons
The discount was twice a year! Garbage!
Great Job for Students, Not so much for Management
Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2018
Great work life balance if your a student, Negative and competitive if you're in management. Would not recommend as a long life career but great to start off.
Enjoyable staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 August 2018
Overall, not a bad place to work for a part time job. Management was not the greatest, no raises, etc. At times, only getting 3 hours a week - hard to survive on that.
Pros
discount on clothing
Cons
horrible management, odd shifts
Great Place to work if you are young or young at heart.
Sales/Stock Team (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB29 November 2018
Benefits are good, 10 items at 60% off a month, free items are given out on occasion normally to promote meeting sales targets or for individual achievement. Management is flexible and numerous employees are full time students.

You will not get many hours unless you take initiative and ask. You must be 15 to work as a temporary worker in Q4, 16 to work regularly through the year, and 18 to work stock or work overnights.

Internal training is "cringy" at best. You will be asked lots of questions to which you may not know the answer. It is best to admit that when you are new to the customers that you just don't understand or know and they will find someone else.

Holidays like black friday can be hectic but it is important to always be patient. Customer service is placed first in this company and losing your cool will not be tolerated here. If the store isn't busy normally sales people talk amongst themselves which passes the otherwise painful 6 hours of nothing relatively fast.
Pros
Respectful and youthful work environment.
Cons
Not much room for upward mobility
Fun laid back workplace with clear achievable goals
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB23 August 2018
I've enjoyed working at this store as it has afforded me great work experience and taught me to work hard and create a friendly environment for my coworkers. However, the management staff were not very efficient and unpredictable, thus making working at this store difficult.
Pros
Good discount & a lunch break
Cons
Short, inconsistent shifts & poor management
Great for young people
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC18 January 2019
I think AE have a great mindset when it comes to it’s culture and values. It is a very good company to start when you want to learn about making sales and customer service.

As an assistant , my schedule would always be all over the place and it would never be stable. However, it’s a place where you would always have an opportunity to do something. So if you don’t have a family and you don’t mind working 8-9 hours a day during weekdays/weekends/evenings (until 10-11pm for closings) , It is a great place to learn all kinds of stuffs. Just make sure you have the energy to live up to it !
Pros
Lots of contests for free item
Cons
no fixed schedule
Fun environment
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  North York, ON24 May 2018
There's always something new to look forward to, even seasonal promotions were fun. The environment was great, though stressful at times, but the energy was always positive. Though sales quotas for the staff became a little to competitive, it was always good to know that there are people who are willing to get the job done.
Pros
Looking at the new clothes before they are on the shelves
Nice Job and Culture
Store Associate (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON23 January 2019
Loved the Organization and the staff. The store's culture really allowed my co-workers and I to enjoy work shifts, resulting in a safe and growing working environment for everyone.
Productive and great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 November 2018
It is a good place to work for younger people, they teach the basic`s for applying in more retail, the people working there along with management we kind and very well balanced.
Pros
Learning
Cons
not much
Great management, fun culture and open minded employees
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON17 January 2019
Staff becomes sort of like a second family, coming into work doesn't feel like much of a pain when your working with people who make the time go by faster.
Pros
Family
Cons
Long Hours
Nil
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 January 2019
great culture and friendly people to work with in the company, all group leads are very friendly and will to help and teach you the Job at any time...
Good Job, Bad Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 June 2018
Before this review starts, this is from a perspective of a part-timer.
American Eagle is a very good place to work at, the environment is relaxing, and friendly, and as a sales associate, it's one of the best jobs. The only issue working this position, is obtaining shifts. I've noticed that shifts are given to the same people almost EVERY TIME, the management favors certain people, not based on their performance. That is really the only issue working there.
Pros
Good working conditions, benefits.
Cons
Hard to obtain shifts
Fun and cheerful place to work
Interim Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 October 2018
Great place to get management experience and dealing with different situations, however it is a tough place to move up because most of the senior staff remain in place for years.
Store Manager
Sr. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2018
Good place to work when it comes to out of work life balance. Pressure is there definitely but only the strong survive. Pay is also pretty good comparatively.
I quit my first day!!
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, Alberta20 August 2018
I applied for a FULL TIME sales associate position. I was called for an interview. I, along with 6 other girls showed up for the interview. We were all a interviewed at the same time, which I thought was very weird. I was hired, but so were ALL the other girls, which I found out when I went for my first day orientation when all of us were there. Then I found out that this would be part time for now and may the best girl win for the full time position.

All the communication during New Hire was through email. No rapport building with staff or management.

I am sure this would be a great place to work, but for me it felt like a competition!!
Fun workplace
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2018
At American Eagle Outfitter, the management team have a strong camaraderie. We help one another for making the store to its standard. Guiding and teaching the sales associate work in a less stress and fun environment.
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Eagle Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K