American Eagle Outfitters

Working at American Eagle Outfitters: Employee Reviews

Canada627 reviews

Found 627 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,389 reviews
americandiscountoutfitteraeoclotheretailclothingstore

Fun workplace but dont expect high pay

overall working there for a couple of years was super fun and i made tons of great friends. however, you dont get paid enough for the work you do and no raises ever. the company doesnt care about the employees at all and expect your hours cut.

Aerie Orchard Park - Worst Place to Work

Working at Aerie was pure awful, they have the worst work culture ever. The environment was so toxic and I dreaded going to work. The managers were really awful too.

Pros

The discount.

Cons

No breaks for a 4 hour shift, terrible managers, worst work culture

Insights into American Eagle Outfitters

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Productive and funn

Very good place to work. I learned a lot and also met new people who shared similar interests as me. I would love to work there again and recommend it to others also.

Only good for employee discounts

Pay was low, hours were horrible, and everyone acted like it was high school- only good thing was a solid employee discount!! Only decent employees were the manager and one of the people in sales with me. Everyone else acted like entitled brats. I lasted a month to use the employee discount and quit when I found a better job. Could’ve just been the store I was at, but I would never subject myself to such a lame work environment again.

Pros

Solid discount for staff

Cons

Bad hours, low wage, lame co workers

Good environment

it is a good part time job to take up for a part time gig, if you do well in sales they will definitely promote you from brand ambassador to a sales lead in no time.

Typical Retail Job

If youre looking for a simple retail job, it gets the job done. Great opportunity to work in a team environment and they provide a great discount on their clothes

Pros

chill coworkers

Cons

they push sales even though you aren't on commission

My views on American Eagle

When I was working with American Eagle, they only hired me to clean the store and hang merchandise besides interacting with customers that's it. They wouldn't even train me on cash.

Pros

having a job

Cons

not enough hours

Garbage Company

Do not work here. WAS TREATED HORRIBLY. management does not care about employees at all. Pay is garbage. Huge turnover in staff members... wonder why/

Very fun work place

Made a lot of friends while working here. Work life balance is great as well as a management and co workers. Everyone is very supportive of each other, it was very relaxed and friendly place to work. The only problem is not enough shifts to give around, only worked a couple of hours every week or sometimes no hours.

Unkind Environment

AEO is a fun brand that promotes inclusivity and being “real” when in reality that is not true. The company is very two-faced and is all about how much money they can gain by giving as little hours as possible but still asking employees to come in the day of (feels like you’re on call). The job itself is a lot of fun, helping customers find clothes they like and feel confident and comfortable in. Unfortunately the work environment is very competitive. The management will gossip about others and this will affect the hours you are given and quality of your shifts. There is a strong lack of communication and openness. Overall, a very harmful environment where people are generally unkind.

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Not enough hours, Stressful management, unreliable company

Can be a good part time job

Lots of hours depending on the time of year, but don’t rely on this job for bills cause the pay isn’t good and you will get 1 shift a week from february - june. Managers are ok.

chill but talks to customers a lot

manager always asks employees to talk to customers sometimes customers feel annoyed that we're always around even though they said they did not need help. and the manager will berate us over it. pretty chill job tho

Depends on who your manager is at the time but relatively fun if you make friends and easy work

I liked working here but the major downside was blackout days (days you are not allowed to request off and you must work). Also we would get our weekly schedule every Saturday so it didn't give enough time to plan events outside of work

Pros

60% discount on full price itemd

Cons

bad management and black out days

Fun place to work, but not good pay

I enjoy working here. My coworkers are nice and we have fun while working, but we do not feel appreciated by corporate-level management whatsoever. I've seen store managers leave because the district manager refused to acknowledge all the hard work they put in. I myself have put in so much work for 2 years and am yet still making minimum wage. We were supposed to get raises but then the minimum wage went up and they scrapped the idea. Overall, it's a good environment, but if you're looking for something where you can move up and get paid adequately, don't work here.

Pros

Works around school schedule, nice coworkers

Cons

Low pay

Fun place to work, very flexible hours

Fun place to work but it largely depends on who your coworkers are. Only downside is that it is a retail job and that comes with the typical problems.

Pros

Fun work environment

Cons

Working weekends

Fun place to work.

Fun but it a lot of hard work for no money. Made a lot of new friends. Great perks and contests for free clothing but terrible hours and low pay. Hours are never consistent. One week 30 hours then next week 15 hours.

Can be fun depending on your personality

Management is okay and they are understanding most times, but other times they are kind of passive and not direct. They would hold me back when i was closing and i would often times be done 40 minutes after my scheduled time. If you have worked retail before, you may like it but i didn’t enjoy it personally. customers are annoying and i was given minimal training. They threw me on cash my first day and i had very minimal knowledge on cash. Other than that, all my coworkers were lovely and easy to talk to most times. Also majority of my coworkers were young students like me so that helped. This is not the job for you if you want to only work 1-3 times a week. Before going in to the job i didn’t know that they made a new rule that you have to work atleast 4 times a week. As a student, this was a lot and i found it hard to maintain. The hours were also annoying and long.

Pros

discount, nice coworkers

Cons

Time goes by slow, management

Meh

Good benefits but overall the management sucks, they constantly break rules that employees can’t, says it’s non judgmental but it feels like the mean girls, long working hours with short breaks, have to be constantly doing something even when the stores empty. Overall just bad management

Pros

Discounts on new items

Cons

Short breaks, bad management

fun and chill place to work at, the staff is friendly and easy to get a long. management was an issue but not overall best to work at.

- easy going- chill relax environment as long as we get the job done- needed better people for management but are chill to be with- stressful during busy hours but mostly relaxing

Pros

amazing staff and discounts

Cons

management

Lenient Workplace

Good:- Super lenient with giving time off and management allows you to work seasonally and be hired back without question. - 60% discount in store and free clothes a lot of times. - Store hours are short so it provides a lot of free time. Bad:- A lot of the days are super boring, especially if you are on the floor so days go kinda slow.- No tips or commissions so it’s kinda a lot of customer service for only min wage.

Can be very toxic

At the beginning, I loved the atmosphere and the environment and the coworkers. My particular store has had entire staff turn over in one year, with some managers treating adults as incapable children. Working there long term, because of the constant sales targets and goals while working as a team, created a very toxic environment which included a lot of gossiping, scape-goating, humiliation and blatant favouritism. Upper management takes advantage of employees with no experience to compare it to and use manipulation tactics, even putting excessive stress on lower level managers particularly in relation to sales goals. Overall, being a BA can be a fun seasonal job, but wouldn’t recommend part time unless you are able to truly trust and rely on your store manager and have a positive and uplifting relationship with them. Staying here too long can keep workers in high school mentality, even when many years have passed, and that really shows.

Pros

upbeat and busy environment, friendly coworkers and some managers

Cons

bad management, inconsistent hours ( 4 hours one week 20 the next), only getting schedules a week in advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Eagle Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement