American Eagle Outfitters Employee Reviews

Found 390 reviews matching the search See all 4,895 reviews
Good - make sure you have a steady income
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2018
I started out as part time In the beginning, I got only one 4hr shift in 2 weeks - until the holidays came around and I got two 8hr shifts per week. Then they would send you home if it wasn’t busy. It wasn’t worth it for me. The culture and the vision were good, the environment and management weren’t. They want you to wear their clothes but you could barely afford it with the pay you receive - unless you are a favourite and get more shifts.
Pros
Discount
Cons
The discount was twice a year! Garbage!
Productive and great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 November 2018
It is a good place to work for younger people, they teach the basic`s for applying in more retail, the people working there along with management we kind and very well balanced.
Pros
Learning
Cons
not much
Everything is great, except entire upper mgmt
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada15 November 2018
Unless you are one of the big popular stores, nobody cared or supported you. DMs were absent, or aggressively on you after being so absent. DMs and head office created toxic environments with "cliques" and favourites. I have seen so many amazing, hard-working managers, of all levels, passed for a promotion simply because someone else was a better PR move, they did/didn't like them or just ungrateful. They asked you to swoop in and fix other stores' problems but don't actually give you the job of fixing other people's problems. How hard you worked almost never had anything to do with it, unless you had friends at head office and you all went shopping together. They pushed for sales but wouldn't allow SMs to make decisions that were different or did not "fit the standard", but actually made you more money. Constant praise and recognition to same stores. Conference calls are a JOKE. Not all stores are the same, or even have the same demographic or FUNDING and it is ridiculous to run every store the same way. There are standards, and then there are old ideas that do not want to die. Company is constantly changing processes and creating and removing things meant to help; success rate is 50/50, they change to often to make anything stick, some things do work. The job itself is not hard, the problem is that it's not worth it. Internal hires are constantly low balled, which is ridiculous for the amount of loyal employees they have and HAD, before half the company quit. I'm sure things are different now. The best part really is your own store; the employees and the customers. If you  more... had a great culture in your store, work never felt like work. Discount is amazing, and consistent contests keep associate staff motivated. Associate staff. You can never escape teenage drama, but it's probably one of the best jobs I have ever had solely based on the staff who worked within my store. Everything above was a hot mess, and I'm glad everything has changed and I hope it saves the company. There have been so many talented and amazing people that have worked for this company, I would hate to see them suffer the ultimate demise. Despite everything, I have truly made some lifelong friends. I will say that everyone truly has a different experience with this company.  less
Fun but zero hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 November 2018
Working at ae is really fun but you get legit no hours if you're not the manager's favourite. The discount is really great and worth it but have a second job too to be able to use it
Pros
discount
Cons
hours
Always tiring.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON8 November 2018
Not good for anyone who likes to give good service, most managers can't comprehend good employee services. I'd stay clear away from American Eagle Outfitters.
Bonne ambiance
(Stage) 8mois (Former Employee) –  galerie d'anjou27 October 2018
les employées sont gentils et accueillants. Ils sont toujours de bonne humeurs et s'assure d'avoir donné un bon service. J'ai appris a développer mon sens d'organisation, à communiquer avec les clients et à me démarquer.
Pros
Bonne equipe
Cons
pas de points negatifs
Fun and cheerful place to work
Interim Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 October 2018
Great place to get management experience and dealing with different situations, however it is a tough place to move up because most of the senior staff remain in place for years.
values???
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 October 2018
The overall job was a basic management position. The values however were words on a wall. The upper management did not live by the value system. The over night shifts were excessive. The expectations were unrealistic. There was no positive recognition from the upper management. Overall, I do not recommend working here.
Pros
salary and discounts
Cons
long hours, unrealistic expectations, values were words on a wall, overnight shifts
Store Manager
Sr. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2018
Good place to work when it comes to out of work life balance. Pressure is there definitely but only the strong survive. Pay is also pretty good comparatively.
Productive and amazing place to work at!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2018
Amazing people to work with! Fun and joyful atmosphere.
You go in as a usual shift and watch a weekly video and punch in.
Get ready to work on floor and ask manager where you will be placed for you shift. You either have some fun things do accomplish while on shift or you just help costumers out!
If you don't understand something or need clarification just use your ear set and ask anyone! Someone is always there to help you out :)
Not the greatest
Sales Associate & Stylist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 September 2018
Management is not good. No hours guaranteed. Very unrewarding environment.

The best was the team of other sales associate I was with. young and fun people working with you.

No commissions
Pros
If you're a stylist, very good discounts
Cons
shitty management
Misleading
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON11 September 2018
This company is leaning towards to the ‘top corporate for its own good’ level. They used to be a leader in retail. Now their brand has diminished into a sad shell of what it used to be. Would not recommend if you’re looking for work/life balance and decent pay. Management turnover is high.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low wages, no work/life balance, gossip culture
Retail position
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2018
Experience at this job largely depended on the management. I had a ton of positive learning experiences here and the discounts were a huge benefit. There was not a ton of room for progression within the company at an associate level, but I value my time here.
Pros
Discounts.
Cons
Short shifts, fast turn over in management
By far the most amazing opportunity I've had.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2018
this was one of the best jobs that I ever had. Management was the most amazing group of people. They really built connections and friendships with associates. I had started off an a sales associate and since I had full availability I made it known that I wanted to grow with the company. I was then moved up to be an opener and this job would require me to clean the store, set up, pick and package online orders etc. This also allowed them to let me pick items that would go onto the sales floor and arrange it. I then became a rock associate and started doing shipments for them and putting them away into the stock room and moving some of those items onto the floor an taking other things down. They gave me so many opportunities and they saw potential in me as an associate that I didn't see.
Friendly co-workers
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 September 2018
It was very healthy and friendly working environment . I really enjoyed working with a diversity of people it let me understand other individuals culture and behaviour.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Very Tasking
unprofessional and unwelcoming
Cashier, customer service and floor (Former Employee) –  London ON Masonville mall26 August 2018
Managers and employees would have no problem swearing in front of customers which I believe is very unproffesional. Staff was not welcoming and very secretive. There were cliques among staff, and the managers were somewhat unorganized.
Pros
discounts
Cons
the staff was somewhat rude
Fun laid back workplace with clear achievable goals
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB23 August 2018
I've enjoyed working at this store as it has afforded me great work experience and taught me to work hard and create a friendly environment for my coworkers. However, the management staff were not very efficient and unpredictable, thus making working at this store difficult.
Pros
Good discount & a lunch break
Cons
Short, inconsistent shifts & poor management
Good stepping stone!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 August 2018
I worked here in high school. It was my first retail position! It was amazing! I had a great group of people that I worked with. My store manager was amazing.. however the hours in retail part-time aren't always the most reliable. But, I picked up a lot of shifts when I could, and interacted with many types of customers and overcame a lot of my anxiety from that!
Pros
Great discount, great staff
Cons
Sales target, constantly changing management
I quit my first day!!
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, Alberta20 August 2018
I applied for a FULL TIME sales associate position. I was called for an interview. I, along with 6 other girls showed up for the interview. We were all a interviewed at the same time, which I thought was very weird. I was hired, but so were ALL the other girls, which I found out when I went for my first day orientation when all of us were there. Then I found out that this would be part time for now and may the best girl win for the full time position.

All the communication during New Hire was through email. No rapport building with staff or management.

I am sure this would be a great place to work, but for me it felt like a competition!!
Productive and fun place to work when you are young.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB15 August 2018
If you are a late teenager or younger adult and love clothes it is a great place to work. If you are looking to provide for others or have desires in life I wouldn't take this job.
Pros
Cloths discounts
Cons
not enough hours to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Eagle Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K