American Eagle Outfitters Employee Reviews

Enjoyable staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 August 2018
Overall, not a bad place to work for a part time job. Management was not the greatest, no raises, etc. At times, only getting 3 hours a week - hard to survive on that.
Pros
discount on clothing
Cons
horrible management, odd shifts
Good atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
As a retail job there are some things to be expected. AE certainly does all it can to ensure that their employees feel appreciated, with rewards given after years of service and a solid discount plan.
Really fun and chill environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 August 2018
It is a really good first job. The environment is great and it really makes you learn to be out there.

The managers will push you to talk to customers and sell but overall there pretty chill for the most part.
The employees are also all really nice and chill.

I really like talking to customers and engaging as it helped me learn life skills that I will use in the future.
I didn't like however all the cleaning of the store as it gets very hectic and messy.

There's also lots of multitasking in a quick fast pace environment which isn't for everyone. For example, you'll be putting clothes away but during that a customer may ask for help and you need to do both tasks quick.
Productive and fun workplace with very inclusive culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 July 2018
Whether it is your first job, part-time job or even full-time job, you will always enjoy working in the store with many other employees. It's a great community to be a part of.
Goal driven workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2018
Every day started with a briefing on the promotions and the goals for the day. I learned how to sell to a variety of people, and work with a variety of people. My managers were all very goal driven, yet laid back. The hardest part of the job was to try and sell the customer more than they wanted, but it's a skill I managed to pick up. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people around my own age, so it was very easy to relate to them and build relationships.
it was okay
Sales Associate, West Edmonton Mall (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2018
A fun place to work and great people to be around. Working at la senza provided me with the advancement in my skills of working with and helping everyone I come into contact with
Uorganized and careless store/managers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 July 2018
I worked for this company a few years ago and was excited to start because it would be my first job. Little did I know how unprofessional and awful the job would be.

So many red flags
- Four hour shifts (1 every two or three weeks)
- Very little training and yet expected too much from you
- Managers were biased towards more experienced employees and hardly talked to new staff (more experienced employees were very nice and helpful though)
Pros
Huge employee discount - 60% off regular priced items
Cons
Very little shifts
Great Job for Students, Not so much for Management
Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2018
Great work life balance if your a student, Negative and competitive if you're in management. Would not recommend as a long life career but great to start off.
Sales Associate, Cash Lead, Stylist (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 July 2018
I’ve been working at American Eagle for over two years. The Oshawa location is an amazing place to work at... amazing management who help you whenever needed, and very friendly associates as well. Job is very fast paced at times but is a lot of fun. Overall, great place to work.
Pros
great management, friendly environment, fun
Cons
many rude customers
American Eagle
Assistant Store Manager / Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 July 2018
Overall, American Eagle offers on-going opportunities to gain experience on a management level. Additionally, the company provides a stable work environment with all around supportive team member.

A typical days includes opening the store, driving sales, reviewing reports, coaching employees, and managing pay roll.
Good Job, Bad Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 June 2018
Before this review starts, this is from a perspective of a part-timer.
American Eagle is a very good place to work at, the environment is relaxing, and friendly, and as a sales associate, it's one of the best jobs. The only issue working this position, is obtaining shifts. I've noticed that shifts are given to the same people almost EVERY TIME, the management favors certain people, not based on their performance. That is really the only issue working there.
Pros
Good working conditions, benefits.
Cons
Hard to obtain shifts
american eagle positive experience
Commis de plancher (Former Employee) –  montreal, QC28 June 2018
it was a great place to gain experience selling on the floor. being my first sales job I learned a lot through the many months I worked there. I am no longer there because it was not the fit for me but is still a great store.
Pros
great employees
Cons
no cons
A little disappointed.
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON25 June 2018
Over the course of many years, management turnover has been ridiculously high - for valid reasons unfortunately. Sales staff are never motivated as they don’t work often, when they do, they hardly know what’s happening in the store. No sales goals were ever expected to be followed through, leadership has never been an area AEO has been strong in. Training is disappointing, very little engagement with store management during training.p
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Poor training, Hours, salaries/wages, break/meal period system, poor leadership, high turnover, outdated
Hate it
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 June 2018
Management is childish and unprofessional. As retail employees we take enough verbal abuse from customers, we do not need the same from our superiors. You get scolded for calling in sick. Rules are barely followed. Days off must be fought for. Only ever given short closing shifts, sometimes only 3 hrs. Never day shifts. Over staffed so shifts are few, yet you can never get someone to cover your shift when needed.
Pros
Nice empolyees
Great first job
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
Loved the team I worked with, work was a lot of fun everyday. Managed to move into new positioned and learn new skills. Employee discount was a plus. Overall was a good first job in retail.
Good work environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 June 2018
Worked at AE for 4 years, great first job, but not a lot of hours unless you have a management position.

The job is generally relaxed and fun with the right managers, and there are other positions you can attain like jean experts and leads in different areas.

The discount is the best part!
Pros
great colleagues, good discount
Cons
not a lot of hours, management can be bad
Good working environment
Assist customers (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 June 2018
I learn how to talk and deal with different customers. Was able to gain multiple skills such as being a trained cashier, open and closing the store. How to deal with theft etc.. The more enjoyable part of working here is just the employees and managers because they are so accommodating with everything and relaxed however know how to get the job done as in get in sales for the company. Hardest part is hours get barely any hours.
Pros
Good environemnt
Cons
Barely any hours
Healthy and active work environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2018
It was a fun job. It was productive, I gained a lot of needed experience. The workplace environment was healthy and engaging. Although flexible hours are required, it was worthwhile.
Great Place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2018
It was a great experience to have working in retail. I truely enjoyed working here for the short time that I was. I met some great people over the 5 months I was there
Fun environment
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  North York, ON24 May 2018
There's always something new to look forward to, even seasonal promotions were fun. The environment was great, though stressful at times, but the energy was always positive. Though sales quotas for the staff became a little to competitive, it was always good to know that there are people who are willing to get the job done.
Pros
Looking at the new clothes before they are on the shelves
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Eagle Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K