American Apparel Employee Reviews

Great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
If you love retail and hippie clothing than this is the job for you. Great clothing selection that is made from America and is free trade. Great staff .
Pros
good discount
Cons
not enough hours
Enjoyable
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2018
I was honestly disappointed when I heard that my store was going to be closing down due to bankruptcy. The management and other staff were amazing and we all got along very well. Help was offered where needed and we made the job fun while still being productive.
Productive Stylish Workplace
CASHIER/ GUEST SERVICE ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 January 2018
While working at American Apparel I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I was surrounded by the up-and-coming trends of the next season. Past this I greatly enjoyed the fact that I was able to make good customer relations with those who shopped at the location frequently.
Fast paced, always changing retail environment
Central Canada District Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2018
As someone who worked up to a management position at American Apparel, the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. Though there were constant changes in Head Office in the US and a lot of miscommunication in directives, the Canadian teams were solid and easy to work with.
Very enjoyable work experience
Back Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2018
While working at American Apparel as a Back Stock Associate, I was required to email a summary of store inventory at the beginning of the day if I was opening and at the end of every shift if I was closing. This helped head office keep track of each stores inventory needs as well as keep track of the different trends in sales for each location.

I learned a lot about what goes into organizing and maintaining a high-volume clothing retail store. I learned how to be attentive to fine detail, how to keep myself organized in order to make the most of my time at work and how to properly communicate inventory numbers using spread sheets.

Management was friendly, and promoted a forward-thinking mentality when approaching situations that required problem solving in the back room. If I had an idea on how to help the store become more organized, management would often take my suggestions seriously and implement these ideas if they fit within the current system that was in place.

All of the staff that I worked with became good friends over time. We became a sort of family because we all depended on each other to get the job done properly.

The hardest part of the job was learning how to use Microsoft Excel as I had no prior knowledge on how to properly harness the power of that program before working at American Apparel.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. We all worked together to create a welcoming environment for each other through shared interests inside and outside of work.
Pros
Welcoming, laid-back work environment
Cons
Sometimes long hours during the Holiday season
Excellent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chinook, AB1 January 2018
Absolutely loved working here, was my favourite job. Everyone was very hard working and a very laid back environment that could make anyone feel motivated to go to work everyday.
Pros
Amazing staff
Great job
District Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 October 2017
Overall a great place to work. Inspiring, creative and great colleagues made everything worth it! My job included lots of traveling and working with lots of different people which has helped me grow in a lot of different aspects!
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2017
I worked at the warehouse sale. It was extremely fast pace but I enjoyed it, the time goes a lot faster. The people there were cool. And I also enjoy fashion so that's a plus. Too bad they closed down officially.
Fun and casual
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2017
A fun and casual place to work that was similar to a close group of friends; however, anyone would throw anyone else under the bus for personal benefit.
Pros
free clothes
Fun for young
Assistant Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto3 August 2017
This was a great place to work at while in school or as a second priority. The management was young and inexperienced. The CEO was very corrupt and appalling.
Pros
free clothes
Cons
pay
Amazing place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 June 2017
The last 2 years of American Apparel were its best, a shame the company could not recover from the damage. Mismanaged money and tarnished reputation...
Amazing place to work and grow
District Manager Eastern Canada (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 June 2017
fun place to work, with a great team always willing to help each other
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 May 2017
A fun place to work, with a great team always willing to help each other. Had an excellent boss who was willing to compromise on the hours to allow me to attend school. Never had any conflict or problems during employment.
Great place to work, gained a great knowledge of retail
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 May 2017
I worked for American Apparel for 8 years and in those years I gained an extensive knowledge of retail.
I was the store manager and therefore responsible for all operations of the store. From stock to motivating staff to maintaining an environment that customers would continue to come to.
It was a demanding job but one that I took with pride.
Pros
Great company, great clothes
Cons
Very long hours
Perfect Life-Work Balance
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 March 2017
In a typical day at American Apparel I had the opportunity to interact with a variety of different personalities and see first-hand the results of my actions whether it be with customers or will the store itself, both these aspects had to be the most enjoyable part of the job. Being downtown meant a lot of interesting clientele.
Pros
Discount, Great coworkers
Cons
Commission based
Lots of work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QC7 March 2017
A lot of work thank god for the people around me it made it a lot better but teena are the worst the pay was decent and some rules sucked like no color in your hair no tattoos visible or earing
Pros
Lunchs
Cons
Pay
Bye
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada18 February 2017
There is no real point of writing a review due to American Apparels unfortunate closing. It was fun while it lasted and was a very unique store to both shop and work at.
Pros
discount
Cons
it closed...
fun workplace
Retail Warehouse Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 February 2017
i learned and gain a lot of experienced,management are okay,friendly co-workers,give raise every year.they gave jobs on what job description is.
Pros
free lunches every summer
Productive and amusing work place
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC31 January 2017
From my first shift to my last I always had a great time while working at American Apparel. Although I was only there 2 months, it was a pleasure. The company unfortunately filed for bankruptcy and had to close its doors at my location at the end of December. It definitely sucks that I didn't get to enjoy the experience as much as I would've liked to but its okay. The time i spent there was great. Great coworkers, managers and customers!
Pros
Fun environment
Good people, bad customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2016
American Apparel is known for its prestige image. The team at West Edmonton Mall was very helpful and was always willing to lend some support. The customers were very picky and particular, which made it stressful sometimes but it made the bonds between coworkers stronger.