Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Just another body shop
PCS Commissioning Lead, Canada (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK4 October 2018
-Just another body shop.
-Good work freedom, No micromanagement.
-Managed by subcontractors.
- Pays well on projects
- Good benefits package
-Safety awareness is good.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not interested in developing or retaining resources.
Interesting environment, the best management
Project Controls Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2018
Loved the environment and met some amazing people and have kept in contact with several of them. I found the management to be highly efficient and excellent in their roles.
Good culture
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC11 September 2018
Lots of work during the busy months (summer), can be quiet and slow during the winter. Some departments do not actively seek new projects and clients making the work feel mundane after some time.
good experience to learn about IT
Global IT Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee) –  philippines7 August 2018
could learn a lot from the company, with advance process for IT. and teaches you to be independent on solving an issue. with my supervisors they were very helpful too
Pros
learn different engineering software
Cons
they dont priority internal application for a position
Fun work environment
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 July 2018
Working at Amec Foster Wheeler was an enjoyable experience. The branch at which I was located at was small and the friendships and work relationships I acquired have remained within the years.
Challenging but work limited to the oil sands within the Oil and Gas division.
Lead Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 June 2018
- 8.5 hours per day usually under schedule pressure
- learned a great deal about oil sands mining operations and some SAGD
- company somewhat top heavy as work load decreased
- staff generally friendly and enjoyable to work with
- some training time provided
- safety culture excellant
- hardest part of job was to remain on schedule with tight budgets the last several years
- most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the construction of projects
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Excessive management and tight schedules
Large firm with interesting projects
Project Manager - Environment and Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2018
Large firm with interesting projects and adequate training required for site work. Team oriented and involvement of staff in projects. Social activities often throughout the year.
A stressful co-op job with decent pay. Don't work overtime. M-Excel knowledge is a must!
Internship for Power Distribution (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 April 2018
Got to work each day, made myself tea in the break room, then sat down at the computer for 8 hours (with a 30-minute break). There were 3 layers of management that would separately ask you to work on different and incompatible tasks leaving you to have to sort out the mess. Management demanded quick and quality results and did not care if your work was documented; There was no standard of documentation. The attitude was get the job done fast to pass it on to the people out in the field ("its their problem now"). Because of the messy archives determining what was and wasn't completed was difficult if not impossible often leading to unnecessary repeated work. Management at the upper levels was slow and unorganized. My first month was a slow work load for me while everyone around me was stressed so i asked my supervisor (was replaced that very same month) for more work. He had told upper management and they responded 3 months later, when the department I was at needed me the most, by transferring me without warning to a department that had no work for me.

Documentation and management aside, work gets done quickly at AFW. You will end each day feeling tired but very accomplished with your work. AFW strives for workplace safety and a diverse and inclusive work environment. Work fast, confront management about poor decisions, and don't work overtime.
Pros
Fantastic break room. Free food every Monday. a sense of pride and accomplishment.
Cons
Long hours. Lots of scraped work. Three layers of management.
Poor leadership
Electrical Distribution Designer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 April 2018
My time at Amec Foster Wheeler was less than pleasant. Management and leadership was lacking which led to the layoff of many employees. Moreover, the contracts and projects were taken away from the company as a result of that.
Systems seem archiac
Senior Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 April 2018
I left Amec to return to PwC where I had worked before.

I was very successful and liked in my role and accomplished so much for the company but some things just were not working out for me.
Pros
xx
Cons
xx
Good Company to Work For
Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Muskrat Falls9 April 2018
Great opportunities to learn with the company. Work can be busy at times but enjoyable all the same, Getting out into the field and seeing how the industry works is a great addition.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Low Wage
Great people to work with
Assistant Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2018
All I have to say is I had a great time working here. The company made me feel welcomed and part of the family right away. Would recommend anyone to work here.
Good company to work with
Sr. Instrumentation & Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2018
EPC needs to plan their projects
Work is very challenging & also requires creativity, innovative.
Job with EPC is not for long term.
They hire & fire Engineers
Pros
every 2 weeks long weekend
Cons
not much vacations
A professional company with good work culture and market exposure and projects
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 February 2018
The company has capacity for big projects and hence could provide good work experience and exposure to varied projects. Good team building work culture and relaxed atmosphere. The company has good training programs and safety culture.
Professional engineering firm, with some corporate red tape
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2018
Work environment was very clean and professional. Was the best company I've ever worked at or for. Top management became an issue after numerous corporate sales and changing of those in charge. A lot of red tape occurred, and advancement stagnated.
I worked with a lot of excellent people and accomplished a lot in my career in a short period of time.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Lack of room for advancement
Good Company
Junior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2018
The ability to have flex time helps create a work life balance. The salaries are on the lower scale. People seem to be happy and there is a bit of job security.
Good working environment
Senior Electrical Specialist, Canada (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON31 October 2017
It is a good company, they have good management, there were very good opportunity in the company, they have large projects. People like to work there.
Good work Culture
Intermediate I&C System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2017
The company was good but the pay was not excellent. But still working Environment and management was excellent. Colleague are cooperative and management arranged lots of Lunch and Learn.
Pros
Lunch and Learn
Cons
Salary not Good
my day
MECHANICAL COMPLETIONS CO-ORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 October 2017
· Create format for System Walkdown binders.
· Populate related Documents for each system Walkdown binder.
· Organize System pre-walk information.
· Prepare and review turnover requirements.
· Organize system pre-walk schedule and distribution.
· Interface with Contractors, Engineering, QAQC, CSU, Document Control and Client to completion.

· Create and distribute Deficiency lists related to each System walk down.

· Prepare “Completion” Binders for turnover to Client.

· Attend Construction and Completions System walk downs.
· Record Deficiencies on System Walkdowns.
· Attend Punchlist review and System progress meetings.
Pros
good rotation / good rate / great co-workers
Diversity
Office Attendant/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 September 2017
Always something to do. Helping others that need help. Making sure everything is ready for staff coming in. Going on tours of the site. versatile staff. Meeting new staff.
Pros
Bonuses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amec Foster Wheeler. Our community is ready to answer.