Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Found 186 reviews matching the search See all 1,277 reviews
Productive and fun work place.
Geotechnical Field Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2018
A great company to work for. Coworkers are respectful and helpful.
The geotechnical field managers are willing to work with you to achieve your goals and sincerely care about your work and home balance.
Pros
Great variety of experience
Cons
Long field hours
Very Professional to work for.
Contracted Commissioning Lead (Former Employee) –  Bethune, SK3 January 2019
This company is one of the overall best companies I have contracted to. The management was second to none. They treated all people with the upmost respect.
Good experience
Accounts payable technician (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC30 January 2019
The requirements of the position gave me the opportunity to adapt new methodologies to improve my efficiency. Fast paced environment, working alongside engineers and other departments.
Well ConstructedOrganization
Design Lead & Electrical EIT (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2019
Working at Amec Foster Wheeler helped me gain a lot of client support experience and team building ability. I developed my technical experience and was given the opportunity to climb up the team ladder and work in a team leading role.
Pros
Great Benefits, Well Constructed Team and Organization
Cons
Long Working Hours
Senior Civil Designer
o Senior Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 January 2019
Design and drafted using AutoCad Civil 3D mine projects from Mine and haul roads, plant layout ponds and ancillaries. Compute volumetrics, Coordinate with engineers and supervisor for feasibility studies and supervise junior designers and draftpersons.
Cost Estimator Mining projects
Representative projects (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 December 2018
Wood (Amec Foster Wheeler) is a well known Consultant Company with a great professional team of work and competent human resource support.

For me, it was an excellent opportunity to learn and reinforced my knowledge with wise people who were surrounded me.

It was important to me that I was free to manage my own time, always with the commitment to the issue dates.

Sometimes the lack of information or delay of other disciplines or for any different reason made me feel so stress because it does not allow meet the schedule, it why is very important to know how to manage your time
Pros
Great Professional Team
Cons
Stress
Great place to kick start your career
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 January 2019
They give you great big project experience and with the size of the company you'll have to opportunity to travel all over the conutry and potentially the world.
Great location. Great Managers. Competitive.
Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2018
Overall good team to work with, management was great, good salary and benefits, lots of overtime. Team was large, workload priority was based employees who have been with the company longer.
Pros
Location. Projects.
good place to work.
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Document Controller22 November 2018
I'd love to work here, people are nice.document controller is very busy job but you could learn a lot about the project and excellent people. this is such a privilege working at Kearl & ADW projects.
Just another body shop
PCS Commissioning Lead, Canada (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK4 October 2018
-Just another body shop.
-Good work freedom, No micromanagement.
-Managed by subcontractors.
- Pays well on projects
- Good benefits package
-Safety awareness is good.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not interested in developing or retaining resources.
Interesting environment, the best management
Project Controls Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2018
Loved the environment and met some amazing people and have kept in contact with several of them. I found the management to be highly efficient and excellent in their roles.
Good culture
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC11 September 2018
Lots of work during the busy months (summer), can be quiet and slow during the winter. Some departments do not actively seek new projects and clients making the work feel mundane after some time.
Fun work environment
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 July 2018
Working at Amec Foster Wheeler was an enjoyable experience. The branch at which I was located at was small and the friendships and work relationships I acquired have remained within the years.
Challenging but work limited to the oil sands within the Oil and Gas division.
Lead Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 June 2018
- 8.5 hours per day usually under schedule pressure
- learned a great deal about oil sands mining operations and some SAGD
- company somewhat top heavy as work load decreased
- staff generally friendly and enjoyable to work with
- some training time provided
- safety culture excellant
- hardest part of job was to remain on schedule with tight budgets the last several years
- most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the construction of projects
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Excessive management and tight schedules
productive
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2018
learned how to design fired heaters and pressure vessels.
can learned structural platform and heaters supports
used manual drafting in the beginning and changed to be Microstation software
Pros
free lunches
Cons
overtimes
Large firm with interesting projects
Project Manager - Environment and Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2018
Large firm with interesting projects and adequate training required for site work. Team oriented and involvement of staff in projects. Social activities often throughout the year.
A stressful co-op job with decent pay. Don't work overtime. M-Excel knowledge is a must!
Internship for Power Distribution (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 April 2018
Got to work each day, made myself tea in the break room, then sat down at the computer for 8 hours (with a 30-minute break). There were 3 layers of management that would separately ask you to work on different and incompatible tasks leaving you to have to sort out the mess. Management demanded quick and quality results and did not care if your work was documented; There was no standard of documentation. The attitude was get the job done fast to pass it on to the people out in the field ("its their problem now"). Because of the messy archives determining what was and wasn't completed was difficult if not impossible often leading to unnecessary repeated work. Management at the upper levels was slow and unorganized. My first month was a slow work load for me while everyone around me was stressed so i asked my supervisor (was replaced that very same month) for more work. He had told upper management and they responded 3 months later, when the department I was at needed me the most, by transferring me without warning to a department that had no work for me.

Documentation and management aside, work gets done quickly at AFW. You will end each day feeling tired but very accomplished with your work. AFW strives for workplace safety and a diverse and inclusive work environment. Work fast, confront management about poor decisions, and don't work overtime.
Pros
Fantastic break room. Free food every Monday. a sense of pride and accomplishment.
Cons
Long hours. Lots of scraped work. Three layers of management.
Poor leadership
Electrical Distribution Designer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 April 2018
My time at Amec Foster Wheeler was less than pleasant. Management and leadership was lacking which led to the layoff of many employees. Moreover, the contracts and projects were taken away from the company as a result of that.
Three Streams Eng., Structural Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2018
Very good place to work, the teams are very knowledgeable and easy to get along with. Has the feel of a small family culture within a larger company. High recommended.
Systems seem archiac
Senior Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 April 2018
I left Amec to return to PwC where I had worked before.

I was very successful and liked in my role and accomplished so much for the company but some things just were not working out for me.
Pros
xx
Cons
xx

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amec Foster Wheeler. Our community is ready to answer.