AMD

Working at AMD: Latest AMD Reviews

Canada66 reviews

engineertechnologyteamlearnlongenvironmenthourcompany

Work/life culture is bad, no excitement and management is poor

AMD makes very good products are making strides right now but they have a long way, especially their GPU products. It seems they are overly focused on their CPU lines and don't focus as much on the graphics side. The pay is a bit unfair imo because you are expected to work long working hours (12+ hours) even on weekends with no overtime pay. You can find better pay with more benefits at other companies.

Work with the best and brightest

A company where you have the chance to learn and work with the best and brightest in the industry. Can get extremely stressful during product launches.

Pros

cutting edge technology, good pay and benefits

Cons

semiconductor is cyclical

Insights into AMD

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

decent

decent pay, alright work culture, manager wasnt the best but was only there for a little while. if you can find another place to work, id recommend picking the other place if the pay is better.

High stress, deadline oriented environment, no development

Deadlines and schedule rule over all else. Managers regularly attempt to squeeze everything from employees, from setting unrealistic dates for milestones to making overly optimistic assumptions about how long tasks will take to complete. Repeated attempts to coerce work on your time (emails on weekends asking for task status updates to fix "urgent" issues). There are few opportunities to learn unless it is directly related to a deliverable, very little time is spent on personal or even team development/training because it is work all the time. The turn-over rate is steady and a bit high, always new faces if you like meeting new people.Work distribution can be uneven with day-to-day work being downloaded onto more junior engineers or people who get things done. Lots of meetings to the point that there was a shortage of rooms pre-pandemic. The site I am at has parking and space issues and people are still contemplating cubicle sharing when returning to the office during this pandemic.The pay is fair and there are benefits: medical, dental, eye, prescriptions, RRSP matching, but most other companies in the space offer these. If you want to learning something new, there are a large number of teams, but expect that you will be driving this on your time. In my experience, it seems that this process may not be transparent e.g. a manager may not consider an internal candidate because it would leave other team short-staffed etc. but this would be hard to prove (in my case the manager obviously lied that they knew nothing about my group when they are on a first-name basis with the -

Pros

Innovative technology, technically challenging

Cons

Long hours, poor work-life balance, inequities in pay and workload

Nice working environment

A typical day at AMD consists of many meetings whether it is in person in a meeting room or online. You learn a-lot and always have work and may need to put in extra hours some days and other days you can leave early.

Extremely poor work culture but great people and fun work

Overall the work culture devolves into a few people doing all the work, while everyone else does very little work. Team member son my team were very co operative and insightful when help was required, but meeting often ended up very political with very little progression

Pros

Interesting work, Interaction with software firmware and hardware

Cons

Very little creativity/development. Lots of lazy coworkers

Good place to work for and learn

Good place to work for, but can get overwhelming very quickly. Depending on your team, there is opportunities to get engaged on site and in the community.

When working for AMD my experience was a bit different as i was working for the contractor company. There was no regular Management as they were based out of the USA, The managers were .consistently changing and things were not always accomplished

Productive, comfortable environment to work and grow in

The work/life balance at AMD is very good. The employees are very helpful and will help out when you have questions and need help. I had a very good time working here.

Interesting work. Flexible working hours

I worked in NSERC based project with AMD. The work was interesting and within my research work experience and interest. There were few meetings with the teem to check the work progress, which means I worked independently most of time.

Pros

Good working experience

Cons

Not great supervision

Poor management structure

They use and abuse...offer no career building but yet demand 12+hr working days. no credibility, the US team in Austin is poorly managed and the sr. leadership needs to get a wake up call as to how not to treat people.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Poor Leadership

Great Company

Very nice work environment and colleagues. You get to learn a lot about the latest computer hardware technology. Experience was exciting and enjoyable.

Great company!

great engineering company, excellent team environment. very collaborative and learning work atmosphere. Management is generally accommodative of employee requests.

A lot to learn for those who are willing

There is a lot of technology and expertise at this company that allows you to become a good engineer. However, the technologies are already very developed and junior engineers do not get to do any design from concept.

Pros

A lot to learn

Cons

Long hours. Weekends, . Nights.

Numerous changes through the years -- enjoyed time worked there

Worked there for numerous years -- dating back to the ATI Technologies days. Learned a lot from original management to grow from a clerical position to SME of Product Data Management

Beware! It depends on the team you are on!

The Toronto site typically doesn't pay much as the other established companies in the Semiconductor space, so that is a massive disadvantage. Furthermore, the quality of your work and life, in general, will be dependent on how your team is like. During my experience at AMD, my team was very detached and people didn't talk to each other. You would only be approached for questions or concerns related to work. A typical day would be just working for 12 hours (no overtime pay) on your computer desk and heading back home. Furthermore, I was hired for position X, but on my first day, the position was switched to Y, even though my expertise lied in position X. I was told to wait for 1.5-2 years before I can transition to position X. That was just abysmal on AMD's part! Steer clear of some of the teams in Toronto - I have heard the work culture in the States is generally better! Most of the people hired in this office are UofT students (as part of a 12-16 month PEY program) and for them, this is the best company in the world - this is just because many of them don't get an opportunity to visit other parts of North America (as an intern) and try other professions/tech companies. The company is making strides forwards but barely any of that could be attributed to the Canadian office!

Cons

Productive Work place and great company culture

Great company culture with very talented and driven Engineers. AMD is currently expanding and has a large population of young people. Quarterly events are always a great break from work.

Intern

Excellent work environment. Management can be good, depending on the team. Lots of opportunities to learn and opportunities to learn from different teams.

Pros

Work environment

Good workplace

Enjoyed interacting with other teams in meetings and company symposiums. Interdependency with other teams. learned about product lifecycle from the production to the delivery phase.

Pros

Cafeteria, company outing, sports

good company

It is a nice place to work. AMD is growing very fast these years and I can tell everyone is energetic and working hard there. People feel comfortable to work there.

Pros

flexible

Cons

My IP team culture

Worked as System Administrator

The work culture is pretty good, flexible working from home and nice people willing to help everywhere. I met very knowledgeable team mates who can help you to mentor.

Pros

Improved knowledge and hands on skill

Cons

Low salary ranges

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare AMD with

Learn about AMD in popular locations

• AMD