AMD Employee Reviews

Canada63 reviews
A typical day at AMD consists of many meetings whether it is in person in a meeting room or online. You learn a-lot and always have work and may need to put in extra hours some days and other days you can leave early.
Overall the work culture devolves into a few people doing all the work, while everyone else does very little work. Team member son my team were very co operative and insightful when help was required, but meeting often ended up very political with very little progression
Pros
Interesting work, Interaction with software firmware and hardware
Cons
Very little creativity/development. Lots of lazy coworkers
Good place to work for, but can get overwhelming very quickly.

Depending on your team, there is opportunities to get engaged on site and in the community.
When working for AMD my experience was a bit different as i was working for the contractor company. There was no regular Management as they were based out of the USA, The managers were .consistently changing and things were not always accomplished
there is a reason the president of the company and his little lackey under him and hr all got fired along with the warehouse coordinator and the inventory supervisor
The work/life balance at AMD is very good. The employees are very helpful and will help out when you have questions and need help. I had a very good time working here.
I worked in NSERC based project with AMD. The work was interesting and within my research work experience and interest.
There were few meetings with the teem to check the work progress, which means I worked independently most of time.
Pros
Good working experience
Cons
Not great supervision
They use and abuse...offer no career building but yet demand 12+hr working days.
no credibility, the US team in Austin is poorly managed and the sr. leadership needs to get a wake up call as to how not to treat people.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor Leadership
Very nice work environment and colleagues. You get to learn a lot about the latest computer hardware technology. Experience was exciting and enjoyable.
great engineering company, excellent team environment. very collaborative and learning work atmosphere. Management is generally accommodative of employee requests.
There is a lot of technology and expertise at this company that allows you to become a good engineer. However, the technologies are already very developed and junior engineers do not get to do any design from concept.
Pros
A lot to learn
Cons
Long hours. Weekends, . Nights.
Worked there for numerous years -- dating back to the ATI Technologies days. Learned a lot from original management to grow from a clerical position to SME of Product Data Management
The Toronto site typically doesn't pay much as the other established companies in the Semiconductor space, so that is a massive disadvantage. Furthermore, the quality of your work and life, in general, will be dependent on how your team is like. During my experience at AMD, my team was very detached and people didn't talk to each other. You would only be approached for questions or concerns related to work. A typical day would be just working for 12 hours (no overtime pay) on your computer desk and heading back home.
Furthermore, I was hired for position X, but on my first day, the position was switched to Y, even though my expertise lied in position X. I was told to wait for 1.5-2 years before I can transition to position X. That was just abysmal on AMD's part! Steer clear of some of the teams in Toronto - I have heard the work culture in the States is generally better! Most of the people hired in this office are UofT students (as part of a 12-16 month PEY program) and for them, this is the best company in the world - this is just because many of them don't get an opportunity to visit other parts of North America (as an intern) and try other professions/tech companies. The company is making strides forwards but barely any of that could be attributed to the Canadian office!
Cons
Great company culture with very talented and driven Engineers. AMD is currently expanding and has a large population of young people. Quarterly events are always a great break from work.
Excellent work environment. Management can be good, depending on the team. Lots of opportunities to learn and opportunities to learn from different teams.
Pros
Work environment
Enjoyed interacting with other teams in meetings and company symposiums.

Interdependency with other teams.

learned about product lifecycle from the production to the delivery phase.
Pros
Cafeteria, company outing, sports
It is a nice place to work. AMD is growing very fast these years and I can tell everyone is energetic and working hard there. People feel comfortable to work there.
Pros
flexible
Cons
My IP team culture
The work culture is pretty good, flexible working from home and nice people willing to help everywhere. I met very knowledgeable team mates who can help you to mentor.
Pros
Improved knowledge and hands on skill
Cons
Low salary ranges
ATI was just bought by AMD when I was hired as a cop-op student. The management in the hardware qualification team were very competent and super friendly. The salary was very competitive and they did not enforce very strict working hours as long as the work was complete before the deadline.
The products are very interesting to work on, a fun culture around gaming, but not very visible in the Markham office. Work/life balance is non-existent - many 11-12 hour days every week, some 12-13 hour days. Many consecutive weekends spent working from home or in office or on call. This lasts months at a time, with very little break in between. Lots of knowledgeable engineers and developers, but project management makes it hard to build products effectively. Overall, what could be a fun and rewarding workplace is made unpleasant because employees don't receive breaks or rewards for the hard work they do.
Pros
Interesting projects, fun culture, knowledgeable team members
Cons
No work/life balance, consecutive weekends spent working or on call months at a time, no recognition for hard work
It has been too long since I've worked there. I do remember the team being great. Compensation was great. This was a fun place to work as they strive to catch the competition.