AMD Employee Reviews

Productive Work place and great company culture
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON20 September 2018
Great company culture with very talented and driven Engineers. AMD is currently expanding and has a large population of young people. Quarterly events are always a great break from work.
Good workplace
Hardware Validation Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  CA11 September 2018
Enjoyed interacting with other teams in meetings and company symposiums.

Interdependency with other teams.

learned about product lifecycle from the production to the delivery phase.
Pros
Cafeteria, company outing, sports
good company
ASIC Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 September 2018
It is a nice place to work. AMD is growing very fast these years and I can tell everyone is energetic and working hard there. People feel comfortable to work there.
Pros
flexible
Cons
My IP team culture
Worked as System Administrator
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 May 2018
The work culture is pretty good, flexible working from home and nice people willing to help everywhere. I met very knowledgeable team mates who can help you to mentor.
Pros
Improved knowledge and hands on skill
Cons
Low salary ranges
Hardware Qualification Engineer Co-op student
Hardware Qualification Engineer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 May 2018
ATI was just bought by AMD when I was hired as a cop-op student. The management in the hardware qualification team were very competent and super friendly. The salary was very competitive and they did not enforce very strict working hours as long as the work was complete before the deadline.
Interesting products and technologies, but poor work/life balance and no recognition
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON16 March 2018
The products are very interesting to work on, a fun culture around gaming, but not very visible in the Markham office. Work/life balance is non-existent - many 11-12 hour days every week, some 12-13 hour days. Many consecutive weekends spent working from home or in office or on call. This lasts months at a time, with very little break in between. Lots of knowledgeable engineers and developers, but project management makes it hard to build products effectively. Overall, what could be a fun and rewarding workplace is made unpleasant because employees don't receive breaks or rewards for the hard work they do.
Pros
Interesting projects, fun culture, knowledgeable team members
Cons
No work/life balance, consecutive weekends spent working or on call months at a time, no recognition for hard work
Was a great place to work. The team in Austin is great.
SR MANAGER, CENTRAL DEMAND MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 February 2018
It has been too long since I've worked there. I do remember the team being great. Compensation was great. This was a fun place to work as they strive to catch the competition.
Great working conditions
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 January 2018
Had my student placement there, and I enjoyed every moment. Work had multiple facets and had was able to work on a multitude problems that helped me grow as a person and engineer.
Pros
great team members and managers
Cons
Working with teams around the globe sometimes necessitated communication during off-work hours
Interesting work and fun co-workers
Software Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 July 2017
This was my first job out of university, and I was very happy to have worked here. I learned a lot about what I do and do not want out of a job. One problem I encountered was that I was often put on tasks that did not fit my interest, despite working in a team focused almost entirely on interesting things.
Pros
Fun, interesting work environment
Cons
Long hours, deadlines
Best Place to Learn A Lot
Junior Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ambala Cantt, Haryana, India19 May 2017
mdi is a company full of great people who are always ready to share their knowledge. A company where you are totally integrated into the system. A person donot realize how time passes by quickly.

Want to know more about AMD?

Ask a question
AMD has turned the corner.
Senior Manager, Advanced Micro Devices (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON14 March 2017
When I was at AMD it felt like the company was afraid to take risks and go after something which has potential with a risk factor attached to it. Since I left many of the decision making people in upper management changed and now they are on a road to recovery and potential.
Pros
People, Work Environment, Benefits.
Cons
Lack of risk taking.
Highly team oriented environment provided a crash course in layout
Analog Design Engineer 2 (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 February 2017
Best part of the job was the teamwork atmosphere, all questions were welcome and indeed encouraged.

Tight deadlines working on multiple technodes in multiple development environments allowed me to develop a diversity of skills.

A downside of the frenetic pace was that it didn't permit much time for reflection or planning and executing career development goals.
Fumbling towards profitability
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Markham12 July 2016
One of the oldest high tech companies in the world, of the same vintage as Intel, but still seems like a work in progress.

Organization is spotty, mistakes are made and often swept under the rug and lessons rarely ever learned from and often repeated.

The work is always interesting.
Pros
Never boring.
Cons
Some individuals are more equal than others.
Different team to team
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON21 April 2016
Depends on your team. I've got a great one and so far every day is fun, manager is an engineer so way less bull**** to deal with.
Pros
People, Salary
Cons
Crunch times, Bonuses(Lack of)
Great company, friendly workspace
Senior Software developer, AMD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2016
Absolutely great company that cares about its employers.
I loved working in AMD, it was friendly and supportive atmosphere
They also provide amenities like gym, yoga classes etc.
Great community
Basic job only, nothing else.
Design Verification Engineer / Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 February 2016
There is no future with this company, go some where else.
Basic pay only, happy to have a job. Good work life balance.
Based on company performance no stocks and/or bonus.
Cons
Fun place to work, overshadowed by financial gloom.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 January 2016
AMD is a great workplace with talented colleagues, and getting to work on innovative projects.

The company's lack of success in the marketplace casts a dark cloud over everything however, making it harder to enjoy a great day at the office.
Pros
Innovative engineering
Cons
Company in poor financial health
Great people, tough road ahead
Director, Product Marketing (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 October 2015
Exciting to work with such advanced technology, get to work with some of the most intelligent people in the industry, employees compensated more than fairly,. However, a lot of management change over the years has created uncertainty and the path to profitability is not clear currently.
Excellent work place
Member of Technical Staff/Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario5 October 2015
It had been an exciting and productive 18+ tears at AMD/ATI organization. I was given all the opportunities to learn and grow in Characterization, Board design, Validation, program management and managing a group of 14 engineers. I was able to train Engineering students from prominent universities in the province of Ontario and create a positive dynamic environment for everyone to enjoy.
I was able to work on world class products that captured the imagination of millions of people.
Overall it was all worthwhile the adventure.
Pros
Unimaginable oppertunity
Cons
Being a global organization, it is difficult to get everyone onboard in certain decision making process. However, everyone understand what is at stake at the end of the day.
Great people, Great work
PEY Student internship (Former Employee) –  Markham17 June 2015
Great place to work with relevant experience. The only downside is your hours might be longer than usual, and the company is in financial hardship.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMD. Our community is ready to answer.

AMD Reviews by Location