Altus Group

Altus Group Employee Reviews

Canada78 reviews

Very political, over worked, underappreciated

There's a lot that can be said about working here, from day one you are given what to expect about the role and your input. Almost none of this becomes reality and the longer you work here the more you realize the disconnect. You are constantly drowning in work and are expected to put in time during evenings and weekends (not occasionally, but consistently) and feel shamed when you don't. Managers only notice and bring up the mistakes you make and never the good work youve done. Overtime this destroys your confidence as you begin believing that anything you do is wrong and are constantly underappreciated. On top of this, they pay you the bare minimum they can starting out. I would proceed with caution with Altus and do your due diligence for who you will be working for and who will be on your team

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long hours, underappreciated, underpaid, very political

A few words about this place

Alright downtown location.....unfortunately that is really the only good item I can say about this firm.Promotions and career advancement are absent.Recently left to go work at a boutique firm where things actually run like a normal company

Insights into Altus Group

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

For the long term ?

I know everything doesn't come down to money but pay is low for industry norms. You'll have a job here not a career - if that makes sense.Unrewarding on a daily, weekly and monthly basis - middle and upper management are ordinary do nothing to motivate you at all.

Very unorganized for me at least

I would consider this place very unorganized from a management point of view. Unrealistic expectations from mgt for very low pay. Really bad on the work / life balance.

Only for the short term

I had a so-so job - very boring and unrewarding.But this place if a firm that you can work from home. I regretted joining this place within weeks of starting. Senior leadership are only concerned about themselves. Not sure what to do next.

Altus Group is a nice place if you are seeking opportunities in the real estate industry.

I am in a really small AFM group within a large cost&PM group. Basically, only two people are doing the exact jobs on a daily basis. The good thing is if you are confident with your work, and your director and clients think so as well. You can manage everything step by step, just you manage yourself, and deliver the work by the deadline. The bad thing is you don't have too many resources inside the company to learn, especially when you have an engineering background and want to develop in this area. They don't have PEng, or technical experts on board to ask and learn, which might limit your improvement, especially the first 5 years of engineering talents are important to pursue some kinds of certificates/titles.

Pros

Relax work environment, flexible work mode (Hybrid), nice office, stable clients, and stable workloads.

Cons

Not engineering-related, lower pay at the beginning.

not a fair place to work

No performance reviews before merit / bonus letter sent to you. Very bias and subjective, mgmt keep promoting the same group of people every year. Working hours are long, Organizational change happens frequently these years.

Positive atmosphere

Good managers, co-workers, pleasant place to work, Monday to Friday, good hours, good experience, enjoyable, good benefits, and good work/life balance

Amazing place

Amazing place if your not a process person.Hole cow ! Where do I begin - externally they present themselves as a large company; that's what I anticipated when I walked into this place. NOT !Once you walk into this place you will realize this is a very small place with no P&P what so ever. It's bordering on the embarrassing !

Waste of Time & Effort at this Place

My time here can be best describe as a waste of time and effort....I was employed here a short time, just over 1 year but I quickly realized that this place is a waste of time.....just hung on until I found a role somewhere else

Can not recommend

Despite some good colleagues I can't in good faith recommend this place - here's why:1. Distant managers that have no interest in building up the employees below them - to protect themselves2. Mediocre comp. 3. Embarrassing project management practices

No concern for employee growth or development

No concern for employee growth or development.......I could do the same job for years with no recognition or opportunity for promotion......probably one of the worst direct mangers I have ever had in my career......he's 10+ years with the firm.......any questions......"i don't know" / "i am not sure".......senior management is clueless in my mind yet they pull in great pay.......HR dept is bad......pointless to speak to them about any matters.....

Pros

nothing

Cons

senior management & HR dept

Not a place to move up / Not a place to recommend

Realized quickly this place is not firm where hard work is recognized and you can move up within the company. You will not receive any career support and/or advancement from this place. It's a corporate head office but it doesn't feel like one at all - feel like your working for a small company that doesn't know its way at all. Walk around the office and its quite old - not alot of young professional at all. Comp. is below market standards in my mind.

Pros

zero

Cons

see firm review

What did i get my self into

Below average firm at best (I am trying to be kind)......left to work at a place with processes and structure. I regret my decision to take an offer at this place.

Pros

Cons

long hours, lack of structure

In the rear view mirror

No career growth and empty work environment. Got my start at this place but regret starting there because there are so many better opportunities out there. You have been warned.

Pros

nothing to list

Cons

see review section

My thoughts looking back

My thoughts looking back.....Think about what your looking for in your career..Empty and sterile work environment...Not worth my time...moving on,,,,,,

Poor place to work as graduate

It’s all about titles in this place.Analyst, senior analyst, consultant, senior consultant, associate, associate director, director, senior director, Vice President, president.This is supposed to give you the sense of entitlement and purpose moving up in the ladder But instead it makes a strange micromanagement culture with your work being checked by 6 different people with different opinions and styles of work which decreases productivity and enhances confusion.Also people above you doing anything to blame your work as an excuse for there mishaps so they can continue moving up the endless ladder.

Pros

Pizza pizza during lunch and learns which is actually gross

Cons

All the above

Keep trying Altus Group

Keep trying Altus Group.....where do I begin......A complete lack of training.....mediocre management at best.......Poor team dynamic........IT....LOL.....Keep trying Altus Group

Small firm (not a large one)

This place is a small firm compared to its competitors (and other placed I have worked at). You would think a large firm would have a strong corporate culture / process...etc. but it doesn't. I know its tough but its true for me in my times there.

Pros

Not applicable

Cons

See review above.

First experience in the real estate world

Good for the resume, but that's about it. No comparison to the Big 4 firms (having now worked with both) with respect to salary, process and management.

Zero guidance, direction or investment

Zero guidance, direction or investment No opportunities for growth for me.Prepare to not be given any direction what-so-ever.Not a good work environment. High turnover.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Altus Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement