AltaLink

AltaLink Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
This large electricity transportation company in Alberta is a team oriented environment that is very good to work at. Leadership is good and the Land area was great to work in.
I was able to learn from technical training experts in both the content and classroom environments. The atmosphere and people were both extremely enjoyable. I learned a lot about time management, organization, and educational content creation.
Altalink uses a reverse auction system, that is completely stacked against the contractor. And where altalink will arbitrarily change the rules to suit their desires.
Everyone was very supportive and willing to help in any way, my manager was easy to talk too and persons in my group were very nice to work with. I would definitely look forward to working with this company and apply for jobs with my scope of work.
The Pay and benefits at AltaLink are very good. The work lif balance is good, and the atmosphere would be considered professional with the other employees being open and approachable.
Benefits
Cons
The union
when I was there there were some problem employees that management never dealt with. those few brought the whole department down and made things go slower.
Focused on delivering results in a collaborative fashion. Working successfully with provincial partners within the regulated environment. Safety is key within corporate mandate.
Wonder full company, variety of work very professional work environment. Learned a lot being employed by an one of the well managed private sector organization. Excellent management respect and recognition for employees.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
The work was interesting, worked with diverse group of people, the company provided all that was needed for work even when travel was required. There was a lot of change of management and people moving to different departments.
I worked at AltaLink for a one-year term in 2015 and found the corporate culture to be positive. Leadership and expectations were reasonable, teams appeared to be supportive of each other and there were plenty of opportunities to get involved. Streamlined processes and organizational development were a focus, which made a typical work day fairly smooth.
Pros
Supportive management, friendly culture, regular internal communication, gym on site
Excellent company to work for with a strong corporate and employee culture. Challenging but rewarding environment in the Operations Department with excellent support from AltaLink employees.
Support and manage competitive bid process for materials and services including developing competitive bid documents, managing the bid process to ensure fairness and compliance, evaluating bids and making recommendations.

30 % of my time I create, negotiate and manage contracts in order to effectively manage AltaLink’s risk. Manage contract changes, amendments and dispute resolution. Ensure successful supplier relationships including the identification and development of key suppliers.

10% of my time Participate in process improvement initiatives.

15% of my time issuing and confirming PO's to vendors, solving invoicing issues, payment clarifications.
Pros
Lot of work
Cons
Lack of work recognition from Leaders and Managers
no complaints
culture and pay rates did change after the buy out by Warren Buffet. Work ended once the project completed and work has been slow with altalink since.
Great place to work, a lot of work. Very busy environment. IT was contracted out so not much chances to move within the company. People are very friendly.
I really enjoyed the time I spent at Altalink, the team and leadership were exemplary. The location was right on the LRT line, which made access to work a breeze.
ALTALINK is a good company to work for. The management treats all employees with respect, however their parent company is very budget conscious and demands productivity. The day to day work culture can vary by department. Recent cutbacks have meant multi tasking is a daily priority and can be stressful at times. Staying organized at all times is a must. I would recommend anyone seeking a position in regulated energy consider this employer.
Pros
Parking provided, good benifits package
Cons
workload uneven can be very stressful at times
Overall this is one of the best companies I have worked for. All the management staff members are very friendly and co-workers are very easy to get along and also very much fun loving people. They have great social functions and very good clubs for your extra after work activities. Please apply and experience yourself.
Pros
One of the best managed utility companies in Canad
Cons
Willing to take your opinions on and make changes. Big on team work and team building.
The salary and hours are very competitive and allow for a work/live balance.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Repetative
Everyone was great to work with here. Lots of ways to connect with people through events, volunteering, social activities, and company milestone celebrations.
My recent work experience with AltaLink was truly amazing and rewarding as I have gained valuable skills that I can utilize in my future organization.
I enjoyed working at AltaLink as i got exposed to latest world class state of the art technology. My co workers were very open and helped me blend in. We'd have lunch and supper together everytime we worked out of the city in remote locations and had a nice time reviewing and planning the day and next day jobs.

The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling as i loved road trips.