ALS

Clear
2.9Pay & benefits

Insights into ALS

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Eight Years With ALS

As with any company there ware good times and bad, but more the former and, I was always treated fairly and respectfully by management.If you're willing to show up and work hard you will eventually see advancement. Most of the tasks you'll be asked to do are repetitive and at times a bit mind numbing but if you're the type of person who likes to know exactly what to expect at work from day to day that might be a good thing.

Pros

Full time, Benefits, Vaccation

Cons

Physically demanding, fast paced

Get the experience and leave

Only hire people with a degree (and state that in the hiring process that it is required) although they pay you like you don't need one. It isn't even a requirement when you look at the contract (which is why they are allowed to pay you so low). I was bullied in my department on day shift for three months and it was my first job out of university. They train you on day shift even if you are not hired for day shift for no apparent reason other than the team lead on days likes to play favorites and thinks they are superior. If the team lead doesn't like you then expect to be ignored and treated even worse. Extremely cliquey and do not have any sort of proper training system which is frustrating. I can't even describe how terrible my training was, it was not linear whatsoever and you feel terrible if you did something wrong because trainers will make you feel that way. Once I was on afternoon shift things were so much easier and all of my co-workers were nice and wonderful, a complete shift of energy it was like day and night. Had independence in my job and was always trusted that I knew what I was doing and had an amazing team lead. Good job to learn and get experience working in a lab, however the pay is terrible for how hard you work and are rarely recognized for it. Benefits kick in if you aren't laid off which they usually do once winter hits. Have an unfair system of obtaining a full-time role, as some get it after three months and some after nine for no reason whatsoever. They pay is alright if you get the afternoon premium but much too low on day shift and not even worth -

Pros

Nice people (on afternoon/night shift), Independence on the job (once you are trained), Lab experience

Cons

Low pay, No proper training system in place, Favoritism

I had awful experience. Manager didn’t bother to meet new hires. I was bullied and felt helpless. Training system is awful.

Awful management. Rude coworker. Confusing training system. Unfair pay based on the amount of work. Dint expect to be compensated if you get injured. Health and safe will make it looks like it was your fault.

Pros

Lab setting work experience

Cons

Poor pay. Poor management. Stressful

It’s definitely a welcoming place to work at.

I have a good time working at ALS. The co-workers make my experience there much appreciated. The managers are also nice and helpful. I mostly have good and productive days.

Was great as G&T..

If you don't crawl up the correct alley or family member you'll likely find yourself laid off when push comes to shove. Join the boys club or be laid off. Be mindful they mathematically lay people off, your 3 months probation period is added to the year so 15 months before they start matching RRSPs great right? Wrong add 3 years to that so four years and 3 months they don't have too pay you what they have match for the Deferred RRSP program. The mass layoffs are simply math you climb the ladder position 1-5 potentially salary years of service etc only to be told there's life after ALS when they heard everyone to the boardroom for the layoff ceremony with others. Highly professional.

Pros

Fun coworkers

Cons

Transparency

10 January 2022
It is unfortunate to hear that your experience with ALS was not as positive as we endeavor it to be. Our work is highly seasonal which means that we do need to staff for the busy months and then reduce levels during the slower months. We will step up our messaging to ensure that employees hired for seasonal work fully understand that. Regarding other concerns you have raised, it would be helpful to have more information in order to further review them. Please email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further into your concerns.

Bad management, overworked and underpaid

Management was bad they were unsupportive and disorganized while working there different managers wanted me to do different things there was no singular plan. They even wanted me to do tasks I was not hired for and the training was drawn out with a lot of policy readings with little lab time in the beginning. Scheduling was mismanaged despite me making it clear that I was a student and they would need to be flexible with my time slots. In regards to scheduling, management wanted me to call them to make sure I wasn't needed on holidays instead of them knowing they will need me and scheduling me in it's their responsibility to know that. Couldn't trust my lab supervisor/trainer as everything discussed with her would end up with management. This workplace asks for a lot for minimal compensation in return for large workloads and non-flexible work schedules.

Pros

entry level lab experience

Cons

large workload, bad management, minimum compensation

Travail répétitif - risque grave de blessures

Seulement 2 postes de travail possible: broyage des roches ou pulvérisation. Dans les 2 cas, il s'agit d'un travail très physique dans un environnement chaud, bruillant et poussiéreux. La charge de travail et considérable et le type de travail répétitif avec de fortes chances de développer des tandinites, bursites et maux de dos. Les employés ont droit aux avantages seulement après 9 mois de travail, le temps supplémentaire et les possiblilitées d'avancement sont inexistants.

Pros

Gestionnaire sympathique

Cons

Mouvement répétitif, pas d'avancement

Horrible Place to work

The management at ALS is horrible and they treat their employees like absolute garbage. I would recommend never working at this place and to avoid it like the plague. Staff that have been there for years have never received a raise. It is very difficult to become permanent unless you are a supervisors favorite. Senior staff come and go as they please because they won't get laid off. You are expected to do crazy amounts of work and rush through it because they are understaffed and refuse to hire help to save money, even during the busy seasons. They keep lots of staff as casual so they don't have to give you benefits, sick days or vacation days and you are easily expendable.

Pros

Cons

Under paid, long hours, under staffed, horrible supervisors and management

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and detailed review. Working in a seasonal industry does present its challenges. We do our best to staff up for peak season but mirroring staffing levels with increasing sample volumes is a tough balance to achieve. When you factor in the training time for new staff, it is understandable that stress levels get elevated. It is true that we hire seasonal employees on as casual and have recently implemented a more structured process to convert long term casual employees to full-time so they can get benefits. I don't know how long you were with ALS, but we do provide structured wage increases every year (except last year because of the business impact caused by Covid). We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future career!

It is good just if you do not have other option

I worked in the Tribology division (oil and gas). Small laboratory in a huge corporation with a lot of stress and workload, very fast pace. Regional manager is so racist , lab supervisor is so rude and impolite and they cover for each other. The environment is not healthy at all, oily and full of dangerous odors from chemical solvents that there is no willing to fix the issues.

Pros

You will have full time job and if you are permanent benefits

Cons

Weak and very weak management

23 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It is unfortunate to hear the comment about racist management as we are a global employer, embrace diversity and practice equity & inclusion in our workplace. If you would like to provide additional information regarding this statement, we can look in to it further. You can do so by contacting the Integrity Hotline or leaving a message through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com.Because we work with chemicals and other toxic substances, ALS not only meets but exceeds all H&S regulations. H&S underlies everything we do and it is consistently scored in our employee engagement survey at the top of what we do best for our employees. It is surprising to hear that you felt the work environment was not safe and we would love to understand more about it. If you would kindly leave additional information through one of the two avenues above, it would be greatly appreciated!

Get what you want out of it

I went in knowing that this company isn't built to retain talent and even strong work ethic. I just wanted to work to get relevant experience. I didn't get any benefits during my 'casual' employment there but I've had significantly better offers since being laid off due to the nature of their work and their management. I wish people didn't spend as much time speaking ill of other competing companies and gossiping behind others back but it comes with the nature of this company and those that work here. They systematically work to keeping things the same and that's not beneficial for ambitious and intellectual folks so as long as you are aware of what you're getting yourself into and what you want out of your job, it's a totally reasonable place to work. Majority of the folks have low education and poor academic foundations but this is appropriate for the jobs/roles within this company and they do invest in training people thoroughly. They're no different from any other third party testing company. Since they don't compensate people fairly, they emphasize on company-wide group meetings where a few individuals get recognition which is definitely encouraging.

Pros

Location is very easily accessible for those without cars

Cons

low pay

24 June 2020
Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough review about your experience working at ALS. The majority of employees we hire are temporary due to the seasonal nature of our work. It is true that we hire temporary employees at entry level wages and that the work can get routine. However, for employees that remain with ALS, there are opportunities to develop additional skills and grow a career. Sounds like you saw a bit of that in the thorough training you referenced. Fostering a constructive work culture is important to us. It is great to hear about that in your comments around recognition and training. However, it is unfortunate to hear about gossiping and unprofessional comments about competitors. If you would like to share more detail about this, please go to the "contact us" link on our company website: www.alsglobal.com and someone in HR will reach out to you. Again, we sincerely appreciate your feedback and are truly happy to hear that you were able to use the experience you obtained by working at ALS to find a better employment opportunity after being laid off. We do wish you the best!

Ok for a temp job

The pay is fairly low even for specialized positions in the lab. It is an OK place to work at if you need a temp job but most people don't stay there for more than a year because the pay is so low.

Pros

Not too stressful

Cons

Poor pay, lack of advancement

24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Because our work is so seasonal, we do recruit temporary employees at an entry level wage. For employees who remain with ALS, we offer regular wage increases and career development opportunities so they can expand their skill set and grow their careers. We do appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Toxic Work Environment

Horribly managed. Upper management was cutting overtime hours, no new hires. Laid off without reason to save money. No room to grow, my manager had been there 8 years and only had a $6 raise. They take advantage foreign workers who can't be accredited here and offer them a job because they can't work elsewhere. Manager lied to coworkers, saying to get an English certification to be eligible for a full-time position, one year later, said they are not eligible anyway. Staff are overworked, become grumpy as a result, and belittle you while training. Do not work here long, work here as a last resort. Only a little better than no job at all.

Pros

Money every two weeks

Cons

Work overtime or be fired

25 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is regrettable that your experience was not aligned with our corporate values or intended workplace experience. If you would like to provide additional feedback, please reach out to us at HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com. If you state the location you are referring to, it will be routed to the appropriate Regional HR team for further investigation.

good work place

i do appreciate the workplace .good condition of working but the paid is low the job is a little bit hard the fact you are in the same place for a long time.

25 October 2019
We appreciate your review. It is rewarding to hear that your had an overall positive experience working at ALS. Some aspects of our roles can become routine but we try to instill task variety by introducing rob rotation and giving people access to training so they can learn new skills and complete different tasks. We hope you found a role better suited to what you want and thank you for your contribution to ALS.

Loved it there

The job is very physically demanding and If my body could handle the work I wold still be there. I loved the people I worked with and I loved the job. Unfortunately I got sick and had to move on. :(

25 October 2019
It is great to hear that you loved working at ALS and wanted to stay on with us. We are sad to hear that you felt you could no longer work with us due to the physical nature of the sample prep jobs. While it is true that the majority of our positions in the sample prep facility are physical in nature, we have a variety of roles across the Company which are not physical in nature and perhaps could have been explored. We do wish you the best in your future endeavors and thank you for your contribution while you were at ALS!

Local management and coworkers were fantastic people to work with. Company provided solid compensation and benefits. Would highly recommend to others.

6 May 2019
It is very rewarding that you enjoyed your time working at ALS! We do our best to make ALS a great place to work. While we don't always get it right, it is encouraging to hear when we do for an employee. Good luck in your future career and thank you for your contribution to ALS.

Very Poor Management

A place to make money but no point in thinking about a career. You are literally a number to them and if production decreases, they just push you to work harder. Hard work for the hassle you get

Pros

decent pay

Cons

bad hours, no appreciation

6 May 2019
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate that your experience with ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. We are a seasonal business and often face unpredictable sample volumes from our customers. When we get an influx of unexpected samples, it can create stress in the work site as employees adjust to the increase in workload. Despite this, we remain focused on ensuring the health, safety and well-being of our employees. We appreciate your input and will work further with the site to see how we can improve in these areas.

Awful place to work

There is absolutely no job security at this company. They hire more staff than they need as casual employees and then the majority of them are laid off in the winter. I was laid off in the middle of my shift and escorted out of the building in front of dozens of my former co-workers. This happened to several other employees as well. They pretend to care about their employees, but humiliate them by laying them off in the middle of a shift. I would not recommend working here.

Pros

Friendly staff, flexible hours

Cons

No job security, no benefits

15 April 2019
Thank you for your comments. It is true that the seasonal nature of our work unfortunately requires us to adjust our staffing levels during the slower winter months. We understand that it is a sensitive time for employees and we endeavor to be respectful by holding meetings in a private setting. However, sometimes that is difficult given the layout of a specific site. We will review your comments with local management to determine in what ways we can better ensure privacy.

Great work environment

I loved working here. Great people and great work environment. Work loads fluctuate with the seasons, so during the summer there is lots of OT, but winter brings layoffs.

30 October 2018
Thank you for the positive feedback! It can be a challenge to navigate the seasonal nature of our work while maintaining a team oriented and engaging work environment. It is rewarding to hear that your experience reflects that our efforts are having the desired impact.

Low Wages! No benefits for first 9 months!

The managers are not very friendly or good with people. The wages are low ($15/hr). You start casual, and remain so for 9 months!!! You do not receive health benefits or paid sick days or vacations days or stat holidays for 9 months before becoming permanent. For most places this is 3 or 6 months. During the first 9 months they discourage you from asking for any time off at all! Like you're suppose to work without a break for 9 months. Managers are rude at times. There is a "pass-the-blame" culture. You feel rushed to meet daily quotas. Once you work for 9 months and become a permanent staff member, you get a raise of 70 cents!!!

Pros

Strong Safety Culture

Cons

Low Pay, No health benefits, discouraged for asking for time off

Good for experience only

Good for new grads to get some lab experience but don't expect to get treated well, payed well, or expect to advance within the company. Management could care less about you. You can work all you want and get no recognition, in fact it's never enough. Expect overtime and poor pay! Only good thing is benefits and vacation.

Pros

Benefits and vacation

Cons

Everything else

after 5 years of working here

The company is implementing safe and bully-free environment quite strongly, so you will meet nice people here and can work in a safe environment. The work culture is quite good. People are friendly, or at least professional. I have experienced two different divisions and bunch of different departments in the past +5 years. So my testimony is quite valid. The salary is not that great compare to the amount of work required from you. But there is a good over time opportunity. A lot of casual employees come and go, but if you are really good, the company usually keeps you. Lay off is not necessarily depending on the seniority. So stability is not great. Offers good benefits, but it is only available after 1 year of casual employment. Even if you work as a casual for more than a year, there is no guarantee for you to become a permanent employee. This is the worst con. It is a great place to start for an analytical chemistry graduate, and a good place to build your career. But you will eventually think about the improvement somewhere else.

Pros

good work environment, a lot to learn

Cons

cheap salary, too much turnaround of employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement