ALS

ALS Employee Reviews for Technician

Technician15 reviews
Canada15 reviews

Poor communication skills

Management there have poor communication skills and they like to like, denie and twist words to make you look bad at times in order to get production out of their workers.

24 June 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear about your experience at our Sudbury location as it is not aligned with the work environment that we strive to create for our employees. If you feel comfortable, we would appreciate having more detailed information so we can look into this matter further. You can submit your concern to the "contact us" link on our company website: www.alsglobal.com. Someone in HR will then contact with you. We hope to hear from you and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Get ready to work hard!

Overall, my experience working as a Sample Prep Technician was very positive. I got to login samples received from mines all across BC and the world (drill core, pulp, soil, vegetation). Management does care about safety. The team is great, and as long as you work hard you will succeed at ALS. While the work is dusty and labour-intesive, it is still good, honest work and I would recommend this job for anybody who wants a shot at getting into the mining/mineral exploration or geochemistry industries. Do not apply if you are afraid of hard work.

Pros

Hard, honest work. Great team.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement.

11 April 2021
Thank you for your review and it is great to hear that working at ALS was a 5 star experience for you! It is true, in Sample Preparation you get good exposure to the mining industry and work hard. While the opportunity for advancement may be more limited in one location, we are opening 4 new locations in Canada & the US this year which means we have management positions available for those who are interested in relocating. As a global organization, we have opportunities elsewhere as well! It's too bad we couldn't keep you but we do hope you found something you enjoy!

Insights into ALS

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things

They don't care about your health

Management gets upset with you if you're exhausted, sick, or have other emergencies. You're constantly pushed to keep going and if any mistakes are made you are written up as a result due to physical and mental exhaustion. Only 2 breaks in an 8 hour shift; 15 minute and 30 minute lunch. You are only allowed to call in sick 2 days in a row, any more than that then your employment is locked out until you get a doctor's note which a lot of us end up losing employment at ALS as a result.

Pros

Decent enough pay

Cons

Standing on concrete all day in steel toe boots

6 March 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS is not as we endeavor it to be. We comply with all employment standards requirements for breaks and require a doctor's after an employee has been sick for three days. While the work is physical, overtime is voluntary as we respect the need for people to have mental and physical rest. We hope you work that is better suited to you and wish you the best in your future endeavors!

It is good just if you do not have other option

I worked in the Tribology division (oil and gas). Small laboratory in a huge corporation with a lot of stress and workload, very fast pace. Regional manager is so racist , lab supervisor is so rude and impolite and they cover for each other. The environment is not healthy at all, oily and full of dangerous odors from chemical solvents that there is no willing to fix the issues.

Pros

You will have full time job and if you are permanent benefits

Cons

Weak and very weak management

23 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It is unfortunate to hear the comment about racist management as we are a global employer, embrace diversity and practice equity & inclusion in our workplace. If you would like to provide additional information regarding this statement, we can look in to it further. You can do so by contacting the Integrity Hotline or leaving a message through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com.Because we work with chemicals and other toxic substances, ALS not only meets but exceeds all H&S regulations. H&S underlies everything we do and it is consistently scored in our employee engagement survey at the top of what we do best for our employees. It is surprising to hear that you felt the work environment was not safe and we would love to understand more about it. If you would kindly leave additional information through one of the two avenues above, it would be greatly appreciated!

They tell you one thing then back stab you with lie's

Going through HR do to there false accusations with no steps taken on matter but false accusations and dismissal they tell you employees matter but they don't I was sick and not at work the two days they say I did someting I never did and I will take lie detector test to prove it they know that I was taking steps to go thru there HR to get the people that where bullying me and the three other people

23 October 2020
It sounds like there was a lot happening for you when you were separated from ALS. If you feel that there is additional information that you would like to be considered or if you would like these circumstances to be reviewed further, please contact our Integrity Hotline or send us a message through the Contact US link on alsglobal.com.

Good work place to learn.

Good work place to learn and gain skills and training. I am very thankful that I worked at ALS as i'm now benefiting with all the training and skills I've got.

24 June 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. We love to hear how working at ALS helps people. Because of the seasonal nature of our work, we often find that there is a good fit for people who are looking to gain work experience. This provides a great opportunity to gain valuable experience and helps us get through our busy peak season. We are happy it worked out for you!

Good team atmosphere with great employees. Hard Physical work

The employees are fun to be around and there is a genuine sense of family. However, for the amount of physical labour required, employees are not paid enough. Standing for the entire shift, while lifting 25-70 pounds, constantly. It is also very hot and dirty work, unless you work the graveyard shift, in which case you can make a little more money.

23 June 2020
Thank you for the feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the team you worked with at ALS! The job is physical and we do try to vary tasks to give people a break from the physical work. We will review your comments with local management and see if we can take further steps to improve in this area. Again, we do appreciate your comments and wish you all the best.

good work place

i do appreciate the workplace .good condition of working but the paid is low the job is a little bit hard the fact you are in the same place for a long time.

25 October 2019
We appreciate your review. It is rewarding to hear that your had an overall positive experience working at ALS. Some aspects of our roles can become routine but we try to instill task variety by introducing rob rotation and giving people access to training so they can learn new skills and complete different tasks. We hope you found a role better suited to what you want and thank you for your contribution to ALS.

Very Poor Management

A place to make money but no point in thinking about a career. You are literally a number to them and if production decreases, they just push you to work harder. Hard work for the hassle you get

Pros

decent pay

Cons

bad hours, no appreciation

6 May 2019
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate that your experience with ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. We are a seasonal business and often face unpredictable sample volumes from our customers. When we get an influx of unexpected samples, it can create stress in the work site as employees adjust to the increase in workload. Despite this, we remain focused on ensuring the health, safety and well-being of our employees. We appreciate your input and will work further with the site to see how we can improve in these areas.

Friendly management and flexible hours

Great company to work for, wish I could have had more notice on being laid off as well as being notified that they didn't know when they would bring me back after giving me a date which i would be contacted

30 October 2018
Thank you for the positive comment and it is regrettable that you did not get the amount of layoff notice that you would have preferred. We do try to give employees a reasonable amount of notice; however, there are times when samples reduce so quickly that we don't always have the time to do so. We do wish you the best in your future employment and appreciate the work you did while at ALS.

Productive and fun environment

The prep stample tech was normally fast paced and sort of boring once you got the hang of it. But that was good if you don't want a lot of stress. Everyone was always friendly and welcoming. Management was always an open door policy and super friendly. Once things got busy you could take as much overtime as you wanted, lots of fun events, treats and/or food provided occasionally which was great! Honestly, environment wise one of my best job experiences, little stress and always looked forwards to see the staff.

Pros

Free lunches/treats and fun events, great staff.

Cons

Long wait to get medical, winter lay offs

30 October 2018
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed working at ALS! Your description of what it is like at the Vancouver location is exactly the work environment we actively foster. Thank you for sharing that our efforts are having the desired impact.

Horrible place to work, Horrible Management

Would never work for this company again. The management is horrible. The only people who get ahead are the people who suck up to the management staff and hang out with them after hours or if you are from out east. They have no respect for their workers and participate in demeaning gossip and seem to not want staff to get along or interact at all. Staff is never appreciated and advancement is not based on merit but on the friendship with the management.

fun workplace

great work atmosphere fun caring coworkers . typical day consists of crushing rock and pulverizing samples , drying them and getting them ready to ship out.

Great place to work under the right managment and market conditions

A typical day at work in the Assay Laboratory involves; weighing samples, digesting them using acids/bases and/or Fire assay methodology and using analytical instruments to read the sample composition (eg. Atomic absorption spectrometer or ICP-AES). Every sample must be completed within 24 hours, and quality control is performed daily. Every day has different sample types and involves different laboratory methods. The most enjoyable part is the coworkers! They are great, and always willing to help you when you need it.The hardest part of this job is when the market is slow and there are very little samples to work with. When the mining market is good, and there are a lot of samples, the day goes by very quickly, but when the market is bad the day drags on. When this happens, it can be hard to find something to work on, and the manager gets frustrated too easily with people talking or laughing and tends to micromanage. Other managers in this laboratory are much more relaxed.

Pros

Amazing hours- mon-fri 8 hour days

Cons

the days go by very slow when the market is down

overall is a good place to work and have good co-workers

.it is a good place to work .good pay .good benefit .nice and friendly co-workers .just some manager are not nice,no trust employees, never listen to employees, yelling employees just because they are personally unhappy

Pros

2 days off per week

Cons

some managers are not good

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement