ALS

ALS Employee Reviews for Laboratory Technician

Laboratory Technician8 reviews
Canada8 reviews

Awful place to work

There is absolutely no job security at this company. They hire more staff than they need as casual employees and then the majority of them are laid off in the winter. I was laid off in the middle of my shift and escorted out of the building in front of dozens of my former co-workers. This happened to several other employees as well. They pretend to care about their employees, but humiliate them by laying them off in the middle of a shift. I would not recommend working here.

Pros

Friendly staff, flexible hours

Cons

No job security, no benefits

15 April 2019
Thank you for your comments. It is true that the seasonal nature of our work unfortunately requires us to adjust our staffing levels during the slower winter months. We understand that it is a sensitive time for employees and we endeavor to be respectful by holding meetings in a private setting. However, sometimes that is difficult given the layout of a specific site. We will review your comments with local management to determine in what ways we can better ensure privacy.

Was great as G&T..

If you don't crawl up the correct alley or family member you'll likely find yourself laid off when push comes to shove. Join the boys club or be laid off. Be mindful they mathematically lay people off, your 3 months probation period is added to the year so 15 months before they start matching RRSPs great right? Wrong add 3 years to that so four years and 3 months they don't have too pay you what they have match for the Deferred RRSP program. The mass layoffs are simply math you climb the ladder position 1-5 potentially salary years of service etc only to be told there's life after ALS when they heard everyone to the boardroom for the layoff ceremony with others. Highly professional.

Pros

Fun coworkers

Cons

Transparency

10 January 2022
It is unfortunate to hear that your experience with ALS was not as positive as we endeavor it to be. Our work is highly seasonal which means that we do need to staff for the busy months and then reduce levels during the slower months. We will step up our messaging to ensure that employees hired for seasonal work fully understand that. Regarding other concerns you have raised, it would be helpful to have more information in order to further review them. Please email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further into your concerns.

Insights into ALS

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job

Worst management I've ever seen

Manager calls you racist and a lier when you speak up for your rights, gave out perm lay offs to workers due to covid-19 just to hire new ones 2 weeks later.

Pros

Cons

Worst management

22 October 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience working at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. It would be helpful to have more information in order to further review the concerns you raise. Please call our Integrity Hotline or email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further in to your concerns.

Local management and coworkers were fantastic people to work with. Company provided solid compensation and benefits. Would highly recommend to others.

6 May 2019
It is very rewarding that you enjoyed your time working at ALS! We do our best to make ALS a great place to work. While we don't always get it right, it is encouraging to hear when we do for an employee. Good luck in your future career and thank you for your contribution to ALS.

Good for experience only

Good for new grads to get some lab experience but don't expect to get treated well, payed well, or expect to advance within the company. Management could care less about you. You can work all you want and get no recognition, in fact it's never enough. Expect overtime and poor pay! Only good thing is benefits and vacation.

Pros

Benefits and vacation

Cons

Everything else

Good experience

I liked this job very much. It was great experience working there. Management was great.

It's wonderful working in ALS Laboratory

My shift is 3 to 10 pm. I enjoy the job that i am doing. My supervisor is very helpful in teaching me all the things i must do. also my co workers. The management is also very supportive. The hardest part of my job is i am always dealing with chemicals though we are provided with proper PPE. I enjoy learning new kind of work, knowing how to rate or grade coal samples from the result of what i am doing. I am willing to stay in the company if only the mining companies did not stop sending coal samples for testing. I am one of the last recruit so i am one of the first to be lay off. For what i know there are more than 15 of us who were laid off.

Workplace

Crushed and sorted core samples from variety mines.Efficient productivity to meet deadlines, and quotas.Worked within a selected group of co-workers, and any other groups during the week.The hardest part was working in a dust and dry environment, then became accustomed to the work environment.The most enjoyable part of work was being around and very friendly group of co-workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement